• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite (or least favorite) part about your main?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultkingdedede:: Super low tier, so when people lose to me on FG they usually quit out of salt (and by me taunting them), or we become silly and fool around for the entirety of the match. But I hate Dedede's terrible neutral game.
:ultkirby:: Same as Dedede, just not as low on the tier list.
:ultzelda:: D-throw to N-air really annoys people. But she is just so....laggy
:ultwiifittrainer::"Feel the burn in your thighs and gluts"
:ultrosalina:: U-throw to U-tilt to repeated U-airs
:ultrobinRobin has a lot of silly combos that should not exist, but as long as people continue to airdodge I's bringing her to FG.
:ultzss:: Up air
:ultpeach:: D-throw to F-tilt, then after 30 it's D-throw to B-air. Also her side taunt usually gets people to quit.
:ultpalutena:: D-throw to any one of her airs. Yep, she has a ding dong. And her side taunt is awesome.
:ultlucina:: I like her follow ups better than Marth's. "I cannot lose"
:ultmario::UP TILT
:ultdk:: The ding dong
:ultcorrin:: Her air game rocks
:ultcloud:: Same as corrin. Also limit taunting.

ArkhaosZero

Smash Cadet
:ultchrom: Favorite: Well, for one, he's in the game now lol. Chrom's one of my favorite characters of all time, and I desperately wanted him in Smash 4, but I'm happy he's here. I'm thrilled that they made him lightning fast with a chaotic playstyle, as it falls in line with his character, canonical stat lineup, and design.

Least Favorite: Not a ton, really. In a perfect world he wouldn't be an Echo, but I understand that it was necessary to get him in. Aside from that, a super nitpick, but his colors are a tad off.. normally his main attire is closer to black, and the inside of his cape is a tad more light blue, as seen here in his reference art. Again. Minor nitpick, so you could say I'm overall very satisfied for now.

:ultmewtwo: Favorite: I love that Smash 4 turned Mewtwo from this slow, lumbering, awkward character (Melee..) into this dominating glass cannon. His attacks genuinely feel threatening.

Least Favorite: If John Sakurai was my dad, I'd probably want him to make Mewtwo's specials a little bit more.. psychic-y. Shadow Ball and Teleport work fine, but Confusion and Disable seem a little underwhelming when talking about the Ultimate Pokemon.

:ultmarth: Favorite: He's fast, fluid, and feels great to land critical hits tippers with. I think of all the FE characters, they captured Marth the best. They managed to work Marth's famously high crit ratio in as a defining mechanic!

Least Favorite: I dislike what they did with him in Smash 4, he feels clunky to play (largely because he's somewhat of a patchwork job. Literally.) Smash Ultimate seems to be strongly fixing this, though, as his landing lag has significant reduction across the board and his range appears more prominent in comparison to other swordies like Mario, Falcon, Diddy... /s

My favorite part about Lucario is basically everything, although if I had to pick it would be how you can transform from a weak character to an absolute menace with Aura, and how good the advantage state is once you kill someone at high Aura, as it can be really hard for the opponent to come back with all the damage Lucario can do.

Least favorite part is probably... speed? I’m not asking for Lucario to be Sonic levels of speed but it would be nice to speed him up a bit as he’s kind of slow normally. Other than that, probably his counter being complete garbage.
A bit late to reply, but I agree about the dislike part. Lucario's usually decently swift in comparison and depiction. Luckily has attacks have solid frame data, but his run speed really could use a little buff. Perhaps we'll get that in Ultimate!

:ultlucario: Favorite: My 4th. I love how punchy and combo oriented he is, really feels like a scrappy martial artist.

Least Favorite: In addition to above, while I like Aura, I don't like how it's handled in 4 in particular. Since it stacks with Rage, he's balanced in such a way, where no Aura leaves him extremely weak to the point where he can be negative on hit. I'd like it if Aura was chilled out just a little, so that he's still playable out of the gate. Again, Ultimate seems to be remedying this given that Rage is both toggleable and less prevalent.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultlucario:[B said:
Favorite: [/B]My 4th. I love how punchy and combo oriented he is, really feels like a scrappy martial artist.

Least Favorite: In addition to above, while I like Aura, I don't like how it's handled in 4 in particular. Since it stacks with Rage, he's balanced in such a way, where no Aura leaves him extremely weak to the point where he can be negative on hit. I'd like it if Aura was chilled out just a little, so that he's still playable out of the gate. Again, Ultimate seems to be remedying this given that Rage is both toggleable and less prevalent.
Beefy Smash Doods did a video on Lucario's SD to Aura shenanigans. You should check it out.

PyroPancakes

Smash Cadet
Favorite: His overall presentation

Least favorite: Dead mom jokes, spammer stigma, his game hasn’t even been localized yet, not talked about a lot since he kinda stands in the shadow of Ness

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Villager has WAY too much lag after their grab. It’s the bane of that character man. I get punished so much because of that stupidness. Glad in Ultimate it’s been lowered.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As a Mewtwo main, I can't get enough of those sweet buffs we were blessed with during Smash 4. A speedy glass cannon with an emphasis on zoning... perfect, just PERFECT, Sakurai. He's just my speed as far as playstyle, especially considering there really aren't any other glass cannons in Smash currently. (Well, other than Game & Watch, but in Smash 4, he was way more glass than he was any sort of cannon. Here's hoping he gets buffed next...)
As for least favorite... honestly, super minor nitpick, but it sorta bugs me that Shadow Ball doesn't have a charging hitbox even though it did in Melee and Lucario gets to have one on Aura Sphere, which is basically the same move with an aura modifier. I know, Mewtwo's already super good and all that, but even if just for consistency's sake, if there's anything I'd change about my main, it'd be that.
Other than that, though, I honestly don't think I'd change Mewtwo a bit. He's just a perfect fit for me in his current state and I'm glad he looks basically unchanged in Ultimate. (Although if Geno gets in, that'll really test my loyalty.)

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
My least favourite thing? I guess he can feel a little discouraging because while he's very very competent competitively, he requires such finesse to play that screwing up once spells death. His combination of feather weight class and terrible disadvantage stage and easily gimpable recovery makes him a very unforgiving character.
I thought every fox mains least favorite thing was his new voice actor lol

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I thought every fox mains least favorite thing was his new voice actor lol
Fox has had the same voice actor for Star Fox 64, 64 3D, Smash 4, Star Fox Zero, Smash Ultimate and Starlink.

His performance in Sm4sh was due to inability to emulate the "teenage voice" of Fox from 64. He was told to mimic it as best he could.

He has since had more freedom with his voice acting for subsequent games (such as Zero) where his voice was very solid. It doesn't bother me too much but Sm4sh is his worst performance.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I like Samus too. I don’t play online or care about tiers though. I like her because being simultaneously heavy and floaty makes her very forgiving for classic/master orders runs, and she just seems to have usable offensive tools at all ranges, missiles and charge shots from afar, and fairly decent melee attacks unlike say, Mega Man. I’m sure actual competitive players are shaking their heads at my analysis but that’s how she feels to me and that’s why she’s my main.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
:ultness:

Yay: PK Thunder can hit enemies from nearly anywhere, PK Fire is great for racking up damage, and his Forward Smash, back throw, and back air are great kill moves.
Nay: Recovering with PK Thunder 2 is difficult to do with a decent degree of precision, attacking with PK Thunder 2 is even harder, and PK Flash is next to useless.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
:ultrosalina:
Overall mobility is rather subpar for a fighter who levitates. Additionally, below average air speed (when compared to the rest of the Smash 3DS / Wii U roster) makes it hard for Rosalina to land safely when more than half of the roster can walk faster than her air speed.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
:ultjigglypuff:

Yay: Great at moving around the stage, navigating offstage, and racking up damage with constant aerials. Also good at screwing with opponents with Sing immobilizing them (giving a teammate with a powerful-but-horrifically-slow move a great chance to land said move (free Falcon Punch, anyone?), or for Jigglypuff itself to follow up with Rest). Plus the sounds it makes while moving around are adorable.
Nay: Not very good at actually scoring KOs since Rest and the wall of pain have both been nerfed (Rollout was always too hard to use against anyone half-competent at defense to be a worthwhile move). Also, I've killed myself by accidentally using Sing instead of rising Pound far too often — seriously, why does Jigglypuff have an up+B that actually makes it harder to get back onto the stage?!? Also, Sing's range is absolutely terrible — seriously, it should have a much, much bigger hitbox than it does... is everybody in Smash too hard-of-hearing to hear someone singing more than two feet away from them?!? And Puff Up is... well, it can be effective in the proper circumstances, but outside of that, it's a letdown.

:ultlucario:

Yay: Getting hit makes it stronger.
Nay: It's kinda wimpy if it never gets hit. Or immediately after it's KO'd.

:ultmegaman:

Yay: Capable of fighting a comfortably long distance away from the opponent.
Nay: Hard Knuckle can't hit the roof of a barn. (I had a really hard time picking a dislike, okay?)

:ultpacman:

Yay: All of his moves are useful and entertaining...
Nay: Except for his grab, which is too ****ing slow.

Last edited:

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
Ever since Melee (never had an N64) I have been a Ganondorf / Jigglypuff Main

Ganondorf:
yay - Its the Kind of Disrespect, it just feels *good* to stomp an enemy of the Stage and do a taunt afterwards.
nay - Slow, always in the lower Tier Section, most likely not (mayor) Tournament viable.

Jigglypuff:
yay - The glorious Back-Air
nay - The not so glorious final Smash, not as much of a joke pick like it was during Melee time

"you are picking Jigglypuff? It can do nothing!" -> My friend before he realized that Rest can actually do something (we were young and had no Internet so we had to figure out what the move did on our own - it was hillarious when we figured it out)

Ahh, the good old times...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My favorite part about Robin would have to be being able to play as the amnesiac tactician himself. Even if he happened to be bottom tier, I would still main him. I just love his character.

As for least favorite part? Well, because I'm so attached to Robin, I actually get kind of jealous of when I see other people playing him, especially if they main him as well. It's kind of an obsession/perfectionist thing that I have, I guess.
Not me in the slightest, ZeRo plays an amazing Diddy. Makes me proud, if anything.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
In Smash 4, I like Link's speed and hitting power. I think he's the best version of Link we've had so far, he's an easy main for me.

I rather dislike the popular idea that Link mains are bandwagon Link fans who play him because he's Link, and not because they're genuinely good with him. I'm sure it's true in the community to some extent, but he is actually my tried & tested best character.

For the record, I don't spam arrows, either. He's a far better kamikaze pilot in my hands. I think the arrow-spammers are the ones ruining our credibility.
So you aren't allowed to play a character simply because you like them? I didnt realize we had to be top tier in order to play a character. Looks like I'm SOL then...

/s

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So you aren't allowed to play a character simply because you like them? I didnt realize we had to be top tier in order to play a character. Looks like I'm SOL then...

/s
I play Diddy because I like him. That he happened to be Top Tier twice is just amazing coincidence. In a way, it even makes me feel cheap for picking him all the time, so I keep a few steady secondaries as DK and Ike around, who are not Top Tier, to give other players a chance, and challenge myself even moreso. Besides, if I look at certain saved matches, my Diddy is rather frustrating to play against :laugh:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Not me in the slightest, ZeRo plays an amazing Diddy. Makes me proud, if anything.
Likewise, I admire Hungrybox's mad 'Puff skills.

I play Diddy because I like him. That he happened to be Top Tier twice is just amazing coincidence. In a way, it even makes me feel cheap for picking him all the time, so I keep a few steady secondaries as DK and Ike around, who are not Top Tier, to give other players a chance, and challenge myself even moreso. Besides, if I look at certain saved matches, my Diddy is rather frustrating to play against :laugh:
I like Luigi (just look at my username), but I can't play as him worth half a damn; his recovery just feels awful to me. But my primary main, Ness, has consistently been mid-tier at best, and my secondary main, Jigglypuff, was top-tier in one game and bottom tier in the next two. At least Snake got great tourney results.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308

/s
You had to stretch pretty far to take what I said out of context to that extent.

You're obviously allowed to main whoever you want, the general assumption with Link mains is they're not great with the character, they play him because he's Link. That's perfectly fine if that's why you main him, but annoying to be accused of if it isn't. You're going to have a hard time convincing people otherwise if you main him because he's genuinely your best character skill-wise compared to the others.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Likewise, I admire Hungrybox's mad 'Puff skills.

I like Luigi (just look at my username), but I can't play as him worth half a damn; his recovery just feels awful to me. But my primary main, Ness, has consistently been mid-tier at best, and my secondary main, Jigglypuff, was top-tier in one game and bottom tier in the next two. At least Snake got great tourney results.
That's a shame man. Luigi indeed has a rather wonky playstyle. It either suits you or not. Diddy is also not exactly easy to play, but I intensively studied his Brawl moveset before launch in Europe through American and Japanese videos, so I knew precisely how to play him beforehands. Am also sort of planning this for King K.Rool, but he won't be played as much.

Anyway, Ness is indeed great. Was not a fan for his N64 and Melee playstyles, but he was my Low Tier Main in Brawl and then a steady secondary in Smash 4.

On topic though;

:ultdiddy:
What I Love: Aerials, Neutral Dominance, his Forward Smash, F Air, B Air, his overall speed and combo's, easy kill set ups, and the overall layer of "debt" to truly master playing as Diddy, D AIR KILLS!!! <3
What I don't like: Over dependance on banana-game (minor complaint), recovery is easy to mess up and nerfed too much in Smash 4, the stigma of playing a Top Tier character and beating people to mashed bananas

:ultdk:
What I Love: Easy to pick up, surprising speed for his size, dash attack ever since Smash 4 <3 , Giant Punch shenanigans, how satisfying KOs land with DK, cargo shenanigans, range of a sword user despite being a brawler archetype, semi grappling stuff, having so many meteors
What I don't like: The headbutt attack (why was this ever needed), being combo food, trying to land, being spiked, too many slap animations instead of punches, most of his recolors except white and black / yellow

:ultike:
What I Love: That he forces you to improve your read and punish game, the huge range, most animations being drawn from Path of Radiance, being somewhat underrated, that you can land killing blows with tilts, AAA combo
What I don't like: That he's slow ; was quite a shock for me to realise this before Brawl was released cause in Path of Radiance he was real fast (this is no longer a issue however), that he was denied a projectile and worst was that Cloud actually GOT IT, Aether being somewhat underwhelming despite being it shredding enemies to pieces in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn

:ultmewtwo:
What I Love: Strongest projectile in the game, F Air, Confusion shenanigans, having awesome recovery, having boosted power and speed since Smash 4's buffs, overall layer of debt like Diddy, the fear of this character's pressence being a mindgame on it's own
What I don't like: Being a featherweight; this was a weird nerf in Smash 4 I felt but like Ike, I adjusted to it. Also too many tail attacks. U Throw no longer killing as early as in Melee

:ultness:
What I Love: Annoying people with PK Fire, trapping people with PK Fire and then unleasing PK Thunder, SMASHHHHH'ing people with the Bat, aerial game, ceiling kills with PK Thunder
What I don't like: PK Thunder being easy intercepted by certain characters, his PSI attacks not being his own, PK Flash being mostly useless / situational, having sort of low priority especially vs swordies

:ultsheik:
What I Love: Needles, F Tilt and U Tilt, Bouncing Fish, killing people with Vanish unexpectedly, the high chances of having a Impa Echo in Smash Ultimate lol (this is what it took me to play this character), and also the debt like with Diddy and Mewtwo
What I don't like: KO'ing people around 200% and still struggling to land the final blow

:ultlucina:
What I Love: Being a Easy Mode Marth, less pressure on spacing perfectly, F Smash, the overall range, the improved freedom of landing hits on whatever part of the blade making her "feel" a little faster overall
What I don't like: Not being as effective overall as Marth

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
My Sm4sh main was the aura master himself, Lucario.

My favorite parts about him are his amazing design, the absolutely absurd power of his attacks at high aura, and his godlike projectile. A very fun character to play as in my opinion.

My least favorite part is his recovery. Especially on suspended stages, it seems to have a very precise window to actually latch onto the ledge. Just a little too far inwards and you hit your head on the bottom of the stage, too much outwards and you fly up beyond the stage before falling slowly downwards, helpess to a pretty much free punish.

Top Bottom