• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's in a Name? (And does it matter?)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
One of the most fun things about Smash Bros used to be the names. This was really only true for Melee and Brawl (whose names ironically reflect the art of the gameplay within each pretty well). So in part, what are your thoughts on that?

But, more specifically, here is my actual question which is less fun and actually has been bothering me since the NX.
I find this "is it a port debate" pretty crazy. What, EXACTLY and SPECIFICALLY, is the difference between a heavily modified game and a sequel?

Can it still be a port if many of the characters get a huge moveset makeover, but they all return?
Can it still be a port if many of the characters are not in the base game but available for free DLC to stream along? What about if its paid?
Is it a port if it has all the features of Smash 3ds and Wii U, but a severely altered fighting engine?

What is in a name? Pokken was a port that gave us very little extra. Mario Kart 8 was a port and it gave us a lot more. Splatoon was a sequel that dished out majority of the first games content as DLC with majority of the differences being added story and minorly altered gameplay mechanics.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
This is a really interesting and well-worded topic, so props to that!

To say my piece, I think a big reason people want this game to be a new game rather than a port is because it adds more fuel to the hype and speculation. If Nintendo were to come out and say, “we’re relasing Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, with some additional content”, people would be excited... but the majority of us here have already played Smash 4. We know the characters, we know the modes, we know the trophies and music and stages... h*ck, even the menus are familiar. If this were a port, even a port with new content, things might feel a little different, but things would look the same. Whereas if this was a new game, even if it’s like Splatoon 2 in that it’s very similar to it’s predecessor, it would feel like a new experience to a lot of us, and of course, it gives us more to be hopeful for as we wait for launch.

I’m not the best writer so forgive me if I’m not really making a strong point. But I think the reason I want this to be a new game, and why I think many others do as well, is because we want something brand new to talk about, not just a fresh coat of paint on something we’ve been playing for the past 4 years.

Morbi

Scavenger
The difference is more or less just expectation. If it was a "hard" port, most people were speculating it would come with Smash Run, all stages, and a couple of characters. If this is indeed a "soft" port using the same engine and assets, that is fine, I doubt anyone will mind in the slightest because with that comes a fresh slate. The potential for up to a dozen characters, at least when DLC is done, and another chance for modes that missed Smash 4 such as break the targets or an adventure/SSE type experience. New stages to represent their favorite games that have come out since (namely Breath of the Wild and Odyssey). In general, most games survive just by updating content. League of Legends, Overwatch, etc. Smash 4 could have done that, but the inherent issue was that it was on the Wii U. It would be awkward to re-release the game as a port and then continue development as if two years had not already passed.

So, the name is honestly not material, whether it is or is not a port is also irrelevant. People just want them to treat it as a new game because with that comes more content than we would reasonably expect otherwise.

Last edited:

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
If it's a new game it gives more hope that everything you personally dislike about it could be fixed. Major changes are less likely to occur with a port. For example, I personally dislike the RAGE system. I would prefer if it was completely removed and characters were changed accordingly so that you wouldn't have to rack up 200% dmg to KO. Now, if the game is a "port" I have no faith that rage will be removed. It is extremely likely to stay as will the fast shield recharge rate and low endlag on airdodging (just my opinion). But if it's a "new" game they will be more likely to make major alterations.
However, a port rarely removes content. This means characters, stages, music, modes that people like are very likely to stick around. Things like 3rd party or less popular characters are in general more likely to repeat an appearance. Obviously Mario and some form of Link and Kirby will be in the game either way. But if you are a Duck Hunt main you might actually be rooting for a port instead of a new game.
In summation I think the big difference between sequel and port is the core game mechanics are very likely to stay to same with a port. Even at a casual level there were big changes from one smash game to the next. Melee added side special moves and Brawl changed air dodges, Sm4sh changed ledge mechanics and each added more characters, music, etc. A port would likely stay fundamentally very similar but simply add content and address the biggest complaints (i.e. they might nerf Bayo but they ain't buffing Puff).

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
If it is a brand new game then, to me, that means 'made from the ground up'. This implies several things:

1. The engine will be different
2. All previous additions (characters, stages, music, game modes and even DLC) get re-evaluated

Thus, as mentioned before, major changes are possible. I personally don't like Smash 4 much, so to me this will make a big difference.

Khao

Smash Lord
Whatever's your expectation, it's good to remember that every single Smash game (except possibly Melee) reused content from the previous entry. We don't know precisely to what extent, but they don't start from absolute 0 with each new release.

With all the talk of port vs new game, I'm already fully expecting to see people calling this new game a port even if it's clearly as different from Sma4sh as Sm4sh was from Brawl, and Brawl was from Melee (and ironically, you could see people calling Sm4sh "Brawl 2.0" and Brawl "Melee 2.0" when they were each first revealed. That's mentality's probably going to become stronger than ever).

Either way, when it comes to Smash, "made from the ground up" doesn't really mean much.

As for the line between a port and a new game? You'd have to look no further than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe vs Splatoon 2. Mario Kart 8, obviously, is the same game with a few extra features. Splatoon 2, however, while clearly based on the first game and sharing engines, reworked almost all systems, modes, weapons, has new menus, entirely different music, environments, models and a new story. Again, clearly based on the first game, but it different enough so that you'd have to be insane to call it "the same game".

I'm fully expecting 5mash to be a Splatoon 2, and I think that expecting a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe makes no freaking sense whatsoever at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom