• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the benefit of hitting with full charge vs one needle other than damage?

Journal

Smash Apprentice
I know it does more damage, but if I'm accurate is it a more effective gimping tool than one needle on its own? Otherwise I think it would be useful to mixup throwing single needles vs charge canceling to get them to shield so I can go for a grab.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
I know it does more damage, but if I'm accurate is it a more effective gimping tool than one needle on its own? Otherwise I think it would be useful to mixup throwing single needles vs charge canceling to get them to shield so I can go for a grab.
6 Needles give loads of Hit stun, making it safer @ close range, and follow ups are possible @ higher %. IMO, Single needles are nice to interrupt certain things, has enough stun to lead into grabs (from the air, on hit) and plenty useful for gimps, but that's about it.

KingsGambit27

Smash Cadet
6 Needles give loads of Hit stun, making it safer @ close range, and follow ups are possible @ higher %. IMO, Single needles are nice to interrupt certain things, has enough stun to lead into grabs (from the air, on hit) and plenty useful for gimps, but that's about it.
So just fyi, the number of needles to (in a practical setting) guarantee an Aerial Needle > Grab link is a minimum of 4/3 depending on %. Any less and you would have to be ultra low to the ground and probably will get hit. Good rule of thumb is to have 3 when in the air, and having more is good for damage and keeping your opponent in hitsun longer, as stated above.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
So just fyi, the number of needles to (in a practical setting) guarantee an Aerial Needle > Grab link is a minimum of 4/3 depending on %. Any less and you would have to be ultra low to the ground and probably will get hit. Good rule of thumb is to have 3 when in the air, and having more is good for damage and keeping your opponent in hitsun longer, as stated above.
Yea, doing that with 1 needle was a stretch.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
More coverage for AtG needle cancels, which are a fundamental of Sheik's approaches. You also get more advantage on hit for hitting with needles thrown later in the animation (that is, more needles charged) which is very obvious with these same AtG needle setups. This is because Sheik is in the same amount of animation lag whether she's throwing 1 or 6 needles.

HelloAxi

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2938-6948-6908
Aerial needles-> dacus. This is too good. Multi needles make it so much easier.

Top Bottom