• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your training routine?

Mr Greeb

Smash Rookie
Hi!
Long time lurker etc. I'm a guy who's had fairly shoddy tech and barely studied combos, and solely relied for a long time on my neutral game. Recently, however, I've realized that the only way I'll get better is with The Grind. So for the last two months or so, I've been grinding fundamental tech literally every day. And if anyone ever wondered, that works miracles! I've noticed a more rapid improvement that I've ever had! That made me wonder, how do other people practice? Maybe we have something to learn from each other ^^,

My routine:

Wavedash: 10 minutes
Shield drop: 5 minutes
JC-grab: 5 mins
Pivot grab: 5 mins
"Hax" dash: 3 mins on each ledge
Empty pivot: 3 mins (this is impossible at first, but keep at it, and you'll start getting them!)
Pivot f-smash: 2 mins (found out that this helps me hit my dash inputs with better precision, which I've struggled with)

Recently added:
Instant uair: 3 mins
Short hops*: 3 mins

I consider movement to be one of Falcons biggest strengths, so I guess my tech practice reflects that. After I've finished doing those drills, I play again various characters in 20XX 4.05 and implement as much tech as I can, to make sure I can use it in a pressured situation where I'm not just doing the same thing over and over. I've recently started to use the timer instead of stocks, so I don't get caught up in the "I need to beat this CPU"-mentality, but instead remember that I'm doing this to practice tech.

Since I don't have the opportunity to play humans very often, I've found that Jigglypuff in 20XX gives the most human feel in the neutral. I think it's because she's so slow that she doesn't move with inhuman speed. Also, when you mis-space stuff, she rests you. That gives me a chance to test various neutral game strategies. This is hardly ideal, but you've got to work with what you have, right? Just have to remember all the time, "what would a human do here?", and make sure you don't form bad habits.

I'm planning on working on combos and more exotic tech later on, but my fundamentals have been so bad that they need to be cleaned up first.

How does your training routine look?

*I've noticed that if you use Y to jump, if you hit on the middle horizontally and on it's lowest vertically (right at the bottom of the 'Y'), you are far less likely to miss when you tap it super fast

Last edited:

Haku_

Smash Rookie
I'm not a fan of playing against CPUs so I tend to not actually play against any.
I practice for atleast 10 minutes a day focusing on movement solely.

My routine as of late:
1. Dashdance from one side of FD to other with varied dash distances, super short ones to the longest I can. (I do this every time, the rest if I have enough time that day)
2. Empty pivots (on stage/ platforms)
3. Pivot Wavedash One side of stage to other + onto ledges.
3.5 I sometimes try to do hax dashes (but I always miss the fastfall so I only get the fully invincible (blue) one 10% of the time, so I tend to skip these often atleast for now)
4. Pivot actions/jumps (jab,grab,shield, tilt. jump)
5. WD out of shield/ Shield drops /Pivot shield drops (trying to change the way I drift after each time, I am so bad at WD out of shield it's embarrassing)
6. Basic SHFFL aerials and dashing out of them (on shield vs not on shield, using 20XX 3.02 so CPU holds shield)
7. Random flashy stuff (to be more like Jeapie )

Don't know if this is just me but I believe that dashdance is way more important than wavedashing, so maybe start off with just dash dancing in your routine then move onto your wavedash practice.

Mr Greeb

Smash Rookie
Not a big fan of playing CPU's myself, but my experience is that if you don't practice using tech under some sort of pressure, you're less likely to hit it when you're actually playing a match. Therefore I let CPU's pressure me while I try to use tech, but I make a big effort to keep it from messing with my neutral. If you have people to play regularly, I guess that's a non-issue.

My hax dashes are fraudulent as hell, but I want to make it look like I can do them (for now); usually an opponent respects it because they don't see the difference, or respect that I'm invincible most of the time. At higher levels this obviously won't work, but if I reach that level I'll hopefully have practiced them enough to be able to do the real thing.

I like the pivot wavedash drill. Might add it. I'm too slow at grabbing ledge.

I agree that dash dancing is more important than wavedashing, but dash dancing is one of the things I actually know how to do well :p It's been carrying my neutral and is the only reason I've been able to compete at the level I've been competing. I've been thinking that I don't need to practice it outside of matches, as the rest of my game needs to be lifted to the level of my dash dance first. But maybe I should work on that as well, if only just a little. It might replace my hax dash pratice.

MonkBard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-0453-0713
Here's what I've been doing, as of late:

Time Battle (no time limit though)
Level 1 CPU (to get combos easier)

I usually go to FD, but sometimes I go to other stages.
I also put on some jams. Eurobeat works for me, but you do you.
The routine I do is:

Dash dancing as a warmup
SFFL for about 5-10 mins (hitting the CPU helps as a reference for knockback and such)
Wavedash for 10 minutes
Labbing combos for as long as it it takes to get comfortable with them
Then, I play matches against level 9 CPU while trying to combo them like before

And there you have it. That's about an hour or two's worth of practice from yours truly.

Top Bottom