• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where can I find detailed information and notes of match ups?

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I want to just take some time to memorize all the standard, optimal, bad moves/combos, setups, bread and butter, mindgames (i.e dash away grab Fox's full hop nair etc) and just some general tricks for the most common characters in tournaments

-Fox
-Marth
-Sheik
-Falco
-Cpt. Falcon

(the rest of the cast is optional)

Pauer

The Pauerful
Unfortunately, there is no detailed list of standard responses available here since it would be a huge amount of effort. The closest you will get to what you're looking for is the matchup section in CunningKitsune's Fox guide.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Despite not entering many tourneys, Cunning was one of the top 10 foxes in the world until a year or two ago. In his last update of the guide, he took feedback from the community and wrote on every topic presented to him. It might not be heavily detailed on current "meta" choices, but it definitely is packed with knowledge and should provide a strong base for any fox player.

Last edited:

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
It might not be heavily detailed on current "meta" choices, but it definitely is packed with knowledge and should provide a strong base for any fox player.
so it begs the question, I'm not a really independent person so I tend to believe anything I hear or read thus being heavily naive so what info is still relevant to learn and where do I learn about the current meta choices?
correct me if I'm wrong but I see the most optimal playstyle for fox's neutral game is retreating shdl, dash dance to wait for a whiff then punish with a grab at low percent and nair at medium percent. I don't really have experiences on guarante followups, setups and combos at the moment

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Then study. Pick a player, watch their videos. Slow it down, pause a lot, rewind and rewatch. Ask yourself questions about why they made the choices they did, and try to answer them. If you're not at this phase of your improvement process, then Ckit's guide is going to be the best thing you have.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
Then study. Pick a player, watch their videos. Slow it down, pause a lot, rewind and rewatch. Ask yourself questions about why they made the choices they did, and try to answer them.
but no one can play perfectly so they are bound to get a lucky hit or a combo, so if I'm looking to learn guaranteed followups, punishes etc. some combos or followups may seem guaranteed but turns out Fox has 6 frames to dj away.

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not sure what you are asking for. Read the guide, you will get a lot of information. Study the game, you will learn more. There is so much information out there at your fingertips, don't just expect smashboards users to spoon-feed it to you. Like Jesus, we like to help people who help themselves; dont be lazy.

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I'm just going to elaborate on what you didn't understand, meanwhile I'll check out the guide you suggested to me

so I pick a player, watch their videos. slow it down, pause alot, rewind and rewatch. Ask yourself questions about why they made the choices they did, and try to answer them.
so I'm going to watch the videos in the mind set of learning guaranteed followups, setups, or combos. But something that seem guaranteed (even in friendlies or solo lab) might not be guaranteed because the person has insufficient knowledge or had 4 frames to jump away or to avoid the supposedly guarantee hit. so how do you deal with that?

also when I pause and this person chose a move that send X to a place where it's to far for a followup or a tech chase, how do I know the the optimal option in this situation to fit this quote? "when you touch him, you want to make sure he dies"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=marth+movement&spfreload=10 i watch this video and they are doing raw fsmashes everywhere. I know that this is fundamentally wrong with marth because quote iirc "if you can get a guaranteed fsmash with marth, chances are you can deal more damage choosing other options"

but having watched a lot of high level marth players I still couldn't figure out what the optimal move that I could do to in place of that fsmash nor I can figure how this player can even play fundamentally proper in this case
all I know is that their dash dance is just random dash dance and that their positioning isn't even positioning

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You could try to put all the variables into a hitstun calculator and then attempt to count frames from a video to know exactly. Most people just get a feel for how long hitstun lasts, and whether a hit was a true combo or not. It just comes with experience. If you're watching top players, more often than not they are connecting their combos properly.

To know the optimal choice also requires experience. And thought. Nobody really knows the optimal choice, its basically an opinion. There are certain things that are clearly better choices than others, but there is no method of proving the theoretical optimal choice. You can just go to a situation and brainstorm between all the possible options, and then decide which you think is best. Someone else will see different options than you, and come to different conclusions. Thats the beauty of the game.

Top Bottom