• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your most hated criticism against your main?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So everyone has a main, or mains, duh. And everyone has criticisms against people who main each fighter. Some of them are logical, or even true, some of them are plain salt. I've seen a lot. What are some of they ones you hate the most?

:ultlink:/:ultyounglink:/:ultmegaman:: Projectile spammer
:ultbayonetta:/:ultcloud:/:ultdiddy:: You only main them because they're S tier
:ultfox:/:ultyoshi:/:ultsamus:/:ultike:: Side B spammer
Any female fighter: You only main them because they're hot

Seriously, I feel like some people only say the things they say because they're salty that they lost.

:ultkingdedede:: Gordo spammer
:ultkirby:: Wow, you main such a simple and easy fighter, low effort
:ultpalutena:/:ultzss:/:ultzelda:/:ultlucina:/:ultrosalina:: You only main them because they're hot
:ultcloud:: Lol S tier kid, DLC sucks
:ultmario:: See Kirby
:ultluigi:: You only won because of misfire, so OP.
:ultbowser:: Wow, spam down B much?
:ultlucina:: Why don't you just use Marth?
:ultroy:: Why don't you just use Marth?
:ultmarth:: You only won because of tipper, I would have crushed you if you picked Lucina or Roy

Last edited:

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
:ultpichu:: People say he's gonna be bad just because he was bad in melee. But this isn't melee this is ultimate. He got buffed greatly and Is similar to pikachu who is gonna be god tier.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
:ultdiddy: Just like you said, supposedly only used for being top tier which never applies to me.
:ultvillager: Nothing but serious spam as they say.
:ultjigglypuff: Gets underestimated by her appearance.
:ultisabelle: Supposedly too childish like to be in.
:ultwolf: Some ignorant people say he's a clone despite having almost nothing in common with Fox aside for his b moves which function much differently.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
:ultpokemontrainer: That they should have been kept separate characters. These characters are all way more interesting combined into one then if they were separate, it's hard to really stand out in a roster of over 70 characters.

Besides if you really hate two of his Pokemon that much, it should be possible to switch twice before respawn invincibility wears off.

Blue Rose

Smash Rookie
:ultroy:: Roy mains have never played his game is a very common generalization and while I'm sure it's true for the majority you can't say that for other people.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
:ultryu::ultken:: They’re too cheap because of their special inputs.

:ultmarth:: You only play Melee characters? You have no skill.

:ultdoc:: Doc sucks. Play Mario or Luigi.

:ultcloud:: High-tier wh*re.

D

Deleted member

:4zelda:
Stop being so defensive
Why do you use nair so much?
Her up b is overpowered
Down B spammer
Lame
So bland, be more creative with your gameplay
She sucks, obviously thats why you still sucks
She is always going to be bad, get used to it.

Excuse my language mods, but
If i hear any of these one more ****ing time!

Last edited by a moderator:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
:ultmario:: The FLUDD is boring, and could be replaced by a Cappy throw. The FLUDD could be mainteined in Doctor Mario. Would even be better to justify the different characters a bit more.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Hooo boy, I got a list.

:ultdoc:
-"Why is he here."
-"He's just another pointless clone."
-"Worthless bottom tier."
-"It's just Mario as a doctor, that's so dull and lame."
-"He's literally worse then Mario in every way."
-"Mario's way more popular, why play him."
-"There's no reason to play him ever."
-"He'll suck in Ultimate, they just gave him a spike and that's it."
-"All his taunts are garbage."
-"He should of been an Echo or else he wouldn't of stolen a slot."

And the ever famous salty guff:

-"WTF! That [insert move] shouldn't of killed. This character's stupid!"

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultike:
Just.
Another.
Sword.
User.

Oh, okay nevermind the fact that he has a completely unique moveset that no one else comes close to replicating and that he's
BAR NONE, THE MOST POPULAR FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER

Also helps that he's one of the actually well written Lords in the franchise and has a fanbase that isn't just made up primarily of Smash players but actual FE fans. Cough Roy/Corrin

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:ultyoshi: That he's just as much of a braindead character as Mario and Bayonetta...

Can you B-Reverse? Can you remember to use your limited recovery options sparingly offstage?

If so, you're not braindead

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
:ultchrom: "He's worse than Roy because his recovery is bad" (seemingly forgetting that Roy's is also bad)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I've seen a lot of people complain about :ultrobin:'s run speed and durability mechanic. I honestly don't think they're really that big of a problem—Robin's all about item management and using his weapons at the right time, place, and character even. Kinda like how Fire Emblem plays.

As for his run speed, well, Robin's a zoner. He doesn't really need speed to rush down his opponents or play hit-and-run. He's in the air for the most part, and he has a sufficient amount of air speed and jump height to get the job done.

R O F L

Smash Ace
:ultolimar:: "LOL, who the heck plays Olimar? Play someone good like Cloud."
:ultmetaknight:: "This isn't brawl"

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
Just.
Another.
Sword.
User.

Oh, nevermind the fact that he has a unique moveset that no one else comes close to replicating and that he's
BAR NONE, THE MOST POPULAR FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER
Also helps that he's one of the better written Lords in the franchise and has a fanbase that isn't just made up primarily of Smash players but actual FE fans.
He is probably the most unique sword fighter.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:ultlink:: Projectile spammer. Seriously it’s why I don’t use his items, too much. Thus losing more then I probably should, because I change in.

Not to say I haven’t spammed. I had reasons though

I mean sometimes I’ll try and do a bombs only match or arrows only, etc

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultlink:: Projectile spammer. Seriously it’s why I don’t use his items, too much. Thus losing more then I probably should, because I change in.

Not to say I haven’t spammed. I had reasons though

I mean sometimes I’ll try and do a bombs only match or arrows only, etc
Well luckily, he has had a whole projectile removed and now has a trap instead, so maybe those complains will lessen.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:ultlucas:
"His specials are exactly the same as Ness'!!"

Visually, yes. However their applications are completely different.
People don't give Lucas enough credit for how distinct his moveset is.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
:ultmarth:
"Tippers are so cheap. Such a broken character"
"Go back to Melee"
"Ugh, Fire Emblem"
"Another anime sword user"
-Gets hate for Roy/Lucina/Chrom playing like him.

"Ike is so bad. He's garbage tier. Play someone better!"
"Another anime sword user"
"Ugh, Fire Emblem"
"F-air spammer"
"His Radiant Dawn design sucks!" (This one steams me real good.)

:ultganondorf:
"you only play him because you're a tryhard trying to get disrespect clips"
"Side B spammer"
"Lol he's bottom tier"

:ultlink:
"Projectile spammer" (Even though I barely use bombs and arrows)
"Brain dead character that only scrubs would use"

:ultlittlemac:
"Smash attack spammer"
"Lol FG Little Mac"
"YoU aiNT nO Air FigHTeR maC"

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
:ultchrom: "He's worse than Roy because his recovery is bad" (seemingly forgetting that Roy's is also bad)
Then there's the people thinking that just having a bad recovery is gonna mean he's bottom tier (bad recovery never stopped Cloud from being top tier even without factoring in Limit related shenanigans) and my personal favorite: he's Little Mac with a Sword, which completely ignores that Little Mac had more problems than just a ****ty recovery holding him back; the biggest one (that I know of) is that he is quite literally the worst character in the air both in terms of mobility (average air speed, bottom five jumps, fast fall speed, and air acceleration almost as bad as Ryu's) and power (no explanation needed).

Y'know, people saying Chrom is gonna be a worse Roy doesn't really mean much when, considering how many think Roy will be top tier, that would imply Chrom would still be on the low end or the middle of high tier since clone characters (as in actual clones before the echo label, not semi clones) haven't really been that far from the base character with 3 exceptions in Melee and that is due to one being a fairly slow character in a very fast paced game, one having busted hitboxes, and the other who was designed as a joke character.

Then again, the game isn't out yet and the only Chrom footage I've seen so far has involved mostly newbies playing the game so it's kinda hard to access how viable a character will be when the folks playing are either newbies, people who kinda suck at the game, or people playing the game with a Smash 4 mindset instead of treating it like a new game

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
:ultrob: There aren't really enough ROB mains for there to be much in the way of stereotypes. Apparently there was a lot of criticism around him when he was leaked during Brawl speculation. Like how the guy who was Nintendo's Trojan Horse into the US was somehow a bad choice.

:ultolimar: Most criticism of Olimar boils down to 'stop playing this character as he's intended to be played!'. Yeah okay, I'll just throw all my Pikmin off the stage and go full Nolimar. A lot of people really hate this character, but apparently he's got some juicy buffs in Ultimate. Sucks to be them.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
"You only main them because they're S tier"
How is this even a criticism? In my experience with competitive games, the most viable strategy is what people will practice if they want to win. Therefore this argument only boils down to "I don't want to win as much as you do."

nutbutter

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post; double posting(please edit your messages instead)
:ultyoshi:: " main a real top tier"
:ultzelda:: "her old down B was her best move"

:ultyoshi: : "main a real top tier kid"
:ultzelda:: " her old down B is her best move."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultshulk:: I really had some people complaining to me that I was playing a cheesy no-effort character... he's literally a low-tier wtf

I'm scared for when he's probably gonna be top-tier in Ultimate and people are gonna call me a tier-***** though lol

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Link- All his Smash attacks are too strong blah blah

Wario- They hate Wario. Everyone hates Wario.

Cloud- He’s worse than Bayo which is not true but I know he’s a little OP. But damn his so fun to play bruh.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultsamus:
1. Spamming
Samus is called Spamus for a reason. If she could deal with rush-down characters, she wouldn't have to rely on her projectiles as much. If spamming is such an issue, then I present to you all the characters on the roster. Bayonetta spams Heel Slide and Witch Time, both of which allow for ridiculous combos. Or, how about Captain Falcon? He spams his grab to the point that this play style is now a meme. If I could show you, there's a picture out there somewhere with Captain Falcon's buttons all being set to "Grab". If it's projectile spam you hate, well then I've got news for you. Duck Hunt, Greninja, Link, Lucas, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, Pikachu, R.O.B., Robin, Toon Link, Villager, and Yoshi are much, much worse.

2. Your jab sucks

I really like the fact that people who don't main Samus are so wrong about Samus' jab 1. Yes, it could be better, but the reality is jab 1 is a decent neutral option. It's safe, it's quick, and Samus can perform other options out of it besides jab 2. When Samus' opponent gets around 30%, he or she will slide back if hit by Samus' jab 1. This is effective against players who get up from the ledge as well, since it sends them right back to where they started. I've had several matches where my jab 1 caused my opponents to slide. Because this is unexpected, my opponents have at times lost their stock or match as a result. If jab 1 is worse in SSBU, then you can say Samus' jab sucks.

3. Cancer
I've been called "cancer" by a Cloud main on For Glory one time. Yeah, it's ridiculous.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
:4mario:: Mario is Braindead since all you have to do is D-Throw to Up Tilt. Depending on your character and percentage, it's easy to get out of the chain.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ultpeach: - If there is a reboot or roster shrinkage, she isn't priority as she doesn't even do anything in her games.

Ya if we ignore Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Super Princess Peach, Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario Bros 2. She's Nintendo's #1 Female Icon (she could benefit from another game starring her being the hero) and deserves respect.

:ultbowserjr: - Koopalings should be cut, Bowser Jr deserves the spot alone.

As someone who played the Super Marios, I can say having the Koopalings feels very nostalgic and fun to have. While I understand concern in regards to development time making all their models, I argue that having the Koopalings actually adds more to the character slot than just having Jr. They all have such varying looks and personalities that it's cute to have Bowser's family together.

:ultwolf: - He's a lame clone. Krystal deserves it more than him!

Wolf is not a clone or at the very least differs from Fox more so than pretty much any other character labeled as clone. It'll never end though, people will always act like he is Dark Pit of Fox. As for who deserves the 3rd spot most, I actually think Wolf deserves the 2nd slot for Star Fox as he adds more than Falco and is more important to Star Fox as a series than Krystal can ever dream to be. She simply got tacked on to add drama to the series which was very poorly received. She is basically Andrea from TV Walking Dead as some angry lady jumping sides and chasing bad boys. She'd be a fine 4th rep or replacing Falco, though I don't think she exactly deserves a spot over Fox, Wolf, Falco, Slippy, or maybe even Leon.

:ultgreninja: - He should be cut, flavor of the month Pokemon.

He's been one of the more successful, well received, and marketable Pokemon in quite some time. Pokemon from later Gens shouldn't be trashed cause you didn't grow up with them. Greninja is a popular and still relevant (plays a role in that Detective Pikachu movie) Pokemon that offers his fill on the roster. And as a reminder, Greninja beat a fire magic, fox girl rival for popularity, that is pretty impressive as he beat out something that seemed made for the furry fandom. He literally was the #1 Pokemon i Japan and even got a special form in the anime that got promoted going into Sun and Moon.

:ultike: - He's not important and should be cut going forward.

He's the most popular lord that was the star in two games that helped further the series being known in America. And to add to that, Ike took off in popularity in the Smash community as well. Ike is a pretty powerful marketable tool now and remakes or sequels to his games would likely sell well cause Ike has become a icon for the series more so than even Marth. We have plenty of other fodder in the FE Smash cast that are more expendable than Ike who was even the FE starter character for Brawl and 4 which seemed to indicate him as staple to me.

:ultolimar: - This small series doesn't really deserve a spot on the roster, I don't like him or his series.

If Olimar doesn't deserve to be on the roster, then basically half the roster could be cut (EX- Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Rob, Shulk, Ice Climbers) and most of the hyped characters should be 0% chances. (EX- Geno, Banjo, Isaac, Spring Man) Pikmin is an ongoing series sporting 3 main games, a spin off thing, multiple little movies, and a anticipated 4th entry. Anyone who thinks Pikmin doesn't deserve to be in Smash is just being selfish.

:ultwiifittrainer: - The male should be removed.

Why? Does a good bodied male make you uncomfortable with your identity? Get over it. There is literally no reason for Male or Female versions of split characters like Robin, Corrin, Villager, Inkling, or Wii Fit Trainer to ignore one gender cause someone can't deal with the other one. Also as usual, it's usually young males freaking about the male version of some hot girl or the SJW getting upset someone may view something as male that they have labeled as female.

:ultpacman: - He's weird and doesn't really fit in. Should be cut for someone else.

Pacman is probably one of the, if the THE most deserving 3rd party icons to be in Smash. Pac Man was HUGE and it's an honor to have him.

:ultincineroar: - I don't like, nobody likes him. Anything else would be better. He ruined everything!

Incineroar is more popular than Decidueye, let that sink in. Incineroar brought something new and fresh with him. He isn't just a fire type and fave Sakurai his chance to design a very fun and expressive grappler heel. His VA also passed away, so it's nice to have this character carry on his legacy for a bit longer. And you're pick is not better just cause you think so and the guys in your support thread think so to. I watched a lot of reaction videos and a lot of people liked Incineroar and his moves. Maybe you should enjoy the 68+ other characters then?

:ultrichter: - He shouldn't of made it in over some other Echo.

Seeing as Simon borrowed heavily from Richter and Richter is very iconic and popular as well, I think it made perfect sense to add both of them. While other Echoes could be cool, Richter really was an awesome pick that shocked and awed many people as most were not expecting him! He also helped end the argument that no 3rd party series could ever getting something more than 1 fighter. It's nice for characters like Tails and Ken to not of been so shut down towards by fans.

"His Radiant Dawn design sucks!" (This one steams me real good.)
Radiant Dawn Ike is best Ike. He stands out from the other guys as some guy who fought hard and grew up in a rough situation. PoR Ike is basically him before growing up and becoming who he'd up being, so he is blander at that stage.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
:ultlucario:
“This character takes no skill because of Aura”
“lol you only won because of Aura”

:ultlucas:
“STOP USING PK FIRE”
^That also probably applies to any Ness mains here, we both get this complaint far too much.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
:ultwolf: "Is a clone of Fox"
Uhh… not even close. I have a feeling those that say this have obviously not played him.

:ultwiifittrainer: "Lol"
Who is laughing when a headbutt spike happens?

:4charizard: "Trash tier character"
Then during the match. "Ahh! I dunno what to do against a good Charizard!"

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
:ultbayonetta:/:ultcloud:/:ultdiddy:: You only main them because they're S tier
Many people do. This will probably become evident if one of them (especially if it is Bayonetta, and maybe less so for Diddy) becomes bad or average in SSBU.
Meta Knight mains also often said that they mained MK because he is their favorite character lorewise. But where are all those MK mains now? Playing Bayonetta because they like her games so much?

Just to clarify, I have no problem with people picking the best character just because that character is the best. If we were only allowed to pick our favorites then the game would give an unfair advantage to people who have top tiers as their favorite. Being able to pick characters just because they are the best takes away this unfair advantage.

:rob: They complain about his projectiles, obviously.

:ultwolf: "Is a clone of Fox"
Uhh… not even close. I have a feeling those that say this have obviously not played him.
He is a semi-clone which is pretty close to being a clone. Most characters are farther from being a clone.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Many people do. This will probably become evident if one of them (especially if it is Bayonetta, and maybe less so for Diddy) becomes bad or average in SSBU.
Meta Knight mains also often said that they mained MK because he is their favorite character lorewise. But where are all those MK mains now? Playing Bayonetta because they like her games so much?

Just to clarify, I have no problem with people picking the best character just because that character is the best. If we were only allowed to pick our favorites then the game would give an unfair advantage to people who have top tiers as their favorite. Being able to pick characters just because they are the best takes away this unfair advantage.

:rob: They complain about his projectiles, obviously.

He is a semi-clone which is pretty close to being a clone. Most characters are farther from being a clone.
I don't even know if Wolf qualifies as a semi clone.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Depends on who you ask. Clone and semi-clone are fan-defined terms and will change according to the fan.

That said, he clearly used Fox as a template to go off of, so he's at best a VERY distant clone.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
If Wolf is a semi-clone, Ike is a clone of Marth.

Anyway: :ultfox:
"You only play him because he's top tier"
>Hasn't been top tier since Melee
I've also played every Star Fox game, optimize for high scores, read all the extra manga...I definitely don't play him for his reputation in smash.
"Fox is easy to play."
This is a rarer comment because most people know Fox is historically just a difficult character in general. I think we all get this from people, regardless of your main.
"Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all the same."
I guess except for the fact that they all play so differently.

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
Falco is a semi-clone of Fox and Wolf is more unlike Fox than Falco even though still being based on Fox so I guess that makes Wolf a semi-semi-clone of Fox.
If Wolf is a semi-clone, Ike is a clone of Marth.
Ike is much more distant from Marth than Wolf is from Fox. All 4 of Wolf's specials are heavily based on Fox's, Ike only has 1 special that is heavily based on Marth's and that is his Counter. So I guess that makes Ike a semi-semi-semi-clone of Marth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom