• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's next for Low Tiers?

TheGoat

Smash Ace
This is what happens.
1. People say low tiers suck
2. Like right now, people are discovering amazing **** with low tiers and people are getting their hopes up
3. As these characters see more play, people actually learn how to fight them, exploit their fundamental flaws using top tier characters, and low tiers blow once again. :D

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
This is what happens.
2. Like right now, people are discovering amazing **** with low tiers and people are getting their hopes up
3. As these characters see more play, people actually learn how to fight them, exploit their fundamental flaws using top tier characters, and low tiers blow once again. :D
or.....people find out they they don't have has bad of fundemental flaws as once thought and stay mid tier like pikachu

j00t

Smash Champion
I'm gonna make Genesis 3 (lol) brackets with Game and Watch. Calling it now.

Oracle

Smash Master
A lot of mid/low characters are too overlooked simply because we put them in that tier. They all have niche roles and good aspects; it's just a matter of playing with the right mindset and style to minimize the negative aspects and maximize the positive. Axe takes advantage of all the little things about pikachu and pushes him to the limits, utilizing things like his quick up air and positionable recovery to their maximum potential.

thehotelambush

Smash Rookie
This is what happens.
Yeah, basically. This is what I think. Early on people discover what are the best characters (the top tiers having remained fairly constant since the early days of smash), thus leading people to develop the top-tier metagame far beyond the low-tier metagame and making low tiers impossible to use in tourney. But now you could argue the top-tier metagame is stabilizing, which creates an opportunity for developing the underdeveloped low-tier metagame. Eventually that will stabilize too, BUT in the end the metagame as a whole may turn out to be a lot more balanced character-wise than you might have previously thought (think smash 64).

rhan

Smash Hero
roy can 1 shot jigglypuff

he can also grab a crouching jiggs.

faster shuffl, fire, main kill is up-throw. What more could you want?
CAN.

It's not a guarantee. Jiggs DI the reverse up B either up on impact or into the rest of the up B.

It's much harder for Roy to DI Jiggs' rest.

Pi

Smash Hero
it's gaurantee'd if the jiggs is like off the ground on other stages too..

but yea, roy is really bad lol, but i still think he can do it

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Pikachu has the best CG on FFers in the game, which is pretty good.

He also has some of the best gimps and edgeguard setups.

rhan

Smash Hero
My friend who plays Link beat a really good Zelda.

In his 2nd round pool.

Zelda is so good but she got ****ed up and forced to make a sammich.

<3 Zone.

Zone

Smash Champion
My friend who plays Link beat a really good Zelda.

In his 2nd round pool.

Zelda is so good but she got ****ed up and forced to make a sammich.

<3 Zone.
Lmao is your friend S-man??

Lord HDL beat me 2-1 in round 1 pools also. His link is gross

Zone

Smash Champion
Best friend. lol

We're also team partners.
I definitely thought about holding A when he went link. If I did that pretty sure vro woulda beat him out of pools instead of S-man I think, or they woulda been tied.

LatexRhombus

Smash Journeyman
low tiers performing well isn't really a new thing and since tier list is based on character potential rather than individually 1337 players playing as a them and ******. as always player skill > character tier list position.

if these characters are just lagging behind in their development as opposed to the "well-developed" characters (fox, sheik (lol), etc) then they will get a larger proportion of people to perform well with them at a high comptetive level (which would be great, imo, but at this point (so many years into the metagame) i find it hard to believe that any big changes would be made in the latest tier list in the NEAR future)

so what's next for low tiers? 2 possibitites--1) develop and ultimately leave their low tier-hood behind them or 2) fail to do that on a big enough scale and remain where they are or even fall lol

edit: bored in class and trying to say something on track that might get a reply lol

rhan

Smash Hero
I definitely thought about holding A when he went link. If I did that pretty sure vro woulda beat him out of pools instead of S-man I think, or they woulda been tied.
You know the guy (Crystalnite) that almost beat HDL as Sheik and Kels? That's his Cousin. lmaooo

He actually knows how to fight against Sheik more then he does Zelda. And he can 2/3 stock Crystalnite's Sheik at times. I'm sure that's something he was expecting the first round when he played his space animal. lol

Zone

Smash Champion
You know the guy (Crystalnite) that almost beat HDL as Sheik and Kels? That's his Cousin. lmaooo

He actually knows how to fight against Sheik more then he does Zelda. And he can 2/3 stock Crystalnite's Sheik at times. I'm sure that's something he was expecting the first round when he played his space animal. lol
But but... I can chain grab him:(

He unchanged from link game 3 to avoid sheik pick

rhan

Smash Hero
Oh lmaoooo I stuck around for the end of the 1st game through the 2nd then I had to go back to my pool.

You'll be able to redeem yourself on my Young Link when I come down to FL in Aug. ;)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I told you guys already, it's the amount of love you have that will enable you to unlock the potential of the character of your choosing.. of course it's the player that makes the most difference, tier list means little.

LowFatHat

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has been mentioned already. I haven't read through much, aside from the OP.

I think that people focus too much on character limitations than their own limitations. I think people look to the tier list thinking they can only be good with certain characters.

I think a LOT of characters are underplayed simply because of the current metagame. People think they have to play a techskill happy fox or a tilt happy sheik.

The way that pros play isn't necessarily the best, it's just the most developed, most effective one in the metagame right now. I'm a firm believer that with enough experience from the majority of low tier characters, a person could be really good. I think it's really just the dedication any individual has to work to be good.

I think people who are good and play low tiers are good because they LIKE playing those characters. Axe loves playing pikachu. He's comfortable with him. So while pika, and other low tiers are so hard to actually be good with, people who WANT to play that character can still reach unbelievable levels, just because of how far people have went with this game.

I think low tiers are in general underrated and misunderstood. I'm just glad people are out there trying to step it up, and show people that a tier list isn't a final decision in character strength.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Sorry if this has been mentioned already. I haven't read through much, aside from the OP.

I think that people focus too much on character limitations than their own limitations. I think people look to the tier list thinking they can only be good with certain characters.

I think a LOT of characters are underplayed simply because of the current metagame. People think they have to play a techskill happy fox or a tilt happy sheik.

The way that pros play isn't necessarily the best, it's just the most developed, most effective one in the metagame right now. I'm a firm believer that with enough experience from the majority of low tier characters, a person could be really good. I think it's really just the dedication any individual has to work to be good.

I think people who are good and play low tiers are good because they LIKE playing those characters. Axe loves playing pikachu. He's comfortable with him. So while pika, and other low tiers are so hard to actually be good with, people who WANT to play that character can still reach unbelievable levels, just because of how far people have went with this game.

I think low tiers are in general underrated and misunderstood. I'm just glad people are out there trying to step it up, and show people that a tier list isn't a final decision in character strength.
Ya I agree with that, it's a good thing to add after what I've said. =P

N64

Smash Champion
I dont understand why everyone doesnt play pikachu.

I actually do, but to me it just feels like he's easily the most fun char out there. I'm sure thats true for most low tier mains (and many high tier mains) and their char of choice.

As far as imo what low tiers have ahead, theres still plenty of room for pikachu improvement and creativity. He just has too much situational interesting stuff.

Also, if veterans of the game keep playing then i expect to see more of a rise of low tier secondaries coming out for some high tier matchups. Yl for jiggs/peach, pika for falcon/spacies, dk for marths, etc. The low tiers might not inherently have the advantage in those matchups, but as people have more time to invest into secondaries, they can learn evenish matchups and use their matchup experience to gain an advantage against their opponent.

AXE 09

Smash Master

This post pretty much sums up my thoughts :)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I have always loved Ylink <3 fav character I mained him way back in 06. Caveman, Wak <3

Cactuar needs to go Roy in a national, and his G&W is sick too.

Also, Pichu is a good character.

Top Bottom