• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

whats the best way to make some noise for sakurai to take notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Would twitter be the best way? Or youtube? Forums? Other? I know he pays attention to fans to some extent, so it would be cool to get ideas noticed if possible.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Don't bother the man. He already has enough people on his back. You should thank him for his hard work and leave it at that.

D

Deleted member

What good would it do to try to reach out to him anyway? The game's very near completion. Sure there's a strong possibility of DLC but game companies don't take lists of ideas from one single fan for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
The message has already been received. The smash ballot has been proved to be the main motivator for smash ultimate. I would love to see Meta Crystal, Planet Zebes, and the ole Star Fox stage return, along with an N64 Paper Mario stage but I doubt I am getting my wish at this point.... I wouldn't hold your breath whatever it is.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Speculating and gathering information on your favourite character is more fun then demanding Sakurai to leave the franchise

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Community.

Whatever you want, you'll need a large fanbase nurtured across all social media. This also requires a large amount of quality content like art, renders, animations, mods, etc for people to "get behind" your idea.
As ridley shows, it's never too early to start rallying, and as Chrom shows it's never too late.

However, it's good to keep in mind, anything you do won't have any affect on Smash Ultimate specifically, and seeing as you're not from Japan, it's even less likely you'll breach Sakurai's mindspace.

Even so:

Also, if you're the project gdorf guy, mad props to you.

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
If we take a look at a recent translation by Source Gaming, we can see that Masahiro Sakurai is swamped with social media posts from fans already.

1.jpg 2.jpg

As somebody who has worked in the video game industry since 2014, I can say with 99% certainty that all content on release has already been established. Any new additions are wholly unlikely and there's no guarantee of DLC, especially with how much effort has already gone into the game already. Sakurai is focused solely on the game right now, and unless there is some huge outcry in regards to something game breaking, I cannot imagine any way in which Sakurai will take a look at something right now. This is especially true as he is among the hardest working creators in the industry. Additionally, there are already thousands and thousands of fans with wonderful ideas I admit I would like to see implemented in some capacity, but as it stands, there really is no good way to make noise Sakurai would A. notice, B. take note of, and C. include in this stage of development. We should be patient and enjoy the masterpiece Sakurai has been working on for many years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Its enough he has to hear the Waluigi nosense on a daily bases... he probably isn't taking anymore requests.

If I can be frank, y’all need to get off of Sakurai’s ****. Just because a bunch of obnoxious people reach out for him doesn’t mean you should discourage someone from leaving some potentially solid criticism or questions. Y’all act like he’s giving you the game for free or something.

I’m not sure where the best place to reach him, but I’m sure Twitter is a solid place. Worse case scenario you can email Nintendo, check YouTube. Good luck, man.

D

Deleted member

If I can be frank, y’all need to get off of Sakurai’s ****. Just because a bunch of obnoxious people reach out for him doesn’t mean you should discourage someone from leaving some potentially solid criticism or questions. Y’all act like he’s giving you the game for free or something.

I’m not sure where the best place to reach him, but I’m sure Twitter is a solid place. Worse case scenario you can email Nintendo, check YouTube. Good luck, man.
There's a difference between leaving criticism and being a whiny little brat when things don't go your way. Not saying Bronzegreekgod is an example of the latter, but asking for ways to reach Sakurai directly to make specific requests of one person is a very common thing the whiny brats tend to do. And plain and simple, it just doesn't work.

There have only been 1 or 2 replies here that are even remotely like the kind of reply you're describing. All of the others were perfectly reasonable. So please don't assume anyone to be a fanboy just for having a more positive opinion on the subject.

There's a difference between leaving criticism and being a whiny little brat when things don't go your way. Not saying Bronzegreekgod is an example of the latter, but asking for ways to reach Sakurai directly to make specific requests of one person is a very common thing the whiny brats tend to do. And plain and simple, it just doesn't work.

There have only been 1 or 2 replies here that are even remotely like the kind of reply you're describing. All of the others were perfectly reasonable. So please don't assume anyone to be a fanboy just for having a more positive opinion on the subject.
I’m assuming you’re a fan boy because you’re acting like the police instead of trying to help. The dude asked for help, give it to him. You aren’t doing anyone a service by not providing him with knowledge.

Why should I be nice to people who are on their high horse and openly mistreating others? Miss me with that.

D

Deleted member

I’m assuming you’re a fan boy because you’re acting like the police instead of trying to help. The dude asked for help, give it to him. You aren’t doing anyone a service by not providing him with knowledge.

Why should I be nice to people who are on their high horse and openly mistreating others? Miss me with that.
"What good would it do to try to reach out to him anyway? The game's very near completion. Sure there's a strong possibility of DLC but game companies don't take lists of ideas from one single fan for a reason."

If you honestly think that me saying this makes me a fanboy than you need to get your facts straight. All I said was that game companies don't take requests from single fans and that the base game is so near completion that it wouldn't matter anyway.

It's quite ironic that you're claiming us to be on a high horse and mistreating people when you're the one calling others fanboys just because of an incorrect assumption.

Now you can either continue to do so, which harms you more in the long run, or you can apologize for your behavior. And if you choose the former, then I'm not talking to you about it any further so good day to you sir.

"What good would it do to try to reach out to him anyway? The game's very near completion. Sure there's a strong possibility of DLC but game companies don't take lists of ideas from one single fan for a reason."

If you honestly think that me saying this makes me a fanboy than you need to get your facts straight. All I said was that game companies don't take requests from single fans and that the base game is so near completion that it wouldn't matter anyway.

It's quite ironic that you're claiming us to be on a high horse and mistreating people when you're the one calling others fanboys just because of an incorrect assumption.

Now you can either continue to do so, which harms you more in the long run, or you can apologize for your behavior. And if you choose the former, then I'm not talking to you about it any further so good day to you sir.
I literally never called you a fan boy outside of repeating what you called yourself.

you’re trippin’. whatever man.

Either way BronzeGreekGod BronzeGreekGod I hope you find a way to contact Sakurai in some way. Twitter might be your best bet out of them all, especially if you have a following and can speak from a designers perspective. Players have been a lot accomplished from being vocal as of late.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you would be able to contact the man directly, it's probably better to get in contact with Namco Bandai or Sora LTD instead of trying to get the big mans attention. The best way you can express your ideas to Sakurai is just to discuss it in public, and hope it spreads far enough that he takes notice.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I suppose this is something I should have done before N notion_of_the_ocean , but I didn't know how much Sakurai was listening to the fans. I'm wondering how much my project ganondorf trailer was on his radar. I Wana somehow see if I can point him to it and nudge him in the direction - maybe alternate moveset for ganon and others for dlc? The trailer was popular, and there's a good fanbase for it. I think it would speak for itself if I just started something up.

People have made a lot of noise for waluigi, and there's no telling wether or not that's gona do anything, but I'm sure he can't ignore it.

There are a couple of other small things I wanted to mention. Like for example being able to toggle off ryus classic inputs altogether cause not everyone enjoys them, and it ruins the character. The 1v1 solution he's come up with is okay, but it's still not perfect.

I'm not looking to bother the guy about adding 10 characters I want lol. Union of Darkness Union of Darkness Putuk Putuk @psb123 I just want him to take notice that ganondorf needs a big change while keeping his old moveset intacked.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
It took years for the Smash community to get something we wanted in. I think a one person won't ever make it to him.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I suppose this is something I should have done before N notion_of_the_ocean , but I didn't know how much Sakurai was listening to the fans. I'm wondering how much my project ganondorf trailer was on his radar. I Wana somehow see if I can point him to it and nudge him in the direction - maybe alternate moveset for ganon and others for dlc? The trailer was popular, and there's a good fanbase for it. I think it would speak for itself if I just started something up.

People have made a lot of noise for waluigi, and there's no telling wether or not that's gona do anything, but I'm sure he can't ignore it.

There are a couple of other small things I wanted to mention. Like for example being able to toggle off ryus classic inputs altogether cause not everyone enjoys them, and it ruins the character. The 1v1 solution he's come up with is okay, but it's still not perfect.

I'm not looking to bother the guy about adding 10 characters I want lol. Union of Darkness Union of Darkness Putuk Putuk @psb123 I just want him to take notice that ganondorf needs a big change while keeping his old moveset intacked.
I feel your pain. I really hate the way ZSS looks in Ultimate and I feel powerless to do anything about it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
But project ganondorf is very popular. It's not just me.
It's never just one person. People can always find others that like their ideas.

I'm not even going to say that your idea has to be SUPER MEGA POPULAR to get his attention (although it doesn't hurt.) Even if the idea does catch his attention and he notices it, he has very little reason to have any reaction other than going, "oh that's nice wehat that fan did. I'm glad they like our game," and moving on to the next fanvideo, fanart, fanproject, costume, or whatever. Keep in mind there are a lot of people that want his attentiona nd he can't look at everything.

Alternatively, you could move to Japan, get the place next door to where he lives, slowly build up a friendship,a dn then casually bring it up in conversation one day.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
But project ganondorf is very popular. It's not just me.
I'm going to level with ya here and take it from the very top.

What you made obviously has a lot of effort and creativity. Personally, I'm happy to see the new inclusion of sword use by Ganondorf in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and would have been okay with its use in the past. The use of the Sword of the Six Sages is impressive, albeit it a bit strange aesthetically (not on your behalf, it just always seemed to contrast Ganondorf's imposing size). The attacks were also well-done; including allusions to pasts iterations as a great idea. Shadow Ganon was also a cool addition, though he appeared to be a bit bulky. Overall, you clearly have skills and commitment to show.

Your question was "what is the best way to make some noise for Sakurai to take notice?" You go on to add, "Would twitter be the best way? Or youtube? Forums? Other? I know he pays attention to fans to some extent, so it would be cool to get ideas noticed if possible."

Let's start with the first question. The answer is we don't really know. Let's continue with the in-thread question:

Twitter: As stated in my first reply, it appears from interviews that Sakurai does not enjoy engagement on Twitter and only uses it sparingly.
YouTube: While it is possible that Sakurai watches YouTube, I doubt he specifically has time to go around checking videos at large. Furthermore, I find that many people here in Japan don't use YouTube nearly as much as our western counterparts.
Forums: I'm not sure which forums specifically Sakurai would be visiting. By all means, it is possible that he could have come across SmashBoards, AllIsBrawl, BrawlCentral, or even the subreddit in the past, but we have no distinct way of knowing. It is true that Nintendo representatives do visit these websites, but I don't know that Sakurai makes it a regular point to.
Email: You technically could find some way to email Nintendo, but they, and every other game company out there, make it a point that they don't want idea solicitation. To quote the HAL Laboratory, Sakurai's first company home, contact page:

"As a general rule, our company declines any proposals from customers of ideas, concepts, memoranda, images, and other materials related to new products, techniques, designs, marketing methods and materials, and other domains. Given both the possibility that there may be marked yet coincidental similarity between a customer's proposal and the unannounced ideas we've produced on our own, as well as the possibility of such a similarity leading to misunderstanding or even conflict with our customers, we ask for your understanding in this matter.

Even if by chance we do receive a proposal or offer from you as a customer, your transmission of that proposal is understood to be done in agreement with the following terms. Again, we ask for your understanding.

• ・ The company bears no obligation toward secrecy regarding any ideas, etc. present in a received proposal.
  • ・ The company bears no obligation to inspect, evaluate, adopt, or otherwise engage with a received proposal.
  • ・ The company bears absolutely no responsibility, including responsibility of payment, to the party or parties who have proposed an idea, etc., regardless of whether or not the company uses a proposal in part or in whole or otherwise publishes or announces a similar product, service, etc."
Overall, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Furthermore, as Nintendo isn't the developer of the game, only it's publisher, this would no doubt quickly fall upon deaf ears. Of course, they no doubt have a great deal of say in the matter, but getting a hold of them isn't the correct route.

We shouldn't make assumptions such as "..he can't ignore it." or "..Ganondorf needs a bit change..." Sakurai is one of the best minds in the industry. He knows what he's doing. Furthermore, let's remember that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is not a game designed by one man. There are many people working on the project, and I'd argue that getting their attention has more weight that getting Sakurai's attention specifically. I've had the opportunity to come across the Bandai Namco building in the past few months, and can say that anybody in the area is always on the move. They're all hard at work on their own projects. Let's remember that while we as fans have ideas, the developers have their own vision and ideas as well. Based on E3 and other events, it appears Sakurai prefers to observe than take direct feedback. Additionally, there are many fans with wonderful ideas and tangible means of showing them. This is in no way to discredit your work or to say it's not possible, just that it may be a flawed way of going about it.

While your idea may not get picked up any time soon, and I'm certainly not saying to pack up and go home, I recommend a new path to bring your content to those you want it to be seen by. Clearly, you have some talent and unique ideas, and the industry is always in need of them. Again, we don't know how to get Sakurai's attention. I know he's been to an event here and there in Japan, but that's not reliable information to go off of. I can't tell you to hop on a flight out here to Japan. For all we know, perhaps he's already away of your work and other various ideas. These are people who do this for a living, every day. They have people who come up with ideas and work with communities.

So, what do we do? Let's first expand the original question to making noise to get the attention of the development team at large. It is my contention that you have three options available:

1. Build more unique and popular projects at least as popular as Project M.
2. Get the entire community to rally behind your ideas on all social media.
3. Be a professional Super Smash Bros. player and win tournaments.

