• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Yoshi and Luigi Were Revealed

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I've been looking over the reactions on YouTube, and when it got to the part where Luigi and Yoshi were revealed, I got the same reactions without fail:

"Eh, you two exist. Whatever..."

How unfair!!! I don't know what Nintendo was going for. Maybe it was to show how much of a bunch of goofballs they were, but all it did was kill hype for them dead in its tracks. Every other character had the right tone and execution to be hype. "OH MY GOD, IT'S PAC-MAN, IT'S CORRIN, IT'S DUCK HUNT, IT'S VILLAGER!!! THE NAME OF THE GAME IS SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE!!!..... Oh hi Luigi and Yoshi."

My God does this enrage me beyond all measure, not because it's Yoshi but because it's ALSO Luigi, my other favorite character of all time. Not cool, Nintendo. Not cool

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
They were planning on removing Yoshi from the game because it was brought to Sakurai's attention that Yoshi has recently committed tax fraud.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I mean, did anyone expect them to be cut anyway. And after seeing all the cut veterans? Yea, I understand people.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Perhaps because they tend to be goofy in design and overlooked as Mario brother and Mario’s mode of transportation. I thought it was a humorous touch personally.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
They just saved the best for last obviously. Duh.

Really though, it's mostly just the fact that everyone already figured these characters would return and they didn't really show much change in that short bit of footage for them, so... yeah. I do wish people would get more excited for Yoshi as well but, hey, everyone has their own character that they like. And really, the fact that the likes of Snake, Wolf and even Young Link and Pichu are back, is much bigger news than Luigi and Yoshi being in for the 5th (6th?) consecutive time in a row.

I know I'm definitely excited to pick this game up and make Yoshi my most played character once again though, even if he ends up being trash tier (which I hope isn't the case, but it's always a possibility).

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
And then they had the nerve to not put Yoshi in the playable demo when all the other starter vets from 64 were allowed in! The nerve!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd like to keep some optimism and think that Yoshi wasn't playable because they're experimenting with some really neat changes for him. Otherwise I don't see a reason why he was excluded.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'd like to keep some optimism and think that Yoshi wasn't playable because they're experimenting with some really neat changes for him. Otherwise I don't see a reason why he was excluded.
There's many possible reasons they could have excluded Yoshi. Maybe he was still too buggy, maybe they just didn't want to include him, maybe they didn't think he'd be popular enough for the demo, maybe they're really just trying to push him aside, maybe they just forgot about him, maybe his Final Smash isn't properly ready yet (which could also be why they didn't show that off yet). Or as you said maybe they were experimenting with him.

Whatever the case, I don't think it's that big of an issue, as it gives us Yoshi fans SOMEthing to still look forward to because for all we know there will be (next to) no new representation for the Yoshi series. I know I'm certainly looking forward to how Yoshi will end up either way! Though it would've been nice if he were playable in the demo... it's not the end of the world.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There's many possible reasons they could have excluded Yoshi. Maybe he was still too buggy, maybe they just didn't want to include him, maybe they didn't think he'd be popular enough for the demo, maybe they're really just trying to push him aside, maybe they just forgot about him, maybe his Final Smash isn't properly ready yet (which could also be why they didn't show that off yet). Or as you said maybe they were experimenting with him.

Whatever the case, I don't think it's that big of an issue, as it gives us Yoshi fans SOMEthing to still look forward to because for all we know there will be (next to) no new representation for the Yoshi series. I know I'm certainly looking forward to how Yoshi will end up either way! Though it would've been nice if he were playable in the demo... it's not the end of the world.
I have my fears. Remember in Smash 4 when Yoshi was held off from the other OG 8 for 10 whole months for the explicit purpose of making him "stronger" as Sakurai put it?

He's barely better in the tier list as he was in Brawl...

Thanks Sakurai.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I have my fears. Remember in Smash 4 when Yoshi was held off from the other OG 8 for 10 whole months for the explicit purpose of making him "stronger" as Sakurai put it?

He's barely better in the tier list as he was in Brawl...

Thanks Sakurai.
Actually, early on in the tier lists for Smash 4, Yoshi was actually placed pretty high, so yeah, I do think he was made stronger. It's just due to bullshizz DLC releasing that were pretty horrible matchups for Yoshi, as well as getting several dumb nerfs and Yoshi's general lack of representation in tournaments (not many people like to play him sadly </3) that caused him to drop, and drop, and drop, from his starting point at number 15 all the way to his current position of 34. I remember people were complaining at first about how good Yoshi was at the beginning, and I'm just like... why? He's not broken. He has obvious flaws. I swear people just like to complain about Yoshi just because they hate Yoshi.

To be honest though, I don't really care about tiers that much these days. I'll play Yoshi even if he ends up being the absolute worst character in the game so it's kinda like, whatever, y'know? Besides, at least we don't have it as bad as Zelda. That poor girl has been bottom tier a long time for three games straight. Yoshi usually places higher than her too. I mean, sure I'd like Yoshi to be higher on the tier list, but it can always be worse. I think it's better if you don't focus so much on tier lists and just enjoy your favourite character as much as your heart desires.~

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Actually, early on in the tier lists for Smash 4, Yoshi was actually placed pretty high, so yeah, I do think he was made stronger. It's just due to bullshizz DLC releasing that were pretty horrible matchups for Yoshi, as well as getting several dumb nerfs and Yoshi's general lack of representation in tournaments (not many people like to play him sadly </3) that caused him to drop, and drop, and drop, from his starting point at number 15 all the way to his current position of 34. I remember people were complaining at first about how good Yoshi was at the beginning, and I'm just like... why? He's not broken. He has obvious flaws. I swear people just like to complain about Yoshi just because they hate Yoshi.

To be honest though, I don't really care about tiers that much these days. I'll play Yoshi even if he ends up being the absolute worst character in the game so it's kinda like, whatever, y'know? Besides, at least we don't have it as bad as Zelda. That poor girl has been bottom tier a long time for three games straight. Yoshi usually places higher than her too. I mean, sure I'd like Yoshi to be higher on the tier list, but it can always be worse. I think it's better if you don't focus so much on tier lists and just enjoy your favourite character as much as your heart desires.~
I was more focused on how Yoshi's perceived new rework at the time was a justification for his absence in all the promotional material and that it was a sign that he'd become more prominent than the other OG 8 characters. Mario was front and center from the beginning in promotion and look at where HE is!!! My point was that Yoshi being selected out of the OG 8 SHOULD be justified by giving him extra attention, but instead disappointment...

Long story short, if you're gonna hold Yoshi back for tune-up Sakurai, I expect results!!!

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I was more focused on how Yoshi's perceived new rework at the time was a justification for his absence in all the promotional material and that it was a sign that he'd become more prominent than the other OG 8 characters. Mario was front and center from the beginning in promotion and look at where HE is!!! My point was that Yoshi being selected out of the OG 8 SHOULD be justified by giving him extra attention, but instead disappointment...

Long story short, if you're gonna hold Yoshi back for tune-up Sakurai, I expect results!!!
Yeah that's a good point, but I personally never really bought into that kind of talk anyway which is probably why I missed the point there. Whenever a character is held back like that, I'm just like.. well, they probably have their reason for doing so. Don't get me wrong, I don't like how he's the only OG 8 that gets shafted like this a lot of the time, but it's also something I've kinda gotten used to at this point. I've pretty much accepted that out of the OG 8, Yoshi is probably the least popular in terms of Smash Bros, and the developers seem to be aware of this with how often Yoshi gets the short end of the stick like this.

Honestly though, whenever I think about that stuff, I also like to think, 'how would Yoshi actually feel about this himself?' I then come to the conclusion that Yoshi just happily tags along however he can, whenever he can, just happy to be part of the gang because he's just that happy of a feller! And I just don't care as much anymore about how he's the only OG 8 that's left out when I think about that. Also helped by the fact that, even if he's not present in the demo, he IS still going to be in the full game, which is what counts. Many of us aren't even able to play the demo anyway, and even if we are it's only a short while, so.. y'know.

...let's hope Yoshi does get some more love in this game though, God knows he deserves it.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah that's a good point, but I personally never really bought into that kind of talk anyway which is probably why I missed the point there. Whenever a character is held back like that, I'm just like.. well, they probably have their reason for doing so. Don't get me wrong, I don't like how he's the only OG 8 that gets shafted like this a lot of the time, but it's also something I've kinda gotten used to at this point. I've pretty much accepted that out of the OG 8, Yoshi is probably the least popular in terms of Smash Bros, and the developers seem to be aware of this with how often Yoshi gets the short end of the stick like this.

Honestly though, whenever I think about that stuff, I also like to think, 'how would Yoshi actually feel about this himself?' I then come to the conclusion that Yoshi just happily tags along however he can, whenever he can, just happy to be part of the gang because he's just that happy of a feller! And I just don't care as much anymore about how he's the only OG 8 that's left out when I think about that. Also helped by the fact that, even if he's not present in the demo, he IS still going to be in the full game, which is what counts. Many of us aren't even able to play the demo anyway, and even if we are it's only a short while, so.. y'know.

...let's hope Yoshi does get some more love in this game though, God knows he deserves it.
Man, I wish I could be as carefree as you...

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
It goes to my attention that Samurai & his group do not give a crap about Green L & Yoshi.

And I hate both their portrayals in SSB! Especially Yoshi's bodyshape!

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
What's wrong with Yoshi's bodyshape?
It looks less like a velociraptor, which I... honestly miss in Super Mario World and SSB for N64.

I say he an Birdo could have fought and attack like Alex from Tekken and Riptor from Killer Instinct. But, that's just me.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Take it from an outsider... I REALLY don’t think it has anything to do with Sakurai “hating” Yoshi, or Luigi for that matter.

I think it’s being over-analyzed. What is really going on is that Luigi and Yoshi are such iconic staples of Nintendo, that everybody KNOWS they’re returning in every Smash game (and that’s a good thing). People get excited by characters that are less certain, like Ness or Jigglypuff or any newcomer. Therefore, revealing them isn’t as exciting and isn’t as much of a priority because we KNOW they’re i the game.

I guess you just have to realize that not everybody loves Yoshi as much as you, and they’re more excited to see newcomers or more “uncertain” veterans because their faith in Yoshi is already strong.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Take it from an outsider... I REALLY don’t think it has anything to do with Sakurai “hating” Yoshi, or Luigi for that matter.

I think it’s being over-analyzed. What is really going on is that Luigi and Yoshi are such iconic staples of Nintendo, that everybody KNOWS they’re returning in every Smash game (and that’s a good thing). People get excited by characters that are less certain, like Ness or Jigglypuff or any newcomer. Therefore, revealing them isn’t as exciting and isn’t as much of a priority because we KNOW they’re i the game.

I guess you just have to realize that not everybody loves Yoshi as much as you, and they’re more excited to see newcomers or more “uncertain” veterans because their faith in Yoshi is already strong.
I'm mostly past that considering the things that happened over the span of two months, but can you blame someone like me for getting antsy during the period of speculation?

Recall that during Smash 4 hype, Yoshi was kept in the dark for 10 months despite the other OG 8 being revealed right at announcement. When he WAS revealed, he was stated to be stronger than his previous Brawl iteration, which I was ecstatic about. There was a REASON for the blackout. But that ended up not being the case.

This is why I'm not stoked on the Yoshi blackout this time...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's not easy being green.
:GCD::GCDpad:
I came here to state that exact slogan. I see you've done it. Our work is done.

Not-Easy-Being-Green-PNG.png

(I do love my green boys tho)

On topic; Yoshi has the honour of being 'forever safe' in Smash it seems so that's good, but unfortunately he gets the short end of the stick when it comes to promotion. Seems Yoshi is only a Yoshi rep to an extent, since Sakurai doesn't see promoting the Yoshi series as a priority.

To be fair to the guy, Yoshi's so closely linked to the Mario franchise most people forget Yoshi is his own thing, so promoting Kid Icarus was probably a higher priority in his mind.

Can't say I agree with it though.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I came here to state that exact slogan. I see you've done it. Our work is done.

View attachment 158265

(I do love my green boys tho)

On topic; Yoshi has the honour of being 'forever safe' in Smash it seems so that's good, but unfortunately he gets the short end of the stick when it comes to promotion. Seems Yoshi is only a Yoshi rep to an extent, since Sakurai doesn't see promoting the Yoshi series as a priority.

To be fair to the guy, Yoshi's so closely linked to the Mario franchise most people forget Yoshi is his own thing, so promoting Kid Icarus was probably a higher priority in his mind.

Can't say I agree with it though.
It's a vicious cycle...

Sakurai doesn't give Yoshi's series thought so the Smash community doesn't give his series thought so Sakurai doesn't give his series thought so the Smash community doesn't give his series thought so Sakurai doesn't gi--

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's a vicious cycle...

Sakurai doesn't give Yoshi's series thought so the Smash community doesn't give his series thought so Sakurai doesn't give his series thought so the Smash community doesn't give his series thought so Sakurai doesn't gi--
Also because pretty much all of Yoshi's recent games, while not bad, have failed to capture the magic of the original. Wooly World is probably the closest it's ever gotten.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That didn't stop Star Fox. The difference is passion with the fans...
I guess it's more that, like Yoshi in Smash, his games are seldom good enough to praise raucuously nor bad enough to be flame bait, whereas each Star Fox tends to stir some kind of controversy with the fans over their "innovations". Any kind of publicity is good publicity and all that.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I guess it's more that, like Yoshi in Smash, his games are seldom good enough to praise raucuously nor bad enough to be flame bait, whereas each Star Fox tends to stir some kind of controversy with the fans over their "innovations". Any kind of publicity is good publicity and all that.
I don't know. Have you seen how people reacted to Yoshi's New Island?!!!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know. Have you seen how people reacted to Yoshi's New Island?!!!
Well I certainly don't remember people constantly bringing up how bad it is whenever a conversation moves to Yoshi, like with Other M or Star Fox Zero. It seems to elicit more disappointment than pure rage. I'm sure there was an initial negative outcry, but due to a lack of serious flaws to pick apart other than a lack of originality it rather quickly faded into obscurity.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well I certainly don't remember people constantly bringing up how bad it is whenever a conversation moves to Yoshi, like with Other M or Star Fox Zero. It seems to elicit more disappointment than pure rage.
I'm gonna say it right now, and this is coming from a Yoshi fanatic so it really pains me to say it. YNI is worse than both of those games.

In fact, I actually like Other M

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The reason they did it was an homage to shortly before Sm4sh's release, where Yoshi and Luigi weren't shown until then, so some people thought they had been cut.
Nobody would ever think they had been cut. Luigi was revealed only a few months after Smash 4 was announced to celebrate the year of Luigi. Yoshi was shown a good four months before the game came out, well before several newcomers. So no it definitely wasn't this.

They were shown last because they're betrayed as "goofy" characters, Luigi because he's a quirky underdog and Yoshi because he's happy-go-lucky and always along for the ride. Doesn't go beyond that.

Top Bottom