• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the Creepiest Thing in Smash Bros?

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering sense on my YouTube channel, GothicSlenderman, mainly focuses in horror and I've been playing Smash 4 a lot sense Cloud came out. What do you think is the creepiest thing in the Super Smash Bros? I'm also planning to make a...

Top 10 Creepiest Things from Super Smash Bros.

It could be any from a character, stage, item, boss, moment, trailer, ect.
Don't be afraid to share sense what's scary to me might not be scary to you and vise versu. Horror can be really subjected when it comes to that.

For me; I'm going to have to say those purple particles in the Subspace Emissary. They bring the primids outside of Subspace, replicate other characters or downright possess them & become huge abominations.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gomorrah chewing so violently is kind of disturbing.

Cool though.

And Smash has some Fatal Frame trophies. While The trophies aren't too scary, the series totally is.

Maybe talk about the strange positions certain character's spines go into? :4falcon::4zss: Are both famous for it.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm in the absolute minority by saying this, but for whatever reason there's just something off about Rosalina's animations that put her right into the uncanny valley for me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The fact that Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario can eat Assist Trophies is in itself really creepy if you let the implications sink in.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Probably the creepiest thing in Smash Bros for me would have to be the final phase of the Master Core battle where it turns into the very core. I remember being curious about what happens when you don't KO the Core in time since it just stands to let you pummel it, and before long, a Youtube video showed what happened. I remember getting quite frightened with the faded screech sound playing before the Core suddenly rose and delivered the shock blasts. The moment the first shock blast struck and delivered the OHKO, I got pretty frightened (and I'm talking jump scare frightening).

Now that I know about it, I always frantically deliver as much damage as possible to the Core to avoid that scenario (unless I finished with 2 stocks) as simply hearing that faded screech before the final attack is enough to scare me about what's coming next.

There's also that Game Theory episode that talked about the possible truth regarding Master Hand/Master Core, and I remember the symbolic meaning of that last phase of the Master Core as explained in the video sounded rather creepy to listen to.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Ornes. I swear to Jesus my heart stops every time I see an Orne. I used to be afraid of Shaydas too. Even now they unnerve me.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
That monster thing in the background of Brawl's Frigate Orpheon stage makes me jump every now and then.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Don't forget Luigi's Mansion and its Brawl remix.

Twisted and creepy.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
The GAME OVER screen. That one scared the s*** outta me when I first saw it. All the Smash games have scary GAME OVER screens. Except Smash 4's. That one was kinda sad. Master Core's kinda creepy too.

Dan

Smash Lord
It seems like the Smash Bros. games have become less and less creepy as they have moved on. I remember the music after you beat Master Hand in 64 being quite creepy, or ominous.

Erureido just mentioned it, and I don't really think it's too creepy of a video, but it is a must watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2OPd25FOw

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The main menu music in Smash 64 felt quite unsettling sometimes when I was little for some reason.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The fact that Tabuu represents the opposite of what Master and Crazy Hand do: whereas the Hands represent the creative / destructive duality inherent within the mind of a child, Tabuu represents the death of that child's innocence and the maturation into a cynical adult, devoid of the love for the joys of youth that encouraged them to create and destroy their own fictional worlds. Tabuu is what happens when the child who plays with Mario and Link dolls grows up to become a slave to the very industry that they once loved so deeply, and it is only when he is defeated and his curse banished that the inner child reawakens and reclaims control of the fantastic world of trophies. It's an ironic satire of video game developers that have become jaded and lost their passion for the video games they create, and it may well have been a case of Sakurai venting the frustrations of his job at the time. Catharsis embodied in the ultimate evil itself: the evil of apathy, and the death of creativity that Sakurai so emphatically rejected in deciding to fly into the endless sky of Sora.

Or maybe he's just a big scary spookity and I'm abusing my degree in English. Your call~

Dan

Smash Lord
The main menu music in Smash 64 felt quite unsettling sometimes when I was little for some reason.
Something about that whole game, like when you're just surfing the character bios and stuff; it was weird for a young kid. Almost a feeling of emptiness within that game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Something about that whole game, like when you're just surfing the character bios and stuff; it was weird for a young kid. Almost a feeling of emptiness within that game.
Yeah a few songs in the original Smash Bros gave out an unsettling and empty feeling compared to its sequels for some reason. Not quite sure what kind of atmosphere Sakurai was trying to go with for that game.

Although I suppose that may help to give the game its own charm I guess. ^^

Dan

Smash Lord
I wonder how much of the stuff in Smash Bros. actually has some kind of symbolic or hidden meaning behind it. I was watching that MatPat video again, and it is so interesting.

Yeah a few songs in the original Smash Bros gave out an unsettling and empty feeling compared to its sequels for some reason. Not quite sure what kind of atmosphere Sakurai was trying to go with for that game.

Although I suppose that may help to give the game its own charm I guess. ^^
This is so interesting; even people on YouTube are talking about how the unlock/reward music in 64 was scary to them. Idk man; they just achieved something really odd with some aspects of that game. The "Rare Trophy" music from Melee is also kind of weird as well.

The most interesting things to me are the things that aren't meant to be scary, but are, or that are scary for inexplicable reasons. For instance, it's not Smash-related, but the PS2 red screen of death. It's totally an Angry Video Game Nerd "What were they thinking?!"-type thing. Probably developers get bored and say, "What's something we can hide in there to scare the piss out of little kids?". That is one of my top, if not the scariest video game-related thing ever. That **** always happened at night too. The GameCube menu was weird too, but this PlayStation thing is from the depths of hell. What was with companies during that era making their menus scary as ****?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Have you ever accidentally freed a Clubberskull? Jesus. The demonic skull wasn't enough? There had to be a bigger monster inside the ****ing skull? Never mind how much logic is just broken by that, but did it also have to be the strongest enemy in Smash Run? It's still not worse than Ornes, though.

Also, the music that plays in the Great Maze's save rooms. After a while, that **** starts to unnerve you. Same with the Step: Subspace themes. To have such an uplifting and grand song be turned into such dark and bleak pieces... *shudder* Granted, it's musical genius, but still...

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The most interesting things to me are the things that aren't meant to be scary, but are, or that are scary for inexplicable reasons. For instance, it's not Smash-related, but the PS2 red screen of death. It's totally an Angry Video Game Nerd "What were they thinking?!"-type thing. Probably developers get bored and say, "What's something we can hide in there to scare the piss out of little kids?". That is one of my top, if not the scariest video game-related thing ever. That **** always happened at night too. The GameCube menu was weird too, but this PlayStation thing is from the depths of hell. What was with companies during that era making their menus scary as ****?
When I was a kid, I always thought that screen was an intimidation technique for people who tried to play PC or Xbox games on the PS2.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
-Master Core bursting and erupting out of Master Hand... Good god... *shudders*
-EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER being vaporised by the light beams (except for Kirby)
-Puppet Mario's glowing eyes
-Same thing with all characters above
-The Mysterious dimension in Dark Realm.
-Dharkon ending
-Dedede's Star KO
-Popularity tag
-Inappropriate stages

Last edited:

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
1=The gamer stage
2=Master Core
3=The Dark Realm
4=World of Light bad endings
5=Ridley's tear apart victory dance
6=The Nightmare Assist trophy
7=The Moon Assist Trophy
8=Yuri Kozukata
9=Dharkon
10=Crazy Hand

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
All above are good, but the creepiest moment in all Smash Bros. history was selecting the popularity tag in the videos section of the online shared content in Ultimate. Filled of long videos of female characters on the floor, slowly breathing as the camera exposes their bodies. Completely disturbing.

Top Bottom