• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to Neutral-Air or Up-air?

VentusWingKnight

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
VENT#455
3DS FC
4038-6159-5757
I've played Falcon for a long time now, but there is one big question on my mind. When should I Neutral-air or Up-air? They are both great comboing tools, and I find my self using up-air most of the time. What are some moments where it would be better to nair than up air?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
When you want to send people forward instead of upward.

Use the simple questions thread next time you have a simple question.

Danthedude

Smash Rookie
I always nair when I go for down throw out of grab at 0%. Then after ~35% I'll start to up air simply because they start to bounce higher. Although, there are floaty characters that bounce higher - Jiggs for example - at 0% so it's best to always try an up air on them. That's one situation where it's better to up air than nair. But, that's not what you asked. So, let me answer your question about which is better. Neither. They're both very good and situational.

We all know that if you short hop into nair 1 then it'll autocancel. Then, you could jab into grab which is what most of us would do. You could also try short hop into falling up air which could convert into a grab. However, after a certain percentage opponents will start be hit too high to try to jab into grab. So, my point is that nair 1 into autocancel will always allow you to jab 1 into grab. No matter the percent. But, once again, floaty characters like Jiggs might bounce too high for this to work consistently. Hope this answered your question.

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Depends on positioning for the most part, whatever way they get launched benefits you the most go for it

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
I find it difficult to connect the nair strings a lot, so I usually go for an up air because it's always confirmed. Then I can try to up air again, and maybe even regrab if they airdodge. OR I can shield and bait out an attack for a regrab.

If they jump? Rip.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
If your opponent is ever beneath you or above you then U-air is always preferred. Hitting your N-air if they are above you just doesn't work out well, and if they are below you then a falling U-air can hit them while also.cancelling your landing lag so if you space it so if they shield you can't be grabbed then in most cases your fine since you can get out of the area or shield if they try to respond. N-air is just better for comboing off a down throw or during the neutral game when your spacing them out. Retreating N-air is always a safe option usually so you can range them out and hope they come to you. Lastly I find N-air to be good against many other characters recovery.since it has a wide hitbox, but very few falcons seem to use it for that situation.

CascadedVolcano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-5046-9617
up air comes out 1 frame earlier so it's probably better just to use up air although nair does actually set up more combos and can allow for higher damage than uair if played correctly. i'd say if you're trying to play safer use uair and for riskier combos use nair

Top Bottom