• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When playing D3, how do YOU start your match?

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
Do you run sh > inhale, toss a gordo, or just run up? I realize that this answer varies depending on who you fight, but I'm currious. Me personally, I run over and try to stick a gordo to the stage, just to see how the smash gods favor me.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
A quick crouch, then a walk to center-stage. From there I either start threatening with SHbair, if my opponent isn't rushing me down. If they're aggressive, I either aim to aircamp, or try to catch a short hop approach with f-tilt or u-tilt.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
A quick crouch, then a walk to center-stage. From there I either start threatening with SHbair, if my opponent isn't rushing me down. If they're aggressive, I either aim to aircamp, or try to catch a short hop approach with f-tilt or u-tilt.
What do you do if they're a projectile spammer?

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
If they're already throwing out projectiles that early, you walk and block until you get where you need to be. Or at least, that's what I aim to do. Kinda depends on what's happening specifically.

D

Deleted member

I walk slowly towards them just to intimidate them. :4dedede:

Or, just a crouch until my opponent does something.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
On Battlefield and Dreamland, I chuck a gordo at the opponent straight off. It connects a surprising amount of the time, and beats characters that like to charge specials, or charge in.
On flat stages, I like to take a few steps forward then start throwing out SH Bairs. In case of projectiles or charging specials, charge in while powershielding.
On stages with moving platforms, I often like to ride a platform in to approach, or toss a gordo onto the platform to prevent my opponent from doing the same.

Bkomel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bkomel
3DS FC
3668-9450-4869
On Battlefield and Dreamland, I chuck a gordo at the opponent straight off. It connects a surprising amount of the time, and beats characters that like to charge specials, or charge in.
On flat stages, I like to take a few steps forward then start throwing out SH Bairs. In case of projectiles or charging specials, charge in while powershielding.
On stages with moving platforms, I often like to ride a platform in to approach, or toss a gordo onto the platform to prevent my opponent from doing the same.
I like your style. I'll try some of those today!

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Nothing. Hoping they approach so I don't have to. If they approach I'll generally turn my back and start air camping hoping to get either a bair or a reverse inhale.

If they don't approach -

If I'm at a safe distance I'll throw a gordos hoping to bait them into approaching. If that doesn't work I'll approach slowly, by walking.

If they have projectiles and start spamming I'll generally walk and approach slowly while powershielding. But I rarely run.

I'll only run towards them if they're a character like fox that has projectiles you can't powershield effectively, or they have some kind of you have to approach me NOW gimmick like cloud.

Last edited:

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Crouch until they make a move. You wouldn't believe how many times I've managed to punish a dumb mistake from them not being able to punish a hastily thrown-out Gordo or a flat-out rushdown (Though those can also work if they're expecting you to play defensively).

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
I don't think any DDD player can go wrong with throwing off a gordo. Now, if you expect your opponent to rush you right away, you may want to angle it upwards so that they can potentially run into it. Whatever direction you throw it, always be prepared to grab and/or shield it. All it takes is one attack.

If you're going up against a projectile-heavy character, probably don't throw a gordo at all. Short hop towards them, maybe catch them with a Fair or something.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I jump up, do a Down Tossed Gordo and then approach carefully. Doing Gordos in the air gives them a higher arch. If course I give the Up Taunt respect first

Ti-Phil

Smash Rookie
Always ALWAYS up taunt first as a way to say : Let's enjoy this fight!

Plus a quick Dedededance if the other guy is staying all the way to the other side of the stage.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
I go to the middle with a small jump up-tilt Gordo for a bit of spacing.
If they mean fun (taunt with you) I do the same as above to start the actual fight

lnfrared

Smash Rookie
NNID
Elekkusu
if it's a slow character ill almost always fh gordo and then go in for a grab

if it's a fast character ill shield dash or do some empty hops and bait for a bair or tomahawk grab

if it's bayo i sd

Noxe

Smash Rookie
Do you run sh > inhale, toss a gordo, or just run up? I realize that this answer varies depending on who you fight, but I'm currious. Me personally, I run over and try to stick a gordo to the stage, just to see how the smash gods favor me.
I usually go for a jump, gordo, two more jumps to get over to them (or less depending on if they come at me), let myself slightly drop down, then another gordo and a up B.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Usually I like to jump then nair if they come right under me. Never shield against a fast character cause they’ll grab, so I jump. Slower characters, same thing, but I use the gordo more. I like to surprise fast characters with the gordo. I’m still learning deedede

Fibberkick

Smash Cadet
Gordo then if there good up tilt uselessly throws people of guard then go for a grab to Bair then gordo again to see what they do then if there off stage go for a hard read and F-smash early for a kill if it doesn't hit say hey to at least 30% go for risk that's what i do and just bait and punish if i have the lead

Last edited:
Top Bottom