• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What were your reaction to Joker's reveal?

GamePadSophia

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if this has been asked a few times, but I didn't except him to make into Smash!

I was very very hyped like so happy!

Am I the only one who got happy after he made it into Smash?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Whooping and jumping in joy. I may or may not have punched a furniture.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I cried.

Well, first I screamed. Then I cried. Then I couldn't even play Ultimate for two hours because I was too busy being excited about Joker. My roommates and I all watched TGA together and I didn't want to get my hopes up but one roommate noticed the "Not actual gameplay footage" disclaimer and I was cautious. When they said "Invited" I was screaming "NO" at the TV. When he flipped the envelope around it was all over. I was a mess. I even skinned my knee on the carpet because I fell over at some point.

Even after all that I thought it was a joke or something. It took until the Smash logo for me to fully believe and it just blew my mind. I binged every live reaction I could find for days after and I'm still blown away by it all. I can't even believe it's real and I was lucky enough to truly get my most-wanted everyone called impossible in Smash.

I have a lot of fun live reactions and explanations in the social thread up there. Check page...12 or 13 I think? It was bedlam.

D

Deleted member

I turned on my Switch, went to the eShop, looked up 'Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass', and immediately purchased it. A Joker reveal was all I needed to see to have faith in their 5 DLC character selection.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I turned on my Switch, went to the eShop, looked up 'Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass', and immediately purchased it. A Joker reveal was all I needed to see to have faith in their 5 DLC character selection.
After I got done screaming in pure disbelief, this is what I did too.

Doesn't matter who Nintendo puts in now; we got Joker. Plus, if this is who they're leading with, I'm positive they know what they're doing with the DLC.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
It was a ridiculous adventure lemme tell you.

Basically my friend and I were watching The Game Awards, and outside of Crash Team Racing, the show bored us to death, and the whole RDR2 winning everything got old fast.

At around 11:20 I figured nothing notable would be shown at this point, and even though Nintendo could've shown off Prime 4 which would've been hype, I didn't really feel like sitting down any more, so I headed off to Best Buy for the midnight launch for Smash, and decided to watch the show on my phone.

While watching, the show went all black, and for a second I was like "oh great, these ****ing people are so incompetent that technical difficulties are happening" but then the static went on and I was like "wait a minute" not sure what to expect.

Then the screen went red, and the Phantom Thieves logo showed up, and my eyes widened up (keep in mind that I took my first final that day, so I was already tired af, but the PT logo was enough to make me wake up and be completely alert).

I also saw the E10+ rating, the "Not Actual Gameplay" and hearing Morgana saying they "were invited" and in my head I was just saying "there's no ****ing way" then the yellow crosses showed up, then the white rectangle, then finally, that ****ing red stamp.

I was screaming like crazy at that moment, keep in mind that I am usually a very quiet person IRL, but for that one instant, I think I scram louder than Etika during his Mewtwo reaction, and once I saw the words "Challenger Pack 1: Joker from Persona 5" I legit thought I was dreaming.

I literally couldn't even focus on the show after that, I closed out Twitch and was going ****ing insane on Discord, with my friend spamming me with PMs to make sure I saw the trailer.

Needless to say, that night was a night to remember.

Last edited:

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
My friend was sleeping next room because he was very tired from watching the VGAs.

I screamed and gasped so much he woke up worried because he thought I was hyperventilating.

I think I was even more "fake" than the "fake" reactions from streamers and youtubers. Although now I doubt they are truly fake.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My friend was sleeping next room because he was very tired from watching the VGAs.

I screamed and gasped so much he woke up worried because he thought I was hyperventilating.

I think I was even more "fake" than the "fake" reactions from streamers and youtubers. Although now I doubt they are truly fake.
This is such a great way of putting it. Knowing how I reacted I really don't think reactions are as faked as people quickly claim. Obviously there's some exaggerating but my hype was so real if it was on camera people would be calling BS.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Basically me trembling in excitement over the whole thing. I would have said "YES!", but didn't want to wake up anyone nearby. I was so happy afterwards that after the concert played, I immediately stopped watching the VGAs, because nothing else mattered at that point and I wanted to go to bed badly.

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
pretty much the same thing as everyone else, i ran outside and then punched a wall after i got back inside

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I dont even know who he is and the majority of everyone else on the smash ultimate roster. So no feeling at all.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
My reaction was "...Who?"

And then it was "Oh, so it's going to be 3rd-parties and characters promoting new releases, probably no hope for Dixie Kong or some other worthy 1st-party character."

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
I have no idea who he is so not much of a reaction.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I was sitting on the toilet watching the livestream on my phone when the trailer began. Although I had little knowledge of Persona 5 at the time, I instantly recognized it when the black hat contrasted with the red background along with the stylish font. I just went with the flow until Joker flipped the calling card to reveal the Smash invitation. I jumped off of the toilet in shock, letting out a big "WHAT" before forcing myself to calm down. "I did not expect that," were the words that left my mouth afterward. I contained my excitement since I wasn't a Persona fan, but my legs were shaking throughout the rest of the trailer. Had it not been for Joker's inclusion, I would not have been inclined to watch the anime based off the game (and yeah I know it's not as good as the game, but it's all I've got).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I stopped watching the Game Awards because of a certain reveal that ruined the night for me and also because i had to sleep.

When i woke up to get informed, i found it neat.

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
It's funny, I actually had the Game Awards streaming on my phone as I was waiting in line to pick up my copy. It was weird, I remember thinking "Wouldn't it be insane if this was an announcement for him in Smash?" Then the envelope flipped over and revealed that familiar seal, my jaw literally dropped.

D

Deleted member

It wasn't Beat from JSR so I threw my computer out the window and yelled

"Ehh", that was my entire reaction, never played Persona 5 because I never even had a PlayStation, although I'm happy for the people, and that they got a character they liked.

hiporbiter

Smash Rookie
I actually never had the chance of playing P5 so I have that idea of the game being some kind of badass, modern masterpiece and the fact that the protagonist gets in Smash algo gives hopes to see the game in Switch so I was happy.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I was waiting for my bro to get back from work, so we could hurry on to Gamestop as soon as he got home. To kill time, I ended up watching pretty much the entirety of The Game Awards. Was getting pretty anxious since it was about a half hour until Ultimate launched in the US; suddenly the theatre got dark, and as soon as the PT logo popped up along with the E10+ rating, I was really starting to freak out, especially when they got to the 'invited' part of the trailer. In the back of my mind, I was thinking "No effing way this is Smash" "Sakurai you mad man, please don't play with my heart!" and as soon as the Smash logo showed up, I was screaming so loud and crying LOL. I told my brother about the news and he was looking at me like no way.

I'm glad I had family out for their Christmas parties!! xD

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I was like "ok i guess i will give the game a try (my first persona game ever btw)… -checks the playstation store, realizes the game is in like 50% discount, only costing like 24 $, so i buy it- … just finished playing it, no regrets whatsoever, such an amazing game and now i'm super hyped. I wish i already experienced the game before so my reaction to the reveal was bigger but I still get hyped for any smash reveal even if it's a character from a game i haven't played yet. Can't wait. I have some slight hope that we get an early in development gameplay trailer of how he looks or something at least, maybe his render and the stage they chose, in the usual nintendo direct of january.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Oh. A character from a game series I've never played, being put in to advertise that game series coming to the Switch.

okay.

qcblacklyn

Smash Rookie
Joker was by far my most wanted newcomer. No other dream charchters were even close to how much I wanted Joker. I litterally day dreamed about his possible reveal at the Game Awards, even though I thought it was impossible.

The Gameawards was pretty boring for most of the running time. I was just on my phone looking up everytime there was a new announcment. But then the "hack" happened, i immediately figured it would Cyber Punk 2077 but Then I saw the Phantom Theives logo, needless to say I was caught of guard. The entire time in my head I was repeating that it's do or die if Joker isn't announced for smash now he would never get in. Many options went through my head, Is it a switch port? Persona 5 crimson. Then I heard "we've been invited" and I screamed much louder than any Reveal in Video Game History. I didn't cry but I was close. My friend who knew how much I wanted Joker immediately called me and we talked for hours even when inside the store to pick up my pre order at midnight.

Tldr: I Screamed really loud.

I really wish I recorded my reaction but oh well.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Honestly, I wasn't that surprised about it. The game awards were throwing out tons of new smash advertisements so I half expected a new character. Plus after Cloud got in... no character has shocked me... not even piranha plant.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
My reaction was basically "I have no idea who the heck he is, but he reminds me of Tuxedo Mask and he looks hecking awesome, totally gonna have this guy as one of my mains!"

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
"Well there goes the chances of any Nintendo characters being dlc. ****"

Was my reaction.

Kinda sad Nintendo doesn't prioritize their own franchises and characters but w/e.

Joker looks like he'll be fun, which at the end of the day, is what matters I guess.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Didn’t have one because I’ve never played Persona 5. I have a PS4 but never got the time to check the game out.

