• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your personal purpose for playing Ice Climbers

TMSreptiles

Smash Rookie
I know that this question has been addressed in the past, but I thought it would be nice if we had a thread dedicated to the topic, as the Ice Climbers attract people for one main reason. That reason is to WIN. The fact that the Ice Climbers character discussion section is so sparsely inhabited is bittersweet. On the positive side, it means that players of this game *GENERALLY* seem to use characters based a little more on their own personal feelings rather than their overall viability as the competitive communities of some other games do (*cough*pokemon*cough*).
So, what are YOUR personal reasons for using the Ice Climbers. I won't suggest any possible ones because I want to hear your opinion in your own words.

Oh, and by the way, I'm Thomas. I've been a member for a while, but I've decided to become active.

Smoom77

Smash Master
People ask this question like it's a big deal, but it isn't really to me. I picked them up in the beginning, before I knew about tier lists or chaingrabs or REALLY competitive play. I just liked them. So that's why I still use them today.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
well you see, I was playing brawl, and my jigg got ***** by a lvl 9 so i set lvl 9 to the character that ***** her, then played random till I won.

I ***** with Icies.

Then was like "ohai you can CG i like you more nao"

TMSreptiles

Smash Rookie
well you see, I was playing brawl, and my jigg got ***** by a lvl 9 so i set lvl 9 to the character that ***** her, then played random till I won.

I ***** with Icies.

Then was like "ohai you can CG i like you more nao"
****** the one who ***** you is ALWAYS the answer.
And thats the exact same story as me as far as starting with ICs then finding out that they were/are top-tier characters who can chaingrab everything to death :x

B0NK

Smash Lord
I hated D3 cause I used to main DK... but I was already playing the character for fun before then =P

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
as the Ice Climbers attract people for one main reason. That reason is to WIN.
Haha, :metaknight: is the main attraction for winning, not Ice Climbers.

So, what are YOUR personal reasons for using the Ice Climbers. I won't suggest any possible ones because I want to hear your opinion in your own words.
I'm going to ramble on first. The TRUE reason I play Ice Climbers is because I saw Chudat in Melee **** with Ice Climbers in some old MLG videos, which inspired me to want to play the character and Brawl entirely. The other source of inspiration was I watched the video of Lain beating M2K that was in the old video archives.

After that I picked them up in July 09 to learn how to CG and etc. I really didnt like them at first because I played Marth at the time and Ice Climbers felt so slow and laggy that it wouldnt even be worth my time. But I stayed with it and kept learning and loved the character, because back then my grabs weren't worth **** but I had fun playing the character.

TMSreptiles

Smash Rookie
because back then my grabs weren't worth **** but I had fun playing the character.
That's how I am right now. I've been playing ICs forever, but I'm always bad at things for a REALLY long time unless I try to improve every single day, it seems. I'm gonna keep trying to learn my grabs anyways...

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I am torn between:

A. Trolling this Thread Mercilessly
B. Writing a novel of an answer

Decisions, Decisions...

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
My favorite weapon of choice in any game has always been Hammers/Bows. My favorite element has always been Ice. And I only really ever play cute characters.

Mix it all together and you get IC's :)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
My legit reason for playing them is because I saw Lain use them at my first ever tournament, and I was amazed. I wanted to do this to other people but I was always afraid of their learning curve. One day I just decided that I was done being scared and I was going to be a good ICs player. I'm starting to get there now. People FEAR getting grabbed by me, so I'm halfway there.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
I am torn between:

A. Trolling this Thread Mercilessly
B. Writing a novel of an answer

Decisions, Decisions...
You also have choice C: Locking this thread for no reason whatsoever/for trolling purposes.
My favorite weapon of choice in any game has always been Hammers/Bows. My favorite element has always been Ice. And I only really ever play cute characters.

Mix it all together and you get IC's :)
Favorite weapon - Swords
Favorite Element - Fire/Wind/Lightning (Pretty much anything BUT Ice/Water)

I'm completely incompatible. :)
I like cute characters though.

DeLux

This thread is about Ice Climbers and therefore deserves to be in the IC Forum. It's not necessarily a social topic driven topic assuming Cheese writes a novel.

So locking it would be overstepping my bounds imo

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
My two main reasons, in order of importance:

1. They're the cutest things ever!!! :3 <3
2. Their design uniqueness intrigued me.

I am being totally serious. :troll:

TMSreptiles

Smash Rookie
This thread is about Ice Climbers and therefore deserves to be in the IC Forum. It's not necessarily a social topic driven topic assuming Cheese writes a novel.

