• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would a doubles tier list looks like?

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
So doubles is something i've personally looked a lot into lately and one thing I have been wondering is what a tier list for this format would look like. I mean in most high placing teams you generally see Cloud but there's also other weird characters out there like Lucario that can have a huge impact too

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...similar to how the tiers did not consider customs, a doubles tier list looks to be impractical probably due to the sheer number of character combinations (1,711 character combinations). Now, this I find to be comparable to Tekken Tag Tournament 2: large character selection, sheer number of character combos each powerful in their own right. Almost impossible to pin a tier list on extreme numbers like that.

The way I see it, a good team has attributes, play styles and/or other nuances that work and play well with others or to compensate for one fighter's shortcomings.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
:4cloud::4sonic::4mario: Are generally considered the best teams characters, Cloud and Mario can assume many roles in teams and are quite versatile. Sonic is good at holding stocks being hard to hit and his throws combo incredibly well (Dthrow into smash attack is a stock every time)

:4lucario: Is solid due to aura mechanics

:4jigglypuff: Is a doubles sleeper, rest is much safer with a team mate and has combos, surprisingly good at holding stocks she's she can float around and poke and retreat more safely with a teammate, converts kills on off stage opponents much easier with a teammate to toss them off while she chases after them.

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
Yeah...similar to how the tiers did not consider customs, a doubles tier list looks to be impractical probably due to the sheer number of character combinations (1,711 character combinations). Now, this I find to be comparable to Tekken Tag Tournament 2: large character selection, sheer number of character combos each powerful in their own right. Almost impossible to pin a tier list on extreme numbers like that.

The way I see it, a good team has attributes, play styles and/or other nuances that work and play well with others or to compensate for one fighter's shortcomings.
then perhaps a possible format to making a doubles tier list would be (in no particular order of importance)
1. how many different characters could they successfully pair with consistently?
2. how much does the character rely on their team mate? (for kills, recovery etc.)
3. how much/fast can the character help their team mate? (if their team mate struggles with recovery, landing, etc.)
something along the lines of that I think could be a good start to the guidlines of making a doubles tier list

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Max Ketchum made a doubles tier list once. I doubt there will ever be an official one for any game.
If you guys want, you can discuss it.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
A doubles tier list would probably look fairly similar to a singles tier list with some exceptions. Generally speaking doubles typically better covers a character's biggest flaws (i.e. Cloud's poor recovery or Sheik's lack of KO options). Another big part would be combo strings. Long combo strings are more easily broken up with a teammate so like Bayo is much less likely to be able to combo someone off the top. Also, "cheese" setups and gimps would happen less so for example DK is less likely to be able to pull off his ding dong combo. Then there is also the factor that with 4 players on the map it's harder for strategic defensive styles so it's harder for projectile heavy characters like Villager to stay safe and away.
Cloud, Sheik, Diddy, Mario, Sonic, Fox and maybe Bayo would prob be top tier. Rosalina would fall off with how much easier it would be to get rid of Luma (similar to how IC's aren't as good in melee doubles). Mega Man, Pika, Mewtwo, Ryu, Lucario and Marth (prob Lucina too) would be my guesses for high tier.
Doubles makes getting back to the stage (whether off stage or up in the air) an easier thing to accomplish in general. I think what characters play off each other well is important as well. Like a team of 2 Sheiks would still lack KO power. Two Bowsers would be too slow to not be comboed so whether it's a character or their synergy with another character I think any team composition would need speed and KO power. The damage will get racked up regardless so it's all about finishing off stocks and breaking up your opponents combos.
Just my two cents but I think Cloud/Sheik is the best team. Cloud can stock tank and charge limit frequently. Sheik's speed and needles make her an excellent choice to zone away opponents allowing Cloud to hold center stage. Both attack fairly quickly, Cloud is strong and Sheik can assist Cloud in recovering with her tool kit. Sheik is also excellent at breaking up any combo and her fast aerials can extend her teammate's combos.
But there are so many combinations it's hard to say for certain with a limited sample size to pool data from. I still think it would be similar to singles tier lists with the most notable exceptions being Cloud and Lucario(aura) get better and Bayo and Rosa get worse.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Max Ketchum made a doubles tier list once. I doubt there will ever be an official one for any game.
If you guys want, you can discuss it.
then perhaps a possible format to making a doubles tier list would be (in no particular order of importance)
1. how many different characters could they successfully pair with consistently?
2. how much does the character rely on their team mate? (for kills, recovery etc.)
3. how much/fast can the character help their team mate? (if their team mate struggles with recovery, landing, etc.)
something along the lines of that I think could be a good start to the guidlines of making a doubles tier list
I'll bite:
:4cloud2: There is not a single team Cloud can't fit in since he can cover his partner's weakenesses and many characters have moves that save him if he loses his jump. Cloud has many delete buttons so he doesn't rely on his teammate to kill. Cloud has good mobility and fast moves so he is very handy in an emergency.

:4sheik:Sheik's innate combo ability make her a good partner with anyone as intuitive and consistent combos are always present. Sheik benefits from having a teammate with good delete buttons, but she can get a lot more Bouncing Fish with distracted opponents. Since her recovery is very good Sheik doesn't need saving and her Fair is very good for saving her partner. Her mobility is very good and her moves are lightning fast, so she can help her teammae effectively.

:4lucina:Mostly the same as Cloud: Good disjointed attacks, excellent combo throws, and Foward Smash as a delete button. Lucina might need some help in disadvantage, but she is a very good saver to compensate. Lucina doesn't need help to kill because of F-Smash and easy edgeguards.

:4corrinf:^ I would say Corrin has awkward kill moves so a good deleter is nice to have. Anyone knowledgeable in Corrin help me out.

:4diddy:Everything I said in my Sheik review, except he has Down Smash for BS KOs and he might need help recovering sometimes.

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
I'll bite:
:4cloud2: There is not a single team Cloud can't fit in since he can cover his partner's weakenesses and many characters have moves that save him if he loses his jump. Cloud has many delete buttons so he doesn't rely on his teammate to kill. Cloud has good mobility and fast moves so he is very handy in an emergency.

:4sheik:Sheik's innate combo ability make her a good partner with anyone as intuitive and consistent combos are always present. Sheik benefits from having a teammate with good delete buttons, but she can get a lot more Bouncing Fish with distracted opponents. Since her recovery is very good Sheik doesn't need saving and her Fair is very good for saving her partner. Her mobility is very good and her moves are lightning fast, so she can help her teammae effectively.

:4lucina:Mostly the same as Cloud: Good disjointed attacks, excellent combo throws, and Foward Smash as a delete button. Lucina might need some help in disadvantage, but she is a very good saver to compensate. Lucina doesn't need help to kill because of F-Smash and easy edgeguards.

:4corrinf:^ I would say Corrin has awkward kill moves so a good deleter is nice to have. Anyone knowledgeable in Corrin help me out.

:4diddy:Everything I said in my Sheik review, except he has Down Smash for BS KOs and he might need help recovering sometimes.
As far as Corrin goes I think she's solid in dubs and can fit with a wide number of characters because of the different ways you could play her i.e playing defensive and following up on team mates aggressiveness or being aggressive herself using really safe moves like fair and side-b. Corrin IMO would probably be around the same spot as Lucina if not then slightly below

Flamegeyser

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of this being considered a necro, I think Ike is honestly top tier or close to it for dubs. His helicopter uair is such a consistent team kill option, being gigantic and powerful, easy team combo kill bait. Besides that he's got good throws and attacks for team combos, and his lack of single target combos and poor recovery can be mitigated with team combos and his opponent saving him. Check MM6 (or was it 7?) grands to see what I mean.

Top Bottom