• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's Your Gaming Nature?

Rizen

Smash Legend
When you play games what approach do you take? For example, I'm cautious and a completionist. I'll thoroughly explore and try to find secrets before moving to another area. I take a strategic approach rather than boldly rushing into danger.

What about you?

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Somewhat like you. I'm kinda or at least trying to discover and explore pretty much everything in a video game. I also go out of my way to buy the DLC; usually costumes and extra bosses and stuff rather than just extra boosts to help me in the gameplay.

And for what it's worth, I try out every game with a positive and optimistic view. I don't let reviews or other people influence my judgement in how I enjoy the game, even if there considered the general opinions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most video games I play are fighting games. Before I hit the arcade or even versus mode, I like to take it on over to practice mode to see character move lists and any pre-programmed combos and do them for myself. Since I put away my games during spring/summer seasons, that has become a habit since six months without playing I tend to forget all this. Similarly, when I play Mario Party games I'll first watch the how to play tutorial; Mario Kart games I'll take it on over to time trials mode.

Now, while I'm not that much of a gamer, I do play other things besides Super Smash Bros. and Tekken. Whatever sounds appealing (eg. Splatoon, ARMS, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, etc.) I'll try it out optimistically. For example, despite decidedly mixed reviews in general on the Mario Party series I picked those up and had much fun and merriment with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
If a game has the option to grind for exp and gear I'm grinding for hours. I am a completionist but dislike doing meaningless side quests. If there was an event that I missed because I progressed the plot too far, I might start a new file.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i'm impatient and pretty much lack an attention span. if i find getting 100% or even completing a game at all too tedious, i'll drop it and find another.

as a consequence, i find the fact that every traditional mario game reuses the exact same "get all the star coins for more levels xd!!!" nonsense literally every single time infuriating and have never gotten through a zelda game the whole way through.

the ONLY times i have willingly ground out several levels in an rpg was in mother 3, twice. neither of them were really necessary, i just wanted some psi attacks that would make the boss battles easier (and in the former case it was only AFTER i had ground myself to level 50 that i realized i didn't need psi shield Ω, lol)

Costello

Smash Rookie
I unlock everything and continue practicing the competitive way. if i like the game, i will restart and try to unlock stuff again. but if practicing competitive isn't, i will just unlock everything again.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There are certain games where I would want to complete it 100% by doing all side quest and obtain all collectibles, such as the Mario and Zelda games.

When it comes to rpg games (including strategy ones), it's crucial for me to level grind and learn abilities for hours before moving on into the game's story. I also take the time to do side missions as well.

In multiplayer games, I would keep playing until I unlock everything before playing with friends and family members.

Overall, I simply enjoy playing games with lots of content in them including DLCs.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Fighting games:
https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/fluxwavez/blog/how-do-you-choose-a-fighting-game-main/103426/

Zoning
Zoning characters typically have low health, but they make up for it with their ability to control space. They are strongest when distanced from their opponent and will attempt to keep them at bay with a variety of projectiles and traps.

e.g. Duck Hunt, Pacman, Villager, Toon Link, Snake, R.O.B., Zelda, King Dedede, Falco

Tricky
Tricky characters excel in high mobility, capitalizing on their movement to confuse opponents through feints, teleportation or attacking in multiple directions simultaneously. Usually use a mix of long-range and close-range attacks and they might have a random element to them.

e.g. Falco, Fox, Sonic, Squirtle
Chipp Zanuff, Vergil, Ryu Hayabusa, Rolento, Kabal

~~~

In Shooting games, I value weapons that reward precision, like the Battle Rifle in Halo, this one particular sniper rifle in the first Counterstrike that cost $3500 iirc, that had a scope but was semi-automatic, and the original Star Wars Battlefront in which I'd play the sniper classes mainly; and in Timesplitters, where character choice is a significant thing, I'd play Viola, who had the fastest run speed in the game, tied with Monkey.

~~~

In Role-Playing Games, I always choose magic users or their equivalent: Breton in Skyrim, Jedi Counsel in the Knights of the Old Republic series, Magician and Alchemist in Dokapon Kingdom, the male elven character in the Force class in Phantasy Star Online.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I tend to go the route where I can grind and become overpowered in a certain area of the game so I don't have to grind harder later. There are times where I feel like actually completing a game I enjoyed (Like Saints row 4), Where I tend to be reckless and learn the area that way and be strategic about it (Like skyrim), and Being more strategic on what resources and amount of them I have before progressing and grinding (Like Toontown Rewritten). The second part kind of applies to smash, I attempt to know my opponent by trying to pressure them and view their actions.

Last edited:

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
I like to break things down when Im first starting a game, I often end up accidentally finding small mechanics and not realizing I labbed something instinctively

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
My approach is button-mashing, lol. :) I'm bad at games in general but I still play it, lol. :)

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
Games like 2D Mario platformers I usually play for fun, no 100%, but sometimes I like to go out and get everything, like in Metroid or 3D Land/World.

Only first/third person shooter games I enjoy are TF2 and Splatoon, both usually are goofy and fun games but still rely on teamwork to win.

I have the ability to fly 10 inches in the air if spooked, so horror games are a big no-no.

I am a broke child so Smash is my only fighting game...

Games that have "the" fandom I tend to forget and never play, sorry DDLC and UT.

RPGS like Pokemon and the Mario & Luigi series I tend to grind at a reasonable level, but not until it becomes boring and dry.

Although I can't play most of them, I have a deep interest on those wacky no-sense games, such as Parodius and the Battle Cats, just because of how crazy they can be.

My favorite series is Kirby, because of:
The music,
The gameplay,
The surprisingly deep story,
The sudden nightmare fuel,
And the only God I worship, King Dedede.

Maro Party and Krat are my go-to group games, with the addition of Smash.
That's about it

Peace

Last edited:

McChicken

Smash Rookie
I try to 100% everything I touch, but some games are just too tedious and I lose patience. The first example that comes to my mind is assassin's creed 3, where I just coudln't be bothered to pick up all the feathers. Well, at least I think it was feathers. But I can deal with grinding surprisingly well. I love Monster Hunter and World of Warcraft.
Oh and I can't stand it when games force me to suffer through cutscene after cutscene, because I just wanna play you know. I dropped quite a few games because of stuff like this.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I like games with smooth, fast gameplay, like Smash Bros, many FPS games, and racing games. I tend to be that person who likes to just play the game. I don't care about 100% the game, I just care about enjoying it as much as I can before the credits. I am also that person who chooses the most annoying method possible to win in multiplayer games (Hence me maining the Icies). As a result, people hate me, but I feed off of their hate and end up better at the game due to my positive outlook on the game. I'm also a racing game god, with all of the high scores on racing games in the largest arcade in the world. Not only that, but I also hold the highest Centipede and Mario Bros. scores in the largest arcade in the world. While I seem kind of casual in my attitude, I'm hypercompetitive, and I love to win. Overall, I'm a gamer.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
This is an interesting topic.

I think I've become a bit more cautious and try to take an interest in preparing for fights in RPGs.
I guess Persona 5 is really the only more traditional RPG I've played in a while, so I feel like, judging from that game, I've made an effort to be a bit higher level than I need to be.
Although, I've become very stubborn in changing my party in RPGs, I usually stick with the first party you get.
I just feel like I know them better and can adapt or prepare with them so much easier.

I'm not really a completionist type of person. I'm not too competitive either, only ever got competitive with league of Legends, not that I played Ranked, but I made an effort to be a better team player at least.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I need to explore and collect everything the game has to offer. With difficulty selection I tend to like it to be were I have the advantage but can still loose if I am not careful enough.

Rizen

Smash Legend
In the past I was more of a completionist but now I don't have as much interest in games. Despite being great games I still need to finish Horizon Zero Dawn and Yoshi's Wooly World. I don't plan to ever finish Kirby Epic Yarn or Uncharted 4; they don't interest me.

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
For me it depends on the genre or just the game in general. If a game has a multiplayer and story mode I always play the story mode first so I can learn how to play the game and I just like stories in games in general. When it comes to playing those games I love to explore, even in games like xenoblade which are already long enough. When it comes to fighting games I always try to find rush-down characters. I also am not a fan of speedrunning or glitching games so I try to play as "pure" as possible.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I thought this was going to talk about Bartle's Taxonomy.

385px-Character_theory_chart.svg.png

Source Link

I'm most defiantly in the Explorers catagory. In open world games I get literally lost in discovering new places or finding new mechanics. In fighting games I get more enjoyment figuring out how to play a character rather than be the best. I also love crafting and creating games.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
If this is about Bartle's Taxonomy, I sway hard toward the Achiever/Explorer type.

If this is about general gameplay style, I tend to play mostly RPGs and Fighting Games. For the former, I often have a Wiki out for whatever information I need to make the game easier (such as the command melding list for BBS, or a list of security passcodes for modern Deus Ex games so I can avoid playing that godawful hacking game). I tend to be very meticulous, defensive and as through as possible, reloading the save at the first sign of trouble. For the latter, I spend half of my time figuring out how every character plays in practice to see who I'm interested in, then the other half going through Arcade and other modes as the characters I'm interested in to see which ones are actually fun and effective to play as. I tend to prefer relying on a couple really good moves that I can spam repeatedly.

I have been trying to break out of these habits, being more aggressive in RPGs and more relaxed in Fighting games, but it's not going well so far.

paintbucket

Smash Rookie
I play games as relaxation at the end of the day. I've toyed around with the idea of being a completionist, I honestly feel like I wouldn't have that much drive or motivation to do such a thing. Like, in BOTW, I haven't even explored all the shrines yet or even purchased the DLC, yet I'm perfectly content playing every now and again just killing lynels and guardians and exploring around Hyrule.

Basically, as long as I have something to do, whether it be exploration, extra boss fights and the like just to kill boredom, I'm content.

Top Bottom