So locking it would be overstepping my bounds imo
Hehe, go ahead. I fully support all forms of trolling. I've seen it all. My personal informations been given away in the past (my address, phone number). BAHAHAHAHA :troll:

DeLux

I started playing Brawl for the fun of it when the game first came out. But at the time, I was too involved with college, baseball, and writing for it to matter. It was during the spring that I was officially diagnosed with a left shoulder labrum tear, which made me ineligible to play on the club team at KU. Having dedicated most of my life to the sport, I was really at a loss of what to do from there.

I actually tried to pick up playing Counterstrike 1.6 competitively again, but most of my connections were on the West Coast, so getting a good team of people I was comfortable playing with was difficult since Kansas is kind of the middle of nowhere. So I started drinking and partying and such. Living the normal college life seemed awesome, but after a while it grew boring.

I was actually hammered one night when a bunch of my friends in the dorm decided they wanted to randomly play some Super Smash Bros. I played around with Olimar and Ness at the time and had next to no knowledge of the game outside of playing N64 nonstop as a kid. But since I knew how to abuse meteor smashes, I was easily the best player. So we just started playing regularly, and it sort of built into a mini community where I was easily the best. Around that time, KU held a gift card tournament where I pretty much flattened everyone that was there. I thought I was good.

Then I watched a video of Hylian playing. This was around April of 2010. I saw this was and was instantly inspired. If you haven't noticed, up until like last week, I would always make the argument that Hylian is the best in the country. I was slightly biased though because he inspired me to take up the character. I started practicing to hopefully one day be like Hylian. But I remember reading how people were so scared to play ICs. I wanted to play into that fear and use it to my advantage.

In early June of 2010 I met Stealth Raptor, who recruited me to play with the KC area people. I had him over and I was blown away because I had never seen a Pikachu move like that before. The first time he came over, I figured that I would get my *** kicked and I would just learn from it. This mentality would serve me well for the next 6 months because I had a lot of getting my *** kicked to work through before I was even competent with the character. I met Fino and MJG in late June of 2010. This is before the time MJG was MJG the IC slayer. Again I was blown away by how they played. Out of like the 40 sets that we played, I won only a single set against Fino. They invited me to go to a tournament in July in Wichita (I suspect they wanted me to help potfill for them, but I went anyways to learn).

I played Steeler and Cook my first tournament and lost on July 10. I dropped so many grabs that tournament that it took me weeks to forgive myself. This was especially bad because at the time, the only thing I knew how to do was practice CGing with ICs. I thoroughly wanted to get better, so I started talking to some of the notable IC members on the board. Enda and Guest were especially helpful to me early on. Then I met Nathaniel (or E_Alert as you know him), and this changed absolutely everything. If ANY of you learns from anything I do from this character, it can be traced back to him. I had so many technical questions, and he always seemed to have the answer.

In August, I went to my second tourney in Denver. I met a guy named Albert there. He coached me through the tournament more or less, and since then I've always felt a level of debt towards him so I've helped whenever I could with new technical stuff. It was at this time, I kind of tricked myself into feeling that my practice had been paying off. I played Havok in pools, and took him to last hit last stock every set. At that point I thought I was starting to get good even though I was like the first man out in pools because of a tie breaker scenario in my pool. Despite not making it out of pools, I felt I was on the way to becoming great.

I wrote up a thread on IC's sliding mechanics out of shield and how to abuse that. This thread singlehandedly got me into the Smash Lab. Joining the Smash Lab more or less gave me the tools I needed to understand what I wanted about the character. At the same time, the more I learned, the worse I ended up playing. Sometimes I feel like there are two ways to be successful with this character, playing from basic knowledge or playing from full knowledge. Anywhere in between isn't going to cut it.

I thought about quitting the character when that realization hit me. Like I could play decently and even beat good people that didn't know the matchup. But I felt like we were too limited to be great, which was the opposite of how I felt when I first saw those Hylian videos so long ago. I was also frustrated because I felt like none of the ICs were trying to push the character forward. They were content to work with the limited tools we had.

After some character searching, I came back. Only when I came back, I came back with a little trick I dubbed the Lux Desync. That option single handedly pushed me from being bad to slightly above average. Around that time, Fino really took me under his wing in terms of mentoring me for competitive play. But my skill increases have primarily come out of my technical skill, and it hasn't been until recently (probably the last three months) that I'm starting to mature as a player.

I still get frustrated from time to time. I find a lot of stuff for the boards, but then nobody really implements it into their game play because it's different or worse because it's too hard. However, I met a bunch of IC mains at Pound 5 (including the IC heroes Hylian and lain) and they were all asking ME what I thought and to teach them stuff. That was probably the most reaffirming moment I've had playing Brawl where my inspirations were looking to me for inspiration themselves.

At this point, I honestly dislike playing ICs. They are so much stress and I beat myself up over all the technical mistakes along with the decisions mistakes most people worry about. I thoroughly enjoy playing Lucas so much more than I do ICs atm. But I now know how much the community looks up to my knowledge (my skype gets blown up so much when I'm afk that it's hilarious sometimes), so I play to keep advancing you guys as well as myself.

The day people stop listening to what I have to say is the day that I leave the IC boards and start working on another character for myself.

I main ICs for you guys :)

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i used to be pretty bad at brawl until i thought that i'd switch mains. so i looked for a top/high tier character which is underused so i can put my effort into it. so i tested around and it just happend to fit with ics. back when i started ics (2008) there were hardly no ics and i was the first one in the germanspeaking area who started playing them successful.

Sieguest

Smash Master
@Lux: One minor correction and one question.
Correction: Guest is not notable. kthx
Question: More people than just me blow up your skype? o.o

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
first rule of fight club: do not talk about fight club.
second rule of fight club: do NOT talk about fight club!

jbandrew

Smash Lord
I lost to Olimar alot so I decided to pick up IC's. I still lose to good Olimars but I'm getting there.

onlyaaron17

Smash Cadet
NNID
onlyaaron17
Last year. So here I am...bored. No one on my brawl wifi friends list so i decide to go on random wifi team battles. I go on and find a brawl relatively quick. My partner is ice-climbers. Automatically I am like ok....who plays ice climbers. As soon as the match started (at this time im a kirby main) i grab my opponent for some quick rack up combo with 2 grabs. I look to the right, i see ky partner throwing my opponent (who also was using kirby) back and forth and back and forth. Then he meteor smashed him and took a stock. Istantly im like "holy shiz he is beating him up like in tekken!" Ofc i didnt know the term for it. I remained on the ics team and he did this concistently every game, every stock. By then i realized all i have to do is keep my opp in team battle at bay, and we will win.

After the opponent rage quit. And eventually after so many battles my partner quit. (Man was i lucky he was on my team), I instantly went on training mode with ics to see if i could do it. Fail,fail,fail, fail. Eventually I say **** this ans explain to my friend who played brawl as much as me what he did. The best i could describe it was a beating up tekken reference. My friend found a video and referred it to the chain grab. By then now we are trying to play competitvely and we are anti-tierests (after being wooped so bad by people on aib and saying we sucked) my friend mained zelda at the time. A year went by im still maining kirby. Around april this year we had our only offline viable tournament held by "norfolk public library". They had bad rules. 2 min, smash ball, on fd tournament mode on brawl style. ugh at least no mk ban. I woop my 2nd friend who plays lucario and i bear my friend who played marth in finals taking 1st place. Both of my friends take top 3 with me so we move on to tr grand finals tournament made from all top 3 of each library branch. So many noobs were saying how kirby sucks and to make it worse a mirby player said "the best start up combo is foward grab > hammer." That cant even happen without extremely bad di. So i went to the tournament and proved that wrong. Every game i tool the smashball didnt use it and wooped their noobs ***. While they yell "use the smashball, use the smashball! Why arent u using the smashball?!". Round 2 i faced a falco. I got in so many strings that the guy was whining "stop doing that!". He got the smashball and used it. Was a waste cuz all i did was regrab ledge 50 million times. He didnt think to go off stage derp. Round 3 semi finals by then all the good players are on the left side of the racket and all the noobs on the right. "Good thing no noobs will win since one of us good players will make it". I replay my marth friend and lose in sudden death to a f-smash. He then losses to my lucario friend and lucario goes to finals. The bish doesnt try and let a noob win the finals. There after i vowed to never let that happen again. I vowed that i would kick his *** and take 1st. He gave him so much satisfaction not including the fact that "he only played pit a few days". BUT i did complete the goal and when i lost people were amazed how "good" a kirby player could be and recognized kirby instead of those spammy f-smashing, down special, up b cutter spamming players. When ony 1 of the 3 is even a good move to begin with.

So evenetuay i made a team on fb and recruited some people including my marth friend. By now i put on my mask and sword on kirby and i am playing mk for kirby being gimped by shuttlloop and kirby easily being ledge guarded when i use up b.... The team is called "Above all Brawlers". Hopefully we can get this team offline soon.

So back to the main story with all my vows and goals i do a team battle against some "good" people on aib. I did so bad and i felt like i havent gottten anywhere. His advice was "go to smashboards, learn one character. Stay on 1 character." I looked at mk then i was like, lets try someone that i dont use. I looked at the tier list saw Ic S tier now. I was like hmm ill learned the cg. I wonder why there arent many ic players, so ill pick him up. Ofc the 1st thing i do is look at the guide for the cg, but i read it through. And understood that u have to learn ic to learn the ch. having only 1 of the 2 doesnt cut it at all. I spent hours in training mode unt my index hurt frorm clicking z so much trying to do a back throw re grab and f throw regrab. I try again a few days later, but before that night i had a dream i could do the ch. succes! Now i gotta learn how to not drop ic. I went on to character mu to see bad mu. Snake....peach...rob....mk... My god all these mu and they are extremely annoying too. I played them all and its so stupid cuz. People play so ****** campy then wanna go ham on sopo. And i was like **** this. I picked mk as a secondary for my ic since ive played mk for a long time. A lot play mk to win but i have a bit of background fromm my switch from kirby to mk....kinda like otori when he mained kirby and played mk for bad mu. Anyway after a while i never spent so much time on training mode like ics. He has a high learning curve and very few use him. And i think its amazing to have a 0-death combo thats so flashy. And im kinda good with learning techincal characters. Kinda how i played zss for a while. Also, ice climbers are so cute and cuddly, het that one grab can **** you. Not only thjs but they signify what team work can do and the cg symbolizes that the most. People told me to drop ics cuz i only can play wifi mainly with people and to use my zss. Ice climbers can be really frustrating, but theres something about ics. Something told me not to quit on them. Something told me that its worth learning ics even if it is the only character that takes the most out of u and makes you rage for failing. So thats where i am with why i picked ICS. I started maining him july. Hopefully they wi be ready to own noobs next year and it wi be a good way to see where i am yet cg wise and playing wise. If i think ic is t ready ill play mk. Eirher way i think im on the right. Thank you smashboards.

DeLux

Expect an updated one of these from me really soon

JB IV

Smash Cadet
When I was younger my uncle gave me an N64 with Duke Nukem (which was rated M so my parents wouldn't let me play), a Star Wars pod-racing game, Super Mario 64, And SSB. I played it a lot with friends and always won against them. I bought SSBM the month it came out and played a lot with my friends and kept beating them to the point that they didn't want to play against me anymore. I wondered how I could get better and watched videos of SSBM tournaments but didn't have the motivation to learn anything but L-canceling and wave-dashing.

I got SSBB the day it was released and started using Pit. I kept beating my friends but they would usually live longer since I was only slightly better and would occasionally lose. I then switched to Ike and rarely lost against my friends. I stopped playing around 2010 because I really liked CoD MW. 2012ish, DeLux started hosting tournaments at the public library for teens (amateurs) and I won the first four that I went to as Ike. I was inspired to do better and found the SmashBoards. After some practice, I switched to Diddy and learned some advanced techniques (mainly momentum canceling, glide-tossing, and item control) and won two more tournaments. After my second win DeLux spoke with me about getting more involved in tournament play and invited me to come to his apartment to play in the more pro local tournaments he held there and to mentor me about how to get better.

Honestly, I thought it was weird that he invited me to his apartment.

My parents saw that I wanted to become more active (the public library tournaments were only once a month and were easy for me to attend without them needing to drive me and stuff) and didn't (still don't) think that gaming was a good use of my time. They stopped supporting my gaming and would not allow me to attend tournaments (even the library ones). My friends didn't like placing second to me and stopped playing altogether. I was forced to become inactive and attended only one tournament in six months.

Finally, Hype II came around and was held within ten minutes of my house at KU. I somehow convinced my mom to take me and I beat Fragger (a frequent attendee of the L-town throwdown tournaments held at DeLux's apartment) in pools in a Diddy ditto match. As expected, I then lost to Tmacc, Domo, and JJRockets but was glad that I still won a match at all. I watched all of my matches on YouTube (except for mine against Domo because it wasn't uploaded) and was surprised by how badly I had actually played. When my mom came and picked me up DeLux told her that I did really well and was showing a lot of progress. My mom then allowed me to attend a few L-town throwdown tournaments at DeLux's apartment. And although I placed last in singles, I placed second in doubles twice. There I met players like MJG, Fragger, Tony22, and GIMB. I had seen MJG on YouTube before and was amazed by how skilled he was as a player and how he had made a name for himself as the best Tink player in the world. My Diddy wasn't refined and was amateurish at best when I played against them. I tried to improve my diddy but wasn't dedicated enough to learn all of his ATs and SNL. I saw how Delux (who at one of the library tournaments, back when he wasn't as proficient with ICs as he is now, I played and managed to beat) had grown with ICs, a character who until that time I thought was total trash, and picked them up after watching him beat MJG.

Before then I had tried to switch to MK but I could just never seem to make him work for me. I picked up ICs (mainly for the CG) and began practicing with them. At the time, my diddy was still far better than my ICs so they never saw any tournament usage. When I finally started to get the hang of ICs my parents stopped allowing me to go to tournaments again. For some unknown reason I didn't just give up and quit playing. Instead, I kept (still am) practicing my ICs and have surpassed my diddy.

Summary for those who don't want to read the whole thing:
Delux got me involved in tournament play,
I'm inactive in tournaments because my parents don't think that playing video games is a good use of time,
I'm still improving,
and I use way to many parenthesis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom