• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats The Best Ness Combo?

TreeChopperVillager

The Rubber Man Himself...
Switch FC
SW 1611 0712 3143
Hello Fellow Ness mains. I am here to ask a pretty important question. What is the best Ness Combo you've seen? I'm starting to get into Up Throw and Back Throw combo's but whats the best in your eyes?

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I know I’m not a mod, but you may want to double check the rules for posting. Double posts are frowned upon, so in the future you’d be better off editing your posts.

Uair -> uair -> uair -> PKT at low percents
Fair -> fair -> PKT at mid percents
Fair -> uair -> fair -> PKT can work on some character at low percents

Drag down uair -> imagination is amazing and works at basically any percent on any character. At mid-high percents after it stops comboing into itself, fair starts to true combo when used as a drag down tool.

Dtilt spam into jabs can do surprising amounts of damage, and does insane damage if you can catch someone with it right at ledge.

Other than those few, Ness is pretty much a freestyle character in advantage. He doesn’t have a static combo flowchart like other characters, you just kinda have to play Ness until the buttons come naturally.

Also, there’s not really such a thing as a “bad combo”, just that some combos aren’t optimal or are very situational. But these qualities don’t mean they aren’t worth learning.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean exactly about the "double posts"
I take it you're new to forums? Double posting refers to posting twice in a row in the same thread. Rather than posting twice, you should edit your original post.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’d say uair is definitely Ness’s most reliable combo tool

PK Fire>Dair>uair can work and does a ton of damage

Drag down uair utilt>utilt>uair>uair works at some percentages

Dair>Uair is a kill confirm around 100% or so depending on character

Fast fall uair>ftilt is a confirm at about 130% on edge

Fast fall uair>back throw is a confirm at back throw percentages

Reverse magnet>bair is a kill confirm

DJC Magnet>nair/uair/bair/fair can all work

There are more Specs64z Specs64z listed a lot or good ones

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
My usual goto at the start of a stock is "Downthrow to shorthop f-air to f-air to aerial PK Fire"

This seems to work from 0%-25% on most characters (Heavier ones like Bowser can have this string work as high as 50%) The PK Fire is less for the damage and more for spacing. In my experiences, it can get an air dodge baited pretty well. (Do with that what you will) Landing the fire can sometimes lead into more aerials, or a smash attack. Be advised that this combo isn't true (I heard it was in sm4sh but I never played) and your mileage may vary based on character and situation.

Higher percentages go more like "Downthrow to up-air to PK Thunder" or "PK Fire to Down-air (onstage) to up-air to PK Thunder" (If youre lucky, you can turn the PK Thunder to a PK Rocket! Be careful!)

PSI Magnet can set you up for back-airs, as its windbox can push your opponent right into the ideal place to land a back-air.

Aerial Pk Fire can also lead into some nice combos. Usually, I go for "Aerial PK Fire to N-air to PK Thunder" at higher percentages or if I'm in the air, and a grab combo at lower percents. I've also had luck with "PK Fire to charged up-smash to PSI Magnet to back-air". The fire keeps them still and while the Yo-yo charges, it deals hit after hit.

I've also read a lot about 'falling up-air' combos, but I need more practice with them to give a good response.

While combos are flashy and add nice damage, don't be afraid to play it safe with tilts and PK Thunder harassment from time to time. Never underestimate your Yo-yo either. Sometimes the ledgeguard is safer than the spike; but once again, mileage may vary. :ness:

Last edited:

-Saltyclams-

Smash Rookie
basic down throw combos like in smash 4 still work but they are less effective something i love doing is djc>magnet>drag down up air> then from there you can do sooooo many thing like up tilt grab i'mnot sure about the amount of frames you are positive on for when you do it. But you can get a lot of things again like grab which leads to throw combos or uptilt into up air which leads into juggles magnet got lots op buffs and up air seems like a buff to me too cause of its utility so its best to keep those in mind

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Since nobody is really touching the question...
The worst combo is PK Fire -> PK Fire
The better version is PK Fire -> PSI Magnet -> PK Fire -> PSI Magnet -> PK Fire -> PSI Magnet
At least with this one, people can tell you're good, and they're just bad and need to learn DI.
Bonus points if you do PK Fire -> Dtilt spam -> Trip -> Bat

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Since nobody is really touching the question...
The worst combo is PK Fire -> PK Fire
The better version is PK Fire -> PSI Magnet -> PK Fire -> PSI Magnet -> PK Fire -> PSI Magnet
At least with this one, people can tell you're good, and they're just bad and need to learn DI.
Bonus points if you do PK Fire -> Dtilt spam -> Trip -> Bat
Add a dair>uair into one of those PK Fire magnet combos for extra swag

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Pk fire spam into bat. Best 0 to death combo.
Or 2 pk fires into dair near the edge.

Smash Cadet
High percents
Bthrow -> You're done (keep the throw fresh though)

Last edited:

guyonthedock_js

Smash Rookie
I love offstage shenanigans with the magnet leading into dair or bair :D Always gets a cheer or two from the crowd.

ctapies

Smash Rookie
I know that there was a combo performed in competition that was a Dthrow -> short hop -> Fair (off ledge) -> Psi magnet -> Dair
I think its true but I haven't been able to work at this moment in time, and it should spike if all moves are done in correct timings.

Top Bottom