Happy for those that wanted him.

jordonwarez

Smash Rookie
I was actually in GameStop early that day for the pre order party and to get my ticket for the line. I didn’t know what was going but was greated by 20 dudes screaming like little girls. I was VERY VERY confused at first. Then found out and proceeded to join them

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I gasped loudly, exactly 10 times. I am not joking. I've never even played P5 (but it's the number 1 game I want on Switch) but I was hyped as heck.

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
My reaction was "welp, guess it's finally time to play Persona 5". And then I did, and now I'm waiting for my new main to be released plz.

Pski

Smash Cadet
my first reaction was a miffed "who dafuq that and why he in smash"
then i went and played P5 and my current mood is "oh my god jokers in smash this is gonna be so cool"

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
literally
*long pause* "huh?"

Granted, i dont play persona games so i dont know him that well, but what little i do know of persona makes me wonder why he was picked. Isnt persona about summoning a power within you with a pistol to do the work?

Atleast its not another fire emblem character (inb4 next character is announced and its a Knight or Archer character to be "different")

Last edited:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
I'm probably going to receive a ton of flack for this one, but honestly, while all my friends were hyped for it, I actually felt dread, and not because I dislike persona per se, but rather the idea of DLC characters as a whole.

I was already skeptical with DLC characters after what happened with Cloud and Bayonetta in Smash 4, who of course became notorious in those games (Remember EVO 2018?) Also with recent datamining and the moveset Joker could have out of his entire arsenal, I'm actually scared that he'll end up another Bayonetta, and for Persona fans, that'd be kinda heartbreaking if mains were getting boo'd.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm wrong about that (I hope that he's still good, but not overpowered and oppressive like crazy). I'd love to see him in the game and not be absolutely terrible too.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My reaction was essentially “Wait, not Geno?!” I wasn't mad, just extremely surprised.

Also, can GamePadSophia GamePadSophia please correct the terrible grammar in the topic title? That "were" where it should be a "was" is driving me bonkers. Either that, or pluralize "reaction" into "reactions".

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm probably going to receive a ton of flack for this one, but honestly, while all my friends were hyped for it, I actually felt dread, and not because I dislike persona per se, but rather the idea of DLC characters as a whole.

I was already skeptical with DLC characters after what happened with Cloud and Bayonetta in Smash 4, who of course became notorious in those games (Remember EVO 2018?) Also with recent datamining and the moveset Joker could have out of his entire arsenal, I'm actually scared that he'll end up another Bayonetta, and for Persona fans, that'd be kinda heartbreaking if mains were getting boo'd.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm wrong about that (I hope that he's still good, but not overpowered and oppressive like crazy). I'd love to see him in the game and not be absolutely terrible too.
There will be 4 more characters after him. By your logic, they should be more broken. Not that your idea has any logic.

D

Deleted member

Persona 5 is one of my favorite games of all-time and the best game that I played in 2017. I've mentioned before how I would love to see Joker in Smash but I never expected him to happen. I always felt like he was a natural fit for Smash Bros., but I chalked him up as mostly a dream... a character that I never thought would happen.

Fast forward to The Game Awards, I didn't watch it because of how disinterested I was in the event as a whole. I thought someone might get announced for Smash, but I was going to check on Twitter anyway or someone would tell me.
I got a message on Discord from a friend that simply said, "OMG!" I immediately thought that someone got confirmed for Smash. I thought it was Bandana Dee because we both supported him, but then I saw... the Phantom Thieves logo...

I refused to believe it was real! It has to be fake! It has to be! That could never happen! But... it turns out my dream became a reality.
I was shaking, I was jumping for joy, I was screaming at the top of my lungs! I went to wake up my girlfriend (another massive Persona fan) telling her that, "JOKER IS IN SMASH! JOKER IS IN SMASH! THIS IS REAL!" She thought I was joking, but then we saw the trailer and saw that the impossible happened. After that, I replayed Lifelight numerous times from how hyped I was for Joker and that Smash was releasing the next day.

Smash had many characters that I was hyped for and included many characters that I love (such as Shulk, Sonic, and Cloud for example), but I don't think any of those characters were able to ever illicit such a reaction from me. At times I still find it hard to believe that Joker is in Smash Bros... but once I see gameplay and images, I will finally be able to fully accept it. I still feel like it's a dream that he got added.
For me, Joker is Smash's Last Surprise. I would be content with the whole DLC pack just because Joker is in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom