• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When is it the best time to use Command Selection?

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I'm labbing with Hero and I really like him, but I'm having trouble using his Command Selection. In short I accidentally keep using the wrong moves leaving me or I kamikaze myself to oblivion. Any tips?

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
EDIT: And this is an incredibly important thing to note; if you can't pick an option within a second or so, abandon the attempt and focus on the fight at hand.
If the opponent has the time to realize you're picking something and check themselves, it's too late, it probably won't land, and you've possibly wasted a lot of resources and lost advantage.

When you're in a state when you have a moment to check what's available, such as when they've been knocked away and have are about to enter a tech-chase scenario, are off stage, or have been KOed and are respawning.

Quickly judge what options you have, and pick what you deem best for the situation.

For example, it might be best to go for a projectile option when they're in a tech-chase scenario. Rolling into Boom, Sizzle, or their upgraded variants does good damage, and rolling into Snooze, Whack, or Thwack can just flat out end stocks at any point.
If you don't want to gamble, the fire and thunder spells are safer alternatives.

If they're off stage, maybe hope for Magic Burst, Thwack, or Snooze for options to use as trapping tools, or perhaps a buff or heal. Kamikaze can be used, but it's less than ideal for obvious reasons

If they're respawning, heal and buffs are the only real options. Acceleratle can let you easily run away from their respawn invincibility and charge fire or other such options.

There's never really a good time for Hocus Pocus, Metal Slash, Hatchet Man, or Kaklang.
Hocus Pocus is just too random, with a very real possibility of getting you killed. Gamble if you want, however. Might get a Super Mushroom effect or maybe even a Super Star.
Metal Slash only affects metal enemies, which only happens if an enemy Hero is stupid and uses Kaklang.
Hatchet Man is basically Ganondorf's up-tilt, with all the issues that comes with that.
Kaklang makes you invincible, yes, but leaves you total helpless and is punishable.

Speed and accuracy will come with practice, so just keep at it and you'll get there.
Keeping your cool is key.

Last edited:

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
EDIT: And this is an incredibly important thing to note; if you can't pick an option within a second or so, abandon the attempt and focus on the fight at hand.
If the opponent has the time to realize you're picking something and check themselves, it's too late, it probably won't land, and you've possibly wasted a lot of resources and lost advantage.

When you're in a state when you have a moment to check what's available, such as when they've been knocked away and have are about to enter a tech-chase scenario, are off stage, or have been KOed and are respawning.

Quickly judge what options you have, and pick what you deem best for the situation.

For example, it might be best to go for a projectile option when they're in a tech-chase scenario. Rolling into Boom, Sizzle, or their upgraded variants does good damage, and rolling into Snooze, Whack, or Thwack can just flat out end stocks at any point.
If you don't want to gamble, the fire and thunder spells are safer alternatives.

If they're off stage, maybe hope for Magic Burst, Thwack, or Snooze for options to use as trapping tools, or perhaps a buff or heal. Kamikaze can be used, but it's less than ideal for obvious reasons

If they're respawning, heal and buffs are the only real options. Acceleratle can let you easily run away from their respawn invincibility and charge fire or other such options.

There's never really a good time for Hocus Pocus, Metal Slash, Hatchet Man, or Kaklang.
Hocus Pocus is just too random, with a very real possibility of getting you killed. Gamble if you want, however. Might get a Super Mushroom effect or maybe even a Super Star.
Metal Slash only affects metal enemies, which only happens if an enemy Hero is stupid and uses Kaklang.
Hatchet Man is basically Ganondorf's up-tilt, with all the issues that comes with that.
Kaklang makes you invincible, yes, but leaves you total helpless and is punishable.

Speed and accuracy will come with practice, so just keep at it and you'll get there.
Keeping your cool is key.

Thank you for this. It's very informative and detailed. :)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ledge and fish for Magic Burst.
Or any time you have decent distance to fish for Bounce against the Belmonts.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
So 4 wasted slots? Guess they can't all be winners and they needed to dilute the move pool.

Top Bottom