• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats wrong with Hanenbrow?

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
It's probably due to the fact that ROB doesn't get a stage yet there are three stages with no character representation.

It's okay, but I would have loved a ROB stage that used elements of Gyromite and Stack-Up.

Talendime

Smash Ace
It's probably due to the fact that ROB doesn't get a stage yet there are three stages with no character representation.

It's okay, but I would have loved a ROB stage that used elements of Gyromite and Stack-Up.
Well I wanted a stage that represented my back yard, including my swimming pool, and I didn't get that, did I?

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
Fake Twig Mindgames, Right into Fake Water mindgames. Also the leaves change directions i don't really like it i think its fine like to have fun and relax and mess around with people, but imo i don't think its very competetive map. I dont hate it. I think its fine. not bad or good.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
because there's no where to fight you're basically standing in the same position the whole time until someone kills your or knocks you into another platform.
and you cant swim in the water, so many times you die extremely early just from falling in the water.
its probably the second worst stage on the game

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Its that ******* water. The first SSB that you can swim in, except that ONE FREAKING STAGE that has to be different. Sakurai mindgames'd me so bad with Hanenbow.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
I would have easily dropped Hanenbow along with a few of the other stages in order to enhance the stage builder substantially.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
Its that ******* water. The first SSB that you can swim in, except that ONE FREAKING STAGE that has to be different. Sakurai mindgames'd me so bad with Hanenbow.
That makes it better. Swimming breaks stages for me, since water makes it MUCH harder to kill someone. You either have to spike them or blast them off the stage, and it takes much less effort to recover. XP

Oh, and the leaves don't move that much either. I like it.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
...wasn't it called Electroplankton?
That's what we assumed it to be called. Surprisingly, it ended up with an even more obscure name - from one of the hardest-to-find DS games. Another reason why I question its existence as a stage..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hanenbow does resemble the Flat Zone quite a bit. It also feels unique that it's the only stage without a "My Music" option.

~polygon

Smash Rookie
I like it a lot. It's a fun, fairly big stage with unobtrusive interactive elements. Dunno where all the hates comes from... I like it a lot for FFA.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
i really hate it. before you flame,im just stating my own opinion. whats the point of the leaves changing colors? i think its useless...

The color of the leaves determine the pitch of the sound they make when the leaves are hit by the electroplankton.
Cool, maybe. Useless, definitely. Of course, I haven't tried to play that stage like it is Electroplankton yet, so that may make it more fun, but I doubt it. The Wario Ware stage was a much better implementation of a game into a game, IMHO

Smash Ace
From a tournament standpoint? I don't see anything wrong with it, except perhaps that it is easy to be evasive, in my opinion. Until I know how easy and how evasive, I can't estimate as to whether this is going to be an issue.

I think that the negative reaction came from several areas:

*This stage is filled with mindgames, but if you play on it more than about 5 times and still try to swim or assume that twigs are solid, it's your own fault.

*Some poeple are still unhappy that one of their favourite characters would get a stage. This is terrible logic. There is no reason that every character should have a stage. In melee there wasn't a single Fire Emblem stage, and two pokemon stages for three characters, and no Dr Mario stage. It's not like ROB would have had a stage if it were out. Remember that Iwata Asks interview? Sakurai said that he thought stages were a good way to give a nod to franchises that didn't get a character.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Try using a character with a tether recovery. Yeah.

Also, there's no centralized platform for the fighting to take place. It's harder to implement a conventional fighting style when you can't even dash places. Of course, convention shouldn't be the only determining factor for a stage's merit, but screwing over characters with a tether recovery should carry a lot of weight.

Skywalker

Space Jump
i just really hate the art direction for it... nothing wrong with the stage design itself.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
Hanenbow screws over one tether character in Olimar, who has a field day with it otherwise.

If you're still trying to swim in the water after the first time you found out you couldn't then you are an idiot and should not play Smash.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
And Ivysaur. I guess ZSS has an alternate recovery, but her tether's still better.

Besides, the whole idea of the level is a bunch of disjointed pass-through platforms which can be grabbed. There's no central platform for the action to take place on. It's just not a level for competitive Smash. Hanenbow's not about the characters, it's about avoiding and adapting to the hazards that the stage represents. It's no longer about fighting; it's about dodging around the platforms. In any case, I don't like that it screws with even a few characters' only options for recovery.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you can't work out you can't swim in the water after the first time you die from below, or try to land on the "fake" stick, that's your own fault. Like claiming to be suprised when Pokemon Stadium transforms.

It's an 'odd' stage, yes, but there is nothing wrong with it. Almost all of the complaints about it are how it looks like. I've heard "the colours confuse me" "I don't like the leaves changing colour" "the water looks like it can be swum in" and "omg the fake stick" but barely anything about the stage itself, with the exception of teather recoveries.

ATTN PEOPLE WITH TETHER RECOVERIES! You can tether onto the pointy ends of the leaves. They aren't screwed over like everyone says they are.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hanenbow is from a game called Electroplankton. A music-based game, a hidden treasure.

I love the game that it comes from, but I can understand where people are coming from. R.O.B. should have had a stage, just like there should have been a Fire Emblem stage in Melee.

However, if the rumors are correct, then Nintendo may include a R.O.B. stage for this in a wi-fi update.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I hate it. There's nowhere to maneuver. Too easy to get stuck above someone with a decent up-smash, in particular, Lucas. And speaking of him, he can chase you all around the level with his PK Thunder and it's very hard to get into a position where you can attack him with all the leaves in the way.

Then there are guys like Link, who's recovery will hit the leaves several times, 'causing the leaves to rise up so that you can't land on them. WTF?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I personally like it. It's interesting but, I do admit, it is hard to fight in.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
However, if the rumors are correct, then Nintendo may include a R.O.B. stage for this in a wi-fi update.
Sakurai has said no downloadable content.

I hate it. There's nowhere to maneuver.
But, one of the critisisms is that it's too easy to manuver.[/quote]

Too easy to get stuck above someone with a decent up-smash, in particular, Lucas.
Welcome to any stage with platforms. Nerf battlefield?

And speaking of him, he can chase you all around the level with his PK Thunder and it's very hard to get into a position where you can attack him with all the leaves in the way.
Air dodge the thunder and then while he's still stuck in pk thunder mode, get him.

Then there are guys like Link, who's recovery will hit the leaves several times, 'causing the leaves to rise up so that you can't land on them. WTF?
If he can get high enough, he'll grab it, otherwise, tether recovering would be the better option.

DroxSorcerer

Smash Cadet
It's just really annoying to play there. Not to mention that, even though you can control your character, you will never get out of the water once you get in it.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
"Annoying to play there" is the same thing as "I don't like it" which is the same thing as "disregarded complaint".

You have to say why it's bad, not just say "it's bad'.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Look, if you're going to attempt to refute every argument, refute ALL of them, or address a specific one. No one's really responded to my comment about how the stage takes away from the concept of a 1v1 match between characters and turns it into a 'who can jump around on the stage and get off random hits best' competition. No central platform for the action to take place on severely limits the ability of players to exhibit their skill in a competitive environment.

Geist

Smash Master
the stage takes away from the concept of a 1v1 match between characters and turns it into a 'who can jump around on the stage and get off random hits best' competition. No central platform for the action to take place on severely limits the ability of players to exhibit their skill in a competitive environment.

If both players are willing to play competitively in the stage, then getting random hits shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't like this stage at all, but I see no prolonging problems with any feature in it that qualifies the stage for a ban. It's more or less nit-picking because of a biased dislike for the stage. The stage may limit certain players' abilities to play well, but it does not prevent them.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Too easy to get stuck above someone with a decent up-smash, in particular, Lucas.

"Welcome to any stage with platforms. Nerf battlefield?"

Except Battlefield has a central stage to dodge on, Hanenbow basically embodies a pure platform stage. If your opponent is under you, the platforms are too small that you simply can't do anything but (1) drop right on top of them -- you're a sitting duck (2) run away to the other part of the stage, likely causing a stalemate since whichever player goes on the offensive is at a disadvantage due to the set-up of the stage.

Top Bottom