• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Hey guys, sorry for the small off-topic post here, but I just have a quick question and didn't want to make a new thread on it. I just checked the Brawl blog and saw they confirmed Zelda, who is a new character. Now, I don't really want all the new characters revealed to me before the game is released...in fact, I'm kind of wishing I didn't know about Zelda right now.

Should I stop checking the site?

EDIT:
A Diamond For Disease said:
Why is everyone saying that this update rules out shiek did i miss something?
I think people are saying that because the update was Shiekless, combined with the fact that, in Twilight Princess (the game on which both Link and Zelda's art is based), Shiek never appears. It dosn't really rule out Shiek for certain, but the odds are very much against her right now.

Also, look at Zamus' fighing in the November video. She really looks like she ate Shiek's moveset for breakfast.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
uh...wow freakin amazing update! i had to do a double take this morning! zelda looks amazing in her pics. and as an added bonus, we are still getting more screen shots of Zamus. so having two hot chicks in one pic makes for an even better update!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
either way i really don't expect a character update for a while. i mean we've had character updates 7 days in a row. what are the odds of that?

EDIT: sorry forgot friday was a stage update. so i guess 7 updates in less than 2 weeks. that's amazing!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Falco sounds good because he is my main but we need Yoshi or D.Kong now. They will probably get confirmed before Falco any day but I am not sure about Ganondorf.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
Now there's been updates for both characters that could change into other characters that we've heard about, Samus and Zelda, and not the slightest mention of how they change (or if they change). There will probably be a whole update about just that some day.

I do suspect that Zelda no longer transforms into Sheik, which only really leaves the possibility of Sheik being her own character. However, considering Zero Suit Samus looks to have Sheik's moveset, one of two unpopular conclusions that can be drawn from that.
A.) Sheik is out, or
B.) There's clones.
The only other possibility is Sheik having a new moveset, which is unlikely since there's nothing new to base it off of, since she was only in one game, and her fighting style was completely invented for the character. Basically, it's bad news for Sheik fans or all the people that go crazy when anybody even implys that there might be clones in Brawl.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I asked first!

Yes, I disliked her in Melee.
I hate that her presence ****ed up and overshadowed Zelda, I hate the bleedingly obvious overpoweredness, and so on.
And I hate how people want her to return, because I strongly DOUBT that many people here really liked the character as such.
In Brawl, she'd just take the spot of far more interesting characters and as a transformation again would probably just hinder Zelda once more.
Watch it, Fawriel. I happen to actually enjoy Sheik as a character and not just as a tool for ultimate destruction. That little twist in OoT was kinda neat, to say the least. I thought that Zelda was just gonna get captured again (like she always does) at the beginning of the game. Alas, she pops up later as a Ninja with a harp---and then gets captured. At the time, I had already played SSB 64 and I wondered what it would be like to play as that particular incarnation of Zelda.

Then Melee came out and answered my question a year or two later.

*pumps his fist in a futile effort to intimidate Fawriel. Unfortunately, he ends up looking like a nerd rather than some beefy powerhouse threatening to whoop his sorry ***.*

I will agree with you on a couple of your points, however. Yeah, Sheik is a bit overpowered in some areas (not all; I don't believe Sheik is completely broken. Immense skill trumps all of her strengths at times, meaning that a crappy Sheik can go ahead and spam tilts all day---that semi-pro to pro Fox is still gonna tear her to shreds). I also agree that Sheik's importance to the Smash cast as a whole is nonexistent now. There are better characters to throw into this awesome game.

Smooth Criminal

burrito

Smash Lord
Wow, I was pretty surprised to see Zelda. I think Sheik probably wont return, Zelda is better off without Sheik, anyway.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Hey guys, sorry for the small off-topic post here, but I just have a quick question and didn't want to make a new thread on it. I just checked the Brawl blog and saw they confirmed Zelda, who is a new character. Now, I don't really want all the new characters revealed to me before the game is released...in fact, I'm kind of wishing I didn't know about Zelda right now.

Should I stop checking the site?

EDIT:

I think people are saying that because the update was Shiekless, combined with the fact that, in Twilight Princess (the game on which both Link and Zelda's art is based), Shiek never appears. It dosn't really rule out Shiek for certain, but the odds are very much against her right now.

Also, look at Zamus' fighing in the November video. She really looks like she ate Shiek's moveset for breakfast.

After E-3, I think you should stop checking the site. Then again, I think Sakurai will let us know when the spoilers will come. I do know, when the spoiler breakout starts, you won't hear from me in a while.

Maybe I can send a private message when the spoilers get loose?

A Diamond For Disease

Smash Journeyman

Also, look at Zamus' fighing in the November video. She really looks like she ate Shiek's moveset for breakfast.[/QUOTE]

Yea I guess that makes sense.

NukeA6

Smash Master

Yea I guess that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what the naysayers are gonna say when they see Sheik confirmed. Same for those who say that Ridley is too big for Brawl.

Kirye

Smash Ace
I still don't get why everyone's ruling out Sheik.

You're not Sakurai, you don't work in the team. You don't know what's gonna happen, and nothing's been confirmed. Zelda's in Brawl, it doesn't say anything about Sheik, okay, in Samus' profile it doesn't say anything about Zamus.

So what do you do, wait and see.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Someone should post a Zelda comparison pic from Melee and Brawl.

Her design is awesome, although I was kinda disappointed that the only move they really revealed was her stupid down kick.

I was hoping she would get a few new moves (like Fox and Captain Falcon) to spice up her moveset. Some attacks were a bit lacking in the visual department.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Watch it, Fawriel.
[long post]
Smooth Criminal
Nooooo! I upset a respectable poster!

Seriously though, no offense. I have a short fuse about some things, like Young Link or the subject of Sheik's inclusion, and obviously I start generalizing to make a point. You ever notice how when a few people in a thread hold a certain view, someone comes along commenting that "everyone" shares that view? I guess that's just the way the human mind works.
I generally don't judge people, I only comment ( rant ) about actions that I perceive as wrong, among which are playing a character just because they have a clear advantage in almost all situations.
But since you're apparently one of the few people who actually like Sheik as a character, I guess you weren't even the target of my endless rants.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
People saying Sheik is pretty much out because of this update. I don;t see how they can come up with such a conclusion. TP follows the timeline of OoT. The Zelda is the same, the Ganondorf is the same. The reason you have a different Link in TP is because at the end of OoT he was sent back into his childhood. So the future ending (1 of the 2 endings of OoT) has Zelda, a sealed Ganon (who was apparently sealed in the Twilight Realm) and NO Link. So the game follows a herder who becomes the new hero.

The pictures show Zelda with no new moves. Keeping her moveset only increases the chances of her having the same downB. She is fully capable of changing into her alter-ego simply because she is the same Zelda from OoT.

If she is cut from Brawl, it will be because of other reasons, and not because of plot conflict issues. I fail to see why Sheik would be cut otherwise.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I think Sheik is out. She was my main and one of my favorite characters from OoT, but I tthink she's not coming back. TP allowed Zelda to become more of her own character, and it may reflect that in Brawl.

Too bad Zeldas still got her magical moveset. I was hoping for some sword action form TP.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
@dmtmanga: Um, no. The Zelda in TP is not the same zelda in OoT. Both the Link and Zelda are different in that game, only Ganondorf never changes.

Though Smash has never really cared about Cannon concerning movesets, so I agree people are jumping the gun a bit too soon.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Um, no. The Zelda in TP is not the same zelda in OoT. Both the Link and Zelda are different in that game, only Ganondorf never changes.

Though Smash has never really cared about Cannon concerning movesets, so I agree people are jumping the gun a bit too soon.
Have u ever tried to put the Zelda games into a timeline, and fit them together. U'd be amazed at how well they fit. TP does follow OoT's future ending.

RDK

Smash Hero
Originally Posted by Chill
So Zelda's final smash would be...?
Spread 'Em!

No, jk. That Triforce explosion like in TP would be pretty sweet...

Yeah, but I would totally welcome here pulling out the sword and having a secondary moveset revolving around that instead of having Sheik back...

Somehow, I think if Sheik is gone, the world will be a better place (no cheap chainthrows, other Sheik annoyances, etc.).

Again; who knows? Sakurai is a man with big sleeves, and many tricks up those sleeves.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
dmt......... that's not right. It's the same Ganondorf ( always is ), but it's not the same Zelda. Believe me. It isn't.

Wow, I can actually cite a source. Thank you, Wikipedia!

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=7164eddd-2039-4944-920b-d0731be99e05
Scroll down, it's the fourth paragraph.
Interesting source. Hadn't seen that before. Thanks. It doesnt clearly say that its a different Zelda, but implies so by saying its decades after OoT that Zelda would be too old. Doesnt specify though, so the idea is still up in the air.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
People saying Sheik is pretty much out because of this update. I don;t see how they can come up with such a conclusion. TP follows the timeline of OoT. The Zelda is the same, the Ganondorf is the same. The reason you have a different Link in TP is because at the end of OoT he was sent back into his childhood. So the future ending (1 of the 2 endings of OoT) has Zelda, a sealed Ganon (who was apparently sealed in the Twilight Realm) and NO Link. So the game follows a herder who becomes the new hero.

The pictures show Zelda with no new moves. Keeping her moveset only increases the chances of her having the same downB. She is fully capable of changing into her alter-ego simply because she is the same Zelda from OoT.

If she is cut from Brawl, it will be because of other reasons, and not because of plot conflict issues. I fail to see why Sheik would be cut otherwise.
First off, we barely get any moves from those pictures so it is a completely bogus claim to say that she has the same moveset.

Secondly,
DIFFERENT LINK, DIFFERENT ZELDA. The hero of time is always reincarnated. If I hear someone "sound mindedly" try and convince me that the OoT Link is the one in TP because their the same age or look the same, I will lose faith in LoZ fanboys forever. Now it's become a personal thing for me. I pray with every ounce of me that when you pick Zelda first, and you go to press down-b, all you get is a light arrow.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
DIFFERENT LINK, DIFFERENT ZELDA. The hero of time is always reincarnated. If I hear someone "sound mindedly" try and convince me that the OoT Link is the one in TP because their the same age or look the same, I will lose faith in LoZ fanboys forever. Now it's become a personal thing for me. I pray with every ounce of me that when you pick Zelda first, and you go to press down-b, all you get is a light arrow.
Woah. Calm down there buddy. I never said the Link is the same. The Link in TP is most definitely an entirely new person. However TP takes place after OoT and before Windwaker. That is a FACT. No use denying it, since it was already announced by the developers. Looking at the context of the game, it sees however that TP takes place not very long after OoT.

Windwaker is about 100 years after OoT, as told by Eiji. Tp has not Great Flood, and the environmnet is reminiscent of OoT-time Hyrule and such. Might be the same Zelda, or that Zelda's daughter, but definitely one or the other. I'm simply guessing that it's the same Zelda, which is 1 of the 2 possibilities. Therefore, a possibility of Sheik's return exists.

That is all.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Seems odd that everyone is so quick to say that Zero suit and shiek have so similar moves. We've seen so few, and the most prominent move they showed us was Zamus repeatadly switching between gun mode and whip mode, which doesn't correlate to any of Shiek's moves at all. So, while Zamus might be replacing Shiek, they obviously won't be sharing their B moves, and I think the A moves will also be changing due to the whip.

GenG

Smash Lord
I pray with every ounce of me that when you pick Zelda first, and you go to press down-b, all you get is a light arrow.
I think it'll end being like this.

UpB: Farore Wind
DownB: Nayru Love
ForwardB: Din Fire
B: Light Arrows omg

dmtmanga said:
TP takes place after OoT and before Windwaker. That is a FACT. No use denying it, since it was already announced by the developers.
False, TP takes place after OOT (child ending) but doesn't have anything to do with WW. WW goes in the parallel timeline (adult ending) as Aonuma said in an interview.

Double post.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeah, I understand, it's just such an emotional topic for me. I basically main Sheik, but I hate when people jump the gun because of some fact they've twisted to satisfy their need for confirmation of their favorite character. There aren't any little hints in the update that would suggest Sheik, and if anything, the complete lack of Sheik in TP could suggest that if it is the TP Zelda (look at her and try to tell me she isn't) then she wouldn't be able to transform into Sheik. If it is indeed a different Zelda, wouldn't it be weird that since Impa was the last of the Sheikah (Though she does make an appearance in TP, she is quite elderly), the new Zelda wouldn't have much of an example of a Sheikah to mimic, not to mention that Zelda no longer had a need to guide Link in disguise as in OoT.

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I understand, it's just such an emotional topic for me. I basically main Sheik, but I hate when people jump the gun because of some fact they've twisted to satisfy their need for confirmation of their favorite character. There aren't any little hints in the update that would suggest Sheik, and if anything, the complete lack of Sheik in TP could suggest that if it is the TP Zelda (look at her and try to tell me she isn't) then she wouldn't be able to transform into Sheik. If it is indeed a different Zelda, wouldn't it be weird that since Impa was the last of the Sheikah (Though she does make an appearance in TP, she is quite elderly), the new Zelda wouldn't have much of an example of a Sheikah to mimic, not to mention that Zelda no longer had a need to guide Link in disguise as in OoT.
Agree at all points.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
If it is The OoT Zelda's daughter, the new Zelda, then indeed, there is no Sheik. If it is the same Zelda, there is a possibility of Sheik, although her not using it in TP means she probably wont have that transformation in Brawl. I'm not saying she definitely will have the transformation, nor am I saying she definitely wont. I'm just saying, there is no valid proof to support either claim as a fact.

And get your facts straight GenG. The Child Link after OoT is the same Link we see in the old school Zelda games Zelda 1 2 four swords and link to the past. The new and different Links are in the adult timeline, simply because there is no Link in that timeline after OoT.

This video might help you get a better idea as to what I;m saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXN1BF65WjI

It is mostly speculation, but that is because there isn't enough said by the developers to support the ideas. However the chronology of OoT, TP and Windwaker have been put together by an announcement from Eiji.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I doubt its OoTs zeldas daughter, seeing how TP takes place HUNDREDS of years after OoT, anyway gotta love the update, HA! I laugh at who said zelda wouldnt have her TP look, I LAUGH...

Could this mean whats in store for us this week or in the next ones? more confirmed character, we may get falcon, yoshi, dk, ganondorf!

And good ridance to sheik...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom