• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your opinion of the Sm4sh 21 OUTSIDE of Smash? (Part 4)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Part 1 (64): https://smashboards.com/threads/whats-your-opinion-of-the-og-12-outside-of-smash.455902/
Part 2 (Melee): https://smashboards.com/threads/whats-your-opinion-of-the-melee-14-outside-of-smash-part-2.455977/
Part 3 (Brawl): https://smashboards.com/threads/whats-your-opinion-of-the-brawl-18-outside-of-smash-part-3.456040/

All right, finally made it to the last one!!! (Until the final roster for Ultimate is revealed, then I'll do Part 5) Part 4 of my "Opinions of Smash Characters Outside of Smash" series, or as I like to call it the "Opinions of Yoshi and 67 not-Yoshis Outside of Smash" series :ultyoshi::yoshi:!!! This one deals with the 17 characters introduced in Smash 4: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt: and the 4 characters introduced through DLC: :ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:.

As you may guess the numbering system puts :ultdarkpit: and :ultlucina: up with their counterparts, and it kinda through me off. So I put them in the number spot they WOULD'VE been if they were treated the same as the others, namely Dark Pit after Palutena and Lucina before Robin.

Also :ultmiifighters: technically counts as 3 characters. You could write separate entries for each, but unlike :ultpokemontrainer: I don't see why you'd bother.

Remember, spoiler tags are appreciated...

Anyways, here's my go at it:

:ultvillager:
Villager was memed to oblivion when he was revealed for Smash 4. Dat face!!! But other than that, I saw nothing all too special about the avatar character from Animal Crossing. Those games aren't my cup of tea so I don't really connect to the villager character well.

:ultmegaman:
Mega Man is easily my favorite non-Nintendo character of all time!!! (Spoilers for :ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:) Now I am well aware that this is Classic Mega Man, not X, Volnutt or .EXE, so bare that in mind. His games are challenging but fair and he's one of those protagonists you find impossible to hate (except maybe his voice in MM8).

:ultwiifittrainer:
If you ever saw a real-life photo of me, you'd correctly guess that I've never played Wii Fit. *shugs*

:ultrosalina:
Now don't get me wrong here!!! I like Rosalina. She's a genuinely interesting cosmic being without Super Mario Galaxy shoving her into your face. Reading that storybook section is one of the only times you will ever see me well up inside.

BUT...

As much as I like her in Galaxy, she still came off as a one-off character to me. She didn't make enough of an impression that Yoshi did in Super Mario World or even Wario in Super Mario Land 2. And yet almost immediately after Galaxy, she started to appear in EVERY LITTLE aspect of the Mario universe as if she was always there from the beginning, and it just seems weird to me.

:ultlittlemac:
Poor Little Mac. A classic underdog character that strives to be the best boxer in the world. He finally gets his spot in Smash and what is he met with? "LOL No air fighter Little Mac!!! He's so stupid!!! Garbage tier!!!"

Sigh, hope there's justice this time around...

:ultgreninja:
Ooooh, ninja frog!!! Neat!!!

:ultmiifighters:
I used to have so much fun in Mii Maker when the Wii first came out. Me and my brother would spend hours making new Miis just for the hell of it. I thought they were so cool back in the day.

Now they're just there. They didn't particularly age well in my opinion

:ultpalutena:
Palutena is kind of a *****!!!

:ultdarkpit:
Everything I said about Meta Knight applies to Dark Pit. However, there is one element of his character that I feel puts him above MK...

Pitoo

:ultpacman:
One of the first video game mascots. A legend. A cultural icon.

.....And one I'm not all too interested in

:ultlucina:
I find the Marth clone idea odd to say the least. Lucina impersonated him in the opening chapters of Awakening and because she's Chrom's daughter it makes her a descendant. But to say she's the female Marth? Whatever Sakurai... Anyways, she has goal's that inevitably lead to drama and conflict with Robin, but other than that *shrugs*

:ultrobin
See, just because you have an avatar character doesn't mean you should make him/her a blank slate. Now granted, Robin isn't a particularly deep character, but it's something. The fact that the first thing that happens after you create your avatar is a premonition showing him/her STABBING THE MAIN CHARACTER UPFRONT should set the tone of who Robin is.

:ultshulk:
Easily one of the most memorable and interesting characters to grace the Smash roster. Shulk's story at first seems like standard Joseph Campbell Hero's Journey ****, but it soon turns around when his true purpose in life is revealed (he's basically supposed to be Bionis Hitler). His accent, look and mannerisms are all so charming and he plays off his companions so well, especially Reyn. I highly recommend you play Xenoblade Chronicles...

:ultbowserjr:
You know, this little **** kinda grows on me over time.

:ultduckhunt:
I distinctly remember this dog topping the "Most Hated VG Characters" lists all the time before Smash 4, and even though I haven't played Duck Hunt at the time, I got the feeling people were over-exaggerating. If you lose he mocks you sure, but if you win he applauds you (even in the 2 ducks mode he applauds you if you only get one of the ducks). I don't get people sometimes...

:ultryu:
Nothing against Ryu or Street Fighter. I just have no opinion on him

:ultcloud:
I despise Cloud. I despise Final Fantasy VII. I despise the heavy-handed messages. I despise his backstory. I despise every little thing about Cloud and the game he's in. The other FFs are better

:ultcorrin:
God, so much controversy. Since this thread deals with the characters OUTSIDE of Smash, I'm just gonna have to take the FE fans at their word and believe that Corrin is kinda meh...

:ultbayonetta:
WOW!!! Just wow!!! Bayonetta is a blast to play as in her games. This is the sort of witty, brazen and over-the-top personality I love to kick *** with. I'm one of those rare Yoshi mains who doesn't mind her being in Smash.

And done!!! Until the rest of the newcomers are revealed for Ultimate, I'm not gonna do a Part 5 for a while. Sorry to those who want to get to :ultinkling::ultdaisy: and :ultridley:.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
:4villager: I've played every Animal Crossing game with most of my time going towards City Folk. I enjoyed the series as a kid but as I grew older, it stopped interesting me. Got New Leaf for Christmas after the amiibo update happened literally just because I love Isabelle so much. Played it for a week or 2 and put it down. Can't really speak on the design much or personality since the latter is non-existent and the former is customizable by the player.
:4megaman: I never grew up with Megaman so he was just kinda this character I'd hear about and see videos about but that's it. I've since played the first 2 NES titles and they're fun. This particular Megaman's design is a bit simple for my taste, I much prefer the design and pretty much everything about X over OG Megaman. OG's voice in the Playstation title is awful too.
:4wiifit: I actually ended up getting Wii Fit U for my mom to help her exercise without having to leave the house since my sister owns a Wii U (they live together). Due to that, I got to play it a bit and it's not even a bad game, just not something I'd buy for myself. Not a big fan of the design but I think I'll always have the slightest soft spot for the character for getting my mom to actually touch a video game lol.
:rosalina: Meh, just another Mario character to me. No different than Fludd or E Gadd or Bowser Jr or Toadsworth or Toadette etc. Don't care for the design or personality or even her backstory. Galaxy was a cool game at least and she's fun to use in 3D World.
:4littlemac: My only exposure to the Punch Out!! games is videos on the internet and while I haven't played it myself, I've let my sister play on my SNES Classic and she tried out the Punch Out!! game on it. Design is okay. No idea if he has a personality at all.
:4greninja: I don't keep up to date with the modern anime so the whole Ash Greninja thing is foreign to me. Never used one in X or Y and I never finished those games as I disliked them. I'm one of those atrocious individuals who prefer Delphox out of the 3. Not cute, not cool, no personality and no interest in Greninja!
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun: Suppose I can just put these 3 together. They're all Miis anyways. I've never been a fan of their design. I prefer the Xbox avatar designs, at least from the 360. I never got an Xbone so I have no idea if the console has avatars and if so, what they look like. Personality obviously doesn't exist but I like how they're in so many games. They may not fit perfectly in a game like Mario Kart but the devs are giving you the option to insert yourself or whoever you want into the game which is nice. Heck, I don't even care for the big fear everyone seems to have of Hitler's appearing. The man's actions were bad but his face shouldn't be considered bad because of that, that's just silly in my opinion.
:4palutena: Pretty sure I expressed my dislike for Pit's voice in the other thread and the same goes here. Her voice and personality and their irritating, unfunny banter was so bad that I quit Uprising very quickly despite liking the gameplay. Her hair is also...really gross. Got no opinion on the rest of her design but eff that nasty green curtain she calls hair.
:4pacman: Know of him, played the original Pac-Man, never got far in it and given that I started with games that actually have stories, regardless of how simple, I don't see the appeal of his games-err his old ones anyways. I've never even seen videos of his newer games. Like, before Smash, I thought Pac-Man was just a relic of video games past like :4gaw::4rob:. No idea if he has a personality and his design is uninteresting.
:4robinm: My favourite of the Sm4sh newcomers. I enjoyed Awakening on my first few playthroughs and I like Robin specifically in the game. Design is cool and the whole nerdy, book reader personality is fitting. Really not a fan of what he possibly started (I've yet to finish any of the Japanese games despite owning them all) with the whole 'you can romance and have a kid with anyone' thing. Also, male Robin is better than fem Robin~
:4shulk: Never played his game despite the fact I own it but my only exposure to him outside of Smash is Chuggaaconroy's LP of his game and...I found it way too long with way too many filler episodes so I just had it be background noise for a lot. Like, I paid attention till sometime after he got Sharla then stopped and only focused again when Melia and Riki were with him so I have no idea how the entire story even goes. His design is odd but his sword is cool though his personality seems bland.
:4bowserjr: Was cool in Sunshine as a neat twist and then he just became a reusable mini boss. Design is neat enough though it's really odd to me how some games just use his design as Baby Bowser when they should be distinct. Personality is whatever. Guess since they're skins for him, I'll give honourable mention to :4ludwig:. Always loved his poofy hair and him being the last Koopaling you fight in at least one of the games made him seem the most threatening too.
:4duckhunt: Never played the game and it's not easy to do so nowadays with how old Zappers are. I at least have a proper TV to if I ever care enough to try it. His design is...I don't know. I much prefer the 8-bit design where it's just okay but the 3D one doesn't look good to me. His 'personality' is at least funny in that he's an NES character that can be given a personality from that era.
:4ryu: Never played Street Fighter till after he appeared in Smash and I've only dabbled in IV Ultra and II on my SNES Classic. His design is uninteresting and I have no idea what his personality is. I've never really gotten into traditional fighters despite having some experience with Street Fighter, Tekken, Pokken, Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.
:4cloud: Never played FFVII though I'd like to. His design...well his attire is boring but his hair is cool. Can't comment on personality. I have played Final Fantasy I, IV and VI though I've never finished any of them and I watched an LP of X so I could see myself possibly enjoying VII.
:4corrin: Awful, terrible, boring. Part of a stupid story with a dumb design and continues the crap I dislike Robin for. The dragonstones are less versatile than the tomes Robin had access to. **** this character and what him and his games show about modern Fire Emblem and **** the fact that he got into Smash. Would've had slightly less issues with him if he was introduced in Ultimate as he wouldn't cost extra and would just be the typical 'most recent at the time' character. He's the equivalent to Silver the Hedgehog getting into Brawl to me.
:4bayonetta: Never played her games though I own the Switch bundle. Seen hardly any gameplay and my only exposure to her personality is from Smash where...I don't like it at all. Her design is bleh. Too much black.
:4darkpit: From an LP I watched, I actually much prefer the personality and voice of Dark Pit compared to Pit. His design is whatever, just the opposite colour of Pit.
:4lucina: Oh look! The only child unit you're guaranteed to get in every playthrough of Awakening and can therefore plan a playthrough around without having to waste time on other characters! **** what she is (a child unit) but she's the least offensive one. Has a boring personality and the whole time travel thing is just dumb to me. Her design is also way too similar to Marth's. Like, I get that that was the point but it really hampers her from being distinct to me. A design like Robin's stands out as distinct, cool and memorable while Lucina's is just 'look at us callback to the first game!'.
:4alph: Doesn't fit in the Brawl thread since he wasn't in that game. I never actually finished Pikmin 3 despite owning it. I enjoyed it though. Liked his personality less than Olimar's and Louie's though and I prefer the -.- eyes. Can't experience his game now since I lent my copy of Pikmin 3 to my gf who's in another country~

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Next up: the WTF round of disappointment. Not really, but Sm4sh's roster left a lot to be desired over Melee's or Brawl's in my mind.

:ultvillager:: No connection to the Animal Crossing series. Really just seemed like 'The Sims with Cartoon Furries,' to be honest. Still the memes were funny enough, and I recognize the importance of the series. He's down on my list with the "I realize they're important but I really don't give a ****" group.

:ultmegaman:: Another one I haven't played but I recognize his importance. My grad school roommate was a PlayStation guy though, so I did get to see some of Megaman - and they did him so much justice. The series itself is really nothing to me, but I do recognize the character, which is more than I can say for some of the other "icons" people talk about. While I'm normally against third parties besides Sonic (and Dovahkiin), I really like how Megaman was done and because of that he's in the upper half of my list.

:ultwiifittrainer:: My mom got WiiFit, but stopped playing it when the balance board started to snark her ("Oh, I haven't seen you in a while..."). I tried it a few times, but it's really not that interesting. I'd rather work out on my own time (when I can get my lazy *** to do so). She's really one of those characters who seemed funny and quirky at the beginning, but very quickly devolved into a waste of a character, honestly.

:ultrosalina:: Nope, still haven't played any Mario main-series games, so I only know Rosie from the marketing, and the fact that she's the new character in all of the spinoffs now. She's okay, I guess. Hope that Pauline is going to start joining in the Party/Kart/etc as well soon. I don't mind her. Definitely my least favorite of the princesses though. And please give her legs - I get that you don't want perverts to upskirt the female characters, but she has a few moves that raise her dress enough to notice that she has nothing connecting her ankles to her body.

:ultlittlemac:: And I've never played Punch-Out either. He seems cool enough though.

:ultgreninja:: My Gen 6 game was Alpha, not X and Y. I don't play as much Pokémon as I used to; it's gotten really gimmicky. Seems ok enough of a concept, but I'll take Sheik as my primary ninja. That puts the frog down on the charts, definitely below the other mons save perhaps Jiggles.

:ultmiifighters:: Miis were fun before, but they're too cartoony to get too attached to. Trying to turn an avatar into a fighter would be easier with a more realistically-proportioned Xbox avatar instead. Still, a completely worthwhile addition, even though it seems like the game doesn't even care about them.

:ultpalutena:: Like I said before, I am biased against Kid Icarus since I blame it for Zelda getting the shaft in Smash, but Palutena was an obvious addition. It helped that she fit well into my princess brawls. At least her codec is only on one stage and I never have to hear it, since I loathe the humor style that Uprising used.

:ultdarkpit:: You. ****ing. ****. Literal trash right here. This is the reason that Pit is not my most hated character (in his credit, Pit's above characters like ROB too). Looking back to my RTC rant...
I remember when Pit was first announced for Brawl, and Sakurai made it a point to say that his series had been dormant for ages, so he had to try to age him up appropriately. He referenced Link's design in order to do so, and all I could hear was "We're going to do a hack job on your favorite series in order to siphon some of its popularity onto this new guy." Just that statement alone already made me start to resent Pit a little - almost like he was trying to come in and replace Link.

And then the game game out, and I got to see how well that fed into my narrative. With another swordsman/bowman on the team, Link barely did anything in the SSE cutscenes once he shared with Pit - Pit was always the star. Didn't help that in Brawl, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf were all competing for the bottom of the tier list; between Zelda's five movesets, two were clones, one of whom was the most cloney of all the Brawl characters to the point that some of his attacks are miscoded; also there are only three unique Final Smashes among the five characters. It all fed into this idea that I thought that the Zelda series was being neglected. I could handle Pit, but I blamed him for the Zelda series' neglect.

Come Sm4sh, and now Sakurai makes his own Kid Icarus game, and continued to support my argument that - in Smash - Kid Icarus was more important than Legend of Zelda. Still we got no new characters from the Zelda series, and on top of that they removed Zelda's transformation gimmick (which I like) but left her at the bottom of the power charts. The new Zelda character models are extremely pointy and odd-looking compared to Brawl's, particularly the Derp Lord Ganondorf; and Link now is forced to share even a crowd chant with his toon version. Meanwhile, Kid Icarus gets two newcomers and the bulk of the Smash Run enemies, a new big stage to show up Temple, and Classic mode is replaced with some weird thing that is straight out of his game. Meanwhile, Pit gets all new specials, Palutena gets all completely different specials, and Pit's new Final Smash is much more powerful than it was in Brawl, while Link's is also halved in strength. Yes, Dark Pit was supposed to be an alt costume, but Sakurai decided that it didn't make sense for Dark Pit to do that specific Final Smash, so he made him his own character. I guess he doesn't care that Ganondorf in canon is not some tired old derplord, but Dark Pit needs to be based on canon. Dark Pit even got his own crowd chant (while Link and Tink now share one) and his own victory theme (so did Bowser...in fact there's only one antagonistic character who still shares his hero's victory theme...) and his final smash is stolen from...Zelda. It also doesn't help that Link (and Samus) both have dark forms that they have an event fight against, and also are a base for one of their costumes, while Pit's gets his own character slot. It also doesn't help that all of the Zelda series challenges are easy and hammerable, while Pit's is one of the hardest and Pittoo's is unhammerable. And the fact that Pittoo is so similar to his parent in all regards that they are analyzed together.

In all: Zelda, with 19 main series games, many of them winning Game of the Year awards, and being real console sellers to the extent that Nintendo can make an E3 presentation around a single game and win hands down, seems to have gotten less attention than a series with as many characters as games in the series (three) including a 20+ year hiatus.

I've accepted Pit, and my headcanon is that he's just a tryhard who dreams that he'll be as awesome as Link one day - basically to me he's the Linkle of Smash. Palutena is perfectly acceptable. But Dark Pit... is stretching things a bit much for me and just highlights how cloney the Zelda series is with everything that Pit and Pittoo don't share that a Zelda character does.
Yeah, he's on the bottom. Childish humor I think is stupid + edginess I think is cringey + series I irrationally hate + overblown which irritates me on principle +boring literal pallette swap = dead last on my list. He doesn't even deserve to be selected as a punching bag.

:ultpacman:: Pac-man is undeniably one of the biggest video game mascots here. And...is kinda boring. At least I've played his game. Once or twice...

:ultlucina:: Haven't played Awakening, and I'm not a huge Marth fan, so she's just a DeviantArt Rule 63 Marth to me, which puts her pretty low on my list.

:ultrobin: Now he, on the other hand, is cool. I play a lot of Elder Scrolls, so I can totally get behind a battlemage character. Not my preferred character archetype, but Robin really did make an impression on me. Not gonna make me play Fire Emblem, but it does get him quite a lot of playtime. He also is an example of a blank player avatar which nonetheless makes for a really awesome character style (still wishing upon a star for Dovahkiin - so many great matchups could come out of that).

:ultshulk:: Literally who? When he kept getting leaked, I had no clue who he was. And I still don't. I'm not a fan of the fashion disasters known as JRPGs in the first place, and I'm of the opinion that his accent and look don't match up in the slightest in my mind. In all, he comes off as Generic JRPG Hero #257, and I don't care. Hey, he's above Dark Pit...

:ultbowserjr:: Can't say I love him, but I can't say I hate him either. Again, I only know him and the Koopalings from the various wikis (but the kids were also playable in a few spinoffs), but I do like some of them - especially Roy. Cool concept for a moveset too.

:ultduckhunt:: I. Love. This. Puppy. Never played Duck Hunt, but the Dog being in Smash is hysterical and awesome at the same time. I never really got the hate for him.

:ultryu:: Never played Street Fighter - Soul Calibur is my fighting game of choice. Still, I at least recognize him, and he looks cool.

:ultcloud:: Oh look, JRPG Hero # 172! Same issues as with Shulk, but at least this guy I've heard of. Doesn't mean I want him any more, though.

:ultcorrin:: It's hard to consider Corrin outside of Smash, but I don't remember anything about him from the trailers. All I remember seeing was Azura, who I actually wouldn't have minded in the game. Instead, we got a divisive hero who looks a bit too anime for me, especially since I was getting used to Ike's new look. He did leave a sour taste in my mouth, but I never played him - I stopped with Smash before he got released (Sm4sh was disappointing)

:ultbayonetta:: I've heard of her, but really only insofar as "muh sexism" (now we need Bayo and Ivy from Soul Calibur to face each other in a fighting game). She looks cool enough, it's just that it did feel like she came out of nowhere. Still, I'm looking forward to finally playing as her in the next game.

And there we go. I guess my biggest problem with Sm4sh was that of the 21 newcomers, I've only ever played two of their games - Pac Man on an emulator ages ago, and Wii Fit. Honestly with the cuts we got and the lackluster newcomers, I wasn't really happy with Sm4sh.

Now that we're getting my favorites back and at least two characters I kinda like, Smash Ultimate is looking up. Still hoping for some dream-come-true newcomers though...

Can't wait until the next round!

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I've been waiting for this! I actually have a lot to say for a good majority of these characters, so here we go!

Ah yes, I remember having fond memories of the Killager meme, good times.

Animal Crossing was never a series I was into, but my cousin played hours on end on his DS, and everyone in school was crazy about it. If it wasn't Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, it was Wild World everyone was playing, but I never jumped on the band wagon. I played Wild World for about 10 hours before calling it quits, it's simply not for me. That said I think his design is swell, and he's a good addition to Smash.

I remember in elementary school, one of the computers in the computer lab had an NES emulator on it, and I remember all 6 Mega Man games being installed on it. I sucked like crazy at the time, but I remember going back and beating Mega Man 2 on an emulator back in like 2008 and it was one of the best games I had ever played.

Now I've played all of the 10 main games in the classic series, and Mega Man is easily one of my favorite franchises of all time. I am not a huge fan of his playstyle in Smash, as it's basically 1:1 to how he plays in Mega Man, but I never thought I'd see the day this guy got in Smash.

Ok first of all, can I just rant quickly? Why did people want WFT cut? Sure I don't main her, but she's unique and bizarre enough that there's no way Sakurai would just give her the boot.

Ahem, anyways, I actually have fond memories of Wii Fit. Back in the day, I never allowed to play video games on weekdays, but Wii Fit was that one exception, solely cause it was a game that helped me burn some calories. The yoga stuff, I actually didn't care about, but I remember grinding the jogging and boxing games all the time until I sweat like a pig, it was honestly a fun time, I never thought I would unironically enjoy a fitness game.

Eh, idk, I played Super Mario Galaxy at my friend's and I thought it was a good game, and I thought Rosalina's character design was cool, and I especially LOVED the music that played whenever she read her stories to the lumas, but other than that.... eh?

I was never crazy about the character herself, and I never went crazy about her appearances in other games, including Smash. I just remember watching the trailer, thinking it was a Kirby Air Ride and Mario Kart crossover, then it turns out to be Rosalina, and I'm like "eh?"

Eh, was never too crazy about his games. My fondest memory related to Little Mac was finding a mint condition copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out at a thrift store for like $5, lmao.

Pokemon X and Y was disappointing to me honestly, and that game started the decline in my interest to the Pokemon series (if you had told me 10 years ago about Pokemon on Switch, I would be crawling all over the walls like Spider-Man, but now, I honestly couldn't care less.)

Despite this, that didn't stop me from enjoying my starter Pokemon, Froakie. His design was super cute, and I remember finding about Protean, and how powerful Greninja could be when he could learn several moves like Hydro Pump and Ice Beam, and get STAB from all of them. I personally prefer Froakie over Greninja, but he's still a cool design, and he's definitely a good pick for Smash.

THE MII CHANNEL THEME IS STILL STUCK IN MY HEAD.

Didn't play much of Kid Icarus Uprising, as I just couldn't adjust to the controls, but I still watched a good amount of the game via let's plays, and I appreciate Palutena's genuinely funny and witty dialogue at times, and I really like her character design. That's all I have to say really.

...I like this theme I guess? Yea I got nothing.

One of the very first games I ever played was Pac-Man World on the PS1, and I adored Pac-Man in that game. He had charming expressions to him, and the music in that game was great, and we even got to see Pac-Man's family in that game, which I always found their designs amusing.

I'm slightly disappointed that none of his moves from that game translated into Smash, it would've been cool to see Pac-Man's "Spin Dash", his ground pound, or his ability to use power pellets as lasers.

My very first game in the FE series was Fire Emblem Awakening, and I remember playing the demo about a month before I went to buy it. The one part that always got to me was the end of Chapter 1, where this mysterious masked guy called himself "Marth." That alone made me curious to play the game, as Marth was my favorite character in Smash, and I could tell that this person was merely someone using his name.

When I found out about Lucina, I thought she was cool, and genuinely liked her, she may not be the best written character, but she was certainly more engaging than Chrom.

I don't have much to say about Robin, even though he has dialogue and character, he always felt like a blank slate to me, and idk why, I guess ultimately due to him still being a customizable avatar?

Anyways, I remember equiping Levin Sword and a bunch of electric and fire spells to him, and saw him wreck stuff, which made me wonder why they never added a magic character from FE into Smash. While he may not be super memorable in my eyes, I'll always remember him for the mass destruction he caused.

Oh Shulk, Shulk, Shulk.

If Persona 3 and 5 didn't exist, Xenoblade Chronicles would hands down be my favorite game of all time. The story was just amazing, and I loved all the characters, especially Shulk. Although he was kind of an annoying nerd at the start of the game, he slowly grew up and became more mature and stronger, both physically and mentally, and just seeing him go through all the struggles, from losing a loved one and becoming blind with rage, to later realizing that the conflict he is trying to stop shouldn't be resolved with violence, and then coping with the fact that he's basically a god, I loved Shulk as a character.

His Monado was fun to use, from using Monado Speed to help with evasion, to Monado Armour to tank out attacks, it was a unique weapon that added to his character IMO, and seeing him in Smash made me excited. I don't care about tier lists or anything like that when it comes to Shulk, cause I'll always go to him when I wanna have a good time.

Idk why, I always found his voice in New Super Mario Bros. extremely annoying, and I just don't care for this guy at all. My only question now is who on earth did Bowser hang out with to result in this little demon spawn?

I could never get into Street Fighter, I love the music in the series, but idk, I just suck at traditional fighters in general.

I think my first exposure to Cloud was via the Advent Children movie, and I remember the bulls*** physics and logic that went into that movie (that scene where everyone throws Cloud into the sky still makes me laugh). It was dumb, but I still enjoyed it for being dumb anyways.

As for FFVII itself... eh. I played a few hours of it on Steam when that version came out (after the music got fixed) and I didn't care for it. I recognized that it was an old JRPG from 97, but after putting in 10 hours or so, I just got bored with it. I will always compliment FFVII's music though, there's no denying how amazing the soundtrack is, and I still went crazy to see Cloud in Smash, solely due to how NOBODY guessed someone like him would end up in Smash. I may not care about FFVII, but Cloud is welcome in Smahs.

I only played the first 10 chapters of Fates Conquest before getting bored of it, it just didn't have the same impact on me as it did Awakening.

All I know is that the FE community seems to despise Corrin's character overall, and while I don't recall seeing him doing anything cringworthy, I definitely found him even more forgettable than Robin, and idk, he just sucks as a character, which is ashame cause his character design is really cool IMO.

I remember getting my Wii U on around May of 2014, the same day Mario Kart 8 came out, and one of the first games I wanted to get for the console was Bayonetta 2. Unfortunately, it came out right before Smash Wii U was out, and I could only afford one game at the time, so I had to skip on it for the time being.

A year later, and I was ready to buy Bayo 2, but I noticed it was hard to find copies, and just told myself "I'll check the stores on the weekend." That just so happened to be the same week the final Smash direct happened, and when Bayonetta was revealed, my jaw dropped, it was like Sakurai telling me to buy the game immediately. I finally did, and the game was AMAZING, and I'm so glad she got in Smash, regardless of how notorious she is in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:ultlittlemac: - One of my favorite video game characters. An underdog boxer through and through, and the Wii game had some touching moments, particularly in Mac's Last Stand. Alongside Chrom, Little Mac was my most wanted newcomer for Smash 4, and was one of my mains. Make a new Punch-Out!! for the Switch, Nintendo.

:ultgreninja: - Froakie was my starter in Y and Greninja was a star on my team. It hits just the right sweetspot of cool and dorky for me, much like Decidueye or Chrom. To say I was surprised to see one of my favorite starters in Smash is an understatement.

:ultpacman: - I'd always wanted him in Smash but didn't like his Ghostly Adventures look. I also loved Pac-Man World 2 in my younger days, so to see his classic design in Smash made me giddy. He's just an icon, and I love him.

:ultlucina: - Lucina is wonderful. She's a great unit in Awakening, and as a character she's one of my favorites. Out of the Awakening cast I'd rank her sixth, behind Chrom, Virion, Frederick, Olivia, and Sumia as far as my personal favorites, and about twentieth or twenty first for the franchise as a whole. Plus Chrom's themes of fatherhood are part of why I like him so much, and Lucina is an integral part of that. Also picked her as my free unit during Choose Your Legends. Geirskögul for Smash. :p

:ultrosalina: - I always liked Rosalina and wanted her in Smash, but others had convinced me she wasn't likely. It helps that she's basically one of the few Mario characters with a decently healthy amount of backstory. Galaxy is one of my favorite games as well.

:ultbowserjr: - Another character I wanted, and man did Smash do him justice. I love how from Galaxy onwards he was always tech savvy, which helped distinguish him from Bowser. I do kinda wish his Final Smash was Mega Leg though.

:ultryu: - The man started an archetype, and I totally respect that. I'm a scrub that doesn't play much Street Fighter, but when I do I usually play either Ryu or Dhalsim.

:ultdarkpit: - He has a cool theme song.

:ultmegaman: - I played my first Mega Man game a few months before his reveal, so that hyped me up. He's a neat character.

:ultshulk: - I played about an hour of Xenoblade Chronicles before deciding it wasn't for me, but I like that he was a total nerd.

:ultrobin - Best playable avatar in Fire Emblem, but considering his competition consists of Corrin and Kris, that isn't saying much. He's okay though. He's got a nice design at least, and his relationship with Chrom is nifty.

:ultpalutena: - She's a blast in Uprising. Such a fun character.

:ultcorrin: - Corrin...has a lot of issues. She's not the worst character in the series (that honor would go to Peri EASILY), but definitely a very weak lord. I really wanted to like her too.

No real opinion on the rest.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
:ultvillager: - Villager is just your avatar in Animal Crossing, there's nothing much to say of them outside of Smash.
:ultmegaman: - The only game of the series I played was MM9, and it's evil difficulty turned me off. I want to get the Switch collections, since they have that rewind feature that'll be perfect for someone that sucks in sidescrollers like me
:ultwiifittrainer: - They're one of my favorite characters in Smash, but I don't have much of an opinion of them in Wii Fit... Well they do say to me "great job!" even if I did a bad job in the strength/yoga exercises, so I guess I can call her uplifting.
:ultrosalina: - My favorite Mario girl, and my third fave Mario character. I absolutely love her goddess-like aura, she's a character that makes me feel good in a spiritual way if it kinda makes sense. idk I just like her aura she gives me a really good feeling
:ultlittlemac: - I like his underground story. Punch Out on Wii makes it even more charming
:ultgreninja: - not my fave Kalos starter, but I like him
:ultmiifighters: - Not much too say about another blank state avatar BUT I was a huge fan of the idea back when the Wii era started. Nowadays I'm not as much, but I still get good memories when I play as my Mii in games.
:ultpalutena: - She's a really enjoyable character in Uprising, she's hilarious, caring and just fun.
:ultdarkpit: - Cool theme song, cool edgy mirror Shadow-esque character. Always liked him
:ultpacman: - ...wakawaka. Ok iconic videogame character but that's it for me, I don't have any other attachment to him
:ultlucina: - My favorite Awakening character. She just resonates really well with me, I guess I just love characters with huge drive to save the world. Plus, the scene where Chrom discover who Lucina actually is made me emotional even if I already had her identity spoiled
:ultrobin: - He's a really cool avatar. I like how he's not just a POV character like Cross or a blank state like Villager, he's actually a integral part to the story, and a wonderful tactician
:ultshulk: - Where to start???? He's intelligent WHILE being the loud dorky memeish anime JRPG hero?????? SIGN ME IN I love Shulk so much, Elma is awesome and Rex ain't bad, but Shulk is still untouched my favorite protagonist of his series
:ultbowserjr: - He's cute, he had a cute story arc in Sunshine. About the Koopalings, I just love :4ludwig:, I love his attitude and design
:ultduckhunt: - Outside of Smash I don't have much to say. Which is ironic, since I always rooted for his inclusion bc I always thought he'd translate into a cool Smash character, and I wasn't wrong
:ultryu: - ...I think he's attractive :p but yeah I don't know about him much, I only played SSFIV and I suck at it
:ultcloud: - I never played his game, I do not like his design, and the fact his hair style is nearly identical to a Brazilian morning show presenter's just sets me off even more. I do hear a lot about his game though so I'm patiently waiting for 2030 so I can play the remake
:ultcorrin: - I skipped Fates, all I know they're a bisexual Nintendo protagonist (before anyone gets mad like in the Brawl thread, the male one can date Niles and the female one Rhajat so), the first one (actually the second but again, people do get annoyed when Ike is mentioned in this light so I'll just pretend nothing happened), which is awesome. Only heard bad things of them in their games, though.
:ultbayonetta: - Fabulous, independent, strong, attractive, and protagonist of two of the most amazing action games I ever played? Sign me in, I love her, I do think she can be oversexualized at times but at the same time she's a strong independent character so overall I really like her

Keeshu

Smash Ace
No opinion. He's just a kid with no personality because he's a blank slate character for the player. I only really like Villager because of the Smash 4 reveal that made everyone make him portray him like a serial killer. Because it's hilarious with his adorable cheerful self.
For the longest time I thought Mega Man was a Sega character because the only game I played was Mega Man 8. I've played about a hundred different sega genesis games and probably about 50 SNES games, and Mega Man 8 ticks all the boxes of what a typical Sega Genesis game is (Minus sound being a bit different). Aside form that, Mega Man is just a generic good guy, but with a robot personality which means nothing. So he's pretty boring. At least he looks kinda interesting, Though the fact that it looks like he's wearing underwear on the outside of his pants does take away some points. Mega Man was one of the character I loved to use in Marvel VS Capcom (Though Jin was my favorite despite not knowing anything about Jin) because it's easy to spam the charge blaster in that against the CPUs (though when the game got too hard, I had to switch characters because that projectile spam wasn't cutting it after a while).
Wii Fit Trainer has no personality. Though I do remember many times when I tried to use the Wii Fit on certain stretches with muscles that never get used and hearing her/him say "You're doing great!" when I was struggling just to keep my balance "oh yeah sure... SURE I'm doing great." which would then cause me to laugh and be unable to keep my balance due to the muscles not tensing up to be strong enough, and the random movements that come from laughing. I used to have super weak ankles, when I was 19 I couldn't even run because my ankles would just die on me, nowadays I can run with ease. So it was nice to have a bit of an instructor to help ease me back into exercising, since there was no other way I could get someone to help me learn something related to exercise (no gyms in town, and most people in my town are rather fat because they don't exercise). So I'm pretty positive with Wii Fit Trainer despite the lack of personality because it certainly makes it a lot easier to have some character telling you instructions compared to a wall of text.
Not a fan of most Mario characters because of their lack of personality. However, Rosalina's design benefits from the lack of design in the only way having no personality can be cool. Having a "stoic" personality. I remember her backstory being a little interesting but I can't remember it at all. So I kinda like her.
I like Little Mac because he's an underdog, and I usually like underdog characters (just not the cute anime underdog characters). I love his absolutely stupid looking face in the NES game because it has a nice goofy charm to it. I can't describe his wii version's personality, but I like that one a bit too. Other than that, he's really really basic and nothing to say about him. I like him overall. I definitely like his interpretation in Smash (and sometimes I want to get good with him because he's scary when played right. Though my fingers are a bit too dumb to be as good as I want with him.... Though I do win with Little Mac quite often, but I'm usually not trying hard when I use him.
Greninja is a Ninja, like more traditional Ninja than sheik but water themed. So you bet I loved the heck out of Greninja when I first saw him. However, noticing that his "scarf" is a tongue turned me off to the character so hard. Simple reason to love him, simple reason to dislike him, don't need deep reasons to like/dislike things. I would play him in smash, but some of his moves feel so awkwardly slow whether it's the startup or endlag on his moves.
Blank slate character, so no personality. Design wise they look weird so I generally don't care for them. However, I do love customizing characters I have in games, and Miis are all about that. So I like it. Bothered me when Miitomo went down (even though I pretty much stopped playing it months before it shut down), was hoping they'd at least bring all those costumes and such to the nintendo account because they had some pretty sweet looking costumes in the game.
From what I've seen of Kid Icarus, Palutena is best troll and I love her for it. Nothing else to say.
I'll take edgy Pit over normal Pit anyday. I like him at a glance, but I don't know anything else about him.
Just a yellow circle eating things. Nothing to see here. With that said, Pac man is one of the games that made me want to stop using cheats in video games when I was a kid. I did some infinite lives code because I wanted to see the end of pac man. 3 hours later and realizing that the levels just loop, It's one of the games that made me want to never cheat again (off the top of my head, cheating in Mario Bros 3, Quake 2, and Duke Nukem all made me want to stop cheating.)
For the longest time I was just like "Hey look, it's Female Marth!" because I only knew her from Sm4sh. Then I glanced at some Fire Emblem stuff and apparently she saw the doomed timeline? I dig characters that are from apocalyptic time lines, so chances are I will probably like her once I see dialogue and such from her. Also I like her mask, even if it's a little silly that it's a butterfly. Hopefully Meta Knight gets an alternate costume for Morpho Knight so meta Knight and Lucina can be butterfly mask wearing buddies (though I doubt that because Galacta knight is only a skin. Unless Galacta Knight becomes an echo, I don't see there ever being a reason to do something with Morpho Knight). For the longest time I didn't want to use her because I was like "Why use a Marth Clone when I can use Marth himself?". Though there was a time I was interested in playing her kinda like a fun random character like Captain Falcon because of someone's stop motion video of LU CENA! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLOGyAhcTgQ Though, now that I've had time to think about her, I think I may try to use her more often just because of taking a quick look at her description on the fire emblem wiki. Unlikely though, there's a lot of characters I love in smash.
I like his style. I was so unhappy when I found out he never wears his hood in Sm4sh. I was hoping for a hooded alt-costume for him. I'm a sucker for hoods (and always use hooded Little Mac when I play Little Mac. Gotta have a hood!). I like Magic and Swords, and he has both, I love it! Glancing at that, he seems to be a nerd that gets stuff done. I can get into that. I wanted to see if Robin could be a potential main/secondary in Sm4sh but there's just too many problems with him for me to do that. But gosh darn he's fun to play with casually!
Oh look, we have another nerd! I liked him too.... at least before he went full anime and started doing dumb stuff half way through his game because he essentially swapped personalities with Reyn. So, before that half-way point, I love Shulk! He's another character I wanted to potentially main/secondary, but a smidge more than Robin. Though due to how he is in Sm4sh I didn't want to main him, but Smash ultimate fixes my biggest problem with Shulk so perhaps he'll have a chance this time.
I love Bowser Jr. mostly. He's always harder than Bowser himself and I find that cool and hilarious. Bowser Focuses on covering huge areas and attacking by himself. Bowser Jr. never fights you by himself (Shadow Mario doesn't really count since he's just running away, but does show he platforms just as well/ if not better than Mario, go figure). Bowser Jr. instead will just send hordes of enemies at you (usually bullet bills), and his boss fights are usually more interesting. Also it amuses me to think about a future where Mario accidentally kills Bowser and Bowser Jr gets revenge by killing Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom becomes an apocalyptic world run by Bowser Jr.. Would be nice to see in some alternate timeline, That seems like it would be right up Paper Mario's style too. There's only 3 reasons that detract from Bowser Jr. being cool. First is realizing that his bandana is actually a bib. Second is that he idolizes his father a bit too much for my liking. Third, because of that, he uses the clown cart a bit too much (but that's mainly cause I don't like the clown cart. Maybe someday Bowser Jr. will spice it up and make it cool so it's no longer a clown). I gotta say, I wanted to play Bowser Jr. in Smash, I didn't want to play clown cart.
I've shot this dog a few times as a kid, I'm pretty sure everyone has when they missed the ducks. I did have fun trying to control the ducks the few times I got to do that because I thought it was cool you could do that, and surprised that was a thing. With that said, I find them funny. However there's so little and so basic, that there's practically nothing about this character to go off of. Smash 4 does give some extra personality to them too. I like them, but just barely.
Ryu is just mr generic serious protagonist that trains hard. I don't really care for him at all. Ken is a more fun character. Though if we're talkin' street fighter, I loved Vega..... Until I found out that Vega was a narcissistic creep. Vega has a cool mask and that claw is also cool. With that said, Street Fighter has had a lot of influence on Sakurai that's for sure. Inspired the Smash Bros series, and the Fighter ability in Kirby and I love using Fighter in Kirby.
Don't care for his iconic appearance. I love the hell out of his Advent Children costume. I just love his style so much. I honestly know nothing about cloud's personality other than the fact that he's quiet and doesn't want to be around people from the looks of things. I could like that kind of character, but I have to look more into Cloud. However, I'm afraid of seeing something big about the character that totally ruins him, like finding out that Sephiroth just wanted to be with his mommy this whole time. Sephiroth lost a lot of badass points from that. The only game with Cloud I've played outside of Sm4sh is Kingdom hearts. I liked him in that game, even if he was just being all emo and such. I beat him on my first try (but damn did it take forever), and I was so annoyed with donald and goofy dieing constantly. The only other game I played was Final Fantasy chronicles, where I played a severely underleveled Yuke with my niece and one of her friends. Yuke's natural glass cannony nature made me juuust able to keep up in damage, funnily enough I survived in areas they died at. I am curious about the Final Fantasy series, but some of them are grindy and I'm afraid of any sort of grind in video games.So yeah, I like Cloud a lot, hoping Sephiroth can join him in Smash ultimate.
Corrin is a character I feel I should love more than I do, but for some reason I don't. He's part dragon (yay dragons), he's got a Flaming Chainsaw sword (I love the concept of chainsaw swords, and more fire goes with dragon motif), and he can be turn into part dragon from time to time. My biggest problems is that he doesn't look enough like a dragon to be considered a dragon when he's in dragon form. Also he needs to get some dang shoes on. Overall I do like the character though.
Bayonetta has that cheesy awesome appeal to her. Much like Captain Falcon,except she's all about being flashy. I kind of like her, but would have to play her games to know for sure if I actually like the character. I probably would have played her more if it weren't for the stigma she got in Sm4sh cause she looks fun when she isn't doing her 0 to death combos.

As a whole of all characters up until sm4sh. Smash 64 has all the characters where, if you think nintendo, some of these are the characters you think of generally. Melee didn't really add many interesting characters so I'm not impressed by Melee's roster. Brawl has the best set of newcomers and are some of my favorites. Sm4sh feels like it has a lot of random newcomers with most not having much of a personality, but they all play very well. Can't wait to talk about Smash Ultimate, as I may have a BIG story about Ridley.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Smash 4 didn't impress me much honestly. Brawl's newcomers were the best overall. Still, I did like this lineup... somewhat.

I haven't played Animal Crossing, so I could care less about him.

He represents my favorite video game franchise of all time. Not only that, but the Classic series, the most iconic and charming iteration of them all. Don't get me wrong, I also love the others too, especially X, but the good ol' Mega Man gang with Blues, Bass, the Robot Masters, and the colorful stages are all things I hold closely to me. I own every Classic Mega Man game, multiple times over, I have both the U.S. and Japanese Mega/Rockman amiibo, the Gold amiibo, and I plan on also getting both the U.S. and Japanese MM11 amiibos too. Not to mention I own all the Archie comics, the Megamix/Gigamix manga volumes, and a whole lot more.

I know the series is ridiculed for its 8 years of silence and being "the same every time," but I don't care. A justice-seeking robot boy with the ability to copy any weapon and blow stuff up is awesome to me and always will be. I love Mega Man. All of it. Except MM8.

I played Wii Fit once. That's it, lol.

I'm a huge Mario fan, but I don't have the same adoration for the Mario Galaxy games that others do. I'm more of a Sunshine guy (yeah, go ahead and boo) so I have little care for her to be honest.

Played Punch-Out!! on the NES and Wii, but it didn't leave a big impression on me or anything. I do like Mac and Doc Louis though.

He's fine... but I don't play Pokemon.

Back in the Wii days I made the Miis you loathe to think about.

Eh. I like Hades and Viridi more. I get why she's here, though.

I like him. Basically not-nice Pit but he isn't unpleasant IMO.

Love Pac. I've played Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man at arcades and I used to have Pac-Man Pinball Advance. While I didn't get the chance to ever play his 3D games, he's synonymous with gaming as a whole and he is awesome.

Eh.

Ehhhh...

Before Smash, I had never heard of Shulk. I haven't played Xenoblade so I have no opinion on him. He seems cool from his Smash appearances though!

Bowser Jr. Ah, a character that brings back memories of Super Mario Sunshine and the Koopalings reminding me of playing SMB3 and SMW when I was younger. Love it.

That Shadow Mario FS is SICK too.

The dog EVERYBODY wanted to shoot.

Love Street Fighter. I'm more of an Akuma guy, though. Still, he's an alright character in his own right, but not much to talk about.

Never played FF7... but I know him. That's about it.

Geez, how many more of these do we need..?

Dante is better. Can you tell I'm a Capcom fan yet?

Anyway, she's... fine. I don't care about her really personally.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
:ultvillager: - New Leaf was the first Animal Crossing game I played. Played that game to death. I went back to it years later after the big update that came and reset my town. Somewhat regret it. Thinking of resetting it again.
:ultmegaman: - Never grew up playing Mega Man. Primary reason why I never backed Mighty No. 9. The secondary was the kickstarter was released when I didn't have a card. Couldn't exactly to spend $20 for something that would show up eventually. And eventually it did, to the disappointment of many. It's quite fun looking back at all those pro Mighty/Inafune fanarts and whatnot. And with Mega Man getting an official game on the way, why go to Mighty?
:ultwiifittrainer: - Never touched the series.
:ultrosalina: - She's fine. Don't play as her in party games.
:ultlittlemac: - Got his game when Club Nintendo shut down.
:ultgreninja: - Anime made him a joke. Brock was right all along.
:ultmiifighters: - I like using Miis. I'm glad the hair colors has been extended in Switch. We got a taste of those hair colors through Tomodachi Life & Miitopia. Speaking of Tomodachi, it's a very charming game. One of my most played 3DS games. I wished it had a Sims flavor to it. Like me directly controlling their lives then having to wait for them to make a move.
:ultpalutena: - The internet likes Palutena.
:ultpacman: - Played only the classic arcade games. Never touched World.
:ultrobin - Fire Emblem Awakening was what got me into the FE series. Got Fates and Valentia when they came out. I went and expanded my horizons to the GBA games and the DS Shadow Dragon game. Awakening is definitely my most played 3DS game. There's no other game that comes close to it in hours. It helps that I don't get as pissed off as other people do when Awakening receives a bunch of alts in FEH. It's quite amusing how when Awakening came out, Grima was well a generic apocalyptic dragon. But in Heroes, the fandom turned Male Grima into an overprotective dad to the other dragons, and Female Grima got the cute treatment.
:ultlucina: - Olivia's better.
:ultshulk: - I got to say this. It's mostly due to 2, but 1 started it. "Seven," "Catalyst," and "Coffee with Milk" are the dumbest ****** nicknames I have seen for those characters. Like really? Coffee and Milk? You expect me to call her a ****** drink? I cannot take those nicknames seriously, nor the people that use them. Your "justification" to using them in your discussions, makes them come off as secret codenames to your little elitist club. 1 is over 6 years old in North America, turning 7 in Europe, and 8 in Japan. Is there really a point to calling Fiora "Seven" now? To the oblivious, Fiora is wearing armor. Not helping matters is that version of Fiora is in Smash. It wasn't something you could just ignore since the trophy was a random drop in 4, and she was added to Shulk's Final Smash in Ultimate. So, you can continue deluding yourselves into calling these characters your silly codenames. As for me, I have no intention of referring to them as a number, a weapon, or a drink. They all have names, and I'll call them as such.
:ultbowserjr: - I like the Koopalings.
:ultdarkpit: - Like his theme song.
:ultduckhunt: - I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
:ultryu: - Fighting games don't exactly click for me. What makes Smash work for me is the chaos that could be done.
:ultcloud: - Played a couple of Final Fantasy games, but never touched VII. The remake would've been that opportunity, but I don't think we'll actually get it this decade.
:ultcorrin: - The FE fandom hates Corrin as a whole, but between the Male and Female version, Female Corrin gets a pass for being a cute girl. I couldn't exactly use the avatar system to create anyone in Fates. You could get away with Robin since there's only two people that know Robin's destiny so to speak. With Corrin, there's too many people that know who Corrin is. And Corrin's 'beat them to submission but don't kill them' mantra is ridiculous. My avatar would never behave like that. Corrin should've been their own character and the Fates Avatar should've been one of Corrin's many servants. And If anyone claims Etika is a FE fan, they are wrong. He's never beaten a Fire Emblem game.
:ultbayonetta: - Never played her games

