• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When You See A "Clearly" Disabled Person in Public, What Do You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.K

Level 55
We all know that you aren't supposed to stare at them, nor are you supposed to point them out. But inside, what do you really do. For me, I try to glance over just to see what exactly is wrong. I do NOT make fun of them, but I just want to see how bad they have it. It makes you think how lucky some people are to be normal, and how one small thing can impact your life.

My best friend in middle school has...well, it's like a complete "hand", but it is a palm with little stubs as fingers. For the four years I have known her, I have NEVER seen it. My friends who went to elementary school with her say that she kept it out of her pocket up until the 4th grade, when some idiot kept making fun of her for it. After that, she never takes that hand out of her pocket. It's really sad.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
There's this guy in 11th grade with the same hand disfiguration, he's an extremely good soccer player, a jock, and a *******. :ohwell: My school is a very liberal international school so kids don't have anything to tease each other about cause all of them have long tails to step on if you know what I mean.

I have Asperger's syndrome myself, so I can mildy understand what someone with full out autism goes through and therefore observe them a bit, but really I just to all-out ignore things.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
When I was a senior in high school, we were having fair day where the presidents of all the clubs make booths for their **** and shout around and try to get people to sign up. Well I was the officer of the government club (mock trial, youth legislature, model united nations ****, not like school government) who was assigned to work our booth, and this freshman kid kept getting right in my face and shouting at me about wanting to sign up. I kept telling him to just put his name down, but he like came behind the booth and right up to me and started telling me that he knew more about international relations than I did... like I really cared... so I just told him to get back behind the table like everyone else. He got in my face again so I pushed him over our booth and he kinda flipped over it and slammed into a table. He hit it pretty hard and everyone just went "oh ****" like they knew something I didnt.

So I got in deep **** because the kid had Asperger's syndrome and thats why he didn't really respect personal space. I felt horrible because I pretty much destroyed this kid in front of the whole crowd (he made a pretty big scene after I pushed him, shouting and stuff).

=/ i have a pretty hard time knowing when people have a problem with me and when they just have a problem. Now I just avoid people like that.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Point and laugh or push them over.

But, seriously, nothing. I am pretty oblivious to stuff like that honestly. Funny note, when I was a kid, I didn't understand different races or disabilities, people were just male or female and different shades of colors to me. Ah, to be young.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
So I got in deep **** because the kid had Asperger's syndrome and thats why he didn't really respect personal space. I felt horrible because I pretty much destroyed this kid in front of the whole crowd (he made a pretty big scene after I pushed him, shouting and stuff).
It's not so much personal space, but also we can't tell when we're being annoying, and we can't read that you're annoyed/disturbed and such. Body language doesn't work. So if I was in that kid's position your behavior would have appeared completely out of the blue to me. :dizzy:
As for the shouting, we have a difficulty putting ourselves in other people's shoes, so that's a reason we can't control our voice volume, kinda unaware of it. Then there's all the self-esteem issues that comes from nobody liking you or wanting to hear you and it's kind of a a snowball effect into a lot of problems. :urg:
International relations was probably his fixation, so maybe that's why he was overly enthusiastic about it.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I pay them the respect I pay those who aren't disabled, unless due to their disability, they OBVIOUSLY need some aid.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I have a great disabled story.

Ok, I was waiting in line for some pizza, and there was this group of about four people standing further up the sidewalk. One guy had one of those fake arms with the end that grabs things. Well, one of the women reached into his arm and pulled out some lip gloss. Lol. Well, I at least found it amusing that she uses his fake arm to store things.

Anyways, in NYC, you see disabled people of all types on a regular basis. I don't really feel any which way about them.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I am really nice to disabled people. In fact, and I am dead serious about this, I have had two different women with down syndrome and one with acute fetal alcohol syndrome propose to me because I was so nice. It stinks though because you have to try to tell them no but you know it will break their hearts. You will see me joke around a lot on the forums but I'm pretty understanding and sensitive with disabled people.

Also, I was asked to prom, in an incredibly informal way so it is not like I rejected her in front of a ton of people, by a girl with mental ***********.

Faux

Smash Rookie
Dunno if this contributes to the topic, but I am currently immobile from burns to my legs. I live in a pretty easy going place (except for the homophobia) and people treat me just like they would to a regular person. I think the worse thing that's happened to me while I was in my wheelchair with my boyfriend was some little girl staring at me. And if I think about it... it was kind of cute... in a rude way. ._.
The one thing I can't really stand though is when people see me and think that I deserve special treatment. Thanks for the help, but really, I'm fine. I can do things by myself without you buding in and acting like I can't even function normally. :/

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I treat them how I treat everybody else. If they piss me off, I give them a mouthful. Autism, physical disabilites, mental ***********, I really don't care. If you know what you're doing is wrong and I've told you to stop, I'll cuss you out.

When I was a senior in high school, we were having fair day where the presidents of all the clubs make booths for their **** and shout around and try to get people to sign up. Well I was the officer of the government club (mock trial, youth legislature, model united nations ****, not like school government) who was assigned to work our booth, and this freshman kid kept getting right in my face and shouting at me about wanting to sign up. I kept telling him to just put his name down, but he like came behind the booth and right up to me and started telling me that he knew more about international relations than I did... like I really cared... so I just told him to get back behind the table like everyone else. He got in my face again so I pushed him over our booth and he kinda flipped over it and slammed into a table. He hit it pretty hard and everyone just went "oh ****" like they knew something I didnt.

=/ i have a pretty hard time knowing when people have a problem with me and when they just have a problem. Now I just avoid people like that.
He deserved it. Don't feel sorry.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Women, and their lack of comprehension when it comes to low blows:(.
Except that I know it's a low blow, and that's why it's funny =| It doesn't really need to be pointed out.

Also Skylar, I really hope you're joking. In case you're not:

If you know what you're doing is wrong and I've told you to stop, I'll cuss you out.
Um, except that they DON'T know that what they're doing is wrong. That's the point. Also, when someone uses the phrase "I'll cuss you out", it immediately gives me the mental image of some ghetto trash girl getting all uppity and pissy about something ********.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
They freak me out, it might actually be a phobia but I'm really afraid of how I might react when I see them or if they approach me or whatever. Every since I saw a mentally disabled dude whip out his man parts like 10 feet in front of me I've been scared of them.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I have ADD and people think i'm stupid or not paying attention because i'm looking at some other place but when they see my test grades or a teacher says i broke the curve its a WTFOX.

LOL Fine i'll get serious now, if i see some one with a HUGE deformity i usually look away...
I had a teacher with the short fingers that someone mentioned and i didn't mind that at all...

Crazy people as in the ones that are really whacked out and act like if they were punching someone and yell at that "imaginary" person in public scare me... I run away from those... ._. i don't want to get hit...

but yeah i do have Attention Deficit Disorder, it does bother me that some people think that those who have it are stupid or ********. :ohwell: Its really something little, (can't usually concentrate on one thing)i just said that(the first sentence) for the lolz. Ooh and of course we don't have deformities or "the same face.":psycho:

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Thinking of someone as crippled or not normal is an insult only to oneself, so I just don't care about whatever the condition of someone on the street is, only bewaring of those that are dangers to themselves and others.

As a fun fact, some of Mexico's best athletes come from the special olympics, they're our national pride even with the little recognition they get.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Except that I know it's a low blow, and that's why it's funny =| It doesn't really need to be pointed out.

Also Skylar, I really hope you're joking. In case you're not:

Um, except that they DON'T know that what they're doing is wrong. That's the point. Also, when someone uses the phrase "I'll cuss you out", it immediately gives me the mental image of some ghetto trash girl getting all uppity and pissy about something ********.
LOL

That's funny. Way to defend the disabled.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
You completely missed mine, actually<_<. Funny how Tom, a male, got it! Just kidding Livvers, let's not even go there.

Anyway, I do agree with your statement.:) And don't mind Skyler, he thinks the shooting at Virginia was justifiable. He's your typical Raskolnikov.

orintemple

Smash Lord
One time I was in Florida and I was showing my friend how my brother curls his hand in a strange way when he plays DDR and right when I was doing a "strong hand" pose some guy with a crippled "strong hand" came by and my friend was like OMFG DUDE!!!111one

Also, I saw this crazy lady on the train once and she was talking to herself, like a full on conversation. She kept yelling about how she went on Robert Redford's boat and he would have sex will all the women and all they wanted was his money and how she was gonna "crush" someone. It was some crazy ****.

Also, I know a guy with Tourettes Syndrome and a guy with OCD, but they perfectly cool guys, the disability trio of OCD, Tourettes and ADHD are not really completely life destroying unless you have it to the worst case scenario and the people who have it are generally fine people just with one strange problem that they have to overcome.

I am generally uncomfortable around people with disabilities, at least the major obvious kind, and I feel bad for it, but at the same time I just can't shake the discomfort.

Humans are so frail.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
Working as a server at a resteraunt I run into all kinds of folks. Young, old, disabled, crippled, male, female, black or white. Despite all their differences, if you take a moment to try to get and know them you'll quickly learn they're not very different from you.

I attend Ohio State University, which if you're unaware is one of the largest colleges in the USA. On two occasions this past winter while walking between classes I've seen a handicapped person in a wheelchair stuggling against the cold and snow. On both occasions I've stopped, offered them assistance and have helped get them where they're going. The disabled should be flat out ignored but rather given the same amount of consideration as everyone else, if not more.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think that I'm going to block everyone that joined in 2008... People like Sky have helped me make this decision so I thank you.

How is he in the debate club lol.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
There's a guy at my local Play N Trade that plays Guitar Hero and can get 94% on 'Through the Fire and Flames' on Expert. He doesn't have a thumb or index finger on his left hand; they just aren't there. No lie.

On topic, I'll usually treat disabled people like anyone else. When I see a handicapped person I just feel incredibly lucky that I'm not in their position and that I can live a normal life. They're people just like me, so I don't treat them any differently unless they or someone else gives me a reason to do so. There's actually a guy on my bowling league that has Down Syndrome. Aside from absolutely worshiping the sport and getting an abnormal amount of strikes he's a pretty cool dude.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
LOL

That's funny. Way to defend the disabled.
Hahaha. I guess I should've watched my wording better. Too funny. Oh well, word meanings change so whatever.

There's a guy at my local Play N Trade that plays Guitar Hero and can get 94% on 'Through the Fire and Flames' on Expert. He doesn't have a thumb or index finger on his left hand; they just aren't there. No lie.
My boyfriend works at a game store, and this guy was holding the Wiimote really funny. People do this all the time, so he goes up to help the guy, and tells him the proper way to hold it. Turns out the guy was holding it funny because he was missing a couple fingers =) My boyfriend was just like,"Oh...Ok" *awkward* Lol.

You completely missed mine, actually<_<. Funny how Tom, a male, got it! Just kidding Livvers, let's not even go there.
Then your original meaning had nothing to do with my joke about Wiki getting only disabled women, so that means you just decided to make a sexual innuendo out of nothing, which didn't really make any sense to me.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I have to admit, I have trouble acting entirely normal around obviously handicapped people. Well, physically handicapped people anyway. Mentally handicapped people I have no problem with.

But if I see someone in a wheelchair or something similar, I have to suppress a strange urge to stare at them. I can do that fine by ignoring them. The problem comes if I have to interact with them. I have trouble paying them a normal amount of attention. I can do it, but it requires more effort than I think it should.

I wish I could just act naturally around handicapped people without forcing myself, but it's just not something that's under my control. Perhaps if I became used interacting with someone who's handicapped, I would have less trouble in general with it. For now, though, I just deal with it. They've got it much worse than I do, anyway.

Women, and their lack of comprehension when it comes to low blows:(.
Enough people already suspect you of being some sort of closet misogynist. Why do you seem to go out of your way to reinforce those notions?

I mean, if I were accused of being a misogynist I'd do my best not to look like one. For some incomprehensible reason, you seem to be aiming for the opposite goal?

I do not understand you at all.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
If I'm with friends I might sometimes point it out to them , but for the most part I just either ignore it or not notice it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom