• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite (or least favorite) part about your main?

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
Every time a new smash comes out, people are like "oh no I hope my main is there." I mean after E3 "everyone is here" no one had to worry but it was still funny to see everyone scared their main was gonna be removed. Everyone maining one of the original 12 knew their main would be there.

Anyway I think my favorite part about Samus is honestly the fact that she's a low tier. (incoming triggered puff mains) In all seriousness though, when you main a low tier, people can't pull the old "well you're just using a high tier that's why you won." That doesn't mean i do that to other people, unless it's like a fox. I care way more about matchups than tiers.

My least favorite thing about maining Samus is the stigma from the spamming 9 year olds. People always think I'm a spamming 9 year old when I say I main Samus. I'll admit though, I do the same depending on your main. I will assume you roll everywhere and spam arrows if you tell me you main Tink. I know, it's hypocritical, but isn't every gaming community full of hypocrites? Just prove to me that you're not like the stereotype of you're main and we'll be good ;)

(mods, I honestly had no clue whether to put this in Smash 4 forums or Smash Ult forums, I'll repost this in the Smash 4 section if you want)

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:ultzss:
Yay: She's a really fun rushdown character that lets me give stunlocking CPUs a taste of their own goddamn medicine. Also, blue is my favorite color. :3
Nay: They're still sticking with the Other M design. The Other M design is fine, but... It's Other ****ing M, which while it might not the worst game ever made from a technical standpoint, it is absolutely the most offensive in its terribleness.

:ultsamus:
Yay: Samus' Power Suit is the most badass suit of armor in any fictional medium. Don't @ me.
Nay: dreadfully boring Down-B and Side-B.

:ultmetaknight:
Yay: Scare people with nerfed tornado spam
Nay: I play too recklessly with him :(

:ultganondorf:
Yay: EVERYTHING is a kill move...
Nay: ...and I can't use any of the cool ones because I don't have the skills needed to land them on evasive targets

:ultike:
Yay: The single best character when it comes to asserting dominance in a free-for-all crowd.
Nay: I hate trying to recover with Ike

:ultmewtwo:
Yay: He has good recovery and lots of fun moves to mess around with
Nay: the Down-B is just straight-up awful.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
My favorite thing about Yoshi is, well, EVERYTHING!!! His design, his personality, his playstyle, his ***ing Yoshi noises, EVERYTHING!!!

My least favorite thing about Yoshi is that he doesn't seem to get the attention the other OG 8 get from Sakurai...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Favorite: I GOT A BIG ASS SWORD
Least Favorite: I ACTUALLY WOULD LIKE TO HIT SOMEONE WITH IT, OCCASIONALLY.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
My favorite part about Lucario is basically everything, although if I had to pick it would be how you can transform from a weak character to an absolute menace with Aura, and how good the advantage state is once you kill someone at high Aura, as it can be really hard for the opponent to come back with all the damage Lucario can do.

Least favorite part is probably... speed? I’m not asking for Lucario to be Sonic levels of speed but it would be nice to speed him up a bit as he’s kind of slow normally. Other than that, probably his counter being complete garbage.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Dedede is dumb and fat and I love him. His moveset just feels so good, using Gordos to influence where your opponent can go is great.

It's just that he's really, really bad. Nearly every battle is uphill and with the amount of people playing as Cloud (cannot figure out why you'd WANNA play as a boring dude with a knife) doesn't really make playing as him a bunch of fun at times.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I dislike that Diddy is heavily reliant on his Banana game, and has little to no tail attacks. Plus the ONE tail attack he did have is a rather wacky one.

Overall I love Diddy's playstyle, but those are just little pet peeves about him. Love the Monkey Flip, all aerial attacks and his awesome neutral game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I love how funny Jigglypuff is on the ground but absolutely devastating in the air. How big weaknesses she have with her shield and Rest are also nice touches. Sing, her Final Smash, all fits her.

But Rollout is rather annoying.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
In Smash 4, I like Link's speed and hitting power. I think he's the best version of Link we've had so far, he's an easy main for me.

I rather dislike the popular idea that Link mains are bandwagon Link fans who play him because he's Link, and not because they're genuinely good with him. I'm sure it's true in the community to some extent, but he is actually my tried & tested best character.

For the record, I don't spam arrows, either. He's a far better kamikaze pilot in my hands. I think the arrow-spammers are the ones ruining our credibility.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
My favorite part about my main Cloud is the powerful move Limit Cross Slash.

My least favorite part is the hate I get constantly because of Limit Cross Slash.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
My favorite part about Robin would have to be being able to play as the amnesiac tactician himself. Even if he happened to be bottom tier, I would still main him. I just love his character.

As for least favorite part? Well, because I'm so attached to Robin, I actually get kind of jealous of when I see other people playing him, especially if they main him as well. It's kind of an obsession/perfectionist thing that I have, I guess.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My favorite part about Robin would have to be being able to play as the amnesiac tactician himself. Even if he happened to be bottom tier, I would still main him. I just love his character.

As for least favorite part? Well, because I'm so attached to Robin, I actually get kind of jealous of when I see other people playing him, especially if they main him as well. It's kind of an obsession/perfectionist thing that I have, I guess.
This is so relatable.

Sometimes I play unpopular characters like Olimar or Dark Pit and get irritated when I see others maining them, even though it's a good thing.

(PS; I play Robin, as well)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
This is so relatable.

Sometimes I play unpopular characters like Olimar or Dark Pit and get irritated when I see others maining them, even though it's a good thing.

(PS; I play Robin, as well)
Strangely enough, whenever I'm at least acquainted with someone, the jealousy/rivalry thing I feel disappears. So you should be good. :p

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Favorite: Rock's a character I've always admired for representing unrelenting courage in the face of unwinnable odds. In a sense, I feel that carried over into Smash smoothly.
Least Favorite:
Capcom doesn't love him.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
My favorite part of Snake is cluttering the playingfield with traps and explosives. There's just a simple joy of hocking grenades at your foes and watching them have to tip-toe their way around to get to you.

My least favorite part is that he was excluded from Smash 4 for reasons that we my never truly know. Also, I miss the landmine Down Smash.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Favorites
  • Decent jab 1 neutral game.
  • Jab 1's hitbox size.
  • F-tilt tipper.
  • Strong f-smash.
  • Strong n-air.
  • Good u-air.
  • Strong b-air.
  • Good d-air.
  • Good combo game.
  • Z-air.
  • Potential shield breaking options.

Least Favorites
  • Average mobility.
  • Slow, poor CQC.
  • Jab 1's Sakurai angle.
  • Slow tilts.
  • U-smash's lack of auto-link angle.
  • F-smash's potential to still whiff.
  • People fall out of screw attack.
  • People can SDI out of f-air and u-air.

Last edited:

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
In Smash 4, I like Link's speed and hitting power. I think he's the best version of Link we've had so far, he's an easy main for me.

I rather dislike the popular idea that Link mains are bandwagon Link fans who play him because he's Link, and not because they're genuinely good with him. I'm sure it's true in the community to some extent, but he is actually my tried & tested best character.

For the record, I don't spam arrows, either. I think the arrow-spammers are the ones ruining our credibility.
I feel your pain. People see either of our characters and think we're gonna spam arrows or missles/charge shot. :/

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
oh i completely forgot one of my other favorite things about Samus. Her up tilt is god, and although her combos aren't the best on the ground because she's a ranged and defensive fighter, I absolutely love her aerials. It's just so great to have fast aerials that all have different purposes. Like you can do up air to do damage and lead into other combos, back air as a killing move, forward air to gimp someone, and down air for those sexy meteor smashes/spikes. (i still don't actually know the difference.) I have a whole album on my wii u of screenshots from FG where I spike someone. They're just my favorite thing to do and Samus has one of the best down airs to spike. Maybe not as good as like Ganondorf's, but it's certainly up there.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Favorite: Disjoints w/ range (and maybe speed for Link for once)!

