• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to do For Glory (ROB)?

euROBot

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow Smashers

I'm new to the forum (in case that wasn't obvious) and had a question: At what point are you "ready" to do For Glory? Especially with a heavier character like R.O.B.?

I started playing Smash 4 seriously about 3 months ago. I am able to beat any CPU on level 8 about 75% of the time, sometimes with both stocks still intact, so I went on to For Glory and was EASILY creamed by Little Mac, Ganondorf, and others. Is there a good way to train with CPUs or should I just get my feet wet, get used to getting my butt handed to me and play online? Maybe use a different gamertag until I'm decent? Haha

Sincerely,
euROBot

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The latter option.

You're never ready for a higher level of play, you get to said level by experiencing it and learning from it. So yes, go on FG and get your ass kicked for a little while. But just remember, For Glory has a lot of lag and isn't honestly a true testament to skill. You should also look into entering tournaments, as what I just said applies to them too.

Not going on FG / Entering tournaments because you're not reading is like not going to school because you're not smart enough, or not going to the gym because you're not fit.

DJGameGuy

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJGameGuy
Training with only CPUs can teach you a lot of bad habits that won't fly with real players, so yeah going on For Glory is usually better than that. Still, learning in a lag filled environment with only Omega stages isn't the best option either, you should definitely look into playing locally with people better than you, either just with friends or at tournaments. Yes, you will probably get your butt kicked your first few times, but learn from your mistakes and listen to advice other players give. You stand to learn more from losing than from winning.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Skip For Glory entirely and go to a site like Anther's Ladder. The competition is a lot tougher, but the best way to learn is to just throw yourself into the thick of it. On a side note, PM your skype username and I'll add you to the ROB chat so you can receive tips and practice.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Why all the hate on FG? FG is pretty fun. I do not have much lag on it but I guess my connection is just very good. The only problem I have with FG is that most people there are huge noobs but it sounds like that is not a problem for OP so I think that practice on FG might help OP to dominate on FG.

But to dominate tourney's or any other environment filled with good players practice on FG probably will not be good enough.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
for glory should not be taken seriously at all. its a great place to chill and have fun, but if you want to get into the competitive scene, I recommend to play with friends in a local environment and sign up to local tournaments. you can find groups here or other social sites like facebook.

as for knowing when you're ready: well you're ready when you can input an attack and the character does the attack you intended. you can learn more advanced stuff as you go along. you just gotta search in the right places.

euROBot

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone! I've been watching a ton of tournament footy (whatever VGBootCamp has posted or other tournaments) and watched Mister Eric, 8BitMan, Chibo, and others to see what kind of moves work best against faster characters (a lot of nairs, spamming with gyro, down throw up smash, etc.) I'll definitely look into guides, local players, and playing FG here and there. You've all been very helpful!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
You have to learn how to lose in order to learn how to win.
Be ok with losing. Not content. Put yourself out there and just focus on learning regardless of whether you win or lose.

1FC0

Smash Lord
CHAMPIONS ARE FORGED IN FIRE AND FOR GLORY HAS THE GREATEST CHAMPIONS OF THEM ALL IT TRULY IS FOR GLORY

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
You can't really learn FG from playing against CPU.

CPU are different from human players in that they're reading your inputs, and have a 1-frame reaction time. Notice how it's almost impossible to hit a level 9 CPU with an aerial, because they can read your inputs and react faster than any human would be able to.

Really, you just have to go into FG and learn by getting your ass kicked. When I first started playing FG, I was like "holy **** why do I keep getting matched up with m2k and zero in disguise", but gradually got better and better.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Also if you insist on beating CPU's with R.O.B, then try the Dthrow-->Upair. It deals good damage and kills very early since CPU's are very bad at DI'ing this combo. Do not expect this to work as well on FG though, even though at low percentages it can also be effective on FG.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Eh, I think it still has its place in FG.
Pretty much guaranteed at low percents, and once the opponent has higher percent, you can bait an airdodge or any other reaction.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Eh, I think it still has its place in FG.
Pretty much guaranteed at low percents, and once the opponent has higher percent, you can bait an airdodge or any other reaction.
If that was a reply to me then you probably missed this part of my post:
even though at low percentages it can also be effective on FG.
It certainly has a part on FG but against CPU's it is OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom