• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the closest you've been to thinking your favourite characters were in Smash?

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
For instance, for Rayman fans, it would likely be when the ArtsyOmni leak came out.

Personally, I thought Layton was in when his VA tweeted about having some weird extra lines in his last recording session, but I think that was revealed to be a joke.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
When Phil Spencer went on record and said Banjo & Kazooie could be in Smash no problem. I was "Yes! he's totally coming now" though I guess in hindsight I was a little overeager.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The amazing time before Pokemon Trainer was cut....

was incredible.
I do wish everyone could have that feeling of seeing their favorite character announce.

...But I also wish others didnt have such terrible character ideations :035:

Oh, you know, when my favorite Pokemon was in Smash

And then when that traitor Charizard rolled up by himself? Shattered my dreams, that day. I couldn't even be properly excited for Greninja. :'(
You understand my pain

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
A good few of my favorites ended up making it in Brawl.:metaknight: being the first newcomer reveal in the Brawl trailer made me ecstatic, followed by the :diddy: and :dedede: updates and finally:toonlink: showing up as a secret character (and then after seeing his moveset, he instantly lost his spot on my list of favorite characters.) The only one that didn't make it was :4villager:, and after they showed off Smashville, I thought he'd be confirmed at any time. But it never happened, and I was a little disappointed. Of course, lucky me, he ends up also being the first newcomer reveal for Smash 4.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
When the beginning of the Byleth trailer dropped and gave us that sunset forest background, my immediate first thought was that it was Mt. Wildwood, an iconic location in the Yo-Kai Watch games.

You can imagine my disappointment after that. Besides Jibanyan and Waluigi, I got what I wanted with the King K. Rool trailer, so I'm not unhappy.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I was fairly confident about Skull Kid until the very end. The Moon assist trophy was revealed but not him, Young Link's final smash was still unseen, Majora's Mask 3D was relatively recent... and he was not shown in the Direct, so for a moment I thought he still had a shot for the DLC...

I got Banjo and King K. Rool, though.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oh my god, I was dangerously close to having Shadow in Smash.
First was the announcement of the game. Came right off the heels of Forces and Mania, two very successful recent Sonic games-the most recent of which had three Shadow specific levels and gave him his own campaign. So I thought 'hey, that would be cool if he got in.'
And Sonic returned, so I felt very optimistic.
Then came the announcement of a new echo fighter-since it was battlefield I thought that could make sense for Shadow, since he wouldn't make sense to be revealed on Green Hill or Windy Hill.
Then Daisy. But that's okay. Daisy is my Mario Kart main so it's nice to have her in Smash.
Then Waluigi, my second most wanted, got deconfirmed. Nearly brought me to tears, honest. But I recovered before the presentation ended thanks to Ridley, and Shadow's AT not being revealed.
Then came the Rool direct. The whole "two new echo fighters!" thing completely caught me off guard. But nah, just Chrom and Dark Samus.
Soon after, Knuckles The Assist Trophy. I was flipping out, dude! If they're adding Knuckles that means they're replacing Shadow, he's a lock!
Then, the Grinch leak. It looked so real. It looked...too real. But I was getting ahead of myself. Shadow above Sonic, hovering with the Emerald's power? Of course that would be his pose! The other characters sounded plausible as well!
KEN! Oh my god, it all lines up! Echo fighters! Forces' success! Knuckles being the Sonic series Assist Trophy! The Grinch leak was right all along, because now Ken is in! Wait, glowing eyes in a dark room? That might be Mach Rider-dunno who he is but he's a part of the Grinch leak!
That's when a boring-*** bipedal fire starter and a ****ING PLANT took my dreams and flushed them down the toilet. We got Shadow as the second Sonic series Assist Trophy.
Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I have literally never come even close to considering Muddy Mole might actually happen.

