• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's That in the Sewers? - the Pennywise Support Thread.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Welcome to the support thread for the scourge of Derry, Pennywise the Dancing Clown.

Who is this happy fellow?

Pennywise is an extradimensional entity that feeds, primarily, on fear. Probably one of the most recognisable characters by acclaimed horror author Stephen King, I would say Pennywise is one of the most solid ways to represent his works. King's works have been adapted into a wide number of Warner works, including movies such as The Shining and the modern reboot of It, though Pennywise has been an icon of film since the release of the first It film back in 1986.

Why should we care?

Pennywise, I think, could be quite interesting to see here. There's a lot of potential with Pennywise's almost eldritch true nature, and whilst we'd have to tone down the bloodier and more horrific aspects of Pennywise's nature in order to have him fit in the game, we've seen already that more mature IPs (specifically, Game of Thrones) are on the table. Plus, he'd bring quite a unique vibe that other horror characters, or even other clowns (because we're all thinking of one in particular) wouldn't. Overall, having him represent his nature both in the original novel, as well as in the films, could lead to a lot of fun. A mechanic in which he takes on his spider-like appearance for certain, more powerful attacks, seems fun to me. Not only this, but finally getting the opportunity to represent other genres such as horror would be a great way to make MultiVersus' roster feel fleshed out!

What stands in our way?
Pennywise is in a similar boat to characters from properties like Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings in that, originating from a novel as opposed to a film, there are slightly more rights entanglements compared to a wholly first-party series. I'm also not sure how King himself would feel about Pennywise's inclusion... but there are rumblings of his potential inclusion in Dead by Daylight, plus the new HBO series being on its way if it comes to cross-promotion. Also, I suppose there's the potential issue of the 1986 film and 1990 series not being Warner-owned, but the more recent reboot series is owned by them, so that helps.

Overall, I think this monster's got a lot of potential, and I think we've got room for him alongside other clowns and funnymen in the roster. (Also, even if it's not necessarily Warner-owned, a 1990-styled costume would be awesome to see.)

Let's keep our fingers crossed for this horrific entity to join the... uh... versus? Hey, more evil presences are always fun.

Who's on the side of fear?
FazDude FazDude

Last edited:
Top Bottom