• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point anymore?

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=4123]What's the point anymore?[/drupal]

So, I had a blog awhile ago about my story with depression, but i'm just wondering now... What's the point of continuing? People say the best times of your life is your childhood, and teenage years. Well, My childhood sucked, and Teenage years aren't any better. I'm always told it goes all downhill after highschool. Starting with taxes, jobs, etc. So, if i'm unhappy now, in the so called, "best times of my life", then why should I suffer when i'm older?

finalark

SNORLAX
It's called life. Everyone goes through **** because the world will treat you like ****. Get over yourself and stop being an emo *****. My childhood wasn't exactly perfect, I got kicked around and beat up because I sucked at sports. I had no friends but I got over myself and learned to stop acting like everyone's ***** and grew some balls. My first year of High School I lost the dog I had my entire life and my mother walked out on my father and I so she could be with another man. But I got over it and endured.

Everyone goes through ****, stop being a ***** and grow up. You're life is probably nowhere near as bad as you think it is.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think making him feel bad for his viewpoint is going to help.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Honestly I've enjoyed my twenties more than just about anything. I look back on my highschool years with a certain fondness, but mostly because of the friends that I made who have stuck with me. I much prefer the independence, freedom, and self sufficiency of my twenties though.

I turn 25 next month, woot? /old

Everyone is unhappy at various stages in their lives, there's not really a formula for when times get better or worse, it just depends on the events and experiences of a given period of your life. All of these instances are ever-changing, you just have to keep going and learning new things as you go; that's the game of life :)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Maybe people should give him specific advice, instead of the generic "you've just to accept it and keep going".

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
That would require specific information from him, which he chose not to give, which is fine.

Maybe you should give advice and not just critique what everyone else says.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
To anyone who thinks that clinical depression is the same as "being emo," it isn't. So let's not go there, all right?

So, I had a blog awhile ago about my story with depression, but i'm just wondering now... What's the point of continuing? People say the best times of your life is your childhood, and teenage years. Well, My childhood sucked, and Teenage years aren't any better. I'm always told it goes all downhill after highschool. Starting with taxes, jobs, etc. So, if i'm unhappy now, in the so called, "best times of my life", then why should I suffer when i'm older?
I think you'll have to find your own reason for living rather than relying on what other people define as happiness. The more you interact with people, I think the more you'll find that a lot of people talk just to vent their frustrations. "Childhood is the best time of your life" is a generic line of popular wisdom that people like to say because they've heard other people say it. There isn't too much substance or insight to it. Overanalyzing it is like scrutinizing some generically witty one-liner from a TV show.

Life always comes with its share of pain, and some have it worse than others. But sometimes it's the pain that helps people define happiness. A woman in Japan who just barely survived the tsunami with her entire family intact told a reporter that she now knows what life is worth.

Your reason for life is probably going to be specific for you. And my only real advice is to find it on your own, starting with something simple. If you find yourself running down a thought process that makes you depressed, try to pull back and away from that and do something else for a while, focus on some small practical problem that needs fixing. If that doesn't work and these thoughts get worse, you might need professsional help.

You sound like you already know what depression is, so I'll spare you the details. It's mainly up to you to help yourself, even if that means getting someone else to help you. Life is always going to be a work in progress. Imo, it's worth the effort, if for no other reason than the fact that death is inevitable. So we might as well take our best shot.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman

I suffer from depression and anxiety as well. I've tried a bunch of meds, therapy and all that stuff. It's hard, but sometimes good things happen and when happy moments or exciting opportunities come along, enjoy them as much as you can. I wish I had some better advice or something, but it's a really confusing subject sometimes.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
finalark... Not at all what I want to hear right now.

@Dre. , MTKO, and El Nino, Thankyou.

But let's just say my childhood is the best it will ever be, I don't want to suffer through a tons more to find that out.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
Childhood isn't necessarily the best part of your life. I spent mine going in and out of hospitals, and have been in a lot of pain for years. I have dealt with depression, and for a while it looked like things would never get better. Even my first two years of college were horrible; I was in constant pain. As a result of illness and depression, I had a great deal of difficulty in everything I tried. I won't go through the details of my situation; it's sufficient to say that my childhood sucked.

