• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to use the Hammer?

XLZnull

Smash Rookie
I'm an avid Smash player, and have recently decided to pick up Mr. Game & Watch. I'm pretty good when it comes to everything except the Hammer. I know how to guess when the 9 hammer could come out, but I have no idea as to when to actually attempt to hit someone with the Hammer, and how to integrate hammer usage into my combat. So, when should I use the hammer for it to be most effective?

Vice-regent

Smash Rookie
NNID
getyourheroon03
I personally use the hammer right after a d-throw. First, You need to get your opponent up to about 30-60%, then get the grab and down throw, after that you short hop to hammer. Remember hammer is a move that can be easily punished, so try to use it in situations when there is low risk.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I had the same question. I asked Strong Bad and he said only use it in desperation or when you're down. I wouldn't recommend using it for punishes, as you could get a 1-hammer.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I personally use the hammer right after a d-throw. First, You need to get your opponent up to about 30-60%, then get the grab and down throw, after that you short hop to hammer. Remember hammer is a move that can be easily punished, so try to use it in situations when there is low risk.
This doesn't work. Dthrow can easily be teched. Your opponent can tech roll away, tech in place, or tech in. They will most likely tech away. If you read which way they roll, you can punish it with a dacus (roll away),regrab (tech in place), or shuffled back air (roll in.). Hope I helped. Thanks.

jtm94

Smash Lord
You can cheese people who do not know to tech dthrow or just don't do it because you can jab reset them if they are in knockdown and force them to get up. This can be avoided if they SDI and some characters are just resistant to being jab reset by GnW.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
yes that is true... btw i just noticed your tag is Jesus and you main g&W... are you that guy who made the g&w tutorial on youtube?

Top Bottom