• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice What's The Best Way to Get Out of a Bad Habit?

papa_tetris

Smash Rookie
I've been struggling to stop using UpB out of instinct? What can I do to calm down in the moment and NOT do that?
(P.S I play puff if it wasn't ovious.)

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
Since you’ve played puff for so long, you have developed muscle memory to press UpB when you’re in a concentrated moment in a match because of your habits. You should opt to use other moves rather than resorting to Sing to put your opponents to sleep. The only time you should ever use sleep is if you can land a hard read on your opponents, which gives you a free opportunity to land a rest. I can understand the portion where you claim that in a heated situation that it’s difficult for you to calm down, and everyone is like this including professional players as well. One way is to not force yourself to play aggressively against the opponent, as Jigglypuff isn’t a character that you can easily play aggressively. Play it slow and try your best to figure out your opponents game plan, and figure out a way to find an opening. Blindly rushing against the opponent will more likely cause you to UpB instinctively as they rack up easy damage against you.

papa_tetris

Smash Rookie
Since you’ve played puff for so long, you have developed muscle memory to press UpB when you’re in a concentrated moment in a match because of your habits. You should opt to use other moves rather than resorting to Sing to put your opponents to sleep. The only time you should ever use sleep is if you can land a hard read on your opponents, which gives you a free opportunity to land a rest. I can understand the portion where you claim that in a heated situation that it’s difficult for you to calm down, and everyone is like this including professional players as well. One way is to not force yourself to play aggressively against the opponent, as Jigglypuff isn’t a character that you can easily play aggressively. Play it slow and try your best to figure out your opponents game plan, and figure out a way to find an opening. Blindly rushing against the opponent will more likely cause you to UpB instinctively as they rack up easy damage against you.
I also think sing being buffed really made me wanna use it more. I never really did before Ultimate. Thank you for the help!

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Recognize the moments that this is really screwing you up and you're getting punished or losing neutral. Then, once you've recognized the type of situation you're falling into, try everything but the UpB....you know it doesn't usually work there, so what do you have to lose? Explore your other options. If something else flat out DOESN'T WORK, then just try something else. One of these avenues will produce a decent or favorable result more often than the others. Recognize THAT, and you're one step closer to optimizing your gameplay.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
There are two ways I can think of:

1) Play people who will punish you for that habit. You can do this by either playing better people or asking people at your skill level to watch out for it when you play. This will force you into avoiding it.

2) Replace the habit with something else. Try to make your practice sessions meaningful by picking a different habit to replace up b with. Ideally, a move that's less punishable on whiff.

Top Bottom