Least favorite: No tether?

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
So I will talk about my top 2.

:ultfalco:, My favorite thing about him is his god-like combo's in the air. It's nice, being a "low tier" being able to completely drag people off of the screen to the blast zone. Least favorite? Run speed....please make him a little freaking faster! Just a tiny bit, and I am good!

:ultbowserjr:, My favorite thing? Mecha koopa. One of the best tools in the game. I love the stage control I get and also the air defense I can get just by dropping one out. Least favorite? Getting weak hit after up-B and just going free-fall with absolutely no chance to recovery :/

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Love your avatar and signature!

Anyways, as for my new main:

Cons:
  • Doesn't have a unique moveset
Pros:
  • Is in the game at all!
All right, but since I don't have enough to go on for Dark Samus, obviously, I'll do my current/previous main.

Pros:
  • One of the more unique characters on the roster
  • Is an awesome part of the Subspace Emissary
  • Gyros for days
  • LASERS
  • Really good recovery
  • Great up and forward air attacks
  • Good tilt moves
  • Heavy, but good speed and mobility
  • Powerful kill moves
  • Amazing up and down throws
Cons:
  • Powerful moves are really laggy
  • Powerful moves are also really short-ranged
  • Projectiles can be reflected
It's those first two cons that really hold him back. If those weren't the case, he'd be a top tier character. But perhaps it's for the best that he isn't, because I like how weird and unpopular he is. Makes him more special than if we saw him all the time. When you see a R.O.B. player, they aren't worried about tiers. They know what's up.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Favorite: Everything. Bowser is my favorite fictional character. I have no complaints.

Least Favorite: Except that I would prefer if he had his voice from the Mario games instead of making animal noises, but it's something that I can live with.

D

Deleted member

My favorite thing about Zelda is she gives me a challenge. Being constantly in disadvantage is stressful, but she really is a fun character, and when i win, i feel very accomplished. And besides, showing the smash community what a bottom tier can do makes it worth it :)

As far as what I don't like about her. I feel like she is very bland. Her alter ego, Sheik, has basically received all the love in this game. While Zelda is pretty much just trash. Its a shame, since Sheik really isnt even her own character. She is Zelda. Idk, just seems unfair that Zelda is still trash while Sheik is top tier...

portalmasterJ11

Smash Cadet
I main Shulk and I like his monado arts the most because I like how versatile they make shulk he can be a floaty, a heavy, a hard hitter, a speedy, or a balanced character at any time.

My least favorite thing is by far and away his aerial frame data

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
I hate haveing to wait through 30 minutes of getting combo-ed as Bowser.
But I love the foward smash

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox is one of my favourite fictional characters - I love his series and his personality.

In smash, I enjoy his incredible speed and high skill ceiling. I love the physics of fast falling characters and his incredible dash makes his mobility totally bonkers once you are proficient at moving around.

My least favourite thing? I guess he can feel a little discouraging because while he's very very competent competitively, he requires such finesse to play that screwing up once spells death. His combination of feather weight class and terrible disadvantage stage and easily gimpable recovery makes him a very unforgiving character.

chaostails7

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda a weird case - I've come to hate my main, Rosa (yeah, I know, along with anyone who has ever played Sm4sh), and can't wait to ditch her in Ultimate.

The worst part of her is never being able to rely on your attacks to have the same range because Luma is half a step behind where it should be.

Lunar landing is REALLY cool, though.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
:ultrob:

Gyro is my single favourite thing about ROB. He can use it in lots of different ways with loads of tricks and traps.

The worst part is his disadvantage. ROB is eaten alive more than nearly any other character in his disadvantage and it can sometimes be discouraging to take three or four times as much damage when you mess up as the opponent does when they mess up.

My least favourite thing? I guess he can feel a little discouraging because while he's very very competent competitively, he requires such finesse to play that screwing up once spells death. His combination of feather weight class and terrible disadvantage stage and easily gimpable recovery makes him a very unforgiving character.
We heavy mains invite you to play a few games in our shoes ;)

hposter

Smash Apprentice
:ultpacman:

my favorite thing about pac-man is that he can create really sticky situations for his opponents and he's just fun to play imo

my least favorite thing about him is his grab, no doubt

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
My favorite thing about Yoshi is, well, EVERYTHING!!! His design, his personality, his playstyle, his ***ing Yoshi noises, EVERYTHING!!!

My least favorite thing about Yoshi is that he doesn't seem to get the attention the other OG 8 get from Sakurai...
Pretty much this, but I would like to add that I would like it if he used some new voice clips for once considering he's been using the same ones since Smash 64 despite games like Mario Kart and 3D Mario platformers introducing new voice clips to pull from.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
We heavy mains invite you to play a few games in our shoes ;)
I second'd Bowser for some time and played him in tournaments. I'm no stranger to those disadvantages.

I would say the struggle is a little different - heavies struggle a lot with being combo food and their disadvantage, yes, but being a very light fast faller makes you combo food as well. Heavies have the problem of getting caught out in a bad position because of their large frames and overall poor mobility options so they get caught out more often. They do survive numerous of these encounters generally though, whereas featherweight fast fallers will often die screwing up badly once, they are just more capable of preventing that situation in the first place.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Ganoncides are the greatest thing to ever be in a video game. Other than that I like Ganon’s power. Of course the speed (or lack of) is a big weakness. But now finally he has his sword!

Descended Gaia

Smash Rookie
Palutena, Palutena, Palutena. I kinda don’t like her Final Smash. Just seems like two powers from the KI universe slapped together sloppily. I would prefer like a cutscene where the fighters he thrown onto Hedrew’s back and then completely castrated by her ‘Glam Buster’

I like her difficulties because it gives more of a challenge to learn how to play her. Her long durating tilts are fun to play with and just trolling people by warp ledge canceling around them is entertaining as well. Especially her fanservice taunt. So yeah, besides the Final Smash. I’m pretty good with her

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I'll do ones for my top 5.

:ultmarth:
Favourite: Getting that satisfying tipper F-smash.
Least favourite: Has little-to no grab game

:ultike:
Favourite: His aerials
Least favourite: Startup and ending lag on almost all of his attacks

:ultganondorf:
Favourite: Outplaying your opponent with his devastatingly powerful attacks
Least favourite: Easily punishable

:ultlink:
Favourite: Being able to rack up damage fast
Least favourite: Can be juggled easily

:ultlittlemac:
Favourite: His speedy Smash attacks
Least favourite: His recovery

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
Pac: super good at building up damage but I can never kill. Same with Puff. I always wonder if it's my own fault and I'm bad at killing.

TheFacelessOne

Smash Cadet
:ulttoonlink: Fun as hell zoner with a great projectile game.
My least favorite thing though is his arrows being overshadowed by everything else. If they made
them faster or did more shield damage they may find a way niche in his gameplan. The shield damage thing would probably help him as a slight
workaround to losing to shield(beyond grab, which is slow due to being a tether). I'd just like to have more of a use for them.

:ultness: His Grab game is fun as hell to use. His recovery is bad, but everyone who's seen a ness knows that.

:ultrosalina: Favorite thing is just Rosa. Least favorite thing is subjecting others to fighting Rosa.

:ultsimon: Favorite: He's in the game and looks like a fun zoner. Least Favourite: Games not out yet.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, my main in 4 was Little Mac.

My favorite part about him is how he's Ippo.

You can guess what my least favorite part about him was. He's garbage in the air in a game that pretty much requires you to be in the air most of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom