• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's gonna happen to all of the amiibo of the characters getting cut? And just amiibo in general?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Will they be rendered unable to function in the new smash game? Or will they have some sort of functionality? Will we get amiibo of the newcomers/returning characters:popo: as well?

Morbi

Scavenger
That is genuinely a great question. GameXplain talked about it a bit in their reaction to Smash video. Whether or not we would get an entire re-release of the existing amiibo, or if they would make new versions of the existing amiibo, or if they would just focus on filling in the gaps to give us female Robin or Koopalings. They might just make them for newcomers only. I am not sure. Breath of the Wild Link makes me feel as though they will just use the opportunity to launch Smash 2.0 amiibo for most, if not all, characters. Samus seems to be back in a more "Prime-esque" costume and Bowser's silhouette is apparently slightly different as well, according to my sister who knows a lot more about Bowser than I do. So it is not unreasonable to suspect that many characters have slightly different designs.

Beyond that, amiibo, as a concept, came after the Smash splash art and they decided to use those poses for figures which created a lot of need for the extra base. The weird colored plastic holding up action posses. This time around, Sakurai can make the art a bit more standard which will enhance the figure quality by quite a bit, to say the least.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If the character isn't in the game, I wouldn't expect them to have a function.

I'm fed up with Amiibo. So long as the Amiibo are just there for something minor like getting coins, an extra stock in the campaign mode, dropping an item, or some other assist to help newbies, I don't mind their inclusion.
Please don't lock content behind them Sakurai. Don't be like the other devs.
Fortunately for me, my friend has just about every Amiibo there is so I've been able to experience the Amiibo content, but I know that a lot of people are missing out on fun things like costumes in Mario Kart, extra levels in Shovel Knight, etc... just because they don't want a toy and just want the game content, but the devs choose not to put it on the eshop.
If Amiibo do provide some additional content that unobtainable otherwise, I would hope that I would be able to download it from the eshop as payed DLC.

This time around, Sakurai can make the art a bit more standard which will enhance the figure quality by quite a bit, to say the least.
I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't keep cashing in on the Amiibo. I fully expect another set of Amiibo for each Sma5h character. Heck, we still don't have Master Hand amiibo.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only time amiibo was done right was Smash 4... and that was only because amiibo were invented just for Smash 4.

The non-Smash amiibo felt tacked on in other games.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like we'll probably get a new line of Smash amiibo (with both newcomers and returning veterans), but the previous line will work just as well. (plenty of games have one character's amiibos function the same way regardless of which version it is - take Mario Odyssey, where the Bowser amiibo's ability to find Purple Coins works regardless of if it's Smash, Mario, Skylanders, Odyssey, etc.)

Games like Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon are still getting amiibo support, and it's being added to games like Bayonetta 2 and Skyrim, so I can't see Smash Bros. dropping it.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Well, I hope everyone from 3DS/Wii U comes back, for starters. But in the event that someone does get cut, I just assume that the amiibo won't be functional in the game.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
amiibo of characters only in Smash 4 will still work in Smash 4, and there's many games that support all amiibo generically or specific Smash ones. If nothing else, they'll always work in that game even if they don't return.

Maybe they'll implement some Mii costumes of cut characters from Sm4sh unlockable via amiibo? I think that would be cool, personally. The ability to unlock trophies based on amiibo would also be neat.

amiibo in general won't go anywhere for a while. As far as I know they sell well, they have a lot of fans and are still useful in many games. If you ask me, I think Nintendo should make their own F2P amiibo-based game, similar to how Skylanders and Disney Infinity did. Just in a more 'Nintendo' way.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they are usable. I don't know if I can picture nintendo releasing another set for every character AGAIN. But if they do, that's really going to murder my wallet... again...

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
They can always make those particular amiibo just unlock that particular character’s normal trophy, a stage or even a music track.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If they are in the game they will likely remain usable, only when they are cut, if they are since port vs new game is still in the air.

So it depends on a lot of future info on who remains and to what extent this new game is a port or not.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Nintendo still makes amiibo. And those suckers still sell out, as BOTW and Samus returns proved last year.

New smashers will get new amiibo.

And old smashers will either be reissued, reissued with a slight cosmetic change, or a new edition using their all star trophies or something.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
They’ll most likely start over with a brand-new line if Smash amiibo. Hardcore fans and collectors would certainly double-dip.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If they do I will trash all of my smash amiibo
Why? The Smash for Wii U/3DS amiibo would still work with Smash 5, if basically every other game with amiibo functionality is any indication.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I mean new fighter poses and models could be a decent excuse for new amiibo. I think all old amiibo will have some functionality. Perhaps ones of removed characters can give us some custom moves or gear if that returns or just something along those lines.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
If they do I will trash all of my smash amiibo
On the bright side, Nintendo has gotten much better at making amiibo so the new line would certainly look better than Smash 4’s initial amiibo waves. No more of the likes of Merth, Aik and deformed humanoid characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On the bright side, Nintendo has gotten much better at making amiibo so the new line would certainly look better than Smash 4’s initial amiibo waves. No more of the likes of Merth, Aik and deformed humanoid characters.
That just reminds me that at least Marth's face got fixed in the reprints.

Poor Ike wasn't so lucky...

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Ike didn’t get lucky enough to get a reprint so we ended up stuck with Aik. With a new Smash amiibo line, poor Ike could actually get a decent amiibo.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Cut characters will probably do nothing, unless they’re directly related to another character.

Doc for example is “Mario > Doctor” in the code. So if there’s no Doc then it’ll act like Mario, like in most games. Dark Pit is probably similar.

Meanwhile if oh say Ryu gets cut then it just won’t work at all. Nintendo couldn’t even make Ryu give a Fighter ability in Kirby, so...

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I hope they consider some amiibo characters that aren't in Smash yet. Make some of them playable like Inkling or have Mii outfits unlocked by the respective amiibo.

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
paperweights might not be paperweights anymore, but man smash 4's way to saving data to them was BUTTS. should really be that touching the amiibo for the first time creates a file, then that file gets altered the more the data plays. then that data gets copied to the amiibo on subsequent touches so you can take it with you

Top Bottom