• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wheel Kirby: Sonic v Kirby MU Discussion

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey guys. I want to add to the various Kirby MU threads, and I figured a good way to get us back in the groove is to talk about one of our worst match ups: :4sonic:. Sonic the mother f-ing Hedgehog. Oh yeah, this is gonna be a fun one to talk about.

Sonic is one of the meta's most despised characters. If you main Sonic, you're seen as trash, a tier *****, a noob, someone who will never get a date because you happen to main a character that comes from one of the most hated video game franchises on the 'Net and you'll have to seclude yourself from all of reality... where was I going with this? Basically, Sonic is a character nobody likes to fight and has a large hatebase surrounding him, and after playing a few matches with him, it's really easy to see why that is. Sonic is amazing. Excellent ground speed which gives him a fantastic pressure game, decent damage output, a good number of damaging combos, and a lot of his moves have great kill power. While Sonic is one of the most predictable characters in the game, he's also one of the tougher ones to deal with due to the reasons I have listed above. He excels in a hit and run style of play, and one that can drive players insane.

Where does Kirby fare with in terms of Sonic? Simple: Kirby gets bodied by Sonic. It's not a slightly disadvantageous MU, it's a really, really, REALLY bad MU, easily Top 5 worst MU's Kirby has to deal with. Alright, let's dive into more detail about this MU.

The one thing Kirby has against Sonic is that Kirby has a reliable kill throw option. Sonic used to have his insanely OP B-Throw in the very early days of the meta, but he doesn't have that anymore (thank God), which gives us an edge in that category. U-Throw on stages like Battlefield and Dreamland 64 kills Sonic at a decent percentage, and is the most reliable way of KO'ing him beyond a Smash attack (mainly D-Smash). However, that's all Kirby really has against Sonic. Because Kirby's extremely light, a simple F-Smash at 80-90% may be enough to take us out, and since Sonic has a lot of strong moves with good knockback, don't be surprised if you lose a stock under the 120% mark. Sonic's speed and pressure game greatly outweigh ours, and can give Kirby a hard time getting away from him, especially since Kirby's only projectile is weak for spacing. Platform stages help both Kirby and Sonic, but at least platforms give Kirby a decent kill option to use against Sonic.

Edgeguarding Sonic is pretty difficult to do since most Sonic players recover low, much like we do, since Sonic and Kirby have predictable recoveries (more so us than Sonic). I don't have much experience when it comes to edgeguarding Sonic successfully, so if anyone has any information on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Now it's time to talk about Sonic's Copy Ability: The Homing Attack. While there are Copy Abilities that can help in the MU (see Monado Arts and Bonus Fruit), Homing Attack is sadly not that great of an option. It doesn't give us an edge in the battle, and only serves as window dressing. It has a decent wind up, and while it can be shortened to have a quicker but weaker strike, it doesn't do a lot to help us. It's not worth copying.

Overall, the Sonic MU is extremely difficult and aggravating to deal with. Whenever I ask fellow Kirby mains on the MU, the reply I usually get is: "Please... I'm still trying to get over it. OH GOD WHY DID I AGREE TO FIGHT SONIC?!" A bit exaggerated, yes, but still, not one Kirby players like to talk about. The ratio I'll give for this MU is 60 :4sonic: to 40 :4kirby:, in Sonic's favor. If anyone else has anything to contribute here, feel free to. :)

P.S.: I was trying to add some comedy in here to give the analysis some flavor. I'll freely admit that I'm not the funniest guy out there, but I'm trying to liven things up in here since it can be pretty exhausting seeing people be down and out. No offense to anyone here. :p

Osumnis

Smash Rookie
I appreciated your comedy! It gave me a few chuckles.

I personally struggle with this matchup. I find that jab can work to stop one of those spinny moves Sonic has and nair is also a useful move to catch Sonic throwing out spins in the air.

Although this match is many, many, patches ago, I still feel like it helps me get a basic understanding of the matchup and I go back to it whenever I feel confused as to what I can do vs. Sonic.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I appreciated your comedy! It gave me a few chuckles.

I personally struggle with this matchup. I find that jab can work to stop one of those spinny moves Sonic has and nair is also a useful move to catch Sonic throwing out spins in the air.

Although this match is many, many, patches ago, I still feel like it helps me get a basic understanding of the matchup and I go back to it whenever I feel confused as to what I can do vs. Sonic.

Thanks, man. I only added comedy because these boards are weirdly pessimistic from time to time.

Well, don't feel bad if you struggle in this MU. This is one of Kirby's worst MU's, and not exactly an easy one to win. Yeah, jabs can help Kirby get Sonic out of his Spin Dash.

Top Bottom