• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do you use Marth's Jab ?

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
I need to understand how to use this move better and when I do use it i normally end up getting hit . Also what are good follow ups after jabs? A lot of players use jab very effectively so if there is any advice you can give let me know. Back air advice would also be appreciated :).

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Marth's jab is sort of poopy. The only situation i would advise using it in is as a potential edgeguard against Spacies (just spam the jab lock if they're Side-Bing above the ledge).

Marth's better "jab" would be his Side-B, which comes out much quicker, has less endlag, and combos more easily. You can go through the other Side-B steps, U-tilt, etc. as follow-ups.

lokt

Smash Cadet
To add to using jab to edge guard side-b, it can also be used (sparingly) after an aerial(nair/fair) to stuff your opponent's dash dance grab(in a marth ditto).

Last edited:

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
It's useful as way to suddenly halt aggressive opponents. With proper spacing and timing, it's good for edgeguards.

In Marth dittos, you can beat out ftilts and fsmashes if you time it right. I like to intentionally drop combos that can be escaped and then jab/ftilt/fsmash the opponent's attempt at defensive moves, and then claim epic mindgames. Jabs. <3

Also watch some modern Ken vids; he's linked double-jab into Fsmash. :p

Mischief

Smash Cadet
I use it against Puff to keep her the **** away from me. Otherwise side b

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
It's useful as way to suddenly halt aggressive opponents. With proper spacing and timing, it's good for edgeguards.

In Marth dittos, you can beat out ftilts and fsmashes if you time it right. I like to intentionally drop combos that can be escaped and then jab/ftilt/fsmash the opponent's attempt at defensive moves, and then claim epic mindgames. Jabs. <3

Also watch some modern Ken vids; he's linked double-jab into Fsmash. :p
how do you make side b cancel or faster because when i press A it just does another side b :o

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
how do you make side b cancel or faster because when i press A it just does another side b :o
just learn the timing i think.

jab can jab-reset(lolduh) better than side b. so there's that.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I use it a lot in Sheik matchups when Sheik is running at me and has passed his dash dance range because all the Sheik can do is Dash attack, grab, or WD back, all of which are safe to jab at.

In PM I use it against Squirtle because it trades with a lot of his approaches and wins, and clanks with others.

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
Well I recently started using D-tilt into Jab. The IASA frames on the D-tilt lead into the jab pretty quickly, so it's safe at low percentages on a sourspot D-tilt. :)

ItWasAMindgame!

Smash Rookie
What works amazingly against falco is to do a jab after getting hit by a laser.
I learned from a really good player that people overestimate the hitstun of falco's lasers, in fact, after getting hit by a laser, you can usually do a dash right out of it, which will catch your enemy off guard. I take no from this blue part
Because the jab's range is reasonable and there is barely any lag, if they try to approach, the jab will catch them off guard. If they don't approach, you can then do whatever you want; some good options from there would be doing a quick dash attack, try to get a quick grab,
or WD into f-smash (this one is punishable though).
Another really good use for the jab is to WD back then immediately WD forward and jab. I've noticed that with Marth, he carries lots of his initial speed when he uses a move from a WD, so when you do this, it'll almost look like Marth is sliding forward almost like Luigi when he is using the jab. This technique is very safe and can cover a huge amount of distance.

ItWasAMindgame!

Smash Rookie
I decided to just reply instead of editing my post...
Against spacies, if the try to recover by doing the illusion into you, if timed right, two jabs will put them into a really easy edgeguarding position. M2K always does this.

Last edited:

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
Only two ways I've found it to be useful are

1. Edge guarding spacies to knock them out of their Side B/Up B

2. Throwing out a really random jab in the neutral game

Boomy

Smash Apprentice
I like to use it on really aggressive opponents, as a way to counter spacies side-b recovery on stage, and of course, the good ol' jab reset if I know teching is not their strong suite. ;)

Top Bottom