• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did FG become full of tourney players?

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Admittedly I haven't played in a while, but holy **** I'm getting ****ing destroyed by literally every person I play, no matter what character they play. 20 matches and I won only 3 of them.

dafuq is going on

Nah

Smash Champion
They might not all necessarily be actual tournament-going players. The For Glory playerbase has, contrary to what some people might think, evolved a little bit past the "everyone is a Little Mac that side-Bs off the ledge every match" tier (not saying that it has developed to a high skill level overall though).

I'm certain that some of them are tourney players, just that not like the vast majority of them are. And like was said, occasionally notable tournament players will get on FG sometimes (in addition to Nairo, ZeRo is also known to occasionally get on it, I ran into Sol once on For Glory, etc).

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean "tourney players" literally, just shocked at how almost everyone on FG seems to be insanely skilled now.

And yeah, even then it seems random; sometimes I get ZeRo in disguise ****ing destroying me, other times I get a noob who just bought the game today, spamming the same B-move over and over.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I have horrible wifi, my name is a joke about that, due to living on the side of a mountain. Its definitely more satisfying to get destroyed by someone who knows what they are doing than to get destroyed by a B-spammer when I have over 20 frames of input lag.

maybe.

Smash Cadet
Probably makes sense that at this point in the game's lifespan the majority of people still grinding online are super dedicated players who either play competitively and attend tournaments IRL or have just been grinding online for the entirety of the game. I would guess those people make up like 75% of the people on for glory with the other 25% being children who are getting the game way late and therefore aren't that great.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
The skill level has definitely gotten better. There is so much info online, and the fact that the people who still play are very dedicated and are probably invested in learning the game better.

The biggest problem with FG atm is potato internet connections. FG would be great if you could see the ping of the opponent you're about to face.

GokuEllis

Smash Rookie
FG is weird. I’ve played a lot of people who seem like they’ve never played before, a lot of evenly skilled players and some who just smack tf out of me. I truly don’t think that’s a problem though.

The fact is, the only way you’re gonna get better is if you’re playing the best players. One of my friends competes and I practice against him all the time. Out of ten games I probably win 2 or 3.

But I used to win none of those games. If you play someone who obviously knows the game exceptionally well, use that time to get better my dude. Failure is the best teacher

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
I agree, the skill level of everyone has risen drastically. Then again, I main DDD, so everything is hard for me
As for lag, I find two versions. Let's call them Internet Lag and Input Lag.
Internet Lag is what most people suffer. The screen locks up, and you see the Smash Bros Symbol revolving. It all sucks.
Now, lets talk about Input Lag. Let's say you press left. The game takes about 1 second for your character to actually go that direction/input yet the game plays normally. Thus, this makes every game nearly impossible to play.
It sucks balls. Anyway, that's about it

Peace ✌

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I'd say players are just better overall. The Wii U is basically dead so people playing it are Sm4sh fans, which usually means they're at least semi-decent players.

I main Zeldon't with a side of Peach/WFT and noticed many of my battles being uphill (for Zelda/WFT ofc). So that just means I'm fighting people who know what they're doing. Although my win rate still sits in the 70% range. Zelda gets bullied easily, but she scares people easily too (for some reason lol).

As always, that's just another reason to BAN•ZELDA. :secretkpop:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I do encounter these players, like everyone. I call them wrecking balls, because that's what they feel like. I also notice their varying, yet effective playstyles and how they can make the tier list look like a pile of dirty laundry.

I'm always unsatisfied by my FG experience unless I can find wrecking balls, and win against them at least once or twice. There is, however, the varying amount of tolerance they have for an easy opponent. Some leave you after stomping one match. Some give you two to five chances before they pack up and hit the road. And then there are the ones who will stay with you until you leave, laughing it up as they aim to express their dominance over you for as long as they can.

The first group is my absolute pet peeve. They are quick to judge; maybe I just made a dumb one-off mistake. Maybe I need time to formulate a plan, or adapt to their playstyle. Maybe I have another character I can offer a better match with.

The second group is of course more fair and rational. I always give my opponent at least two matches, regardless of how bad they are.

I absolutely love when a wrecking ball is in the third group. These guys are super generous, and I appreciate it. Because of all the matches we play, I get a constant flow of training and experience. Maybe I'll even win a few games. I get to use all my characters in different matchups, and actually improve.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've probably played about five tourney-goers on For Glory. But I'm having a harder time against people online that aren't from FG. Some FG players don't seem that good to me. But playing other people online from a different website is really showing me just how bad I am.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Most people who still play For Glory are likely playing since the release. It makes sense they aren't as bad as they were in 2014.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Does FG work like other online multiplayer games where one person is the “host” and therefore has a slight frame advantage?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Does FG work like other online multiplayer games where one person is the “host” and therefore has a slight frame advantage?
No, Both players experience the same connection. If that were the case, there would be desyncs.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
No, Both players experience the same connection. If that were the case, there would be desyncs.
Which would make online multiplayer pointless in a game like smash lol makes sense, thanks

Top Bottom