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
:ultvillager: - One of my favorite franchises that it was really good to finally see get a rep.
:ultmegaman: :ultryu: :ultcloud:- Not a big fan of these franchises but can appreciate them and the big deal of them getting in Smash. All of them are pretty fun to play as too.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Another great pick for a surprise, joke fighter.
:ultrosalina: - Really do not like her or how she got in over daisy or even pauline among other choices.
:ultlittlemac: - Games are okay, respectable franchise was probably next in line to get one when they did.
:ultgreninja: - I guess kind of served the purpose of being the opposite of charizard at the time but never liked him and now seems kind of pointless with new pokemon and pokemon trainer's return.
:ultmiifighters: - Iconic character that should of got in but really do not like the way they were implemented so kind of ignore them and wish that would change.
:ultpalutena: :ultdarkpit: - Great characters that I enjoy, although dark pit being in like he is did not feel necessary.
:ultpacman: - Iconic character who it was great to see make it in and interesting to see how he was implemented.
:ultlucina: :ultrobin: - Great to see make it in, Lucina is in the Dark Pit situation plus I was a little salty she made it in instead of Chrom but I got over it and actually now like her and the decision.
:ultshulk: - Did not know much about him or his game when he was announced but I looked into more after liking playing as him and now would really like to try out his franchise.
:ultbowserjr: - Really cool to see him implemented the way he was and was a good choice for a mario rep unlike someone else.
:ultduckhunt: - A second joke, surprise fighter, sure why not I guess. Kind of compensation for lack of ice climbers at the time I guess.
:ultcorrin: - Not my favorite FE lord but my favorite to play as although Azura could have been cool as would have some of the better supporting characters.
:ultbayonetta: - Never played her games but she seems like a great character and her games seem fun and I hope to try them out soon although like snake she does not fit in as well in Smash.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
:4bayonetta:- Although I wouldn't exactly say Bayonetta's personality is something to write home about, the amount of cheesiness in some of her scenes are pretty great. Her design is very sleek, flashy and is a perfect combination of provocative imagery and over the top flare; I really like it. Both of her games are also an absolute blast to play. 8/10

:4bowserjr:- For me, Bowser Jr. is one of those characters that never really stuck with me. He's essentially a clone of baby Bowser from Yoshi's island, but with a bandana tied around his neck. IMO, The Koopalings from Mario Bros. 3 have better designs and are just more interesting. Although I did like him in Mario Sunshine where he had the shadow Mario form and paintbrush weapon. Wish he used them more in Smash instead of just in his FS. 4/10

:4cloud:- I really liked Cloud in FFVII, and the character arc he goes through with the Zak memories situation. But unfortunately after VII, Cloud became this glum, depressed Shadow the Hedgehog-like character that I feel didn't fit well with him. Leave the brooding swordsman with a huge sword shtick to Guts from Berserk. 7/10

:4corrin:-Easily one of my least favourite lords in the Fire Emblem series. The avatar character should never be the only protagonist in a Fire Emblem story, since the avatar is supposed to represent anyone, and everyone. Because of this, Corrin lacks depth and complexity, and is sorely missing another protagonist to play off of. (Not to say that other FE lords in the series have Shakespeare-level writing to them, but they at least had more going on than Corrin. Hell, even Robin, another avatar character, has more going on than Corrin does with his whole Grima storyline.) They could have done something cool with his Manakete transformation, but from what I remember he only goes berserk with it once in the story and is never really brought up again. Despite all my gripes with Corrin's character, I do really like their design and their quality as an in-game unit is very high. 4/10

:4darkpit:- Even though Dark Pit's concept and design are ridiculously unimaginative, and he may come off as a bit of a douche at times, he did have some shining moments in Uprising. 5/10

:4duckhunt:- I think almost everyone hated this troll when they played Duck Hunt on the NES, and playing it as a kid, I'd have to agree with them. Despite my animosity towards him in his own game, I really love what Sakurai did with him in Smash by pairing him up with one of the ducks. I could totally see them in their own Banjo Kazzoie-type game with their new designs. Too bad we're basing them on their own games and not in Smash, so the dog gets a 3/10.

:4greninja:- I really like Greninja. Pokemon Y is the only Pokemon game I've fully played through, and I picked Froakie as my starter. I always kept him in my team, and is the Pokemon I feel the most attached to. Other than that, I freaking LOVE his design. The tongue wrapped around his neck acting as a ninja scarf is awesome stuff. 9/10

:4littlemac:- I haven't played any of the Punch Out!! games, but I have watched the Wii game. I gotta say, I really like Little Mac. A very simple character, but his role as an underdog is really appealing to me (I also really like the Rocky movies, so that probably helps too. XD ). Those training montages with Doc Louis are really fun to watch. 9/10

:4lucina:- Lucina's great. She's sort of like the Trunks of the Fire emblem series; surviving in a hellish world, and traveling back in time to change the future. She's a serious badass who fights for a better tomorrow, but can also be pretty childish and sweet in her support conversations, especially around Chrom and her mother. Some of them are pretty funny. She's also a really good unit in-game--especially when she promotes and gets Aether. Kinda wish she had her own moveset in Smash, but I completely understand why she's the way she is. 8/10

:4megaman:- My first experience with the Megaman series was actually the Battle Network games on the GBA, so I have zero nostalgia for original Mega Man. I finally got around to playing Mega Mans 1-3, and I gotta say they are great games--especially 2. as for the character himself, however, he's alright. He's got a nice, simple design, and I like the plethora of different moves/abilities he can get in the games. Other than that though, I don't really have much to say about him. He's satisfactory. 6/10

:4mii:- Never really cared for Miis being in games outside of the Wii shovel ware games. I mean, I guess they're alright, but there's really not much to say about them, since they're just avatars with overly simplistic designs. 2/10

:4pacman:- Outside of the classic arcade game, I really enjoyed PacMan World 2 on the Gamecube. I liked his design in that game, which is the one that's used in Smash, but his current design is pretty subpar. Like with Mario, Pacman is one of gamings most iconic figures, but I find him even more bland than Mario himself is. 4/10

:4palutena:- I really like Palutena's design, but other than that, she's one of the weaker characters writing-wise in Uprising. She still has some good dialogue when she's teasing Pit, but I find that she's easily overshadowed by more interesting characters in the game; which is weird, since she's in almost in every level. 4/10

:4robinm:- When it comes to avatar characters in Fire Emblem, I usually just stick to their default name and appearance and treat them as just a normal character in the game. For me, this hurt Corrin, but complimented Robin. Even though they suffer a bit from "chosen one" tropes, Robin really is their own character. Their relationship with Chrom really helped flesh out their character and help further connect their role as the Shepherd's tactician to the player. A great showcase of "show, don't tell." The Grima twist could have been done a little better, but I still found it satisfactory, and the final battle with Id: Purpose playing in the background was magical. Their design is a little bit on the busy side, but overall it's fine for what it is. 7/10

:rosalina:- I liked Rosalina in Mario Galaxy. Her character came off as mysterious and intelligent, her backstory was touching, and her design is great. That's really about all I have to say about her. 6/10

:4ryu:- Even if it's a little on the generic side, I still like Ryu's design. Never played a Street Fighter game before, so I don't really know anything about his story/character. I do know that he has an evil form though, so that's interesting sounding. 5/10

:4shulk:- Haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles, so I know next to nothing about Shulk. I like his design though, and the Monado is a pretty cool looking weapon. 5/10

:4villager: - I only ever played the original Animals Crossing, but I think I get the gist of the villager. :p They're basically avatar characters. I do like their simple design and expressiveness though. The axe murderer memes before Smash 4 launched were pretty great too. XD 5/10

:4wiifit:- I'm incredibly "meh" when it comes to Wii Fit Trainer. She's simply there. 2/10

From favourite to least favourite:
:4littlemac::4greninja::4lucina::4bayonetta::4cloud::4robinm::4megaman::rosalina::4darkpit::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4palutena::4corrin::4pacman::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4wiifit::4mii:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultvillager:- Killager
:ultmegaman:- he’s making a comeback
:ultwiifittrainer:- the internet did things to this innocent woman
:ultrosalina:- one of my favorite Mario characters (will always use her as much as Mario in any game she’s playable in...that I also play)
:ultlittlemac:- He beat Mike Tyson and Donkey Kong...that is all
:ultgreninja:- don’t okay Pokémon...but I used to think his name was meant for “Green Ninja” and got super confused
:ultmiifighters:- Miis for Memes
:ultpalutena:- She has become one of my favorite god characters and is a green haired waifu (too bad the only person who truly cares for and loves her is Pit though...ironic how she says he needs to make some friends when she has none)
:ultdarkpit:- ...OW THE EDGE...he has an awesome theme song, and outside of his personality and color, he’s is unable to be better than or different from Pit no matter how hard he tries
:ultpacman:- Gaming Icon...never hate the good Pac-Man
:ultlucina:- one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters (of course I’ve only played the 3DS games, Heroes, Blazing Blade, and Sacred Stone but still). After she was announced for Smash I needed to know who she was by playing Awakening...never gonna regret playing such perfection with someone who’s practically the Trunks of Fire Emblem (plus...Laura Bailey makes everything glorious)
:ultrobin- Among my set of favorites like Lucina, but between the two genders the male is better (:4robinf:is barely beaten and is still amazing, especially when she goes into her savage mode)
:ultshulk:- never played Xenoblade, but I’ve seen cutscenes of his game...damn is he great
:ultbowserjr:- the only child Bowser currently owns and is a great villain in development
:ultduckhunt:- Mr.Peepers and Quackers must get the Kid Icarus treatment
:ultryu:- Ryu is a beast, and the only Street Fighter character I’m below decent at (which is good cause I suck at Street Fighter)
:ultcloud:- never played Final Fantasy, so...:ultpit::ultlink::ultcorrin::ultike::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultdarkpit::ultrobin:ultroy::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:>
:ultcorrin:- I like Corrin, but specifically female Corrin (:4corrinf:this girl...this girl right here...she is barefoot waifu and one of my best heroes in FEH, above Lyn, the Robins, Ike, Clair and Lucina)
:ultbayonetta:- Bayo outside of Smash is absolute perfection. Her personality, design, and games are extremely amazing (though that first game...mah gawd is that first game ruthless)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
:ultlucina:- one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters (of course I’ve only played the 3DS games, Heroes, Blazing Blade, and Sacred Stone but still). After she was announced for Smash I needed to know who she was by playing Awakening...never gonna regret playing such perfection with someone who’s practically the Trunks of Fire Emblem (plus...Laura Bailey makes everything glorious)
About that...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultvillager:- Game is fun, but not one I'm going to be addicted to. Villager himself is a little too blank slate, Isabelle and Nook are superior characters.
:ultmegaman:- Never played a Megaman game growing up, so people comparing him to Sonic the Hedgehog in terms of importance made me laugh. People stating he's more important than PAC-MAN of all characters made me laugh to the point I nearly died from lack of oxygen.
I wouldn't even consider Megaman Capcom's most important creation...that goes to the OTHER Capcom newcomer...
:ultwiifittrainer:- Hard to have an opinion of her outside Smash since she's basically nothing.
:ultrosalina:- One of the few Mario characters I really didn't like. Design wise she's so similar to Peach, and honestly she just never grew on me. Pauline, Daisy and Peach>>>Rosalina to me.
:ultlittlemac:- Little Mac's games have always been good fun. I like a good underdog tale and the Wii Title had some great animations.
:ultgreninja:- I chose Chespin, so....Greninja didn't really even make a dent in the story of XY for me
:ultmiifighters:- They're sort of fun. I think they get more hate than is needed, they're just fun little avatars.
:ultpalutena:- Not as funny as she thinks she is. Honestly find her extremely grating.
:ultdarkpit:- Kind of want to smack him upside his face as he's the archetype I usually despise, sort of appreciate him for not 'cracking wise' like the rest of the Kid Icarus cast whom I want to smack them all upside the head for. Minus Medusa. Medusa doesn't make meta gags. Blessed be the original villain of this franchise. She deserved better.
:ultpacman:- A literal goddamn legend and the only third party I actively supported prior to getting in. Loved him in Mario Kart GP too.
:ultlucina:- Everyone loves her, but she was easily the worst of the three protagonists in Awakening for me. Doesn't help I hate time travel plots.
:ultrobin- Robin's pretty fun, he's also the BEST of the three protagonists in my opinion as a tactical genius doesn't neccesarily mean he makes the nicest decisions all the time.
:ultshulk:- Never played Xenoblade, but my sister suggests he's kind of a **** who nearly lets Reyn die a few times by not telling him about his future vision of his death. Kind of a **** friend. He even stole Reyn's catchphrase!
:ultbowserjr:- Prior to Smash I absolutely loathed this character. Thanks to the inclusion of the Koopalings in Smash and Mario Kart I'm far more ambivalent to him. He's at least more important overall to Mario than Rosalina.
:ultduckhunt:- Alongside Balloon Fighter, Duck Hunt is the only retro game character I feel genuinely deserves to be included as a fighter.
:ultryu:- The face of fighting games, and whom I think of when I think Capcom. I feel everyone must have dabbled with Street Fighter 2 at some point in their lives.
:ultcloud:- As a non Final Fantasy fan even I knew of Cloud. FF7 was one of those mega games that pop culture latched onto.
:ultcorrin:- No opinion outside of Smash as I hadn't heard of Corrin prior to their Smash reveal. Dragons are neat, but Fates was released so late in the UK I ended up not buying it out of spite.
:ultbayonetta:- Fun. Only played part of Bayo 1 but I own both games. Must get back on to them..

Favourite to least favourite:
:ultpacman::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr:(Koopalings):ultrobin:ultryu::ultlittlemac::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultvillager::ultbowserjr:(Bowser Jr):ultdarkpit::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultwiifittrainer::ultmegaman::ultcorrin::ultrosalina::ultlucina::ultpalutena:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm pretty mixed on this lot. Smash 4 has a handful of my favorite newcomers in Smash history...but it also has by far the most that I didn't care much for. It's definitely more quantity than quality to me, unfortunately. Outside of a few stand-outs, I was pretty underwhelmed by the newcomers in this installment.

:ultvillager: - I love Animal Crossing, but not so much this "character". I like him via association with the series. I would've preferred Tom Nook, but I have no problem with Villager as the Animal Crossing "rep".
:ultmegaman: - One of the all-time video game icons and easily the third-party fighter I most directly associate with Nintendo. While I never cared much for Mega Man as a character, he's a classic mascot and I could never bring myself to not appreciate that about him.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Literally don't care. She has a comedic novelty to her, but that's all there is. I have no attachment to Wii Fit, so there's just nothing there for me to really care about.
:ultrosalina: - I never really liked Rosalina in the Mario games. She doesn't really do that much and I always found her backstory overrated and not that interesting. Yeah, this inclusion did nothing for me.
:ultlittlemac: - Punch-Out has such a cliched setup to it, but it just works and Little Mac as the underdog protagonist just hits all the right notes. There isn't much to the guy in his own games, but there doesn't need to be.
:ultgreninja: - It's my favorite of the Kalos starters (in that it's the only one I don't dislike), but I still like hundreds of Pokémon a lot more than Greninja. I think it's very middle of the road, as far as Pokémon designs go. It's pretty cool by merit of being a ninja frog monster, but that's nothing particularly inspired as far as Pokémon are concerned.
:ultmiifighters: - Hardly even characters. They're just blank slates to stand in for the player, and I never liked using Miis in any game where I had other options. I find their features really ugly and cheesy-looking. I often forget they're on the roster, honestly.
:ultpalutena: - I don't find her snarkiness charming. Her characterization in Uprising just kind of annoys me. Don't hate her, but I don't really like anything about her in particular.
:ultdarkpit: - I don't like Pit. I dislike Dark Pit slightly less than Pit. Actually my favorite of the three Kid Icarus characters.
:ultpacman: - Pac-Man is great. I love his simplicity as a mascot character and the historical legacy of his franchise. I really like the minimalism of his design and his '70s-era character aesthetic. After Mega Man, the third-party that most deserved to join the roster, in my opinion.
:ultlucina: - Don't really know much about her but I can never get invested in time travel plots. I like her character design, even if it is similar to Marth.
:ultrobin - Don't really know anything about him/her.
:ultshulk: - Never played his game, but not a fan of his design. He looks really overdesigned to me. Kind of has that annoying "loud-mouthed anime protagonist" vibe I've never been a fan of.
:ultbowserjr: - I never play as him in Mario spinoffs. I liked his role in Mario Sunshine, and I like how he's since joined his dad in harassing Mario and co. It's fun to have a child villain. I don't like the Koopalings at all, though. Always found them to be dull character designs who are all interchangeable.
:ultduckhunt: - Super iconic. I loved Duck Hunt as a kid, and I really like the idea of having all of the entities in the game represented in a single "character". The dog was always such a troll that having him team up with the duck is just hilarious to me.
:ultryu: - Mr. Fighting Game himself. While he's probably the most "vanilla" SF character, they're all pretty one-note, and I enjoy how over the top serious he is.
:ultcloud: - He's pretty entertaining in FFVII, but he set a standard for JRPG protagonist archetypes that I don't like.
:ultcorrin: - Smash was the first time I'd even seen this character. I find the design ridiculous. That's all I can really say.
:ultbayonetta: - Bayonetta is my least favorite part of the Bayonetta series. Decent game with a protagonist I just don't care for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4bayonetta:: Took me long to appriciate this character. Didn't exactly want her in the game. But I did consider buying her source games. Might grow on me more if I actually played those games.

:4bowserjr:: I liked Bowser Jr. a lot in Mario Sunshine. Nintendo overused him a little with the New Super Mario Bros. titles, but I didn't mind too much. He's a cool character overall. I wanted him in Brawl at first, but when he got into Smash 4, I didn't really care too much. His Smash moveset just doesn't stick with me too much.

:4cloud:: I didn't like when Cloud got in. Didn't really research the character afterwards either. Can't really find myself interessted in doing such, as his source game looks very aged. I get that it was revolutionary at the time, but compare it to the likes of Ocarina of Time, or Donkey Kong Country, and it just looks like ****. There, I said it.

:4corrin:: Brought Fates far after Corrin got into Smash. The game is great, there are some great and lovable units, but the story is just downright terrible. I get what it tries to do, but you'll have to beat all 3 paths and complete all the DLC to fully "get" what the game is about. Conquest has the most criminal plot ever for example.. just following the orders of a tyrant around, and it really makes Corrin look bad as a character. Birthright has a way better story, but the gameplay is more dull. Also the story focusses way too much on the royals, and Takumi as well as Camilla have SERIOUS mental health issues. Revelations was cool and all, but didn't really feel as satisfying to complete to me. Anyway, Corrin as a character is about as polarising as the game's plot. Also, female Corrin is better.

:4darkpit:: Dark Pit has some great moments in Uprising. Appriciate the character a lot, even if he's somewhat simple in design. Like the fact that he basically was born from Smash, much like Mr.Game & Watch.

:4duckhunt:: Never played Duck Hunt. Heard I missed out. Dogs are cute, but I prefer cats.

:4greninja:: Probably one of my favorite newcomers. Great design, great Pokemon in battle, great moveset in Smash and Pokemon.

:4littlemac:: Never played Punch Out. Which is a shame, cause the Wii game looked pretty cool.

:4lucina:: Awakening is a great game, it just suffers some story inconsistencies. Lucina is also a awesome character, very well written, And also probably the best overall unit of Awakening. Probably my favorite newcomer. I also still think she could appear in a future Fire Emblem title.

:4megaman:: Never really cared for Mega Man. But his games look cool. Could play them some time. My favorite of the 3rd party characters I think.

:4mii:: I never wanted them in Smash. They work for what they do in other games.

:4pacman:: Don't care much for him honestly.

:4palutena:: Sassiness. Cannot contain it, ever. Lots of humor tho. She's okay, but I wouldn't wanna work for her myself honestly.

:4robinm:: Avatar character done right. The whole Grima persona could've been handled better however. But it forces you to think, and I really like that.

:rosalina:: Great design, a Mario character with "personality" which is somewhat rare, yeah I like her. Galaxy was one legendary game, and it's part of the reasons why I won't buy Oddysey, cause it couldn't possibly compare to Galaxy, or 64. Which I do think is a legit reason not to buy the game. Despite being a Toad supporter for Smash 4, I wasn't upset when Rosalina was revealed, but rather pleasantly surprised.

:4ryu:: Street Fighter is a okay game. Whenever I am at a place where there's a Playstation, and they got this game, I wanna play it. Then again, I like fighting games. Same could be said for Tekken, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur honestly. So, yeah.

:4shulk:: Shamefully never played Xenoblade.

:4villager:: I honestly think Animal Crossing is kind of boring. Don't hate me for it, but it's gameplay feels a little too slow for me.

:4wiifit:: Never played Wii Fit. Think I prefer a regular gym.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:ultvillager: - I thought it was a cool choice- Though prior to his announcement, I always was more pro-Tom Nook than Villager. All the same, I've put at least some time into every Animal Crossing game minus the mobile one, so I've got some attachment there. Not much else to say. Animal Crossing is dope, Villager is dope. That said, he didn't appeal to me as a fighter much.

:ultmegaman: - Never had much attachment to Megaman, to be honest. When I saw he was in Smash I thought that was cool, you know, for all the other people. A pioneer, but his games never held much appeal to me. I played a little Megaman 2 and gave up not long into it. Watched Beard Bros play Megaman X though, and that was pretty cool. Not cool enough for me to play it personally but all the same

:ultwiifittrainer: - Shrug. I forget she's in the game. I played a little Wii Fit but she never made much impression to me there, or in Smash either tbh

:ultrosalina: - I like Rosalina okay, though I'd like to see her show up in something substantially again. She was important in Galaxy 1, was just kinda there in Galaxy 2 and then became Extra-Mario-Character-#-6.

:ultlittlemac: - This one was inevitable, and I didn't get super hyped for it but I thought it was only a matter of time.

:ultgreninja: - My hype for Greninja was far less than it should have been because Charizard revealed himself as traitorous salt not 30 seconds before. All the same... When I played X, I chose Chespin so I didn't have attachment to Greninja (To be honest, I wanted to choose Froakie but when I saw the final forms of the starters I really didn't like Greninja's design and swapped to Chespin). That said... After he was unveiled for Smash, I played through on Y and picked Froakie and dude is excellent. Greninja's now my top Kalos starter, no contest.

:ultmiifighters: - Eh. I had hoped they wouldn't be real but my enjoyment of Vinesauce's Tomodachi Life streams made me warm to Miis a little.

:ultpalutena: - I like Palutena from Kid Icarus Uprising, I thought she was a wonderful character. That said, her inclusion in Smash 4 was lukewarm for me. I thought it was expected and not very exciting.

:ultdarkpit: - I feel like Pittoo gets more hate than he deserves. He's a much more interesting character than regular Pit, and I think he's more fun to play as in Smash as well.

:ultpacman: - I didn't want it. I still don't want it. Sakurai could remove Pac Man and I think the game would be better for it. He is one of two characters I feel this way about. I even specifically didn't get a Pac Man amiibo despite the fact I have almost all the others...

You'll note that all of my above feelings were "eh" at best. At this point in the Smash Bros 4 hypecycle, I was less than stoked. None of the newcomers really SUPER appealed to me, and it was kind of bumming me out. At this point as well, the Gematsu leak was all but confirmed so I was just hoping that Chrom would be cool enough to make me excited, since I had just played Awakening a month or so beforehand, though I'd have rather had someone like Robin from that game rather than Chrom.

:ultlucina: - Well THAT'S a surprise. I liked Lucina! Laura Bailey is great, and her second time playing Trunks but this time in Fire Emblem... It was great. It also deconfirmed Gematsu so I suddenly got really excited.

:ultrobin: - WHAT! WHAT WHAT! FINALLY! FINALLY, A CHARACTER I WAS LEGITIMATELY VERY EXCITED FOR. I hadn't felt this kind of excitement for Smash since seeing Pokemon Trainer's inclusion for Brawl. I love Robin. Awakening is my favorite game of all time at this point and I super love the tactician and their supports. Seeing a different Fire Emblem representative was also just amazing.

:ultshulk: - Shulk confirmed the Smash 4 roster leak that I thought only idiots would believe was real. At that time, that was about the extent of my feelings for Shulk, disappointment at the rest of the roster to be unveiled and thinking his trailer was cheesy and bad. Then I watched through all the cutscenes for Xenoblade on youtube and really got into the character. Don't play him much, but I like the character himself well enough.

:ultbowserjr: - When Shulk confirmed the roster, I wasn't happy about Bowser Jr. I thought, "almost definitely just a smol Bowser clone, who cares..." Boy was I wrong. When I saw him in his clown car, when I saw that the alternate costumes were the Koopalings... I got really excited for him. He was then my second most anticipated newcomer after Robin. And I put in a bunch of time to get good with him too, so I really like his inclusion. Which has made me like him more in other games. The frustrating thing is that I was like "I'm gonna main Bowser Jr in Mario Tennis Aces" because I liked him from Smash Bros. But then he was OP and I'm not about that life lol

:ultduckhunt: - Shrug. I couldn't care less, really.

:ultryu: - Never been a big fan of traditional 2D fighters, with exceptions for some Mortal Kombats. I have played a little Street Fighter now and again, but Ryu has never caught my eye. I always found Blanka, E. Honda and Dhalsim to be far more interesting and memorable characters than Ryu/Ken/Chun Li

:ultcloud: - Traditional Final Fantasy is basically my worst genre. I can't do it, I get just so bored so fast. I've seen enough about FF7 (And live with a Final Fantasy nerd who assures me that FF7 is vastly overrated and that Cloud is very dull) to not care much about Cloud, though his existence in Smash is significant.

:ultcorrin: - I was one of two people excited to see Corrin announced (Etika being the other). I was, at that time, very very excited for Fates. And I did enjoy Fates, but not as much as Awakening. I had actually been more expecting/hoping for Azura than Corrin, but I'll be damned if Corrin isn't one of the sleekest and most well designed characters in Smash Bros. I'm very naturally good with Corrin. And sure, Corrin isn't very exciting herself in Fates, but the game is still good.

:ultbayonetta: - BURN IT WITH FIRE. REMOVE FROM THE GAME AND NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN. NOBODY BUYS YOUR LIES THAT SHE WON THE BALLOT, SAKURAI.

:rosalina:: Great design, a Mario character with "personality" which is somewhat rare, yeah I like her. Galaxy was one legendary game, and it's part of the reasons why I won't buy Oddysey, cause it couldn't possibly compare to Galaxy, or 64. Which I do think is a legit reason not to buy the game. Despite being a Toad supporter for Smash 4, I wasn't upset when Rosalina was revealed, but rather pleasantly surprised.
You are super missing out. I didn't want to believe it, but I've come to the conclusion that Odyssey is better than 64. It's the successor to 64 that Galaxy was promised to be but just missed being. But Odyssey is as close to a perfect game as we've gotten in years.

Last edited:

Deezyfesheezy

Smash Rookie
As someone who has played Smash 4 like once, and has never played any type of comp Smash, I think I can provide a unique perspective.

:ultwiifittrainer:Literally nothing. Quite fun to play tho.

:ultmiifighters:Literally nothing but not even fun to play. Never cared for Miis.

:ultvillager:Never played AC. Fun to play.

:ultmegaman:Prolly the best 3rd party inclusion in Smash history tbh. Makes the most sense from a historic standpoint. Really didn't like 90% of moves being a projectile. Would've preferred X but you can't go wrong with either.

:ultpacman:If you don't like Pac Man you haven't played Pac Man World. Pretty crazy to have Mario, Sonic, and Pac Man all in one game. Very fun to play as well and I'm glad they used the best design.

:ultbowserjr:One of the better characters introduced Post GameCube. Never really wanted him in Smash....until he was in Smash and realized this was a great idea. Bonus points for :4roy:

:ultrosalina:Never really cared for her. Memes aside I would have preferred Waluigi, Toad, Kamek, Fawful, Daisy, Mr. L, etc. Like damn near anything. I would have took King Boo.

:ultlittlemac:Great pick, can't really say much else. Fun to play, Nintendo history, and a likable character.

:ultgreninja:This is not Squirtle or Totodile so why is it here?

:ultlucina:Its a no for me.

:ultshulk:The only anime swordfighter I like. I had watched a Lets Play of XC. He is a cool guy. But he's so slooooooooowwwwww.

:ultrobinAnother anime swordfighter but with added magic. Just......ok to play. It seems looked down upon to play the male version.

:ultduckhunt:Fun to play, great throwback to Nintendo history akin to ROB and G&W.

:ultdarkpit:What is this? Why does it exist?

:ultpalutena:This character looks gross and I won't touch it.

I didn't play DLC so this 100% unfounded(most of this is pretty unfounded but you get the point).

:ultbayonetta:Only played Bayo 1. Great game but was never much of a fan of Bayo herself though. Pretty cool she is in Smash just sad to see everyone hates her.

:ultcloud:Not just any anime swordfighter. But THE anime swordfighter. :/

:ultcorrin:Anime swordfighter that turns into a dragon. Everyone on the internet either thinks this character is terrible or wants to smash the female version.

:ultryu:Best DLC newcomer by faaaaaar. Makes 100% sense, has Nintendo history, THE fighting game protagonist. But simply being Ryu is not why he is the best. He wouldn't be that much farther than Bayo. But this gives Ken a chance to make it as an echo fighter so this is the best possible newcomer. And even if Ken doesn't get added, can't wait to play him in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
:4pacman:Can't say I was the biggest fan of Pac Man or even played it that much, but if any 3rd party warrants a place in Smash, it's this guy.
:4villager:Adore Killager, favorite newcomer in sm4sh too.
:4robinm::4robinf:Glad we didn't get Chrom, it was for the best.
:4palutena:Green hair <3.
:4lucina:Blue hair <<3.
:4littlemac:THE Underdog.
:4duckhunt:Smug *****, but he's still a great addition.
:4cloud:Even now I still can't believe he's in Smash, it's like i'm in some warped alternative universe.
:4wiifit:Never played Wii Fit but she seems like a chill girl.
:4greninja:Preferred Delphox but Greninja is still OK.
:4megaman:Never played a Megaman game, but his reveal trailer was the tightest thing ever.
:rosalina:Never played Galaxy but she seems like the sweetest gal ever.
:4ryu:I was always more of a Ken guy, but he's strong like Little Mac and I like that.
:4bowserjr:None of the Mario Games I had had him in it, but he does amuse me when he drives around in the little clown car
:4shulk:Never played Xenoblade but it feels like he'd be a complete bro and a complete nerd at the same time.
:4darkpit:I actually do like him, and prefer him to the other Pit.
:4corrinf:Can see why people were sick of FE after Roy, but I do like her design.
:4bayonetta:Baddest ***** on the roster

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
:ultmegaman: - Being a huge Mega Man fan when he was revealed I went "YES! YES!" because his arrival is long overdue. His voice in the English version of 8 sucks tanuki balls, his Japanese voice in the same game is better (it's Polly Esther). Classic character, though I like X better.
:ultrosalina:- Space waifu
:ultlittlemac:- The greatest teenage boxer ever to come out of the Big Apple, and he finally gets the promotion he deserves. I think he's cool.
:ultpacman: - Pac-Man's okay, but I prefer Galaga.
:ultpalutena:- EXTRA THICC
:ultduckhunt:- The guy with the gun must be the Angry Video Game Nerd.
:ultbowserjr:- [insert SML related comment here]
:ultdarkpit:- his theme song kicks ass.
:ultryu:- A character for noobs.
:ultcloud:- I watched the movie without playing the game. He's still not as good a character as anyone from the SNES or even the NES games. I would've preferred that Terra, Bartz, or even the Warrior or Black Mage get in over him.
:ultbayonetta:- I'd smash.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:4pacman:Can't say I was the biggest fan of Pac Man or even played it that much, but if any 3rd party warrants a place in Smash, it's this guy.
:4villager:Adore Killager, favorite newcomer in sm4sh too.
:4robinm::4robinf:Glad we didn't get Chrom, it was for the best.
:4palutena:Green hair <3.
:4lucina:Blue hair <<3.
:4littlemac:THE Underdog.
:4duckhunt:Smug *****, but he's still a great addition.
:4cloud:Even now I still can't believe he's in Smash, it's like i'm in some warped alternative universe.
:4wiifit:Never played Wii Fit but she seems like a chill girl.
:4greninja:Preferred Delphox but Greninja is still OK.
:4megaman:Never played a Megaman game, but his reveal trailer was the tightest thing ever.
:rosalina:Never played Galaxy but she seems like the sweetest gal ever.
:4ryu:I was always more of a Ken guy, but he's strong like Little Mac and I like that.
:4bowserjr:None of the Mario Games I had had him in it, but he does amuse me when he drives around in the little clown car
:4shulk:Never played Xenoblade but it feels like he'd be a complete bro and a complete nerd at the same time.
:4darkpit:I actually do like him, and prefer him to the other Pit.
:4corrinf:Can see why people were sick of FE after Roy, but I do like her design.
:4bayonetta:Baddest ***** on the roster
Do you like all characters come in Smash For? I thought I was the only one.:grin:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:ultmegaman: - Love all of the classic Mega Man games, I've played through Mega Man 2 so many times I've long since lost count, it's easily my favorite NES game. Although I don't like him in Smash he was definitely the most significant addition to Smash 4's roster imo.
:ultrosalina: - Galaxy is my favorite Mario game, but despite that I can't say I've ever really cared for Rosalina, I've never really understood her popularity.
:ultlittlemac: - Mike Tyson's Punch Out is a proper classic and I've got a ton of respect for it, but that's about it.
:ultgreninja: - Was my starter in Y, but that's not saying a lot considering the other options, and with the Gen 1 starters being available he was vastly outshined. It's an alright Pokémon, but not even close to one of my favorites.
:ultmiifighters: - I both love and hate Miis, I've had a lot of fun experiences with them with my family, but at the same time I also think they're awfully generic and would prefer not to see them online in any of the games I play.
:ultdarkpit: - Never played Uprising, but at first glance he seems like a really standard and tropey take on the Dark character, and since I didn't like Pit's design to begin with this is just... very bad imo.
:ultpacman: - You can't overstate the original game's importance and impact, and for that he'll always get a pass from me, but anything else he's been involved in has largely ranged from bad to awful imo.
:ultlucina: - Best character in Awakening imo, she's got an actual conflict while not relying on any extreme personality traits to keep her interesting, like a lot of the other characters in Awakening depend on. Her design is also just straight up cool.
:ultrobin - Like Lucina he/she's a much more grounded character than most of the cast, and is also a good character, but doesn't really have the same big moments in the story until the very end.
:ultbowserjr: - Actually somewhat nostalgic for me, but not because of Bowser Jr. himself, but rather Baby Bowser in Yoshi's Island.
:ultduckhunt: - Like with Little Mac I've got a lot of respect for the history behind the character and its game, but that's about it.
:ultryu: - Street Fighter isn't a series I've ever gotten hugely competitive about, but I still played it quite a lot some years ago, so I'll always have a lot of respect for it.
:ultcloud: - Can't stand the design at all, but Final Fantasy is one of gaming's big franchises imo, and easily the biggest when it comes to RPGs bar Pokémon, so I'll give him that.

:ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta: - No real opinion of.

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultpacman:So happy they used his best design. Such a cool eater, unique moveset on top of that.
:ultvillager:Cutie pie.
:ultrobin I love tome wielding mages and he is a well done silent protag.
:ultpalutena: Gorgeous design. Broke my heart once or twice in Uprising.
:ultlucina:Marth but done even better.
:ultlittlemac:His reveal trailer was still best thing came from Smash For.
:ultduckhunt:Best trio, wonderful game-character addition.
:ultcloud:He's Cloud. Freaking. Strife. Not my favourite of Nomura's designs but still deserved his place.
:ultwiifittrainer:I like how polite she is. Also good surprise addition.
:ultgreninja:Ninja disco frog! That's it, you can't go wrong with tongue scarf.
:ultmegaman:He had x-over comic with Sonic, right? Also, great robot baby.
:ultrosalina:I'm glad we can play as a mother, a Mario character with a real and impressing backstory on top of that.
:ultryu:Hot- I mean, iconic. You can't make a crossover without him. His funny personality helps.
:ultbowserjr:I like his relationship with Bowser and how he uses his kart and how much of a brat he is.
:ultshulk: A nerd who is also *endgame spoilers*. He's pretty cool, his sword, too.
:ultdarkpit: Great theme, best character arc in Uprising. Just a refreshing take on "Dark" archetype.
:ultcorrin:I like how guy Corrin is kinda a dork.
:ultbayonetta: Sassy, ruthless, smart, powerful, funny, perfect action hero. Most creative moveset around.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
So, overall Smash4 was pretty underwhelming for me as far as characters go. Not a single one of my wanted characters made it in as a newcomer. I was kinda expecting Dixie since she already had data in Brawl, though at least Mewtwo was brought back after a while.

Didn't know this guy before seeing him in the new Smash trailer.
Not gonna lie it was kinda nice to see Megaman make it. I've never played Megaman games before, but I've seen some talk about him many years ago so I knew he existed and was liked, and kinda important. Though I did watch that one Megaman anime with the virtual world..
Ew, what a "character". Lifeless puppet that doesn't exist and just shows moves. If she'd at least look normal I could at least not hate her.
Eh, decent I guess. I had played Mario Galaxy before so I somewhat liked her. Not too hyped about her being in Smash though, since I never imagined it or wanted her. I was waiting on Waluigi (my 4th most wanted) or Toad, or maybe even some enemies like Kamek. She's still a Mario character so I can appreciate her being in Smash.
Didn't know him before tbh, even though he was an assist trophy in Brawl, lol.
I actually do like Greninja in Pokemon a bit. Obviously the frog was my started since I like amphibians and reptiles. He looks a little "weird", but he's okay.
NO! Away with these non-characters!! I absolutely hate the Miis! They look ugly and are unnecessary. They are also not their own character you'd put into Smash. Their whole point is you can make them other characters, but they're nothing on their own...
I think I somewhat knew she existed, but I'm not sure.
I have played the arcade Pacman game a few times, and I actually tried playing another similar game on the PC, which was pretty fun. Overall I don't really feel anything special about him though, maybe a super tiny bit. It's okay that he's here, though.
Didn't know this character at all.
Didn't know this character at all.
Ah, another Mario character. Pretty interesting for him to make it. He's a Mario character so it's a decent addition, I don't especially like him or anything, though.
I played that sometimes when I was a kid. Decently fun, but sometimes I think the gun didn't work too well. Just because I played it doesn't mean I care about it, though.
I don't really care about Ryu. I somewhat knew him since I had seen a few things of SF already, but that's it.
Haven't played his game, I kinda knew him from friends or something, though, and I know FF is liked a lot by many. Didn't really know much about him besides that, though.
"Wtf?" Obviously I didn't know this character anre don't really care about them as well.
Haven't known her before Smash, so that was a big surprised (and huge letdown) when she was revealed. That's one of the two reasons to dislike her - the other being how she is in Smash. But outside of Smash I don't really care about her, even though I wanted to know more at a later time and watched some stuff of her first game.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
:ultvillager: - 4/10

I Like animal crossing, but I prefer the animal characters over the Villager. Wasn't too surprised by their inclusion.

:ultmegaman: - 10/10

The best 3rd party addition in Smash history. Was really surprised since this happened during the 10 year Megaman drought.

:ultwiifittrainer: - 2/10

The most WTF addition to the game. However, despite initial impressions, she's fun to play as.

:ultrosalina: - 5/10

I like Rosalina, but her inclusion didn't come as too much of a surprise to me. It was one of those "saw it coming" characters.

:ultlittlemac: - 10/10

I LOVE boxer characters in video games (except Balrog). And this guy should have been in Smash since Smash 64. You can't change my mind on that. So yeah, Mac was long overdue for a Smash debut. Seeing him in made me main him, no matter how bad he was in game.

:ultgreninja: - 7/10

Was never too big on Pokémon, but Greninja is my 3rd favorite of all time (Blaziken taking the number 1 spot). Was cool to see another ninja character other than Sheik.

:ultmiifighters: - 1/10

Knew this was gonna happen, but I am 100% indifferent to Miis. Hence the low score. Still, it's hilarious that Smash has a better character creator than GTA 5.

:ultpalutena: - 7.8/10 too much light

I'm actually really glad of Palutena's inclusion. Brings up the number of female fighters in the game, which was something Smash seriously lacked in the previous entries. Not to mention, she's a goddess and our first ever staff user, so there's that.

:ultpacman: - 9/10

My boy. This is Pac-Man we talking here. The OG gaming icon. I was afraid that he would never work in a fighting game, but Nintendo proved me wrong. The only thing stopping me from giving him a 10/10 is that there are two Namco characters I would have personally preferred over him. However, his inclusion is 100% understandable.

:ultrobin - 8/10

Probably the most sensible Awakening character to have added. I would have been perfectly fine with Chrom, and expected him over Robin. However, Robin does have the magic abilities to make him stand out from other FE characters.

:ultlucina: - 6/10

I like more female fighters in Smash, and I do not mind that she's an Echo of Marth. In fact, I don't mind Echo Fighters at all as long as they are kept in moderation. Too many means that the game is nowhere near as fun, too little means we don't get as many characters.

:ultshulk: -8/10

A surprise addition for me. I thought Xenoblade would not see much exposure outside of Japan due to how hard it was to find a copy of this game back in the day. Love this addition, and love this character.

:ultbowserjr: - 9/10

Another Mario character, which isn't surprising, but I do love this little brat. What's makes Jr score even higher for me is the fact that you can play as the seven Koopalings as well. If that wasn't there, he'd be a 7/10 for me.

:ultduckhunt: - 10/10

Like Mac, this is a character that has been overdue for Smash. He's such an infamous character and I love him. He is a good boi. The best boi. If you haven't guessed, I love doggos.

:ultryu: - 9/10

The third best third-party inclusion to this game, losing out to Sonic by a small margin. Street Fighter is such an iconic series, and seeing the World Warrior here in Smash makes my heart jump for joy.

:ultcloud: - 10/10

Here's why Cloud ranks so high despite me saying the top three 3rd parties were Megaman, Sonic, and Ryu: This was a character I expected to get into PlayStation All-Stars before Smash Bros. However, despite him being more associated with Sony, Final Fantasy as a series still has major history with Nintendo. FF 1-6 were all Nintendo exclusive. Crystal Chronicles, also Nintendo Exclusive, alongside a multitude of handheld games. A big reason why 7 was a PlayStation exclusive was the fact that Square had a falling out with Nintendo. Cloud being in Smash represents that point in time, and how since then, relations have been restored and look amazing for the future of both companies. He represents the repaired relations between Square Enix and Nintendo.

:ultbayonetta: - 8.5/10

I like Bayonetta, they are fun games. It was also a character I didn't think would be in Smash, since her home series is really graphic. Many thought she was too sexy for Smash, but she made it in. Could be toned down a bit to be less busted, but they have people who voted for her in the ballot only to hate her now. For those specific people I have to say this: You brought this on yourselves.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
:ultvillager: Never played Animal Crossing, but I have no problems with this guy, seems cool to me. Creative moveset is creative.

:ultmegaman: Never been a major Mega Man player, but his inclusion was both expected and understood. Not my cup of tea as a fighter, but I respect him.

:ultwiifittrainer: What a quirky choice...

:ultrosalina: Thought she would be interesting. Always enjoyed Mario Galaxy. But I found her wholly unsatisfying to play. Damn shame.

:ultlittlemac:Punching people is fun I suppose.

:ultgreninja: Pretty cool inclusion, loved generation 6. Ended up really liking playing as him. Probably my favorite Pokemon addition.

:ultpalutena: Her playstyle never clicked with me, although I liked her design and multi-special concept. Never played Uprising sadly.

:ultpacman: Tons of fun. Grandfather of video games here basically, gotta have some respect.

:ultmiifighters:Novelty wore off when I realized they sucked. Still played them for shenanigans occasionally.

:ultrobin:ultlucina: Convinced me to play FE Awakening, and turned me into a Fire Emblem fan. One of the most important inclusions for me. Like fighting as them in Smash too, just prefer Marth as a fighter.

:ultdarkpit: Totally unnecessary, Pit was just fine on his own.

:ultshulk: Introduced me to Xenoblade, now one of my favorite games. Became my main due to his fun moveset, incredibly interesting concept and learning curve, and his character. Giving Xenoblade a chance due to him really drove the whole thing home.

:ultbowserjr: Nice connection here due to my fondness for old school SMB3 and SMW, as well as Super Mario Sunshine. Favorite shenanigan character, even if they were really mediocre.

:ultduckhunt: I just had a lot of fun with this duo. On 3ds, they're still my favorite character to play online with, because no one expects them or knows how to fight them. Great trailer too.

:ultryu: Neutral here. Not excited but didn't mind.

:ultcloud: Exact opposite of Zinith. Favorite character from favorite RPG of all time. Jaw hit the floor. Beyond excited. Loved playing as him, but he was so good I felt guilty maining him and stuck with Shulk. Still my most hype reveal ever.

:ultcorrin: Really liked Fates for it's gameplay, even if it's story was beyond awful. Corrin is a cool fighter let down by pandering and nauseating validation in his home game. Still like him in Smash, nice design and one of the best movesets.

:ultbayonetta: So edgy guys. Nah, seriously, I have no attachment, care or interest here. She's uninteresting to me in every regard, and being overpowered and boring in Smash does her no favors. Played Bayonetta 2, and found it pretty one dimensional. All show and no substance, is how I define her and her game.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:4bayonetta:: I have quite rather unpleasant memories of the original Bayonetta. I much prefer Metal Gear Rising and Nier: Automata TBH.
:4bowserjr:: meh.
:4cloud2:: He's a bit moody, but he's alright. Looks pretty cool... I only know him from Kingdom Hearts XD
:4corrinf:: I only played a little bit of Fire Emblem Heroes before losing my patience, but from what little I played, I remember recieving a Four-star Female Corrin and I was happy about that. That's about it, honestly. I don't remember if I liked her in Fire Emblem Warriors.
:4darkpit:: He's like Reaper from Overwatch, except not as cartoonishly edgy, so he's not as funny.
:4duckhunt:: meh.
:4greninja:: I used to like Chesnaught more, but now I'm not sure.
:4littlemac:: meh.
:4lucina:: She's pretty cool, I guess. I don't remember if I liked playing her in Fire Emblem Warriors, but I definitely remember having her on my team.
:4megaman:: I've been meaning to play the Mega Man series, but I don't like difficult games, so...
:4miif:: I've always had a fondness for Miis. Arise, my garbage OC army!
:4pacman:: I prefer Galaga, but I sometimes to play a couple levels of Pac Man if they have it at an arcade.
:4palutena:: I recall Uprising having pretty good character dialogue, and that's about it.
:4robinf:: You know, I'd totally play Fire Emblem: Awakening if it'd let me date the magic stalker goth lady. But it doesn't, because it didn't occur to the devs that we'd want to date the magic stalker goth lady until Fates, and by then the magic stalker goth lady was overshadowed by the axe-touting friendly goth lady who we can't date. And if they try to rectify that in the new Fire Emblem, we're probably gonna run into a similar problem!
:rosalina:: I should probably play the copy of Galaxy that I own at some point.
:4ryu:: No thanks, I prefer... well, several other Street Fighter characters, actually.
:4shulk:: Ah, Xenoblade. I've never played it, but I love making fun of people who get mad about the sequels.
:4villager:: I haven't played City Folk in ages. I should probably boot it up to see how everyone's--
:4wiifit:: I played a bit of Wii Fit Plus when I was much younger. Didn't think very highly of it, tbh.

Last edited:

Zyphyris

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bri-ex
3DS FC
0001-4098-4797
Switch FC
SW-8496-2727-8390
:ultvillager:-
He's just the default avatar for Animal Crossing, nothing much I can say about him individually. Though I do really love Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

:ultmegaman:-
Prior to his reveal, my only experience with Mega Man was watching the Mega Man: Upon a Star OVA and both seasons of Mega Man Starforce. (You can bet I was excited to see Subaru and War Rock when Mega Man's final smash was first revealed.) I've given the classic Mega Man series a shot nowadays, played through the original trilogy and I'm almost finished with Powered Up. I may not have too many opinions on Rock himself other than his voice in Powered Up being great but man, the Mega Man series merciless.

:ultwiifittrainer:-
Never played Wii Fit, though those obstacle courses always intrigued me. But, uh, yeah. I've got nothing much to say about her outside of Smash.

:ultrosalina:-
She has a real nice observatory and she reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy. That's pretty much it.

:ultlittlemac:-
I always knew about Punch Out but I never gave it much thought in regards to Smash or just in general.

:ultgreninja:-
Prior to XY's release, I was really conflicted on which starter to choose. The moment I saw Greninja I knew exactly who I was going to pick. His design's cool and I really love the stuff they did with him in the anime.

:ultmiifighters:-
I have fond memories of Miis and I have no idea why they get so much flack in the Smash community.

:ultpalutena:-
I've played the first two levels of Kid Icarus, but I honestly don't know anything about the series or the character in general.

:ultdarkpit:-
Edgelord with a rad theme song.

:ultpacman:-
PAC-MAN seems like a cool guy and I do enjoy playing his game whenever I hit the arcade.

:ultlucina:-
Only played the FE: Awakening demo and got to the point where she tried to roleplay as a dead dude. Yeah, no opinions.

:ultrobin:-
Robin is cool. That's all.

:ultshulk:-
I've only seen some of the scenes from Xenoblade Chronicles ~~along with spoiling the ending scene~~, and form what I've seen, I definitely see the appeal of his character. His voice is freaking amazing too!

:ultbowserjr:-
He's one of the few characters I remember predicting pre-Smash For. Junior was at his prime in Sunshine when he had that slick bandana and that paintbrush on the back. Anyways glad he brought the Koopalings with him, Roy's my favorite Koopa Kid!

:ultduckhunt:-
The dog sucks. The duck's cool.

:ultryu:-
He's Mr. Fighting Game. Er, hadouken. Street Fighter's is cool I guess.

:ultcloud:-
Another edgelord, yay!

:ultcorrin:-
No attatchment whatsoever, but I did feel cool for recognizing him during the trailer despite not playing a single FE game.

:ultbayonetta:-
Stupid eye candy character that only has fans because she's a hot grill and strong female character. Like Corrin I did feel cool when I recognized her voice in the reveal trailer.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I used to like her at first, and still do, but not as much. The way she treats Pit is awful and she should respect him a lot more, especially since the angel not only save the world multiple times, but also Palu's sorry butt at least twice, including once from that soul-taking bug thing (I know its name, don't worry).

Honestly don't like him, but I suppose he has improved compared to most dark doppelgangers...

I do like him, and was actually one of my wants that dated back even during Brawl times. He certainly was awesome in Sunshine.

He's okay. Admittedly didn't want him as there were so many begging for him, but I've gotten over it.

Not fond of him or ninjas in general. I preferred Braixen.

:ultrobin:
Didn't really care much, but magic is awesome.

Have no interest, as I don't Street Fighter.

Sorry, but I strongly detest him, let alone I'm not fond of the typical large sword characters.

Same as Cloud, but dislike for other reasons. At least her games have awesome music.

The rest I either don't much know about, don't like, or am neutral towards.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
:4villager:- Don't think I've ever played Animal Crossing before Smash 4 released, but I remember how I always wanted to get into it. My first AC game was New Leaf, and I fell in love with the series after playing it. Villager's cool too.
:4megaman:- I've never played a MegaMan game before, but he seems like a pretty cool character.
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:- Not much to say here since I never used Wii Fit before, but they'd make good personal trainers, I guess.
:rosalina:- Okay, I'll admit it. I had a crush on Rosalina when I was younger. I never played Super Mario Galaxy, but I did have a couple of games that included her like Mario Kart. I read up on her backstory too, so she's definitely my favorite princess out of the three.
:4littlemac:- I never played the Punch-Out!! series before, but I still really appreciate his character and franchise nonetheless. He's a simple character, yet he has a lot of charm to him. Probably one of my most favorite Smash 4 newcomers.
:4greninja:- No strong opinion. When I first played Pokemon X and Y, I picked Fennekin as my starter, while everyone else I knew picked Froakie. But anyway, he has a cool design, and was probably the best choice out of the Kalos starters.
:4miibrawl:/:4miigun:/:4miisword:- Miis were fun to use whenever. Except Mario Kart. I avoided using them. No real reason, other than the thought of using Miis online.
:4palutena:-No strong opinion on her either. I haven't played the Kid Icarus series yet, so I don't know what to think of her. She has a good personality, sure, but beyond that? Nothing else to say on the matter.
:4darkpit:- Like I said, I haven't played the Kid Icarus series yet, which obviously includes Kid Icarus Uprising. So once again, no strong opinion.
:4pacman:- Pac-Man is one of those characters that everybody had to know. Aside from Mario and a few others, he's the face of gaming. His games are good for when you want to pass the time.
:4lucina:- I always liked Lucina, even though everyone else berated her for being a "dull character" and having a "flat chest" and whatnot. Whenever I play FE13, she's my Robin's go-to marriage, which produces a pretty good Morgan.
:4robinm:- Do I even need to explain myself here? I'm the self-declared #1 Robin fan. I bonded with his character and even became obsessed with him to the point of roleplaying him on sites many years ago, even before his announcement. Hell, I even get jealous when I see other people maining or playing him. That's how attached I am to his character.
:4shulk:- Once again, no strong opinion either. I didn't even know of the Xenoblade Chronicles series, let alone of the Xenoblade series at all. So after doing very minuscule amounts of research on him, he's a lot better than in his Smash reincarnation. I guess that has something to do with how many Smash players made a meme out of him with his "I'm really feeling it" quote.
:4bowserjr:- I think I always held a grudge for Bowser Jr. I'm not exactly sure if I did, and I don't know why either. Was it Super Mario Sunshine? Or was it a couple bad games of Mario Party with the Koopa Kids? Hm. I still think he's a cool character.
:4duckhunt:- I didn't hate this guy like many other people did. Then again, I didn't play Duck Hunt. But even if I did, and if I ended up missing a few ducks, I wouldn't get angry at the dog for laughing at me. I bet he's a good boy.
:4ryu:- Never played a Street Fighter game, but I can appreciate his character.
:4cloud:- Never played a Final Fantasy game either, and I know literally nothing about his character.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf:- Haven't played FE14, so I don't know what to think of Corrin. Some say that they're bad characters since they're bland as a result of being a My Unit/Avatar character meant for the player to portray themselves as. I heard the game has many flaws as well, so I don't know. They have a good design though.
:4bayonetta:- Never played a Bayonetta game. Like Cloud, I know nothing about her character.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Little Mac has been my most wanted newcomer for years. Punch-Out is very dear to me, both from the basic nostalgia reasons, and its awesome pattern-based gameplay.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
:ultvillager: - I liked playing the Animal Crossing games, but I don't have any real opinion of the player characters themselves.
:ultmegaman: - Honestly, I was never a fan of the classic Mega Man games, they were too hard for me as a kid, and the overall aesthetics don't really appeal to me. I liked playing the first MMX game though, at least, and I always did like watching my brother play through the X series like a pro when he was still playing games.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Eh? There's nothing I can really say about her. Wii Fit was fun to play for some time, though.
:ultrosalina: - Kind of indifferent towards her tbh. I wasn't much of a fan of Galaxy, and Rosalina herself was okay as a character, but I never found myself intrigued towards her like most of her fans.
:ultlittlemac: - The NES Punch Out game is a classic, and I've always liked Little Mac for what he is as the classic scrappy underdog.
:ultgreninja: - It wasn't my original Pokémon starter in X/Y, but I've really grown on it since playing through SuMo. I originally preferred Delphox because of its mage design, but nowadays I'd daresay I prefer Greninja over it personally.
:ultmiifighters: - I have no real opinion of them.
:ultpalutena: - Never played KI, so...eh?
:ultdarkpit: - Same as Palutena.
:ultpacman: - Pac-Man's a classic, and his game is something everyone should know at this point. I also liked some of his other more recent games, but they weren't very memorable.
:ultlucina: - Lucina's one of my favorite Awakening characters and I love her for her design and voice (blessed Laura Bailey). She was such a beast unit for me when I had Robin as her mother, and speaking of...
:4robinf: - Robin is another character who I happen to really like for how good she is, and how she's portrayed as a character in both the story and the supports.
:ultshulk: - Shulk's cool, though he isn't my favorite of the Xenoblade party members. That would have to be Melia and Dunban.
:ultbowserjr: - Bowser Jr. is pretty cool as far as newer Mario characters go, I like his relationship with his father and how he's portrayed as someone who's trying to be as big a bad guy as possible just to make his dad proud.
:ultduckhunt: - I don't know why, but the Duck Hunt Dog just makes me laugh whenever I see him for some reason. Maybe it's because he looks like something straight out of a Tex Avery cartoon, or it's because of all the pics and videos I've seen that have him get his 'just desserts' for mocking the player's failure.
:ultryu: - Haven't played Street Fighter that much, but I can't deny Ryu's legendary status. There are other SF characters that I prefer, though, like Chun-Li.
:ultcloud: - Cloud's cool, and I like his game, but FFVII isn't what I'd consider the best game in the series. The game itself feels a little too derivative of FFVI, which I prefer more, and the game's graphics feel too dated for my tastes. Other than that, Cloud is a fine RPG protagonist and I really liked his story arc.
:ultcorrin: - I liked Corrin for some time, but the incessant player worship in Fates plus the godawfulness that is the Revelations path pretty much turned me off on them. Nowadays I just consider them a waste for how they were forced into an Avatar role, when they could've just been a non-customizable canon Lord like the original project plan for Fates had for them.
:ultbayonetta: - No real opinion of Bayonetta, as I've never played her games.

Last edited:

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
:ultvillager: 0/10 Haven't played animal crossing
:ultmegaman: 9/10 He's Awesome from head to toe!
:ultwiifittrainer: 7/10 I honestly was thinking of this character being a fighter
:ultrosalina: 7.5/10 Elegant and the lumas a cute
:ultlittlemac: 6/10 He's alright
:ultmiifighters: 1/10 Despite having fun with creating miis the fighters didn't stick to me
:ultpalutena: 6.5/10 She's alright although Viridi and Hades appeal to me more
:ultdarkpit: 6/10 He's alright
:ultpacman: 8/10 Waka-waka-waka! I like him!
:ultlucina: 0/10 Still haven't played Fire Emblem
:ultrobin 0/10 Same as Lucina
:ultshulk: 0/10 Haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles
:ultbowserjr: 6.75/10 He's decent along with the other koopalings
:ultduckhunt:0/10 Haven't played Duck-Hunt
:ultryu: 6/10 He's alright
:ultcloud:6/10 Despite coming out of nowhere he's alright
:ultcorrin: 0/10 Same as Lucina and Robin
:ultbayonetta: 7/10 Very flashy

Dusclod

Smash Rookie
:ultvillager: -Loved the Animal Crossing games. Some of the most relaxing games I've played to this day. Favorite game from the series is New Leaf. Hoping for AC on Switch to be revealed sometime soon.

:ultmegaman: -Never Played Megaman games. Hard games from what I've heard. I probably don't have the patience or the skill required to play them.

:ultwiifittrainer: -Never played Wii Fit. Not my type of game.

:ultrosalina: -Super Mario Galaxy was really cool, even though I didn't play much of it. I remember watching my brother play it all the time since it is his favorite game of all time.

:ultlittlemac: -Tried Punch-Out. As much as I like Little Mac in Smash, I didn't enjoy playing his games.

:ultgreninja: -Greninja was my first and favorite starter from Gen 6. I'm a huge ninja fanatic. The speed and Badassery of Greninja was really awesome to me back when X and Y came out.

:ultmiifighters: -Miis have some fun games. I enjoyed Wii Sports and Wii Play a lot when I was a kid.

:ultpalutena: -I don't have much to say about Palutena. Never played a Kid Icarus game. I like her personality and appearance though.

:ultdarkpit: -Same as Palutena, but I don't like his personality or appearance.

:ultpacman: -Pac-Man is a classic game, but I'm just really bad at it. Played Pac-Man Party once, I despised it.

:ultlucina: -Lucina wasn't my favorite Awakening child, sure, but I liked her VA and her role in the story. I used her on every playthrough if I used the children. I married her to Gerome in one save, to have a masked couple, and Laurent in another, he seemed really mature for her.

:ultrobin -Robin was the protagonist of my first Fire Emblem game, Awakening. Awakening is one of my favorite, if not, my favorite game of all time. When using Male Robin, I married him to Lissa and Nowi. If using Female Robin, I married her to Chrom and Donnel. Loved their role in the story as well.

:ultshulk: -I do want to eventually play Xenoblade Chronicles. I have played X and I'm currently playing 2. Shulk seems like an outstanding protagonist in the original game.

:ultbowserjr: -Bowser Jr. is cool and I loved his appearance in Sunshine. Larry is a little boring to me, not much going on design wise. Roy is pretty awesome, FEAR THE SHADES. Wendy is just absolutely hideous in my opinion. Iggy is my favorite, I just adore his crazy personality and looks. Morton is my second favorite, I love the black and white color scheme he has as well as that star on his eye. Lemmy is probably in the same boat as Larry. Really boring and nothing to really awe at when looking at him. Ludwig is my third favorite and favorite when it comes to the musicians that they're all based off of.

:ultduckhunt: -Duck Hunt is an instant classic. Not good at it and it's too repetitive for me personally, but what do you expect? It's past its prime.

:ultryu: -Not good at any 2D fighting game, like Street Fighter. I've also never really played Street Fighter games.

:ultcloud: -Final Fantasy is an important part of my childhood and still is important to me to this day. Cloud is edgy like Dark Pit, but for all the right reasons. Love his character and design. Too bad FF7 Remake will never happen. Though, my brother, Ultinarok, loves the game to pieces and I don't blame him.

:ultcorrin: -Say what you will about Fates' story, but the characters were what sold me on it. Started with Birthright first, then went on to Revelations, and, finally, Conquest was third in line and I played that with Ultinarok. Corrin is really unique since they can become a dragon at will. If using Male Corrin, married him to Felicia. If using Female Corrin, married her to Jakob, Niles, Arthur, Azama, Kaze, and Silas. P.S. Arthur and Niles are best husbandos, change my mind.

:ultbayonetta: -Don't care for her, in Smash or not.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
:ultbowserjr: 8.5/10 - I think Bowser Jr. is a very underated character. I like when my Nintendo characters have actual personality (seems I'm in the minority since most Nintendo fans like their characters to be blank slates/generic). He is a spoiled prince brat, who wants to impress his dad but at times his ambition exceeds his abilities which causes more problems not only for Mario but for Bowser himself. We see his personality shine in Sunshine, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Super Sluggers, and Mario Galaxy. He's a fantastic villain that doesn't give enough credit (like K.Rool). Not to mention Bowser Jr. can be pretty humorous at times as well.

:ultlittlemac: 9/10 - I love Punch-Out!! Wii and NES. Punch-Out!! is one of my favorite Nintendo series and I wish Next Level Games would make a sequel for Switch with a set of all new stereotype boxing opponents. The games are hilarious and I like Little Mac he is definitely the character with the least amount of personality within his own series (like most main Nintendo protagonists) but his design and the fact that he's the underdog make me love him.

:ultvillager: 8/10 - I love the Animal Crossing series it is such a fun series. Not much to say about Villager since he's a blank slate avatar but man is his series as well as his play style in Smash awesome.

:ultpalutena: 5/10 - I find this character overated as hell. She (along with most of Uprising) just isn't that funny. People act like everything she says is comedy gold and I don't ever remember laughing at anything she's said. She has a nice character design but her try hard personality kills it for me. She's the Kathy Griffin of Nintendo characters. I much prefer Medusa to her and I wish she was added in Smash 4 instead.

:ultdarkpit: 7/10 - He's the standard "edgy clone archetype" but I can't help but like him and his emo ways. He has a badass theme and I prefer his voice as well as his play style more than Pit.

:ultshulk: 3/10 - Never played Xenoblade outside of the like the first hour. Can't stand JRPG's I find them extremely boring. When he was announced for Smash 4 I was like "Who?" I didn't play Xenoblade until after Smash 4 was released when they released the New 3DS version. Have no opinion of the character other than another JRPG anime looking character.

:ultduckhunt: 6.5/10 - Not much to say about them. I like playing with them in Smash. He's a fun "troll" character to play with in Smash. Duck Hunt sold millions of copies I do think he has a right to be in Smash.

:ultrosalina: 8/10 - I love Rosalina's design and I like that she is basically the "God" of the Mario Universe as she protects and looks over the cosmo's. Her backstory in Super Mario Galaxy was very emotional. Shame that Miyamoto didn't want to include it in Galaxy. But like I siad Miyamoto likes to keep his characters pretty generic and one-note. Glad Koizumi snuck it in as it gave Rosalina a lot more depth than just "outer space Peach clone". I'm also glad Koizumi is now the creative force behind Mario games and while I have my problems with Odyssey's gameplay, Koizumi nailed the personalities of Mario and the gang.

:ultlucina: 7/10 - I like Lucina though I wanted Chrom for Smash 4 much more (glad we got him in Ultimate). Awakening was the 2nd Fire Emblem game I played (1st being Radiant Dawn), BUT it's the 1st Fire Emblem I really sunk my teeth into and I liked it never finished it (for whatever reason) but it was a fun game and I like how Lucina disguised herself as Marth and was the daughter of Chrom and she only wanted to do right for her country or whatever good stuff.

