• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you do if you got an early copy of the Smash Ultimate strategy guide?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So I had a weird dream last night. My dreams never make any sense at all, but this one got me thinking.

I was sitting in some kind of lounge with a Starbucks attached to it. A girl walks in and goes up to the Starbucks counter holding a shrinkwrapped copy of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Strategy Guide. She said that Amazon sent it to her by mistake--don't remember if she had actually ordered it or if she had ordered something else and received that instead (it was also a little beaten up, like it had gotten damaged in shipping, for some reason). Whatever the case, she didn't want it, and was coming to the Starbucks to get rid of it for some reason. She tried giving it to the barista, but he didn't seem interested, so she tried giving it to someone else in the lounge/Starbucks, and of course a few people and myself all wanted it.

But then once I got my hands on it, I was apprehensive. We're still two months away from the game coming out, after all. Would I want to spoil myself and figure out who the unannounced fighters are, what Spirits mode is, the finer details of all the new mechanics and modes, and whatever else we don't know about yet? And if I did spoil myself, how would I be able to keep my mouth shut for two months and not share that information with anyone else? Could I really just put it away for two months and wait, knowing I had all the answers to the game right in my possession?

And that's about where my dream ended. Odd, but I thought the scenario and question was interesting.

So what would you do if you got ahold of the strategy guide and had information on everything in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Would you choose to wait until the game released, or would you open it right away and pore over every page? Would you keep that information to yourself, share it with just a few close friends, or would you announce things to the whole world?

D

Deleted member

I’d create a leak, the post it to every Smash forum, let everyone laugh and call it fake, and don a **** eating grin as watch their faces as they realize it’s true XD.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I want to say I'd keep my mouth shut.

However, I'd probably take a picture, post it online, and watch as people call it fake and known "leak debunkers" think they've debunked it. :troll:

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Post cryptic hints about who the final characters are with words that relate to those characters.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well, Robin's already a confirmed fighter in the game, so I doubt there are any newcomers in the strategy guide that would make me go completely bonkers. Since that's the case, I'd probably just read up on it, but I wouldn't do anything with the information learned, except maybe tell 4 friends of my closest friends. I can imagine them asking for pictures, to which I'll provide, but with the amount of fake leaks circulating on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if they doubted me at first. At that point, it'll become a waiting game, where I'll probably make a financial bet so that I'll end up winning in the long-term.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Prove that it was real in some manner, avoid spoiling it for myself, then post pictures of myself burning it in the desert on /v/ with the hopes that it starts a treasure hunt for the semi-legible ashes.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wouldn't read it.

While I'm 100% certain that the box theory will hold true and we'll get Ken + one more fighter, I still want to experience the announcements the way Nintendo intended. I want to be excited when I see a trailer.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
I would make some leak that would involve stuff from the game, including character renders, as well as a bunch of made up text leaks stuff sprinkled about.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Feel sad because it's not the actual game, but then feel happy that I didn't need to pay extra for the strategy guide once the game does come out.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Post the roster on 4chan then sit back, relax and watch the internet clamor on about if it's real or not.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Read it for myself, and tell no one. Then, when people speculate on who's in, I sit back and chuckle at them being so wrong (or right).

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would take pictures of the book and make a collage of it on YouTube, then link it to Smashboards in its own thread claiming right under it who all the newcomers and echo fighters are. Of course, I would use spoiler tags so those who don't want the info leaked aren't going to have it spoiled to them unwillingly. Some moderator will eventually come along and lock it.

When the strategy guide is inevitably revealed to the public by Nintendo, I will make a second thread again linking the unchanged YouTube video and the old thread saying "I told you I was right, I had an early copy." in big blue text.

Big Blue Pun not Intended

Last edited:

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
probably wouldn't leak it on account of not wanting to have my kneecaps broken by sakurai (that would be a honor however)

but I admit I would like to see if any of my theories are correct, I only have one character announcement that I am holding out for and I would love to see if I was right with my speculation.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
If and only if it contradicted current popular leakers, I would post a picture of the cover, and maybe a couple minor things to prove its legitimacy, and say something to the effect of "yo, this is the official strategy guide. I got it early. I ain't telling y'all **** except that these dudes are full of it. Peace out losers" and never post again.

If it confirmed leakers to be accurate, I wouldn't say anything and would just keep it to myself.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd talk about it with my brother, maybe say some vague stuff about it here but I wouldn't try to ruin anyone's fun or look for bragging rights. Probably.

Khao

Smash Lord
Leakers are a ****ing cancer to the gaming industry. I couldn't bring myself to say no to it, but I'd keep it to myself for the greater good.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Read it and keep the information to myself. BUT go to character support threads that are actually in the game and be like "Idk how much of a chance this character ACTUALLY has then list all the classic "detractions" of that characters" get people riled up for a good laugh then a week before the character is revealed tell them I was bull****ting the whole time and tell them they are in the game.

D

Deleted member

I would probably just throw it in my closet, and keep it safe until the game releases. I wouldn't want to spoil it for myself or anyone else.

(Then again, I might've taken a little peak)

Last edited by a moderator:

portalmasterJ11

Smash Cadet
I would send pictures to nintendo and say if I don't get a copy of smash ultimate immediately I will post the pictures all across the internet.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I'd keep all the information to myself.

But... that's no fun. Let's say I wasn't a good person. I'd troll the heck out of everyone. In addition to giving codenames for unrevealed characters, I'd throw in blurry pictures of some of the guide's pages taken with my phone while jumping up and down. Maybe throw in some fake ones into the mix to throw people off.

And finally when Sakurai announces the date and time of the last direct, I'll spoil everything on every major smash bros and gaming forums within an hour before the direct actually airs.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I would send pictures to nintendo and say if I don't get a copy of smash ultimate immediately I will post the pictures all across the internet.
Hope you don't mind being sued, because that's what would happen in that scenario. Also, to troll you, they'd send a download code that would only activate on Dec. 7.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Oof, now that's a hard question.
I don't know if I want to spoil myself when there are only two months away, but at the same time, I don't know if I could handle not reading it.
And if I do read it would I want to leak it on the internet. Could I get in trouble, do I want to spoil it for other fans or would it not get a lot of attention/be called fake by others maybe even including Vergeban?
So many choices so....... actually there is still time since there would still be two months in this scenario.
Well, maybe I would leak it nearer to the release or before a Smash Direct IF I would leak it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Text leak.

Let people still have doubt so Sakurai can spring a surprise if any are found in this guide.

If it is only Ken and Incineroar I'd consider leaking it properly. To spare people's salt.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Go forwards in time and see next week's lottery numbers.

Or at least pretend I can do that to impress people when my "visions of the future" are correct.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
On top of being sued, they may not even be done with the game at the time of you receiving the book, so that could be an impossible request.

On top of being sued, they may not even be done with the game at the time of you receiving the book, so that could be an impossible request.
idk bro the game’s gonna be out in 7 weeks; the content in the game should be set in stone at this point.

but getting an early copy nah that ain’t gonna happen.

I know personally I would just post very vague **** and say it’s real, and when people don’t believe me I’ll be like “whatever” or call people out if they’re being a ****.

trolling is fun yo

Top Bottom