• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you draw the line for third party support?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Counterpoint- if Bayonetta were owned by 'Sega' or 'Nintendo,' and not under the heading of 'Platinum,' then I don't think we would have gotten a playboy photo shoot. The branding division is the only reason that was possible.
That's not true. Nintendo promoted Conker's Bad Fur Day by giving away condoms. PlatinumGames is not a publisher, and the character of Bayonetta was created as part of a game agreement with Sega.

And modern Atlus is a Sega company in all but name. Their copyright is Atlus/Sega for a reason.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's not true. Nintendo promoted Conker's Bad Fur Day by giving away condoms. PlatinumGames is not a publisher, and the character of Bayonetta was created as part of a game agreement with Sega.
That's incredibly fascinating! The more you know.

That's still Nintendo promotion for a Rare game, and they actually carded people before they could actually obtain any of the condoms, but it's a point to consider.

Last edited:

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
Personally, i don't have a line at all. Maybe 4th party characters, just because i know they cannot happen. But even then, i would probably just find it funny instead of being mad.
As someone who would classify myself as a gaming researcher and a huge fan of gaming history and obscure games. I think literally any character could be added and i would be happy. I wouldn't even be mad if they put someone like Bubsy or Gex in, because i personally tend to value how they play rather than the character themselves. I'm a huge fan of when more obscure characters get brought back, so someone obscure getting into Smash would be sick.
The only character that i don't think i would be that hyped for is Sakura from Sakura Wars, mostly just because i have no real interest in the series. But i would still be happy for the people who wanted her in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's incredibly fascinating! The more you know.

That's still Nintendo promotion for a Rare game, and they actually carded people before they could actually obtain any of the condoms, but it's a point to consider.
that was in the days when nintendo owned rare

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
that was in the days when nintendo owned rare
...yeah, like how Sega owns Platinum. Which actually feeds more into my point of why companies that purchase other companies keep the branding separate at times.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
...yeah, like how Sega owns Platinum. Which actually feeds more into my point of why companies that purchase other companies keep the branding separate at times.
no platinum is an independent company that shares the rights to most of it IPs with its various publishers. rare was initially a separate company but became a subsidiary of nintendo's before microsoft bought it around the early years of the game cube. platinum is not owned by any other company.

and you're point about branding doesnt apply to atlus as theyre still credited on all the games

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Phoenix Wright, OP. Sakurai made a moveset for Duck Hunt, a character whose original and only game consisted of laughing at the player and picking up ducks for the dog and flying around the screen and getting shot for the duck. And you don't think he could make a moveset for a character from a series with far more variety and many more games, that has already proven able to have a fighting game moveset in Marvel VS Capcom? I feel like you aren't giving Sakurai enough credit here. He has made several fighters with far less to go on.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Phoenix Wright (barely any moveset potential imo)
Amy Rose (there are way more iconic Sonic reps out there)
Quote (series is too obscure)
Beat from Jet Set Radio (sorry that one guy who shoehorns him in on every single one of his posts)
Madeline (iconic, but very little moveset potential, and there are better indie options)
Hat Kid (not iconic enough, sorry)
Anyone from Danganropa (Master Chief would fit in better)
Without sounding rude, I feel like some of these are unnecessary bashing of other characters. Also:
Phoenix was featured in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and is one of the best characters in the game.

Anyone from Danganropa (Master Chief would fit in better)
No correlation.jpg

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
Amy Rose (there are way more iconic Sonic reps out there)
Quote (series is too obscure)
Beat from Jet Set Radio (sorry that one guy who shoehorns him in on every single one of his posts)
Madeline (iconic, but very little moveset potential, and there are better indie options)
Hat Kid (not iconic enough, sorry)
Anyone from Danganropa (Master Chief would fit in better)[/SPOILER]
I can respect your opinions. But i have to point out somethings i noticed about your reasonings.

"Pheonix Wright (barely any moveset potential imo)"
I know that literally everyone has said this in the past. But Pheonix was in Marvel vs Capcom 3, so moveset potential isn't that big of an issue. If Sakurai and the team can get Mr Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B, and the motherhecking Dog from Duck Hunt and give them fully functional movesets. I think that they wouldn't have that much of a problem making a moveset for Pheonix."

"Quote (series is too obscure)"
While the series can be classified as semi obscure. Was anyone really talking about Ice Climber or Kid Icarus before they got added to smash? And plus, Quote actually does have a lot of significance to gaming history, being one of the first Indie games to really blow up here in the west. While i would prefer Reimu Hakurei over Quote, i still think Quote has somewhat of a shot. The only issue is if Nintendo even wants to associate with Nicalis after all the stuff they did. I'm not going to go into it here as idk if saying what they did is allowed. But you can look it up for yourself

"Anyone from Danganronpa (Master Chief would fit in better)"
I'm going to have to try to put aside my Danganronpa bias for this one. But i want to first off ask something. What does Master Chief have to do with any of this? You could of compared it to another Visual Novel character, such as Professor Layton.
Secondly, what exactly do you mean by "fit in better"? when has Smash ever cared about a character fitting in? We have characters that use Real Life Fire Arms in the same game as friggin Steve from Minecraft. I don't think they really care if a character fits in or not as long as they are fun. Given how Spike Chunsoft and Nintendo have a great relationship with each other, given how Spike Chunsoft helped develop the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons series. I think it stands to reason that Nintendo could go to them to get a character from them into Smash if they so wanted to. And with how popular of a series Danganronpa is. I think that it could be something they would go for.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
"Quote (series is too obscure)"
While the series can be classified as semi obscure. Was anyone really talking about Ice Climber or Kid Icarus before they got added to smash? And plus, Quote actually does have a lot of significance to gaming history, being one of the first Indie games to really blow up here in the west. While i would prefer Reimu Hakurei over Quote, i still think Quote has somewhat of a shot. The only issue is if Nintendo even wants to associate with Nicalis after all the stuff they did. I'm not going to go into it here as idk if saying what they did is allowed. But you can look it up for yourself
I don't know the full extent of what Nicalis did, but Nintendo let Snake and the Belmonts in despite what Konami pulled, still promotes Overwatch after the whole Blizzard blowup, and is working with Tencent to sell Switches in China. I don't think Nintendo's too worried about any moral repercussions in their deals.

On the other hand, I hear Nicalis has a habit of ghosting it's partners, which would bump it up from a shady company to an outright unreliable one. That gives me pause, but I don't have too much knowledge on Cave Story to really say.

Still, assuming Nicalis will decide to be reliable this time around, I do think Quote could happen, seeing as Cave Story is one of the oldest big indies around (Though my money's still on Reimu, if I had to choose only one).

Top Bottom