Through all of this, I gave my life a lot of thought, and often wondered whether being alive was worth all the suffering that comes with it. I have come to believe that pain and sorrow are an indispensable part of the human existence, and that everyone experiences them in one form or another. Without sorrow, we cannot know joy when we experience it; life would be unbearably monotonous if that weren't the case. It is through the trials we endure that we come to enjoy things that we previously took for granted. One cannot truly enjoy something unless they know what it is like to live without it. Life is composed of both joy and sorrow; I believe that the key is to make an effort to see the good in things wherever you can.

I can honestly say that this year may be the best of my life thus far. I am still in pain, school is still tough, and I still have a lot of other stuff going on. However, I'm putting up a really good fight, and things are finally getting better one step at a time. I fight through all of my problems so that I can create a future worth living in; I believe that this alone is adequate justification for continuing to live. There will always be people who have it worse than you do; if they can find the strength to fight, then so can you. There is good in the world. If you can't find it, then look harder. If it isn't given to you, make it yours.

Anyway, I'm not used to this kind of situation, but I hope my own experience helps ^_^ Hang in there.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

The best times of my life are happening right now. I am 26 and I didn't have the best childhood in terms of friends and school and stuff, but during and after college I grew up and started liking myself. I realized my worth and was much better for it.

Do something you can be proud of. Take up a hobby or try and learn a new skill. It may sound weird, but it really does help to do stuff like that. I literally got over some serious life drama freshman and sophomore year of college by learning to juggle and learning to solve a rubik's cube. I can't explain why it helped but it definitely did.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Do something you can be proud of. Take up a hobby or try and learn a new skill. It may sound weird, but it really does help to do stuff like that. I literally got over some serious life drama freshman and sophomore year of college by learning to juggle and learning to solve a rubik's cube. I can't explain why it helped but it definitely did.
This. You don't even have to be proud of it; I would just say find something to call your own. If you are always setting out to do what others tell you to do, then that can and will lead to depression/keep you in depression. Even if you're stuck doing something else tells you to do, you can make it your own by going above and beyond what is expected. Some things I'd suggest are learning html and javascript, and then making your own website. That can allow you to express yourself, too.

Find a sport, join a band, or maybe even find some other smashers to hang out with. If you spend time with other people, you will generally feel happier. And if you do one of the former two, then you're forced to spend time with others, and chances are that you'll make friends.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
stop being a *****

I hope all the nice advice you're getting from this thread makes you feel better, but words typed over to you on a forum isn't going to change your view on life. When you decide to stop *****ing, man up, and figure out what you want to do in life, things will look a lot better.

just6586

Smash Rookie
You'll never know how it could have gone if you never try in the first place. Believe me, I went through my suicidal phase. When you're holding a knife to your throat, you finally realize just what a big thing killing yourself would be. I finally realized that all I was doing was dragging my family through the mud and destroying any chance I would have at redemption. Take it from an almost twenty-five year old man-child, it's better to just move on and try your best at life ;).

Jakandsig

Smash Apprentice
stop being a *****

I hope all the nice advice you're getting from this thread makes you feel better, but words typed over to you on a forum isn't going to change your view on life. When you decide to stop *****ing, man up, and figure out what you want to do in life, things will look a lot better.
You guys seem to be helping him get deeper into depression. Glad to see you guys help out. (Not.)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Suffering is good because it makes the good times feel more sweet.

That's really all you need to know.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=4123]So, I had a blog awhile ago about my story with depression, but i'm just wondering now... What's the point of continuing? People say the best times of your life is your childhood, and teenage years. Well, My childhood sucked, and Teenage years aren't any better. I'm always told it goes all downhill after highschool. Starting with taxes, jobs, etc. So, if i'm unhappy now, in the so called, "best times of my life", then why should I suffer when i'm older?
Only people who had no life after high school whatsoever say that. There IS life after high school.

ook

Smash Lord
Yes, childhood/teenage years don't HAVE to be the best times of your life. You can make whatever time you want the best time of your life.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well to me, it's a learning process. I trained myself to enjoy the present moments whether it's eating, typing on the keyboard right now, looking at the screen... eventually it might become simply breathing. There's a lot of things going on that we simply do unconsciously.. bringing the unconscious into conscious actions can bring it's pleasures.. To me this will all take a lifetime of practice but through all that I'll always be happy. A lot of people mention my smile.. and this is why. =P

The way the society teaches you how to build your life is strange to me, it doesn't make much sense.. will having a family/having a home + car make you happy? You know always wanting more all the time? It definitely can, I'm not the judge of that but for me it doesn't, I'm more of a simple guy who can enjoy the little things. That's about what I have to say to that. =)

You have to find yourself the things which makes your heart burn. NOW OR NEVER since life goes on all the time.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Man, there's no real thing as the happiest time of your life. It's the little things that make you smile that keep you going. I'm sure you have a time you can look back on, maybe a few minutes, a few hours, or an entire day, that just makes you think "Man, that was a good day.". Just hold onto things like that and realize life is tough, things get better and they get worse. There's no certain downhill, or uphill from any point. It's give and take, and it fluctuates...life that is. So, y'know, just make some friends and make some memories man. The past year of my life has been hit and miss...but I wouldn't say it sucked. I have a lot of good memories from it all. And I'll look back on them when I'm older and weigh the good with the bad.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
stop being a *****

And you are one of the people that drive me over the edge. Ignorant, spoiled, and self centered. Maybe learn a bit about depression before you talk like that.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
The average person in the developed world lives to around 75-80, meaning only about a fifth of your life has elapsed.

So imagine all the happy things that have happened to you so far, then quadruple that. That's what you have to look forward to in the future. :)

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
The average person in the developed world lives to around 75-80, meaning only about a fifth of your life has elapsed.

So imagine all the happy things that have happened to you so far, then quadruple that. That's what you have to look forward to in the future. :)
True, but that also means all of the bad things x4. :/

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
this is totally an appropriate topic for a video game forum...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
okay?
you're asking for real life advice from a bunch of people on the internet you've never met and really don't care because ... herp derp, they've never met you. and then you act annoyed when people point out the obvious?
talk to your friends or parents or counselors about this.
everyone struggles with hardships in their life, the difference is not everyone brings it up on a "blogging forum".

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Uncommon, perhaps. But I still want input. So why not post here and talk with others who might possible feel the same way? It's still a community im talking with, a community that I love and take place in.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
okay?
you're asking for real life advice from a bunch of people on the internet you've never met and really don't care because ... herp derp, they've never met you. and then you act annoyed when people point out the obvious?
talk to your friends or parents or counselors about this.
everyone struggles with hardships in their life, the difference is not everyone brings it up on a "blogging forum".
So what? Everyone can have an opinion in which it can nail the spot pretty hard.. some opinions can either help or not do so good. However, the level of truth spoken by everyone can at least be heard here since I mean we are all nice smashers after all, yes?

§witch

Smash Lord
And you are one of the people that drive me over the edge. Ignorant, spoiled, and self centered. Maybe learn a bit about depression before you talk like that.
I don't know how you got spoiled or self-centered from that. If your depression is that severe just go check yourself into an institution or pick up drinking.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't think his body is godly enough to handle any dose of Charlie Sheen.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
childhood shouldn't be the best part of you're life. Anyone who says it is is either a complete loser or was overly spoiled and privliged.

Teen years are for you to discover yourself...sometimes a painful process, true, but it all leads to the day you stop being a kid and live on you're own. Depression and Anxiety are roadblocks, but treatment and proper medication usually helps with such disorders.
Think about it like this: as an adult (especially 20's, you can do whatever you want, no parents to tell you what to do, hardly any restrictions (besides laws), no curfew, your own money...then when you mature enough you settle down with a partner and raise a family (adoption or otherwise), and get to see you're children experience life.

Adulthood is when you already found yourself, and you get to do ****

Divinokage

Smash Legend
There is no best part of your life.. it's either you enjoy it now or you don't.. simple as that. At anytime during your life childhood, teenager... adult.. it makes no difference. It's all a matter of understanding the subtleties of life. As a child maybe you didn't understand it but man things were more colorful everywhere that much I remember.. even if it was a hard childhood. To me my childhood made my realize my dreams and it was awesome. Finding that colorfulness in life takes A LOT of practice.

soju

SD God
Go and populate the world with as many NiTEWiNG babies as you can, then teach em all to be awesome so my kids will someday be around awesome people :D and I say that to everyone!

That is my advice :3

Top Bottom