• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would make Bowser a higher tier character?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

Personally I'd reduce the startup lag of some of his faster attacks (I'd make his F and D-Tilt faster).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Get rid of some end lag on stuff like ftilt, let us combo out of fair/klaw, bring back L Canceling, super armor on smashes, a bit of an increase on grab range, have Bowser's arms be invincible during moves where he claws at people (like fair, jab, etc; and yes i know he already has this on some stuff, but I mean ALL of it :D), allow firebreath to cancel in some way so its either safe or can be followed up.

Stuff like that.

I personally like Bowsers start up speed, I think its fitting and is quite good, our problem is that outside of Klaw and sometimes Fair, its not safe to throw out anything else because we can be punished easily on whiff or block. Id like to be able to mix up our pressure options while still keeping ourselves safe if we space right.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I don't think Bowser's startup on a his faster attacks are really "slow", but just slightly above average.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Make GR>Fsmash a true combo.

and/or

Halve Dair's landing lag

and/or

Replace him with Bowser Jr so that he stops being a world class sandbag.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Bowser should remain a big bruiser, but he needs more reliable tools to play his role more efficiently.

1. Give Bair, Crawl, Bowser Bomb, FSmash and Dair heavy or super armor of some kind. As long as the frames/damage thresholds are reasonable, this shouldn't get out of hand.

2. Make fire breath less of a commitment. Bowser needs a ranged move like this to be safer.

3. Improve the endlag of Dair and Ftilt like Z'z and Teluo mentioned earlier.

4. Increase his grab range a bit. It's a little underwhelming for his size.

5. Improve the knockback of FSmash a bit. It does MASSIVE damage as you'd expect, but the knockback is a little underwhelming for such a badass move.

Other than these things, I wouldn't really change anything else, besides problems that aren't tied to Bowser's design alone (like D3's infinite). Bowser SHOULD be a big target and he shouldn't be good at evading attacks like a ninja through rolls/spotdodges. He shouldn't be a campy projectile character either. He should be like the big dragonmanbeastturtle that he is: intimidating to approach, and downright scary when he gets close to you, kinda like Zangief, Alex, or Hugo from Street Fighter.

B!squick

Smash Master
Sweet. MrEh approves of my message. :D

I guess I'm glad this Tech_Chase guy liked it, too. Is he known or something? ;)

In all seriousness though, I think the best improvement would be the simplest: give him more power. Incease the damage and possibly the KB on EVERYTHING by 50-100%. Make it so a fresh Klaw can kill middle weights at 100% from the center of most stages. This should make even DAir a viable move and Bowser as a whole would be as scary as he should be.

D

Deleted member 189823

I've always thought Bowser wasn't strong enough. Maybe I'm exaggerating- But I think he should have around Ike or Ganondorf's strength.
I wouldn't make Klaw THAT broken, but I would increase F-Tilt, F-Smash, F-Air & B-Air's strength.

Top Bottom