• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When and how to use down smash

AntiJIgglypuff

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm struggling to properly implement Falcons down smash. I know it can be used as an option to cover tech in place and maybe tech roll away? Is that roughly it though? Are there any other uses of it? Help a brother out. Thanks fam. - AntiPuff

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
In corner techchases, you can cover tech in place and tech away with the first hit of dsmash while the second hit will hit the tech roll behind.

This can also apply to platform techchases.

3HUNA

Smash Rookie
I absolutely love using down smash to cover tech options near the ledge or on platform. Down throwing near ledge will cause most players to tech in to get away from the threat of dying off stage. This sets up for a perfect down smash followup. Keep in mind that this really only works against spacies, falcon, and sheik.

I've also found that stomp > down smash at about 40% is a guaranteed combo on spacies, unless they DI hard away (causing them to move in an arc rather than bouncing straight up). Overall there are typically better options you could choose out of stomp at this percent (like grab or nair), but it can be a decent mix up. If they don't DI the stomp properly they will fall back down towards your torso. Here, it's really hard to tell which way they will be hit by the down smash. Therefore, I think this might be a decent mixup when near ledge as they could get caught with some bad DI and get blown off stage, setting you up for and edge guard.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
In neutral, dsmash spaced vs say, Fox's aerials leads to a favorable trade, a strong win, or if Fox wins, the extension of your hurtbox through your leg prevents Fox from following up. If he does drill for instance, one ASDI input away should be enough to prevent him from landing any more, and then you can grab his landing. He's also fairly likely to miss his L-cancel if he only lands one hit of drill and it's early.

You can also use it vs Sheiks spacing fairs and a lot of characters spacing aerials. It might lose, but they won't get a followup if they only hit because you stuck out your leg, and a lot of moves are spaced (see: zoning) to prevent you from coming in to begin with. They wouldn't hit you if you stayed stationary or moved back.

Aside from tech-chasing on platforms or at the ledge, dsmash can have enough pushback to knock people onto the ledge, which can be pretty safe. One hit can cover a roll in while the other covers the opponent staying there. Turn around dsmash to change timing can mess with people too, as can charging it. If you've ever played Brawl or Smash 4 Ike, you know running up and charging upsmash is actually a thing. Falcon's dsmash is almost like that. Almost.

Think of Smash attacks in neutral as "high risk, high reward" and work on minimizing risk by spacing them for favorable trades if they aren't to win outright, and implementing ASDI down and other DI as well as what options you'll do next if things don't pan out too peachy. To properly space it vs aerial walls, tilts and other such things, start with a pivot.

Top Bottom