If your ideas make it into the future of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or the future of the franchise, that's fantastic! Regardless, you should definitely go beyond that. Someday, you may be in the seat of a developer yourself and put your ideas into your own game, whether it be Super Smash Bros. or not. At the end of the day, I say put more effort into continuing your passion than getting the attention of one man. Build a résumé of projects beyond one. 日本語を勉強したほうがいいですよ。

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What good would it do to try to reach out to him anyway? The game's very near completion. Sure there's a strong possibility of DLC but game companies don't take lists of ideas from one single fan for a reason.
Because they're worried if they use all my ideas, the game will be TOO perfect and nobody will be able to stop playing it and civilization will collapse.

*nod*

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
1 learn Japanese if you don’t already know it

2 Fly to Japan

3 Find Sakurai’s office and or house

4 Get a megaphone and yell into the megaphone outside his window saying what you want

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
The project Ganondorf stuff IS really cool, but giving a character a major overhaul at THIS point very late in development, where they are most likely just polishing the game and debugging some stuff? No chance.
If they did that, it'd mean they'd have to delay the game. To top it off, this is an incredibly selfish demand from a dev-team that has already given us SO MUCH.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The project Ganondorf stuff IS really cool, but giving a character a major overhaul at THIS point very late in development, where they are most likely just polishing the game and debugging some stuff? No chance.
If they did that, it'd mean they'd have to delay the game. To top it off, this is an incredibly selfish demand from a dev-team that has already given us SO MUCH.
Well if it hasn't already happened, I'd like to push for dlc alt movesets

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Well if it hasn't already happened, I'd like to push for dlc alt movesets
Geez, you're desperate.

That's just opening pandorax box, next thing you know, fans will want alternate movesets for 2/3rds of the cast. That's like making 50 more characters.

Just stop.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Geez, you're desperate.

That's just opening pandorax box, next thing you know, fans will want alternate movesets for 2/3rds of the cast. That's like making 50 more characters.

Just stop.
Open the box! Open it!!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You know that's something you're NOT supposed to do right?
Yes I'm well aware!

But seriously, opening options to having alternate movesets would be great. Not every character would need a completely new moveset, and not every character would need an alt at all.

Full alts - ganondorf and young link (masks).

Partial alts - toon link (give some moves from WW and other toon link games), dark samus (a couple attacks from assist trophy) maybe Mario (hammer) but probably not (you'll see why below), Wario (body check instead of motorcycle) and dk (barrel throwing).

Other - Link (Original bombs), Mario (tornado instead of fludd), Falco (original melee moveset), pit (original brawl moveset) and there's a handful of other characters who's original movesets wed want.

The box should be opened!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The intentions behind this thread are seen as incredibly selfish and condescending.
It's actually one of the times I've actually been offended reading what is written on this forum.

I dont say that to shame the OP poster, but the imperial nature to want your voice heard over the director, at the end of development, above an enormous fandom, does not present in the best light.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The intentions behind this thread are seen as incredibly selfish and condescending.
It's actually one of the times I've actually been offended reading what is written on this forum.

I dont say that to shame the OP poster, but the imperial nature to want your voice heard over the director, at the end of development, above an enormous fandom, does not present in the best light.
Really though? Cause Sakurai clearly listens to the fans. And something popular is going to be heard by him. I'm simply wondering where he listens most. I was wondering about this because i have a pretty popular mod that people would love to see become a reality in an official smash bros (not a 1 to 1 exact copy, but the idea of ganondorf being fully decloned).

And sorry, but to be offended by this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard (no offence man). I appreciate the work being put into this game, as do we all, but this is not a free game. Sakurai is well paid. So wanting to get ideas out there to him shouldnt be offensive. Unless im misunderstanding what has offended you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is nothing selfish wanting to have your voice heard. As a fan, you have a right to voice your opinion. Expecting someone to simply listen is... pretty normal. Nobody likes being ignored. It's human nature. In addition, it is heavily off-topic to question the point of the OP's intentions here. Or any other thread. Just don't. Actually reply to what they've said but don't mudsling at them. That's unacceptable and causes pointless derails. We expect more maturity than that kind of pointless stuff.

Besides that, if something a user says is questionable, report it. Do not respond. And by questionable, I don't mean saying something that is incorrect or simply an opinion you disagree with. You can disagree with an opinion constructively and civilly just fine. If it isn't against the rules, reporting it is often unnecessary.

As the question has been answered, this thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom