• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's stopping Sonic from getting more characters?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest, I imagine this has a lot to do with Sonic not being as big in Japan as it is here on top of Sonic content never really feeling... inspired in Smash. Like, I'm not trying to accuse Sakurai of intentional bias against the series but I don't think the passion is there for additional Sonic characters when Sonic himself and the content he's come with are so bland as is. Compared to Mega Man, Simon, Terry...

He feels more like an obligation, a checked off box rather than a celebrated part of the roster. This is probably on account of being thrown into Brawl last minute, and Sakurai's unfortunate habit of leaving characters like Ganon or Sonic pretty much the same. Sonic's content is another thing, which has been able to grow substantially but still is regulated to mostly main themes and another grass level. The problem isn't quantity - it's quality.

Which is really sad, honestly. But that's just how things are with Sonic right now. It would make a new character very exciting for that same reason, to give Sonic some more of that love, but I can't see it happening until maybe next game if / when the demand is strong enough.

With that said yeah, Sephiroth is the first of additional, unique third party characters for already represented series and I see that being a trend that continues well into the series' future. I think Sonic getting Tails or Eggman (or Shadow, I guess) feels pretty natural moving forward, although IMO likely after Street Fighter gets Chun-Li (which could happen as soon as this game's DLC imo).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wasn't aware. When did this happen?
Well, during the development periods.

It was odd too. Yuji Naka came to Sakurai during Melee to get him in. Later on, during Brawl's development, Sakurai made a base plan for every character. Everybody that was in the final game was planned from the start. Many were added late, mind you, including Sonic, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf. That is, late in game development. This is why there was 6 more characters besides Dixie Kong planned(and possibly more, but who knows), but Sonic later on was said yes to and that throwed development into whack. They had to delay the game again. This is why we found the files for Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and whatever Pra_Mai is. The last one is odd cause there's no way to tell, and it doesn't match up properly with Plusle & Minun's Japanese names either. The rest are clear cut names and meanings.

I forget the details on For, but it's less complicated. Though to be fair, I could be misremembering For's development in that regard.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
If it could be any Sonic character, my vote goes to Sally Acorn. Technically speaking, she did in fact originate from the games:

Because of the lack of other characters beyond Sonic & Eggman, early concepts for the 1st Sonic cartoon/comics redesigned the animals that pop out of robots into more fleshed out characters. So she's theoretically eligible as a possible newcomer.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
To be honest, I imagine this has a lot to do with Sonic not being as big in Japan as it is here on top of Sonic content never really feeling... inspired in Smash. Like, I'm not trying to accuse Sakurai of intentional bias against the series but I don't think the passion is there for additional Sonic characters when Sonic himself and the content he's come with are so bland as is. Compared to Mega Man, Simon, Terry...

He feels more like an obligation, a checked off box rather than a celebrated part of the roster. This is probably on account of being thrown into Brawl last minute, and Sakurai's unfortunate habit of leaving characters like Ganon or Sonic pretty much the same. Sonic's content is another thing, which has been able to grow substantially but still is regulated to mostly main themes and another grass level. The problem isn't quantity - it's quality.

Which is really sad, honestly. But that's just how things are with Sonic right now. It would make a new character very exciting for that same reason, to give Sonic some more of that love, but I can't see it happening until maybe next game if / when the demand is strong enough.

With that said yeah, Sephiroth is the first of additional, unique third party characters for already represented series and I see that being a trend that continues well into the series' future. I think Sonic getting Tails or Eggman (or Shadow, I guess) feels pretty natural moving forward, although IMO likely after Street Fighter gets Chun-Li (which could happen as soon as this game's DLC imo).
honestly the sonic series in smash always felt a bit... flanderized, if you know what I mean. like look at sonic himself, he spins, bounces on a spring, and runs absurdly fast without the need for any momentum (might I add that momentum is what sonic is really about), the stages are green hill and green hill.. but in the sky! It just kinda feels like sakurai for the most part designed the sonic content off of memory (which I assume isn't the case given how sonic's moveset references sonic the fighters of all things) most of the music is just the main theme or first level theme of each game (why on earth is there emerald hill but not chemical plant?)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
honestly the sonic series in smash always felt a bit... flanderized, if you know what I mean. like look at sonic himself, he spins, bounces on a spring, and runs absurdly fast without the need for any momentum (might I add that momentum is what sonic is really about), the stages are green hill and green hill.. but in the sky! It just kinda feels like sakurai for the most part designed the sonic content off of memory (which I assume isn't the case given how sonic's moveset references sonic the fighters of all things) most of the music is just the main theme or first level theme of each game (why on earth is there emerald hill but not chemical plant?)
I guess that much of that stemmed from a mix of licensing issues and early pains for third-party use (:ultsnake: wasn't allowed any weapon that wasn't an explosive).

Also, the Smash staff is obviously fixated on the first area of any game at times. Have you noticed how many first levels of :ultmario: and :ultdk: games we have?

At any rate, I imagine that the addition of a new :ultsonic: character will help to fix that, but if Mii costumes are still treated as consolation prizes no matter what, it'll take some time before we get Tails or Knuckles in here.

Also, series that aren't that popular in Japan don't seem to pose much of a problem when Nintendo owns them, so it's less risk-averse in that kind of case. :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You are aware they said no for Sonic for Brawl at first, right? And we know they didn't actually say yes to Sonic for For at first either. So basically they seem to be fine with other content, but when it comes to playable, we see no evidence of it being plausible. They couldn't even get an Echo for base either, which is surprising since Shadow or Metal Sonic(as I noted, the only feasible ones) didn't happen. Shadow suddenly being revealed late makes it questionable too. Did plans fall through? Did Sakurai never ask? Does Nintendo and Sakurai feel Sonic is enough? They keep going for other Sega franchises as is.

And I highly doubt we'd even get two next game under that. It's been clearly difficult to even get an extra character from any franchise outside of Echoes alone. Sephiroth is pretty lucky in itself, and isn't a good indicator of things to come either. Since most of the time we get an Echo. That's in fact the only time we got two third party characters from the same franchise, being a unique situation for Castlevania. The Echo mold made it easier for both to work as well as Castlevania getting massive ballot votes(the main reason they were chosen), but also because Sakurai wanted to use both of the main protagonists over Alucard. Imagine if he didn't do that. That's the point I'm making. Sephiroth is a very special situation that I wouldn't apply anywhere else. For all we know, he was agreed upon to be done eventually, which is also when we'd get a lot more FFVII content. I think he was likely in talks for a very long time. So maybe base for next game otherwise.
I'm gonna ask

It's possible that Another Sonic character is in the Same position Sephiroth was for this game (I'll use Shadow as the example here)

I've see the possibilities you bring up, But I also see that none of the other options was for Shadow to appear later as DLC on his own terms

Like I get people were expecting Shadow as an echo for base, and Many people were surprised that Shadow was revealed as an Assist at the last minute, but what if Shadow as an echo was never in the Cards as an echo fighter...but as his own fighter

Shadow may share the Same Body type as Sonic, but there's nothing to suggest Shadow has to be an echo. Shadow is about as Iconic as Sephiroth is and has Good amount of unique material to make a New Moveset, there's no reason he can't be his own character just because he has Similar body shapes and Characters like Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus got echo'd. Shadow on his own has different (and Better) merits from echoes like Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus

And as for the Assist, as Shadow is an veteran Assist trophy, it would be weird if his Assist was absent altogether, as if FP2 did not happen, Shadow would just be without an Assist.

And I think from Sega's Standpoint, unless they really are afraid of Sonic himself not being the heavy focus, there is no reason to not want to put more spotlight on Sonic with another Character, especially now when the 30th Anniversary is here. Sonic licenses itself out like crazy for a Franchise like his. He's been in Fallguys, Lego Dimmensions, OK KO, Ninjala, etc, and alot of the times other Characters have been there along with him. They may have denied Sonic previously in Brawl, but I think they are more open to it now more than ever honestly. They know that Sonic in Smash is good for him and the brand, so I can't see them being that in denial about more Sonic content.

I also do believe Sephiroth was in talks for a Long time, probably around 2015 or even 2014.

I think the idea to expand on the 3rd Party series already in Smash must have been on the mind of the Smash devs, and they were deciding on the Candidates perhaps as early as 2014-2015. If you notice when Ryu got in, Ken was the only SF Character that actually had Content in the game (Trophy, Music Themes). Ken would end up on the base roster of Ultimate

Sephiroth had references to him more than other characters even if He wasn't actually featured in Smash 4, So I could see how he was in decision of being in the roster

There's no way Sonic wasn't also considered for a Character, Considering the Requests for another Character from this franchise in Particular being very heavy around Smash 4, and also the pedigree of the Franchise and it's secondary characters.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
In this old thread from back in 2018, a lot of people agreed (despite my protests at the time and even now tbh) that if any third-party franchise would get first dibs at having a second character in Smash, it would need to be Sonic. I saw similar sentiments on multiple other websites.

And then both Castlevania and Street Fighter beat Sonic to that punch. But at least the secondary representative in both of those franchises were echoes. People quickly amended their views that if any third-party franchise would get first dibs at having a second non-echo character in Smash, it would need to be Sonic.

And Final Fantasy (VII) beat Sonic to that punch. I guess this means there's nowhere else to go other than to hope that Sonic gets two more non-echo third-party characters.

This all makes me wonder: what exactly is preventing Sonic from getting more characters, at least within Ultimate's lifetime? The thread I linked seemed to be fairly conclusive evidence to show that among all the third-party franchises, the demand for more Sonic characters outshines that of other third-party franchises. Sora Ltd. and Nintendo should at least be aware of that demand; significantly smaller fan demand is what lead Sakurai to finally relent with giving Ganondorf regular sword moves and rework Wario's Shoulder Bash into a more sensical form. Yet when it comes to selecting characters from already-represented third-party franchises, they continue to choose the franchises with less demand. What could be the reason for this?
I have a few theories, actually. It would not surprise me if in totality, they cover all possibilities, but I shall summarize the two main ones very basically.

1: An impression of Sakurai that I get from various statements I read suggest to me that he thinks fans of his games feel entitled. I am not sure where I heard it, but I saw him being quoted as saying that whenever he developed a new game, fans expected there to be a sequel. Furthermore, it sounds like he often does the opposite of what his fans want in terms of specific character requests, the one instance I can remember clearly being the inclusion of a piranha plant over the much desired Waluigi. Perhaps he thinks that if he gives an inch, they will take a mile.

2: In the same breath that he spoke of fan expectations, he said (purportedly) something about all the effort that goes into making these games. Maybe he considers himself and his staff as true artisans, and that there should be a special attention and appreciation given towards what is already presented, and not future developments.

Again, these are theories. I have not been the most up to date on these things, so maybe even the above is quite misinformed. However, they are the result of my own curiosity as to why some of these things have occurred, and I would like to know the true answer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I find this cool remix of Chemical Plant Zone:

A remix like this for this song would go perfectly with Tails in a Challenger Pack. This remix actually sounds like a song in the game whether than a fanmade one.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If it could be any Sonic character, my vote goes to Sally Acorn. Technically speaking, she did in fact originate from the games:

Because of the lack of other characters beyond Sonic & Eggman, early concepts for the 1st Sonic cartoon/comics redesigned the animals that pop out of robots into more fleshed out characters. So she's theoretically eligible as a possible newcomer.
Not only that, but Android 21's circumstances imply that any official Mario/Sonic/Pacman/Megaman etc. character is a videogame character regardless of what media they were created for because the character is still from a franchise that is of videogame origin.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not only that, but Android 21's circumstances imply that any official Mario/Sonic/Pacman/Megaman etc. character is a videogame character regardless of what media they were created for because the character is still from a franchise that is of videogame origin.
That's pretty much the point. First come first serve, if you will.

A lot of franchises didn't start as a game one. This is why it makes so much sense that many non-game references exist, because they're still from a franchise that started as a video game. It's not weird because in the end, it still is referring to a video game character proper.

Android 21's other factor is why would she be chosen over the main character of the story? The hard mascot? There's no way she'd get in before Goku anyway. It's the same general people to license as is, due to it being a specific franchise and all its details. Her debut doesn't do anything to change the situation. Hell, Lucario debuted in an anime, but is made for a game series that's already established. So it's less about debut about the series itself and how it's created.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Something I always wonder is, how we have certain characters in the game already. Like even if they were just pngs, to fully voices assist trophies.

Wouldn't Sakurai technically be able to add some of these characters since they already have the liberty of using their rights?

Like Tails for example. He's already in the game. Other than the voice actress, could he just add him? I imagine some adjustments have yo be made on the negotiations, but other than that...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something I always wonder is, how we have certain characters in the game already. Like even if they were just pngs, to fully voices assist trophies.

Wouldn't Sakurai technically be able to add some of these characters since they already have the liberty of using their rights?

Like Tails for example. He's already in the game. Other than the voice actress, could he just add him? I imagine some adjustments have yo be made on the negotiations, but other than that...
No. You can only add what the licensed agreement says to add.

All of those have tons of details and complications. For instance, he can add Tails' model, Mii Hat, and Spirit to base game. He cannot add him as actually playable or his voices without specific permission.

It's the same reason why we only get some music during a MIi Costume/Character Reveal. Because that music is licensed for solely that situation. Look at how much music is not in the final game despite being used in trailers. Different agreements and rules.

I'm gonna ask

It's possible that Another Sonic character is in the Same position Sephiroth was for this game (I'll use Shadow as the example here)

I've see the possibilities you bring up, But I also see that none of the other options was for Shadow to appear later as DLC on his own terms

Like I get people were expecting Shadow as an echo for base, and Many people were surprised that Shadow was revealed as an Assist at the last minute, but what if Shadow as an echo was never in the Cards as an echo fighter...but as his own fighter

Shadow may share the Same Body type as Sonic, but there's nothing to suggest Shadow has to be an echo. Shadow is about as Iconic as Sephiroth is and has Good amount of unique material to make a New Moveset, there's no reason he can't be his own character just because he has Similar body shapes and Characters like Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus got echo'd. Shadow on his own has different (and Better) merits from echoes like Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus

And as for the Assist, as Shadow is an veteran Assist trophy, it would be weird if his Assist was absent altogether, as if FP2 did not happen, Shadow would just be without an Assist.

And I think from Sega's Standpoint, unless they really are afraid of Sonic himself not being the heavy focus, there is no reason to not want to put more spotlight on Sonic with another Character, especially now when the 30th Anniversary is here. Sonic licenses itself out like crazy for a Franchise like his. He's been in Fallguys, Lego Dimmensions, OK KO, Ninjala, etc, and alot of the times other Characters have been there along with him. They may have denied Sonic previously in Brawl, but I think they are more open to it now more than ever honestly. They know that Sonic in Smash is good for him and the brand, so I can't see them being that in denial about more Sonic content.

I also do believe Sephiroth was in talks for a Long time, probably around 2015 or even 2014.

I think the idea to expand on the 3rd Party series already in Smash must have been on the mind of the Smash devs, and they were deciding on the Candidates perhaps as early as 2014-2015. If you notice when Ryu got in, Ken was the only SF Character that actually had Content in the game (Trophy, Music Themes). Ken would end up on the base roster of Ultimate

Sephiroth had references to him more than other characters even if He wasn't actually featured in Smash 4, So I could see how he was in decision of being in the roster

There's no way Sonic wasn't also considered for a Character, Considering the Requests for another Character from this franchise in Particular being very heavy around Smash 4, and also the pedigree of the Franchise and it's secondary characters.
The point I was making is only Shadow and Metal Sonic have the shared body types so they can be an Echo. Nobody said he had to be one. Two different things.

Nonetheless, there's a ton of cool ways to implement the various Sonic characters. Besides Classic Sonic(who would have to be a clone or semi-clone due to a different bodyshape. He's like Young Link, a different bodyshape but easily can have the skeleton and animations re-rigged).

I'd prefer Shadow as unique too. Don't get me wrong.

One should also look at Sega and how it handles the Sonic main games. You rarely will see anybody beyond Sonic and... Sonic playable. Sometimes slightly different variants, but they don't want to properly use the plethora of characters. This could be due to a fear of backlash after they had a ton of trouble implementing them well in previous 3D games. 06 was the last straw in that regard, and they got much negative feedback with the Werehog too. They can't win in that regard. This may be a similar thing in Smash, since they don't have an issue with the other characters appearing, but they are adverse to having them playable outside of being identical to others to a massive degree like in the Racing and Olympics/Sports types games. This means they don't have to worry about bad character balance at all.

Of course, this could be unrelated, but who knows. I'd just look at their history and honestly? I could see that being related.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
TIL Oogtar the Caveboy from the Super Mario World cartoon is eligible for SSB. Where does Captain N lie? He's legally owned by Nintendo & debuted in Nintendo Power magzine.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No. You can only add what the licensed agreement says to add.

All of those have tons of details and complications. For instance, he can add Tails' model, Mii Hat, and Spirit to base game. He cannot add him as actually playable or his voices without specific permission.

It's the same reason why we only get some music during a MIi Costume/Character Reveal. Because that music is licensed for solely that situation. Look at how much music is not in the final game despite being used in trailers. Different agreements and rules.
I never thought about licensing that way, but that makes a ton of sense. If they did make a character playable, they would have to get permission to use the voice actor's audio clips in the game. That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never thought about licensing that way, but that makes a ton of sense. If they did make a character playable, they would have to get permission to use the voice actor's audio clips in the game. That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.
Yep. Note that sometimes characters are silent because they can't actually get the voice actor alone. Others can be a choice. There's things like union laws too. That's why Cloud has only his Japanese voice. And then there's some who never changed, like Donkey Kong. He's kept his animal sounds for a long time(though that could be a Sakurai choice, since that's a thing from Donkey Kong Country and later spin-off Mario games. It's an iconic voice for him too, really).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's look at it this way, at least most of the songs we got aren't in Midi format. :ulthero:

Also, isn't material formerly used by DiC technically in a licensing minefield? This is most likely why the SatAM and AoSTH characters were rarely seen outside of the Archie comic, for one.

That being said, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth it speaks a lot about Sak's clout when Sega actually allowed him to outright kill Sonic onscreen (and not be immediately restored) after the backlash from 06 scared them off from doing that kind of stunt again (merely having Sonic temporarily defeated in later games). I have no doubt that they would allow him and Nintendo to use more Sonic characters as playable after that, should the opportunity ever arise, especially after the unthinkable just happened. :ultsephiroth: It would be strange to just sell Tails and Knuckles as Mii costumes forever when there's more profit potential in extra characters.

Meanwhile, the series has reverted back to relying on a comic for the foreseeable future until they eventually figure out what to do with it. Gee, why does that sound familiar...? :ultmegaman:

At any rate, there are times when character support is really the best solution in regards to giving them a proper showing after a long period of underuse. Just look at the case studies of :ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie:. Their demand was so strong that it basically shook the core of the very companies that owns them (or at least just Nintendo's).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At any rate, there are times when character support is really the best solution in regards to giving them a proper showing after a long period of underuse. Just look at the case studies of :ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie:. Their demand was so strong that it basically shook the core of the very companies that owns them (or at least just Nintendo's).
Imagine the fan demand for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash shaking up the core of Microsoft headquarters and shocking the higher ups of one of the biggest corporations in the world lol! That would be funny. But in K. Rool's case, it sounds realistic since Nintendo is fully a gaming company.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thought about another trailer for Tails.

It goes like:

We get a glimpse at the background of GHZ.

You can hear a battle going on, but you can't see it.
The screen starts zooming out, but you can still catch a glimpse of Silver hovering across the loop.

Now you finally see Sonic fighting Mario and Luigi.
By now you see Knuckles running across the loop.

Sonic barely manages to fend off the brothers after a couple of exchanges.

Now you can see Tails in the BG running through the loop. Only this time he stops once he's down.
He looks at the screen where the action is going on.

Sonic is still struggling.
Knuckles runs back to see what's holding tails up. Tails points at Sonic, Knuckles looks, then back at Tails.
Knuckles nods before jumping and extending his hand to the air. Tails jumps in ball for, Knuckles throws him toward the screen with all his might.

Just as Luigi is grabbing Sonic and Mario is charging a Fsmash, Tails lands with a explosive clash, slamming Mario on the screen "glass".

[Tails crash lands in the battle zone]

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
At any rate, there are times when character support is really the best solution in regards to giving them a proper showing after a long period of underuse.
Do Tails and Knux's playable appearances in Mania even count as "a long period of underuse"?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do Tails and Knux's playable appearances in Mania even count as "a long period of underuse"?
A fairly brief instance of the "rule" being bent, seeing as much of Mania's staff were fans of the series in the first place. I figure that Christian Whitehead/HeadCannon/PagodaWest were simply told to "make a classic-styled Sonic" and they had carte blanche over the rest (as the Classic games are generally treated as a completely separate entity from the Modern ones and it was an anniversary game anyways). Although the Phantom Ruby concept was probably going to be planned for both it and Forces to begin with regardless.

Meanwhile, Mighty and Ray definitely were not used much overall at all (outside of the Archie comic) prior to the Plus version, seeing as they're strictly Classic characters.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
if a sonic character were to get in what stage should they come with?

i would go with:

Tails - Chemical Plant/Casino Night
Knuckles - Angel Island/Sky Sanctuary
Shadow - Radical Highway
Eggman - Death Egg
Amy - Twinkle Park
Silver - Crisis City
Metal Sonic - Stardust Speedway

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Imagine if Sonic EXE was in Ultimate lmao! Just a joke, but it's funny to think about. Imagine Kefka's 16-bit laugh being in the game:

Once again Sonic.EXE's circumstances are similar to Geralt's (Witcher). Sonic.EXE originated from a creepypasta, which is considered literature. However, just like Geralt and Strider Hiryu, Sonic.EXE became a videogame character via becoming primarily recognized as a videogame character through fangames.

For now, I think its safe to assume that fanmade characters are eligible for Smash as long as they are of videogame origin or are primarily recognized as videogame characters. I would love to see Sonic.EXE as a deluxe mii costume.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Once again Sonic.EXE's circumstances are similar to Geralt's (Witcher). Sonic.EXE originated from a creepypasta, which is considered literature. However, just like Geralt and Strider Hiryu, Sonic.EXE became a videogame character via becoming primarily recognized as a videogame character through fangames.

For now, I think its safe to assume that fanmade characters are eligible for Smash as long as they are of videogame origin or are primarily recognized as videogame characters. I would love to see Sonic.EXE as a deluxe mii costume.
But a Sonic EXE costume would scare the kids.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
But a Sonic EXE costume would scare the kids.
LOL! I know, but we already have gotten horror game representation in Smash. Tecmo's underknown horror game series Fatal Frame has an assist trophy, and Capcom got some Resident Evil spirits as well. And for a Sonic.EXE deluxe mii costume they could just simply tone it down by removing the blood.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
LOL! I know, but we already have gotten horror game representation in Smash. Tecmo's underknown horror game series Fatal Frame has an assist trophy, and Capcom got some Resident Evil spirits as well. And for a Sonic.EXE deluxe mii costume they could just simply tone it down by removing the blood.
But da eyes though LMAO!

Quillion

Smash Hero
For now, I think its safe to assume that fanmade characters are eligible for Smash as long as they are of videogame origin or are primarily recognized as videogame characters
I've seen you post this on several threads, and I can't say I agree.

Even if Sakurai wanted fanmade characters, the third-party companies wouldn't want them in. Even Nintendo wouldn't want first-party characters in.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Even if Sakurai wanted fanmade characters, the third-party companies wouldn't want them in. Even Nintendo wouldn't want first-party characters in.
Well Megalovania was originally used for an unofficial Earthbound mod, and the song is included in Smash. Thus, fanmade/unofficial characters are still eligible for smash.

But da eyes though LMAO!
Sonic.EXE isn't owned by Sega, he belongs to JC the Hyena. It wouldn't be much trouble to get the rights to include Sonic.EXE.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well Megalovania was originally used for an unofficial Earthbound mod, and the song is included in Smash. Thus, fanmade/unofficial characters are still eligible for smash.

Sonic.EXE isn't owned by Sega, he belongs to JC the Hyena.
But Megalovania became a official video game song when it was put into Undertale though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Besides, Super Smash Flash fans weren't exactly thrilled when the first game got OCs.

Not to mention that getting the creators' permission would be tough anyways, finding specific fans is a needle in a haystack.

At that point, it would be much less of a hassle to just get the Rookie from Forces and call it a day.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Big agree.
That being said I wouldn't be opposed to a Sonic.EXE spirit as long as the creator got royalties. I honestly think that would be pretty great.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
The fanmade character is a real big ol' stretch. I could see if they had the popularity angle, but even then, the only requirement is to have starred in a videogame. It's safe to say that their chances are better left to other platform fighters.

Realistically, you have 4 options for a new Sonic rep: Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow. Anybody else has their chances diminished because of these characters' entire existence and fan support.

And no, Sonic.EXE will never be in Smash. Although if SEGA does want another Ken Penders situation, I could always use a good laugh at JC getting hired.

Quillion

Smash Hero
As far as I see it, Eggman's current best shot is if Sega decided to use Smash as a back-up plan in case their plans for Sonic's 30th fall through somehow.
It would be a win-win whether a 30th anniversary plan falls through or not. If it goes through, it's a good cross-promotion. If it falls through, at least something good is coming out of the Sonic series around that time.

Of course, IIRC, Sega has more franchises represented through playable characters than the other third-party companies. Maybe they'll go for another just to keep that record, like Kiryu or Arle.

Come to think of it, it is pretty surreal that Sega is making this big comeback with their non-Sonic franchises. This could be the start of their renaissance since they quit making consoles.

Top Bottom