:ultcorrin: 4/10 - Couldn't care less for addition, never played Fates (by the time the game came out I was done with 3DS and had given away to my niece). When I saw her trailer in the final Smash Wii U direct I was like "ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER!!!!!!" at that point I knew the rest of the direct was gonna be major disappointment (I was right). That being said I still ended up buying her along with the rest of the DLC just so I could have a full roster. My friend likes playing with her and it annoys the crap out of me because he use to like to spam her annoying as hell OP counter.

:ultpacman: 7/10 - It's Pac-Man he's iconic and while I personally could care less about 3rd parties in Smash. He along with Sonic and Mega Man are the ones I feel the least amount of "lame he's here too" out of the bunch just because he's so iconic and important to the videogame industry that I give him a pass.

:ultmegaman: 5/10 - Never played Mega Man before Smash Wii U came out. I just recently downloaded the collections on Switch and I gotta say....I don't like Mega Man. His games feel badly designed and cheap as hell and hard as balls to me. If people enjoy them that's fine but they're not for me. I also downloaded the X collections and I think those are better than the "classic" games I still don't feel the need to complete them. Finally I just downloaded the Mega Man 11 demo and I like that WAYYY more than the classic games. Mega Man doesn't feel stiff to control in 11, the difficulty is just right IMO. I will be buying on launch and I think Mega Man 11 will be the first Mega Man game I REALLY enjoy.

:ultwiifittrainer: 2/10 - Get the **** out of my Smash Brothers please thank you! That is all...

:ultcloud: -10/10 - See above.

:ultmiifighters: 4/10 - The absolute definition of "meh"

:ultgreninja: 3/10 - Not a big Pokemon guy didn't know who he was. Was just like "Oh another Pokemon....cool I guess, moving on!"

:ultrobin 7/10 - Like I said earlier enjoyed Awakening but wasn't hyped for him in Smash. Just glad that he doesn't play like Marth so he's cool in my book (no pun intended).

:ultbayonetta: 1/10 (when she was revealed for Smash), 9/10 now that I've played her games- When she was announced for Smash and was claimed to be "the ballot winner" I immediately called a sham. There was so much proof from online polls and just the sales of her own games that that was false. I never even seen that many people clamoring for Bayonetta on message boards, youtube comments, facebook comments, etc. I knew it was just a marketing ploy for Nintendo to try and sell copies of Bayonetta 2 a game that they dumped a bunch of their money into sitting on store shelves collecting dust (Proven by the fact that they use her Bayo 2 outfit as her default one AND the Switch rereleases). What's done is done she came out and basically destroyed the Smash 4 competitive with how OP and broken she was. THAT being said once the Switch ports came out I was like "what the heck let me see WHY she was the ballot winner!" and then fell in love with her series and can't wait for Bayo 3. Still don't think she belongs in Smash but I do have a greater appreciation of the character now that I've actually played her games.

:ultryu: 6/10 - No problem with the character himself he's the most iconic fighting game character out there just Idc for him in Smash. Everytime a 3rd party character is announced for smash I just roll my eyes and go "whatever" they are the least hype characters to be announced to me. Which is ironic because Nintendo likes to promote them as the "top dogs" but I much prefer Nintendo's own characters in their own fighting game. Maybe I would feel differently if 3rd parties treated Nintendo systems better with more support (like how their doing with Switch) OR if we didn't have quite a few big Nintendo players left to be added before jumping into 3rd parties. Like IMO no way Snake, Ryu, and Cloud should've been added before characters like Ridley, K.Rool, Dixie Kong (who still isn't in), Paper Mario, Bandana Dee, Krystal (got deconfirmed), etc. But that's just my opinion.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I’m excited for this one! 4 features my favorite cast of newcomers of any Smash game as of right now, including who might be fighting Ribbon Girl for the title of my favorite video game character period. We’ll be getting to him, though (and you can probably already guess who he is). Putting all that aside, on with the show!

Animal Crossing isn’t my style of game (play-daily games are migraines waiting to happen for me), but I do really like the charm the game presents. The Villagers’ designs all fit their world pretty well. And who doesn’t love their fishing puns?

While I haven’t played his games, I like Megaman (THERE SHOULD BE NO SPACE) quite a bit. He may not have much of a personality as far as the games go, but he’s pretty fun in the cartoon. As far as Megaman as a franchise goes, however, I prefer the X games. Provided said game is not X7. For corn’s sake X, even Weed has more of a spine than you. (And if you know who Weed is, congratulations for being a fan of the greatest anime series ever made! Your cookie’s in the mail.)

My mom was an active player of Wii Fit back in the day, and I enjoyed it when they added pets into the game! When my mom wasn’t around, I’d sometimes go to the yoga segments and copy the trainer’s poses, but I’d usually quit at the ‘now let’s try it together!’ part, since me and the balance board went together like chocolate and wet cheese. Haha.

Wasn’t a fan at first, since I loved Peach+Daisy and Rosalina’s existence led to a lot of people garbing on my princess babies due to Rosalina’s expanded personality and backstory. Now though, I’ve come to like Rosalina quite a bit, given her role in the Mario lore, but I still prefer the classic Mario princess duo over her.

Never did play Punch-Out, but I do like Little Mac’s underdog status…even on the Smash tier lists, haha. XD His franchise is one I wouldn’t mind seeing a revival of for the Switch. Imagine ARMS-style joycon punching, that’d be great.

Like I said with Squirtle, Fennekin was my choice in Y and not Froakie, but I do quite like Greninja’s design. I mean, he’s a ninja frog, gotta love it. I eventually chose him for a Professor Oak challenge (aka Pokemon fan suicide) in X and I super enjoyed it.

Me and my cousin spent waaay too long making hideously ugly Miis on the Mii Channel. Good times. Not really much to say here, they’re avatars through and through. I like their refinement in Ultimate, though. And they have Ribbon Girl costumes so they’re awesome by default.

I'll put this one under a spoiler, cause it's long:

This might come as a surprise to some of you, but I’m gonna say it: Palutena is a tragically underrated character. She’s one of my favorite characters in Smash and KI:U, even with Corrin being my dragon boi and Viridi doing her awesome nuking thing.

“But why Palutena?” you may ask. To many, non-initiated Smash fans, she seems to be a bit of a jag, even to Pit, and there are moments that are kinda skeevy in KI:U, take the ‘patented monster pheromone’ part for example. But her jabs are usually all in good fun and Pit’s able to take it quite well for the little dork he is.

What truly makes Palutena one of my favorites, however, is when she expresses guilt or vulnerability. Earlier in the game, she expresses guilt and self-hate over the humans’ constant suffering – something Pit is quick to silence – and this makes all the more sense when you read up on the backstory of Kid Icarus. She and Medusa used to work alongside each other, but like Viridi later on, Medusa despised humans and soon made a move to wipe them from the earth. Palutena tried to stop her, but paid for it; she was imprisoned until Pit saved her.

Many years later, Medusa returned to ‘scourge the heavens, sweep the earth!’, so Palutena rallied Pit to take her back down. But then, Hades rose up and tricked the humans into warring over the false Wish Seed, something that Palutena blamed herself for. This is when Viridi (also one of my favorite characters) comes in, worsening things for Palu and Pit. Despite how sad she feels about how everything’s gone to hell, Palutena pushes forward, guiding Pit to fight Viridi’s generals and the Aurum, while still finding it in her to joke around with Pit and even getting in a few shots at Viridi and her generals.

Yet where it really gets good is just after Pit saves her from the Chaos Kin alongside Viridi and Dark Pit. Palutena awakens just in time to witness Pit diving off the Vortex, sacrificing his wings and very nearly his life to save Dark Pit. Palutena is utterly broken at this, lamenting over her treatment of him prior and expressing clear regret with just two words: “Oh, Pit…”

And that’s when I knew I truly loved Palutena as a character. She jokes, she laughs, she almost matches Hades and Viridi in sarcasm, but when push comes to shove, she truly cares about Pit and humanity at large. From then on, she guides Dark Pit to the Rewind Spring to save Pit, and when all that has passed, she is more caring towards her no.1 angel than ever, being friendly, snarking a lot less overall, and always believing that Pit can take down Hades. When all comes to pass, Palutena drops one of my favorite lines in anything:

“It’s true. Humans are simple, selfish little creatures who are driven by greed. Sounds a lot like us gods, wouldn’t you say?”

I just love Palutena so much. She’s likable, funny, cute, and truly kindhearted when the chips are down. Easily one of my favorite ever video game characters and I will defend her to my last breath on Earth.

Well, here’s a simpler explanation. If you’ve played KI:U, Pittoo’s less ‘edgy’ and more Fleetwood Mac-style ‘going my own way’. He doesn’t align with anyone (supposedly…) and sees himself as the superior Pit. Despite his rude attitude, he’s a bizarrely charming character, and probably my third favorite in the game (though with my ramble on Palutena, that’s probably not saying much). I just find him really, really cool.

Well, it’s Pac-Man. What can I really say? He’s one of those characters who doesn’t really need a personality, even in his platformers. He’s fine as is – an iconic design, usually happy, eats ghosts…can’t get much more distilled gaming essence than Pac-Man, and for that I respect the dude.

Lucina is awesome! Probably my third favorite character in Fire Emblem maybe? (At least from the playthroughs I’ve seen.) She’s able to combine many tropes I really like into one blue-haired package. I love how she’s a bit of a dork in spite of how much of a powerhouse she is on the battlefield, it helps make her more appealing to me since I’m not usually into the cold, snarky female characters. Going both with and against this is what makes Lucina likable for so many, including me. Lucina’s a very fun and endearing character, and me watching Awakening in action proved how cool this masked lady is to me. Glad she can call the Smash roster home.

:ultrobin:
It’s weird. Robin is great, but for whatever reason, I’ve never felt as strongly towards him as I do towards many other Awakening characters. Which is not a knock on Robin, it’s more just a statement on how great Awakening’s cast is. Chrom is a likable hero, Lissa is absolutely hilarious, Lucina is both adorable and badass, Grima is an awesome villain who I STILL want in Smash…hell, even Gangrel’s amusing. Robin just doesn’t stick out in my mind compared to many FE:A characters. A shame cause I really like his Smash moveset.

I’m British. Of course I like Shulk! He’s a nerdy goofball with a badass side, which is one of my favorite dynamics for character writing if it wasn’t clear yet. His connection to the Monado was really interesting to me, and his dynamic with his friends was brilliant. Shulk’s a lot of fun in Smash as well. Love this guy.

Jr’s okay, but honestly I was always team Koopaling. All of them are great fun with cute designs, but I especially love Wendy. I love adorable, fashionable girly-girl characters, if you couldn’t tell somehow. The highlights of the M&L remasters was seeing her and the other Koopalings provided with additional character, making me love her all the more. I wish she was in the Mario Party games (or any of the damn Mario spinoffs at all grr), but at least there’s Kart!

Completely missed the NES era due to being a Gen Y scrublord, but I heard a lot of people hated ‘that damn dog’. He was certainly more of a character than many Nintendo characters of the time, though, let’s give him that. His laugh kinda reminded me of Muttley in a way. I found it absolutely hilarious that they got into Smash, and I do like me some dogs (if Isabelle didn’t tip you off), so I’m glad to have them around.

The Quarter Guy put it best. He’s Mr. Street Fighter, but Ken is generally more appealing, and since the first game aged like milk, we usually know Ryu as the ‘grumpy teacher with an ugly face’. Still though, he revolutionized the fighting game genre, like Mario revolutionized platforming, so we gotta give him that.

FF7 is on my ‘must play’ game list. Cloud has a very interesting design, and his Smash playstyle drew me to him all the more. He’s a character I wish I knew more about, besides how Dissidia ruined him for everybody. “I’M SO TORTURED” Oh well. There’s always the new remake.

I hope you don’t mind that I swapped the last two around. Wanted to save the best for last :p

Another Smash character I’m biased towards because British. She’s the kind of character who sells you on concept alone – a woman who uses her hair to formulate giant fists and transforms into pretty much everything to do her usual Bayo thing (i.e. being kind of a ****). Brilliant! She’s a lot of fun to play as, both in her games and in Smash. She’s also bizarrely likable despite being a snarky ***** at times. My kind of witch!

:4corrin:And finally…it's high time I spoke my mind on a certain dragon-kid... :4corrinf:

This one also goes under a spoiler. Here's some fitting music

Oh baby, where do I start with him? I think he (yes, he) might be one of my favorite characters…ever maybe. I love his design, personality, role in all three of the Fates paths and in spite of the hatred he gets, he’s still a character I both relate to and aspire to be like very much. And I’m not gonna lie, this kinda snuck up on me. When I played Smash, I was NOT expecting myself to wind up so attached to this lovable dragon boy. But I dunno what it is. Corrin clicked with me and I found myself always playing as him and growing all the more interested in his home game.

When I witnessed my first playthrough of the Fates trilogy, a part of me became very attached to Corrin. Not only did he have an intimidating yet cuddly design and a unique concept, being a half-dragon lord of the Hoshido bloodline while being brought up in Nohr, but I found his character extremely likable. A few people argue that he has no personality but that’s gotta be one of the biggest loads of phooey I’ve ever heard. Did no-one else see his supports??? Corrin is dorky and mischevious, prone to making jokes at times, but he’s very gentle and incredibly compassionate. I absolutely love characters like that so Corrin appeals to me by default.

Not to mention, he goes through so much pain throughout both routes. He loses his mother only a little while after getting to know her, and is forced to make a decision between two families he loves very much, yet he still wishes for a peace to be made between the two nations of Fateslandia. As a result, he’s also one of the few characters who tries his hardest to actively work towards a way that both Hoshido and Nohr can be happy, in spite of Garon being a **** dad and Iago’s antics in the background. I think a good deal of Elise’s loving and adorable personality comes from the time she spent with her big brother, something else I very much respect him for. I find it extremely upsetting when he loses someone important to him, the poor guy has so many people he loves and cares for that he can’t bear to see them perish…(Birthright is BRUTAL with this by the way)

Now I know people have their issues with Corrin. I’m not going to go into TOO much detail for fear of starting a fight, since defending Fates can often be a can of worms on the internet, and not one I’m willing to open, no thanks to some VERY questionable decisions Intelligent Systems made during its creation. But regarding Conquest, at least…although Corrin does end up following the orders of a tyrant, DUDE WAS GONNA KILL HIM IF HE DIDN’T. Corrin was really put on the spot, and I really felt for him. And despite the pressure and the odds at hand, Corrin still made a point to find a peaceful solution to the conflicts. Could Corrin have made better choices in Garon’s control? Probably. But with him and Iago both out to get him, it makes sense to me that the path Corrin chooses is often quite rocky. Yes, he’s naïve. And perhaps TOO merciful. Believe me, I’m usually the first girl to call “too much mercy” out. But given his upbringing, it’s understandable he’d be so naïve…and incredible how he views the world around him with so much love and compassion. Corrin has the kind of universal love, or “agate”, I wish I had for the world right now.

Above all, Corrin just makes me happy. Be it his dorky side in supports, his fearless nature or his neverending compassion...Corrin gives me hope. He makes me feel really happy and safe, even if he is flawed. I've been struggling with depression for a while now...and Corrin is one of two video game characters who I truly believe makes my life better for existing (Ribbon Girl being the other). Corrin means a lot to me and every time I see him mistreated or joked at, or just flat-out ignored (especially the male version), I can't help but feel a little sad. Yes, I sound like an immature baby, and I'm sorry for that, but this is something I can't help myself for. Everyone treats Corrin like a plague on Smash and/or Fire Emblem, but he's so much more than people make him out to be. If anyone who hasn't played Fates truly believes Corrin is a boring or trash character, I suggest you watch a playthrough of Fates. I think you might be surprised.

The thing with Corrin is that unlike with Palutena who had that one specific moment that truly put her in my top two, Corrin was incredibly likable for me throughout all three paths I witnessed and it just kept building up. Whenever something horrible happened to him, I didn’t just want to hug him because he was adorable, I wanted to hug him because I felt like I was feeling the effects of the tragedy alongside him. Corrin really seemed to engrave himself within me that way. He’s a character I can truly feel for, a character I can admire, and a character that provides me with so much comfort it’s unbelievable. Yes, Fates isn’t a perfect game by any means, and yes, Corrin isn’t a perfect character…but, he just has so much I love about him that I can’t help but call him one of the absoute best.

Corrin, keep on fighting for a better world!

Top Bottom