• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the Best Major for New Players?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Smash Rookie
NNID
tawksick2580
I'm fairly new to the competitive scene and I'm debating on trying to go to majors and meet others in the community, as well as get some valuable tips from some of the better players. What major would you recommend for me and some of the others who may have this question?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
This is kind of broad. I don't know where u even live -_-

but majors, especially ones far from you, are a big investment. I'd suggest starting small and regulary attend locals first to start improving.

:150:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Any major you go to can be a grear experience, just try not to get upset if you train in the lab or in your scene alot then lose immediately when the tourney starts or only win a few games.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
I'd say not to go to a major so early in your competitive career; start smaller. Of course, majors cost a pretty penny depending on how renowned it is. Though you won't get any gain from them, other than experience, you are still losing a bit of money compared to a small Arcadian or something which is far cheaper and the players there are at your level. You would get your money's worth, per se. If you find one in your area, you can repeatedly go there and play against the same general group of people.

Check on Facebook, here and twitter for people in your area wanting to play with anyone and tournaments being held. Majors are like a large test that you don't want to fail, smaller tournaments are quizzes. Solo practice, friendlies and money matches is the regular work. You won't do well on the test if you didn't study and know what you're doing.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I would personally start smaller than a major, unless you want to play friendlies and spectate matches. I would start out with some locals. Try to find some weeklies or monthlies near where you live. It is great practice and I'm sure you can learn a thing or two about how tournaments work and the environment, players etc.

Top Bottom