• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When this game comes out who do you think will be the most common characters to see online, and how do you think they'll play?

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Universal: People charging Smashes and expecting others to run into them. Since you can charge Smash Attacks longer they'll just be sitting there hoping that you run into them. Seeing people do this in Smash 4 already annoyed me but now it's going to get worse.

Little Mac will probably be everywhere with all his buffs to the point that it will probably be like the early 3DS days.

(Dark) Samus will also be everywhere probably spamming missiles and charge shots like crazy just like in Smash 4. I'm expecting Dark Samus to be the more common of the two at least early on.

The Links will also be common just like in Smash 4 but I am unsure who will be the most common. If I had to guess the order of most common to least common it would be BotW Link, Young Link, then Toon Link.

Ridley and K. Rool will be common at first but I expect to see a drop later on in singles. In doubles and FFA however I expect these two to be insanely common. Most new Ridleys will play like bad Bowsers with a lot of special spam and smash attacks. K. Rool will be like Bowser Jr. lot's of cannonballs flying around along with the crown. (maybe)

The Belmonts will be common early on but depending on how good they are along with how hard they are to play I expect either a raise or a drop in favor of Samus and Link for people who want to spam. I also expect Richter to be more common of the two.

I'm not sure about Inkling, but I expect them to either stay common like Samus and the Links, or drop off. They will be common early on due to new toy syndrome.

Speaking of new toy syndrome, Isabelle and Daisy will probably be the least used new characters (that we know about) but I expect them to be somewhat common early on but they'll drop off hard in usage. I was tempted to put Chrom here too but I expect him to be somewhat common at worst.

I feel like Bayonetta will be common early on too but with all her nerfs I don't expect her to be common after awhile. Expect a lot of panic Witch Times.

Charizard's Flare Blitz got buffed so expect a lot of that in doubles and FFA.

A lot of Cloud's known nerfs don't really affect players at the lower end of the skill spectrum so he'll probably be a common sight at least in doubles or FFA's.

Ness and his PK spam into PK back throw will be common as usual.

The Mario Bros will be common and Mario and Doc will go for dunks and stomps like crazy.

Captain Falcon will be common for reasons that don't need to be explained.

Ganondorf aka the King of Disrespect will be common and I expect a video about dunks soon after the game comes out. For normal play expect lots of smashes and trying to D-air people a lot.

If Ganondorf is the King of Disrespect then Pichu is the God of Disrespect. Prove me wrong, I'll wait. I know that there will be people who play Pichu because they like it but let's be honest when people see that Pichu they'll think that you have no respect for them. It also won't take long for the internet to become filled with videos of people disrespecting others with Pichu.

If you think that I forgot someone or disagree please post below. This list also makes me hope that doubles has team attack on as well but that's a subject for another topic. I'll update this as more characters are known.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Samus and Link will be the most common projectile spammers at first because they're available from the start. Fox to a slightly lesser degree purely because his projectiles don't stun.

I expect Pikachu will be popular for similar reasons, but they're more of a Thunder-spammer then a traditional projectile spammer.

I'll never be able to test this hypothesis as I have no intention of getting the online service.

Ganondorf aka the King of Disrespect will be common and I expect a video about dunks soon after the game comes out. For normal play expect lots of smashes and trying to D-air people a lot.
the game ain't even out yet and people are already posting my top secret ganondorf strats smdh

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Ike and Cloud are the most clear characters that can attract online casuals.
Cool looking
Simple moves
Easy to pick up
Hit hard
Long range

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I think all the newcomers will be pretty popular online, at least at launch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anyone dread that Bayonetta will inevitably be abundant? I don't know what it's like to fight against her, but based on her reception in Smash 3DS / Wii U, it's definitely worth being concerned about.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
I wouldn't worry about Bayonetta too much since she got nerfed hard in Smash Ultimate. The worst thing about her in the hands of an inexperienced player is panic Witch Times which also got nerfed from to last over a second for simply jabbing her at mid percent to lasting nowhere near as long in Smash Ultimate.

If Wi-Fi Bayonetta's in Smash Ultimate are like the ones in Smash 4 then you don't have to worry too much anyway since they're insanely flowcharty just like bad ZSS. This especially true if you're actually going to play Rosalina since she'll probably be one of her worst matchups if not the worst.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I predict, as with every game, the Triforce of Input Delay to be in full force early on. :ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:

Going off of what's familiar-yet-better (both from last game and the early demo build), all the Fire Emblem characters (short of :ultrobin) along with :ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud:

I withhold my judgment on newcomers until we see all of them, though clearly the popularly requested ones will flourish (until DLC gets announced/released).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wouldn't worry about Bayonetta too much since she got nerfed hard in Smash Ultimate. The worst thing about her in the hands of an inexperienced player is panic Witch Times which also got nerfed from to last over a second for simply jabbing her at mid percent to lasting nowhere near as long in Smash Ultimate.

If Wi-Fi Bayonetta's in Smash Ultimate are like the ones in Smash 4 then you don't have to worry too much anyway since they're insanely flowcharty just like bad ZSS. This especially true if you're actually going to play Rosalina since she'll probably be one of her worst matchups if not the worst.
Hold on, what do you mean by "flowcharty"?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hold on, what do you mean by "flowcharty"?
It means that they tend to fall under predictable patterns, as if they're following a flowchart. They might seem a little annoying at first but then you realize that they're not really able to adapt to counter play.

link2702

Smash Champion
Expect Mac mania in ultimate.

Bayonetta will be next thanks to her infamous reputation in 4, but quickly drop off as the noobs realize she requires *some* basic understanding of the game at a competitive level to not be slaughtered as her, she’s not brawl metaknight after all...

After that, the shiny new toys, then people going to the “edgy” characters like dark Samus and then the triforce of links.

After that it’ll probably just be whoever has the lowest learning curve and who gets kills easiest in ffas, new players thinking it will translate to 1v1s.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Little Mac, definitely. Of course, they can't rollspam as much as they used to, so we might not see NEARLY as much.

I have this feeling that some people will go online even before they unlock any characters and without even playing the game offline first. In that case, prepare to see a lot of Marios.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Everyone agrees on Mac. Fast, powerful, and easily accessible are all strong qualities for new players trying to dip their feet in For Glory. Also expect to see these players trying to pick up Mac's counters without any real understanding or experience on how they work, and it going about as well as you'd think.

Depending on his ground speed, I could also see a lot of Ridleys running around. Mainly due to his strong recovery and ability to get early kills of side and down special.

Characters with strong spikes, such as Mario and Ganondorf, will also be very prevalent during this time. People will see spiking compilations on YouTube and think to themselves "ya, I could do that".

The presence of Links and Samuses will really depend on if For Glory uses the Omega form of stages or the Battlefield forms. If it's the former, they will be there big time. If it's the latter, then expect for them to popular for the first month or so, but slowly drop off once people grow aware it's hard to camp on a stage with a lot of platforms.

Top Bottom