• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the best practice for mashing out of grab?

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I can't find anything on youtube or smashboards about this, so I'll get straight to the point;

I'd like to know the most efficient way to break out of a grab.. What buttons are best to press, should I be focusing more on rotating the sticks, are any buttons exempt from being registered during the fact?

I understand the basic concept so I'll pass on any of that info, I'm looking for extremely specific info. Thanks.
I'm basically asking how top players go about doing it. I know there's a chance it might just be strictly mashing random buttons but I'd thought I'd ask lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Spiral the stick and slide across the buttons.

Button + stick input on same frame counts but 2 button inputs on the same frame do not.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Spiraling the Stick can mess up your DI though, so its probably better to hold a direction with the analog stick and mash with the buttons. The trade off is that you might not mash out as fast.

This video is for Sm4sh, but their swiping style (they call it wobbling) seems pretty efficient and there is no reason why it won't work in Melee as well.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well, you should know about when you'll get out and stop spiraling just before. Spiraling 2-3 times quickly depending on the situation does nothing but good.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, it should be noted that the C-Stick does absolutely nothing to mash out and don't count towards inputs.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Well, you should know about when you'll get out and stop spiraling just before. Spiraling 2-3 times quickly depending on the situation does nothing but good.
I agree thats good against chars with slower throws or chaingrabs like Marth (especially because a lot of Marths like to pummel during the chain grab), but Puffs Uthrow comes out hella fast and you need to DI that immediately.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I agree thats good against chars with slower throws or chaingrabs like Marth (especially because a lot of Marths like to pummel during the chain grab), but Puffs Uthrow comes out hella fast and you need to DI that immediately.
But breaking out of that usually isn't a big issue. Same with Fox uthrow. They're throwing immediately.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Thank you so much guys.
Just need one more clarification; the smash 4 video says control stick and button do not count at the same time or to pick one over the other (control stick spiraling vs button sliding) this isn't the case in melee correct? Meaning as ace said I could do both. Just looking for the most frame/input efficiency here. Video definitely helped a ton, thanks again

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Thank you so much guys.
Just need one more clarification; the smash 4 video says control stick and button do not count at the same time or to pick one over the other (control stick spiraling vs button sliding) this isn't the case in melee correct? Meaning as ace said I could do both. Just looking for the most frame/input efficiency here. Video definitely helped a ton, thanks again
It receives one stick input and one button input per frame in Melee. If you need any info on breaking out of grabs, this post is very helpful.

Top Bottom