• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's everyone's opinion on the new tournament mode?

You're thoughts on tournament mode

• Total voters

V0LuG

Smash Rookie
It feels like this is just a preliminary/beta version to see how it goes and it will likely be updated later. However on the off chance that it won't be this was a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Offline tournament mode would be a great addition; and something I am, like many others here, surprised they didn't include at first. The ability for people to make their own 1v1 tournaments is another thing it really needs as well.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure all anyone really wanted from Tourney's is exactly what Regular tourneys are but it should be user created. The Mario Kart 8 style tourneys could be a fun way to play with friends and setup games as well but it doesn't stand up on its own as a tournament. Offline would be good as well (AI,Amiibo & players is a must in an offline mode). Basically, Nintendo is clueless when it comes to implementing simple features. They are great with new ideas and gameplay but as far as feature sets go, the competition is far and away better. Not even close
I'm still waiting for the amiibo for glory that will never happen

ZRK

Smash Rookie
So what are the most important changes you would like to see happen? Nintendo will probably want feedback and I assume they plan on updating this new mode.
To me the single most important required change is to allow 1v1 matches in user-created tournaments.
Then allow doubles in team (with an option to enable friendly fire).

These are the most important changes IMO.

However I'm absolutely not sure it will get an update, as there certainly is a reason as for why 1v1 is not allowed in the first place.

Last edited:

V0LuG

Smash Rookie
Alright, I got on a 1v1 Tourney as Falco.

I'll come back with impressions as soon as I finish, but it's looking bad judging from what I've read.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Things it needs, imo
-Offline option.
-Team Battles
-Better timing in for regular tourneys. This may fix itself as time goes by, we'll have to see
-Option to make 1v1 "Mario Kart style" point tourneys
-Option to make our own Regular tourneys. Failing that, at least make it adaptive. If all normal 1v1 Glory tourneys are full, have it make more instead of going in a set order
-More options in general. I want 3 player stamina Yoshi only tournaments goddamnit!
-But what it really needs is.....
*A connection error has occurred*

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I haven't installed the update but no offline mode means automatic flop in my book.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I guess it's slightly less horrible than For Glory, if only for the stage variety, but just as with FG, the abundance of godawful players just hurts it.

On a side note, no 60fps on the video? That's dumb.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Having no offline tournament mode is a big blow yet online tournaments are very limited in options:

No 1v1 lobby creation
No Team Battles
No Special Tournaments (as in like Special Smash Tournaments, not counting Stamina)

Plus, finding the tournament you want to play in is not easy as it might be full for what you may know and it can take hours just to join if that's the case and even if you do, if you join a tournament that eventually gets filled up, you still have to wait a bit because it doesn't start automatically. Also, pray to god that you're online connection doesn't crash or everyone in the match gets booted off....

Overall, tournament mode right now is a letdown. It is fun once you start playing, but it's such a tedious process to just play on one. And again, the lack of basic options and being online only make it borderline not worth playing. Here's hoping it they patch this mode and make it better, and please make it available offline considering this is Smash Bros., a series known for local multiplayer.

Last edited:

V0LuG

Smash Rookie
Well, so that's it. I actually won the tourney! My experience was good overall. I'd say it only needs some tweaks, but the flaws that need them are so flagrant that I don't even think that I'm gonna be playing the mode that much.

THE BAD

• Wait times for entering a tourney are ridiculous, I mean, 30 min of wait time for a 16 player tourney? REALLY? Why not start whenever 16 player have joined?
  • 3 minute time limit on games... I don't really understand why'd they do this when even for glory's ruleset is kind of acceptable, but THIS? I played 4 games on the tourney and 2 of them ended before time. Haven't they done any testing to know the average match lenght for 2 stocks? I mean, even 5 minutes is actually quite narrow.
  • There are so few official tourney rooms, and the long wait times make joining a tourney a BIG waste of time.
  • No rewards, that I know of, for winning the tourney. (Minor complaint)
THE GOOD

• They could easily fix it by letting us create 1v1 rooms and giving us more freedom when creating the ruleset, but they probably wont, we all know how this goes.
  • I didn't have any connection problems and no more than a slight lag with one of the players.

It could have been a much more competitive enviroment than FG is (duh), but as always it got ruined by its horrible execution.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
If a room is full, why not just go ahead and let it play? They fill up so quickly, and you end up with 64 people just sitting there for 20 minutes when they could be finishing the tourney and making room for another.

Newbarktown

Smash Cadet
I bit the bullet for a 1v1 no customs 64 man FG tournament and joined a 40 minute wait room. I come back 20 minutes later from a shower, and see "A connection error has occurred." Sucks right? Well I really wanted to try this out, so I did the same type of tourney but with customs on. Biggest mistake ever. I won R1 against a special spamming Ganon with like 5 seconds left and R2 was timed out by a Villager. 3 minutes Nintendo? Really? People get timed out with 6 minutes 2 stock. So now I'm waiting ANOTHER 40 minutes for one without customs, but even still, unless one player is drastically better than the other I can see most non-customs games going to time as well.

I'm not happy with the rules, I'm not happy with the wait, and I'm not happy with not being able to create a 1v1 Apex ruleset tourney. I want this to succeed, because the premise is cool, but it certainly won't at this rate.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
It's so hard to get into the tournament you want to play. I'v noticed that anyone who is any good won't use badges though... I fought one guy with badges and he sucked, prolly a lil kid. So hopefully "no badges" becomes a trend and people just ignore them. They honestly don't seem to help people much because they always drop another star.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
And then there is the moment of pure hatred when you enter a customs tourney and you see someone with healing equipment on

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
I am so disappointed that there isn't a option for double tourneys, or at least the possibility of two people that use the same Wii U to play in a tournament.

Also, why are there so little customization options for creating your own tournament?
Why can't I create a real regular tournament? Why can't I decide if it's 1v1, 2v2, free for all, etc. tourney? Why do I have to wait forever to find a normal regular tournament?

For something that they have worked on for so long and that we have been waiting months for, this is really lackluster and disappointing. I would have rather waited until the end of August if that meant that we would have had more options.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
The problem with the time limit + victory by damage is that it skews the results against heavies. So surviving at high percents isn't nearly as helpful when the opponent plays keepaway the last minute.

I understand that they wanted to avoid Sudden Death because there are ways to BS it and make it last a long time, and they don't want tourneys held up. But surely there is a more balanced solution?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm pretty confused by it, why is there 2 different sections, one being 'regular tornaments', and that's the difference with the .. lobby(?), is that it?
And why are there different rules available in each one, and why are there 1v1 in one but not the other?

Newbarktown

Smash Cadet
@ Teeb147 Teeb147 The regular tournaments are the Nintendo hosted ones with premade rules. The other ones are made by people and are custom (but at the same time are limited). We can't make a 1v1 Apex-style tournament, we can't even make doubles.

The closest thing we have to real tournament play is the Nintendo 1v1 no custom For Glory brackets, and those fill up within seconds and are a bo1 with a 3 minute timer and 2 stocks. You WILL be timed out if you play those, there's no way around it. It's a mess right now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's so weird that there's no option for 1v1 that you can create! Yet they allow it in the automated ones?
They're automatically created so that people can play tournaments without just using user created ones?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
1vs1 and 2vs2 bracketmaking is missing imo, and the option to have best of x number of matches in the bracket with counterpicking. Since the order of picking character and stage is how it is it might be alot of work for them to give us the oppoturnity to play with bans/striking though.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I was talking about this with a friend, and here's some of the complaints I had (I haven't tried any Regular Tournaments, so I can't speak for those):

• There is no way to ensure 1v1s. Every battle is a free-for-all, and the only way you can get a 1v1 is if only two players show up in the battle lobby within the time.
  • There are no brackets for that matter, either. You either win based on the number of wins you get, or the number of points (KOs) you get.
  • The rules you can set are pretty absurd. You can have customs on, but it has to be with equipment. You can also alter the launch rate, which is something nearly no one does. You can also set the tournament to 300% or Stamina, but there's no other Special Smash options, which is a huge missed opportunity for silly tourneys.
  • You can't prevent certain characters from coming in, so no "King Dedede only", "Fire Emblem characters only", "Low-tier only", etc. tourneys, which would surely be popular. You CAN still technically have these, but nothing is stopping someone from choosing a character you don't want in the tourney.
  • There is no way to disqualify participants in your own tournament. (I don't know if this is true, but a friend said it was.)
  • There's no counterpick system, or something like it. You also can't have players choose a stage, but only be allowed to pick from certain ones. You either have to deal with crazy stages like Palutena's Temple and Jungle Hijinx in "competitive" tournaments, or players get stages selected randomly, which on its own has several flaws.
  • You can't search for tournaments by name. Your only option is search by rules and hope the one you want comes up. Of course, considering so many tournaments will operate under the same rules, this is nearly useless.
  • You have a limit on the number of tournaments you can partake in. What's with Nintendo and all their limits?

