• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to use Float and Float-Cancel Shenanigans

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Before the release of 3.5, it is widely agreed that the standard Teleport Hover Nair or other aerials was the safest approach. However, with the removal of the hover out of teleport, I find it fairly difficult when to float and float cancel in the neutral game. Sometimes I use my float to edgeguard but besides that I don't know when to use it outside of the edge game. Any tips?

Last edited:

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
I like to do float aerials during combos A LOT. You can also carry your momentum a ton after you perform aerials. For example, I do Float into Fair(any aerials but Dair works for yhis I think) and then carry my momentum in the opposite direction. I use the momentum mainly to get to a platform or somewhere else to keep stage control. I also like floating right above the ground to get a chain of hits going or just float into Nair as an approach. It's not nearly as good as floating after teleport, but it still grts the job done.
If you have other questions, just ask! I've picked M2 within the last month-ish, so I'm still learning him.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
FC uairs are still godlike for platform tech chases and floating/FC shenanigans in general are still good for extending combos.

As far as neutral game, I don't float a whole lot. Sometimes I'll throw out a floating/FC'd aerial to maintain position and create space, or I can float/waveland/teleport out as I see fit. Nair is still really good to pressure with, it's just not a braindead approach option anymore. Hover bairs can be decent pokes too.

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
I use float the most on my punishes and walls of back airs, but I'm experimenting with other ways I can use it in the 3.5 version.

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
In my lab time, I've been doing OoS nair. I think it will be a pretty good option to relieve the pressure from your opponent and a good mix up since I always grab OoS.

Top Bottom