I've had multiple dreams about Waluigi in Smash, and I've been convinced by theories a few times, specifically the anniversary theory.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I've only wanted three characters for Ultimate (the three in my signature):
  • Steve, well, already got in. :ultsteve:
  • Octoling's best chances were definitely in Ultimate's base roster, since Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion was still new and they were a perfect fit for an Echo Fighter (and there was a Smash Ultimate Direct on 8/8, a neat coincidence). I wasn't an Octoling supporter until April 2019, though, so the closest I personally got to seeing them in Smash was probably hoping they'd be added to promote the Final Fest. Nowadays, I think their best chance is if Echo Fighter DLC is made, which part of me would still object to since paying extra for clones of characters included in the base game seems wrong to me.
  • Heavy has never had many chances due to Valve's lack of relationships with Nintendo, and I've known that ever since I started supporting him. The only way I think he could possibly get in is if The Orange Box gets ported to Switch, perhaps with Half-Life, its expansions and Portal 2 thrown in as well. The closest I got to seeing him in was probably seeing how many people on the Internet also supported him, which could be said about any character and is a sign I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel for reasons he might realistically get in. I just enjoy Smash and TF2, nothing more.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I used to be a pretty big supporter of Impa in Smash. When I saw Simon and Richer’s reveal trailer (I didn’t know about the leak at the time) with Luigi in the castle, I saw the mummy and assumed it was the shadow temple which made me get excited.

I’m actually more glad Simon and Richter got in, though. I 100% would have supported Simon more than Richter if I had played Castlevania before they got in.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
A few of my most wanted (Inkling, King K.Rool, Incineroar and Steve) managed to get in.

I was a bit certain that Lugia would be in Ultimate, since they included Ridley, a fighter was size issues. With Ridley in, I assumed that Lugia has a higher chance of being playable. (There is still hope for the second Fighter’s pass and if not then the next game).

I also assumed that Shadow and Dark Bowser would be in Ultimate, as with Fawful and Bandanna Dee. I also thought that Adeleine would be in the first fighter’s pass. I’m still hoping for Adeleine for the second fighter’s pass.

Then again, who knows who will join the fight next, so there is still a chance for many characters to get into Smash.

D

Deleted member

Shadow: Anything before November 1st, 2018. Knuckles being an AT. Shadow being absent as an AT. Grinch Leak didn't help things much, either. This is the one I'm the most upset about to this day - at the very least he could have had an echo. You give it to Ken and Richter, but not Shadow, the most iconic "clone" character?? Always struck me as odd. Complete missed opportunity.

PMD Grovyle/Sceptile/Grass-Type Pokemon: Smash 4, for sure. This one hurts. So, we got Greninja as a water type, and Charizard on it's own as a fire type. We just needed one more to fill out the fire-water-grass trio. During the Smash ballot days, people rallied behind Sceptile - ORAS was brand new at the time, and the most popular grass type at the time was Sceptile. It got a prominent role in the XY anime as Sawyer's ace, akin to Ash's Greninja. It got a mega evolution. It was this close and... nothing. We didn't get any new Pokemon during the ballot days.

Then for me, this changed over to Decidueye, and now Rillaboom. I like grass types, and Ivysaur doesn't cut it for me. I'd happily trade Incineroar for Sceptile any day. Don't really know why anyone is clamboring for yet another fire starter (Cinderace) when we sorely need a grass type. That's the one pick that would upset me the most, I'm completely fine with any other rep except from Cinderace.

As for PMD Grovyle, I loved him from those games, and it'd be nice to see PMD get representation - the bonus episode in Explorers of Sky made me tear up. Great story-telling there. Primal Dialga's theme was robbed. No idea why that song isn't in Smash yet. Either way, the Treecko line is one of my favourite starter lines, and it's sad to see them just.. not there. Their highest chances was with Smash 4 and ORAS, but it just didn't happen. Shame.

Geno: Unironically him surviving seven Mii Costume waves in a row, when realistically he would come back with Hero. Just the fact that Geno's Mii costume didn't come back with Hero is enough for me to think "He has a shot this time, I know it". It's odd that his Mii costume's still missing, along with Chocobo's. It's easy money for Square, why not add them for Hero's pass?

Rayman: Artsy Omni. But we got suckered there. I didn't believe the "Rayman is under the ice" stuff, always struck me as silly. I'm not sure why he's not in already.

Dixie: Echoes being announced. I really do not want to see Dixie as an echo, she deserves much more than that. She is more than a "Wig Diddy". But if that's what it takes to get her, then whatever, I'll accept that.

Shantae: The Smash ballot. Especially when WayForward was really vocal about her, especially her color alts. I remember them showing those off.

Master Chief: Everything prior to Steve being revealed. Things were looking up for the Chief, I and several others knew Microsoft wouldn't single-dip - they want more in Smash. That turned out to be true with Steve, although there was a lot of evidence pointing towards the Chief instead.

Neku: Smash ballot again. After Cloud, Square Enix being represented was finally a possibility. Neku's game was a cult-classic on the DS, it was one of the games you bought a DS for, it was that good. TWEWY was mostly on the sidelines, akin to Chrono Trigger or SMRPG for a good while, until about 2012. It got a sudden revival. From there, it got a release on Android/iOS in the form of Solo Remix, it got prominent appearances in Dream Drop Distance, and then it also made appearances/references in Kingdom Hearts 3.. and then the Switch version of TWEWY came out - more content after the ending. New visuals.

From all this, I'm pretty sure you could tell Neku had high hopes this time around. When I voted for him on the Smash Ballot, his DS game was all he had - just a niche, but cult-classic of a game. Now look at what he has now.

Edit - IMPA! Forgot about her. I loved HW and I thought that game had the best designs yet - especially Impa, who's always looked off in some way. And she was another Zelda character. And she played so differently in comparion to say Sheik. So I rallied behind her too. She didn't happen, but it's funny how we still got a two-hander in the form of Cloud - seeing as Impa's one in HW.

I'm happy to see her get a revival in speculation because of AoC. She looks great, but it definitely feels like history is repeating for me. I desperately want HW to get representation in Smash. I wanted HW Impa. I wanted Linkle, I love her design too - she has dual crossbows, how cool is that. I wanted her playable in the mainline Zelda games. I wanted HW skins for all of the triforce trio. It may be a spin-off, but it's still one of my favourites in the Zelda franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Since someone mentioned Dixie, I actually really got close to thinking she'll get in once: when they revealed Ultimate and Diddy's highlight reel showed his tail tickle attack removed. Since Dixie has no tail I assumed they removed the move so she can be a Daisy-esque lazy echo.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
When Shinobi literally came out and hinted at Banjo & Kazooie like a week before E3 "I haven't seen Banjo in anything in awhile. Looks like it's going to be a Smashing good time!"

toonito

Smash Ace
i try not to get swept up in coincidences but I admit I got caught up in the Dante hype for Challenger Pack 5.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
August 2007, Diddy Kong was revealed to be a playable character in Brawl. I was literally screaming of joy, waking up my younger siblings as I checked the Brawl Dojo website. I just turned 17, a week or 2 before that. I remember it well.

After that, I was extremely joyful for Mewtwo's return in Smash 4 as the first DLC character, and of course King K.Rool's glorious reveal in Ultimate, which I frankly didn't even see for myself, I had to check it afterwards! A friend messaged me about it, assuming I already knew but I didn't.

Outside of that, I was never all that close to having my most wanted in. My most wanted characters right now, are Dixie Kong, who was most often assumed to be in in Smash 4 due to Tropical Freeze being so recent, and also when Isabelle was confirmed for Ultimate we thought she was very likely... Then there's Impa, who could've made an easy Echo both in Smash 4, and Ultimate, but also would've made sense on the base roster as a unique character based on Hyrule Warriors. I still think she has a decent shot for being one of the DLC characters honestly.

Then there's Isaac, who was just downright shot down during the Assist Trophy reveals, with the Golden Sun music playing even. Before that we thought we where teased with Isaac's inclusion with the infamous Rathalos tweet of Sakurai. And the one leak that features Isaac, Skull Kid, Mach Rider, Shadow and Banjo.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
You know how before fighters were announced during normal Directs, there's that awkward silence the guy on the screen would make and then tell you there's a special announcement before they go? As someone who wants to see a pure blooded indie character playable in Smash, I flipped last year IIRC when the guy running the Nindie Direct did that exact same thing and how quickly hopes were dashed when it was just hype being built for Into The Breach.

Top Bottom