• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would a 3D dimensional Super Smash Bros be like?

toonito

Smash Ace
I'm also a little intrigued as to how Smash, a 2D platform fighter, can translate into 3D, if it even can translate. I believe Sakurai may have mentioned in passing that he wouldn't make Smash 3D.

Below are a couple of basic mods on Youtube of how a barebones 3D Smash 64 might look.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Broken? It wouldn't even be an option in special smash lol since that's completely changing the basic gameplay... The control scheme wouldn't even work as stuff like tilts work on the basis of smash having a fixed horizontal perspective... That means how would stuff like a side tilt work when in a 3d game, every direction will technically be a side tilt? Which is made even harder by having constantly changing camera angles... Would it just change what directions are what based on where the camera is currently facing? Would they remain fixed? How would they handle cheese like just falling off of ledges without actually being knocked off of it? It absolutely couldn't work in current smash as it's literally a 2d game with very minor z-axis shenanigans...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It think it would look like mix of Smash Bros and Tekken.
I'm thinking this too, and lots of room actually. And I'm suspecting it will be more campy even, cause there will be more overall room because stages aren't linear anymore. It would need at least some traditional fighting game mechanics to keep a sort of combo system in it.

Also, more moves for each character I feel. Maybe a Final Smash meter that's standardized in all types of gameplay ? I'm also guessing they'll move over to health bars / HP in a game like this. Counter should be a basic mechanic for all characters, I'd imagine a backwards Side B to be a good solution to that. This frees up the possibility for a new Special attack in some characters, and it's a similar enough input to Down B.

The Final Smash meter could translate in a "Super Smash meter" that you could build up to do a Final Smash, or use to power up your Special moves instead. Or it could be limited to one Special attack each character? I imagine a lot of moves should be automatically auto canceled, like lots of Up B recoveries, moves as say, Fox's Side B, Diddy's Monkey Flip, Mewtwo's Teleport, Sonic's Spin Ball, this would open for more freedom in approaches and combos.

Rolls should also translate to 3D, and I think parries should allow for better possibilities to counter react. I also would think more multi hit moves that you can control yourself , say Link's Forward Smash, are a good idea for Jabs and Tilts. One hit should allow for more follow ups. A slight increase in overall average hit stun could be a solution to that.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not an expert on this topic but maybe Capcom's Power Stone could serve as an example of how this game might play like?

As far as I know, there are not really any 3D platform fighters on its scale.

Top Bottom