• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do I start?

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been playing Smash 4 since like 9/2016 but now I’m really trying to get into it now that Ultimate is coming.
Right now, I’m playing Wii Fit and I’m practicing Perfect Pivoting, But idk if that a good way to start. It seems like the most important, but eh.

What I’ve learned so far is that foxtrotting (hope that’s the right term) is a good way to learn how she starts to move as the animation really only give the start-up running frames. I’ve been looking at it on 1/4x speed on training mode. Perfect Pivoting seemed easy....until I went on 1/2x speed and everything went to ****. So! I’m wondering where to go after this. Cause YouTube doesn’t help much, honestly.

Also, look up BallBoy on YouTube. He plays Wii Fit and the way he uses the header is damn near cheating, haha. Seriously, look him up.he could probably beat John Numbers or Wii Twerk Trainer first match. He’s where I want to get to.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
You will want to go to the smashcords website. Once you are there, locate smash 4 and then the wii fit trainer server. There, they should have a ton of players, resources, and vods to help you out. The character forums for smash 4 have migrated to discord so there is little to no activity if you were to browse through them.

As for perfect pivot, players who have played the current build of Smash 5 are saying that it is currently not possible. Due to the changes made to running, a perfect pivot may be useless since now you can perform any attack out of a run (not counting the initial dash animation).

It sounds like you are new to the series so I would reccomend to first learn the ins and out of your character, along with an understanding of the neutral game and how to play it. Learning advanced techniques are fine, but they will get you nowhere if you only use them to show off or an opponent throws you off of your gameplan to the point where you heavily rely on said tech since it is where you put all of your time towards.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
It’s not possible? It saw a Mario player do it in a video they released last week. But I digress. I don’t really trust my eyes. Is Smashcords anything like this or different?
Where do you recommend I start?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Smashcords is like smashboards. The only difference is that the users moved to a different platform to have theie discussions.

If you are looking for information on improving, I recommend that you start with the link below if you are looking to learn about general smash 4 strategies and techniques.

In the link you will find links to videos that I picked out that I think can help new players. It is a lot to watch so do not burn yourself out and take notes over topics that sound important to you.

Link:
https://smashboards.com/threads/motivation-and-gameplay.452404/#post-21894222

-

If you were wondering what a smashcords character server provides it offers the following.

A metagame channel where you can talk about x character's strengths, weaknesses, match-ups, stages, etc.

A resource channel where tech and information related to the character among other things are stored.

And a video analyis channel where players share their tourney matches or online replays for others to view and critique to help each other improve.

Note: Servers may give their channels different names based on x character's lore from their series, so be sure to read "stuff to read" so you do not get lost.

Besides that, each server has their own general,memes, art, and other channels that can be used at your leisure. Smashboards even have their own discord server too.

Make sure that you go over everything in "stuff to read" because you will usually need to type in a specific phrase to see the rest of the channels once you join a server and every server has their own set of rules. Some servers even go beyond the standard servers amd include more channels for other activities that may go on.

The servers used to host JMU's. JMU's are when x character server would invite members from y character server to talk about that specific match-up for a week while sharing resources. At the end of the week a wifi crew battle would start featuring playerd that were picked from both servers to represent their teams.

The crew battle would then be usually streamed and archived on youtube. These events are really fun if you watch one live or participate. As of late, I have not seen many take place, probably in anticipation for Smash 5 to come out. Expect these to make a return upon release.

-

Besides the links that I provided above, I have more to offer if you are interested. Make sure you learn from as many players as possible and try not replicate a popular players habits unless you want to stunt your growth. You have to make your own playstyle.

Top Bottom