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I am having a hard time understanding what Sakurai was trying to accomplish? What kind of positive experiences/feelings did he wish the main audience would get from this new tourney mode?

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
I am having a hard time understanding what Sakurai was trying to accomplish? What kind of positive experiences/feelings did he wish the main audience would get from this new tourney mode?
As usual, the same experiences that are made so the casual audience aren't too peeved and can have their fun that put them on the "same level" as more advanced players. Remember, not everyone who used the mode did it in a serious manner, and Sakurai himself still isn't a big supporter of Competitive gaming overall (In fact, the mode outright encourages bad gameplay habits because of how gimped the experience truly is)

Simply put, he did what he wanted (He is the developer, after all...that doesn't mean he isn't immune to criticism) and as such, we're stuck with a rather limited and lackluster mode that requires so much rebalancing and work to make it suitable that it's not even funny in the slightest.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
It's disappointing really, which is a shame. I was looking forward to having this mode, but it just could have been done so much better. It needs more settings and an offline mode. It looks really nice and it's easy enough to join a specific person's tournament, so I give it props in those regards..but the missing aspects are too major to ignore.

Ladyspiker

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6235-1432-1920
There's nothing more fun than waiting 20 minutes for a tournament and then getting kicked out because you can't connect to your partner.

Come on, Nintendo...

Even with that, I still enjoy it. It needs some major improvements, because it had the potential to be outstanding, compared to the usually lackluster online options for Nintendo games.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
If they make the tourneys start when the lobbies get full that would be nice. Also, I guess I'm the only one getting better opponents than the standard FG? Cause I just got knocked by a really good Ryu (arguably the hardest character to master) two tourneys in a row.

destronoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destronoma
Managed to get into a For Glory tournament, but the first match had a really bad connection, so I barely got to play.

Hopefully that isn't a constant thing with this patch.

Pelias26

Smash Rookie
As usual, the same experiences that are made so the casual audience aren't too peeved and can have their fun that put them on the "same level" as more advanced players. Remember, not everyone who used the mode did it in a serious manner, and Sakurai himself still isn't a big supporter of Competitive gaming overall (In fact, the mode outright encourages bad gameplay habits because of how gimped the experience truly is)

Simply put, he did what he wanted (He is the developer, after all...that doesn't mean he isn't immune to criticism) and as such, we're stuck with a rather limited and lackluster mode that requires so much rebalancing and work to make it suitable that it's not even funny in the slightest.
I love that he's doing something like this but at least allow the type of customization to the competitive players in "regular" mode as he gave the casual players with "tourney" mode. Or he could appeal to us all by just making offline tournaments....

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace

Ugh, I am really, really loathing this Sakurai now.

Doing what he wanted? To gain success, you should be doing what the people wanted!

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Honestly? For a mode everybody seems to hate, I enjoy it quite abit, and for now its my replacement to 1v1 (the only With Anyone mode I put a ton of time into).
I'll just throw my thoughts in a spoiler since I go into way too much detail on my opinion.
like:
+++ STOCK AND STAMINA!The best thing about the mode to me, and i'm surprised not to see more people mention this. After 2000 For Glory matches it feels amazing to finally have stock With Anyone on stages that aren't Final Destination 1-77. Stamina is something I always felt should be a setting similar to coin battle, so I feel this is the next big thing for it. I hope they learn from this and at least make stock with anyone an actual option in an update; Brawl online days made me sick of timed matches and I still haven't recovered.
+ Mii Fighters. After wasting that much cash on them, its finally great to be able to use them with anyone. Now players can laugh at my Snake mii wearing a K. Rool hat.
+Tournaments that last all day. I know a ton of people just want to be able to make a bracket tournament..but I find this is a pretty well done alternative too. Instead of a traditional "don't loose" tournament, the goal is to get the most wins. That way literally anyone can join at anytime and get a match to improve their score in the tournament, as opposed to having to have 30 or so people there at the same time.
Of course with 100 player limits I guess getting a match won't be completely easy all the time. I'll mention that later.

dislike:
-No making 1 vs 1 tournaments: Yeah, this is a disappointment. Thankfully there is regular 1v1 glory custom and for fun, the latter is what I mostly wanted anyway.
-No "Regular" for fun tournaments without equipment/customs: It goes without saying. Customs allowed + no equipment should have be a thing by now. Every for fun tournament has customs on, so its quite annoying, though I don't really mind in 1v1 custom tournaments since I love how broken they can get.
-No sudden death: /obvious.
--Can't save replays taken in tournaments.
Umm...yeah, why? I'd love to save that replay from when I managed to win a medium sized 1v1 tournament by getting a KO in the last 2 seconds of the battle (because loosing by stats is a thing now).

-- High chance of nobody joining the lobbies. This happens with...well, pretty much any tournament someone makes that last longer than 8 hours. You'll go into the tournament's lobby hoping for a fight, and nobody's there. I've had one tourney where there was one person who joined the time it started, and that tourney never had another battle again. If you get a battle, you should pretty much keep rejoining before the tournament dies out.
This can somewhat be aided if you recommend times for people to try searching for a match in the tourney's miiverse community, but there's obviously a chance they won't bother to look there.

Personal problems:
-No character restrictions: Despite the feature, I don't want it to ban characters or the like. Its just that i'd love an occasional "Ryu only stamina" tournament, "Pokemon characters only" tournament, etc. Of course it'd be misused by kids to ban Little Mac, but in that case there's about 100 other tournaments to join.
-Team Trolls can easily ruin it.
True story: I joined a one day tournament simply called "STAMINA", and twice in it I ran into what was obviously 2 friends teaming in the same match. Now, before you say "lol you just sucked", when 2 opponents are down and the 2 remaining players spend the entire time in the room (8 minute timer, seriously) taunting, crouching, and wasting items, I think its clear they're some sort of team. And unless you want to know what its like getting a drop out penalty, you have to stay in the match, watching these two people do the mentioned for 8 minutes. (though I thankfully had Smashboards to browse).
Somehow, they actually didn't win the tourney, probably due to the 20 match limit and one player having 11 wins. Regardless, with how dead day long tournaments get nothing can stop 2 people from joining the same tourney, so this is something that probably can't be prevented by the host.

Overall, it still needs a ton of improvements. But I still enjoy it a ton.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
We waited 8 months for this trash? This is a huge slap in the face to us. It's like they are saying "oh we already have their money so lets not even try to make it good!"

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, thanks for linking that clip. I'm kind of curious what the differences between "tourneys" and "tournaments" was in the 50 facts video. You could be right that "tourneys" are the online mode and "tournaments" is the offline mode; the tournament bracket shown in that part of the video certainly looks more like the tournaments we've seen in past games. The smash announcer did say that "we're going to have tournaments" though, which makes me think that the "tournaments" he was referring to in that video are probably the official Nintendo online tournaments and not an offline tournament mode.

If they can get official online tournaments that look just like the tournaments from the tournament mode in Melee and Brawl to work, it seems like an offline tournament mode presumably would work too. I don't know if that's in our future, but I hope it is; I enjoyed tournament mode in past games, even if most of the time I was just playing coms.

Last edited:

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
Dissapointing for me. No offline? 3 minute time limit? This really should have been better...

LunarNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ask Me First
To summarize and put it lightly... It's bad.
The one time I actually got into a tourney, I went 4/1 in a For Fun 64Man Tourney. Once my first match was over, it auto disqualified me and my opponents because player 4 was a no show. That being said, it's true that if someone DC's during the tourney, it disqualifies the entire branch of that fight. Had I known it'd do that, I would have dropped before it began.
The mode is missing the point on what tourneys really are, sadly. It would be amazing if Nintendo did a 180 and made tourney mode available so that people can host bracket tourneys instead of this win pool monstrosity. One on One is something that I find also very important to Smash, but the pool system lacks it.

This update needs to be corrected by the community in all seriousness.

Top Bottom