• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What were your reaction to Joker's reveal?

Kolbvrn

Smash Rookie
I am not too familiar with Persona except for 4 but I was super happy to see Joker's reveal. He looks really good and I'm really hoping he is at least fun to play with. I'd love to main him if he was fun. I like his backstory that I've read around the threads.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I was happy that we were getting Persona music in Smash.
I was not happy that we were getting yet another anime character
But overall I'm super happy now, especially knowing that it could have been way worse (shudders at the though of Steve or Erdrick in Smash)

D

Deleted member

I've never played P5, but my friend is a huge P5 stan so I was happy by extension
Also I'm in love with his design and movement, and the music he brings with him is gonna be sick

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

It was late at night where I live. I was watching the game awards with my brothers. Screen went fuzzy and at first I thought it was gonna be Metroid.

Then Persona stuff started happening and I got confused. Then Joker flipped the letter and I saw the Smash logo. Seeing as how it was extremely late and I did not wish to wake anyone up by screaming (which I would have if this reveal had taken place during the day), I kind of just started spazzing out as quietly as I could. My glasses flung off my face and into a wall, lol.

Needless to say, it was pretty cool.

Shade_The_Umbreon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luigifan16
I was so freaking happy and if I was at home and not at my local GameStop for the 9pm launch I would've gone freaking ballistic.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I was waiting in line to purchase my copy of Ultimate on opening night when I overheard one of the customers in front of me mention it. I've seen so many fake leaks that I was initially skeptical of it until I looked it up myself on my phone. I really have no knowledge of the character so I didn't have a strong reaction to him, I guess my first thought after the usual "Who?" was that I was happy for those supporting him and that the doors were open to other unusual and seemingly unlikely (by fan standards) picks.

GenesisFury

Smash Rookie
I honestly had given up on getting a newcomer i truly wanted. I was watching the game awards just to kill time before i could play my downloaded ultimate copy. Nintendo did hint to some surprise during the vgas so i had some small hope of something cool. I had almost decided it was all a bust, when the static and interruption happened. I was really confused and didnt know what to expect. And then i heard familar voices and i said "its just a switch port or new game reveal, theres no way.." And then i saw the smash symbol and yelled and lost myself in the hype. Ive beaten p5 multiple times and platted it for the most part and i love the game a ton.

And joker himself is the third most wanted character of mine(zidane and riku are slightly ahead but not by much at all). I talked to a good friend who also loves persona and plays smash and we were basically hyping each other up a insane amount. Its no hyperbole to say he saved my hype and hope for ultimate singlehandedly. I like ultimate and am competitive but i was a little underwhelmed at the kencineroar pp finale. Im going to main him no matter his moveset or tier. We are so close...please end my suffering from the wait lmao. Oh forgot to mention ive played p1-p5 and alot of the smt handheld games and IV/apocalypse and DDS 1\2. So im a major fan of the series in general, so im really psyched and glad we got a atlus/smt/persona rep at all.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wasn't familiar with Persona as a whole, so I was interested to see how he'd play but not insanely excited/overjoyed about it. (don't get me wrong, it was a cool reveal, especially since I wasn't expecting a Smash character reveal at a non-Nintendo-run event, but I didn't have any connection to the character) However, I had bought Persona 5 when it was on sale before this announcement, and this gave me the push that I needed to play it.

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
I didn't even know Joker when he was revealed so I really didn't think much of it. Now that I do know Joker and where he came from its quite a thing to be happy about as it shows Nintendo is spreading out more and more for characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never played a persona game so i was confused, Now that i know more about the series i plan on playing them

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
If I gave my honest opinion, I'd be flagged for "flame bait" by a moderator because the forums rules are too soft.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I didn't get to catch Joker's reveal trailer live so my reaction upon waking up and seeing it in my YouTube feed went something like this:

"...Eh? That's the guy from Persona, yeah? I guess that's neat. Better than Minecraft Steve being the first pick or whatever".

I've since then beaten Persona 5 and loved the hell out of it. Smash gave me that final push I needed to try it out after hearing so many people gush about how great it is.

D

Deleted member

Well, I couldn´t react the moment it happened due to... something that happened before and back then took the wrong way.

But when I found out the next day, I was completely happy about it.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Extreme disappointment.

Because my friend messaged me that he was getting into the game the minute of, rather than sending the link or telling me to go watch the reveal...

It sucked for me.

I absolutely love that he is in though!

link2702

Smash Champion
“Who the hell is this?” Followed by a “meh, don’t care” and when i saw he was the only one of the fighters pass characters revealed so far, a “glad I didn’t buy it yet”.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda funny... I love Persona 5 and the Persona series as a whole (2IS and 3 are great, and 4 Golden takes the cake as one of my all time favorites), but when Joker was revealed I felt this strange... ambivalence? Mild disappointment? I dunno, it was weird. It certainly didn't help that I was in a relatively sour mood given the blackout my neighborhood was in during the livestream, which subsequently cut out the internet, forcing me to watch the livestream on data (Probably shoulda just stopped, but I wanted to catch any cool reveals live).

I guess my reaction was basically... "huh?" Joker being in Smash Bros wasn't even a blip on my radar, and yet, there he was. Much as I like the dude, he was another "anime pretty boy" with a blade, an aesthetic that I'm a bit weary of in Smash. And him making my most wanted, Bandana Dee significantly less likely, sort of dealt a blow to my potential hype for him.

That said, I've warmed up to him since his release (in no small part thanks to that jamming remix of I'll Face Myself alongside the inclusion of Reach Out to the Truth and the Yu Costume). I still dion't love his inclusion, but I do like him well enough. Funny thing is despite completing Persona 4 Golden three times and not even getting halfway through my P5 New Game+, Joker's inclusion just made me want to play P4G again, haha.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I gave him a reaction of just “oh cool this Joker guy is in Smash...where ever he’s from”. Then out of curiosity about him I watched a walkthrough of Persona 5...ended up watching the entire game on accident due to being addicted...then I loved him. Got the dlc and was getting hyped up, as I waited for Persona 5 to come to the Switch...lost patience and bought the game on my birthday...worth not waiting cause I injected the game (and Makoto) into my veins

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
My reaction was a mix of curiosity and confusion. I never played Persona 5 and it had no connection with Nintendo, so it just felt completely out of the blue. It pretty much showed that anyone can get in Smash at this point.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My reaction was a mix of curiosity and confusion. I never played Persona 5 and it had no connection with Nintendo, so it just felt completely out of the blue. It pretty much showed that anyone can get in Smash at this point.
Well they did have a 3DS game involving Persona 5 characters (and the overall franchise SMT has been on Nintendo many times)....they just so happened to have gone with the more popular game from a more popular spinoff

Top Bottom