• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What we know so faR.O.B

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Whatever screw you, you make a good title then if you're so smart.

I have been absolutely STARVED of new info on this game, outside of a few people tweeting things it's been a wasteland out there. Even characters in the demo you barely can find concrete stuff on, so imagine how little our poor sweet Ro-boy has confirmed thus far.

Its actually a lot more than you'd think! Take a look!

1. Dthrow

Lets get the easy one out of the way first. Dthrow now buries. I know, it made me sad at first too. But! Holy **** this could be a buff of unspeakable levels if we don't see usmash nerfed. For those who may not know, the way the bury mechanic is smash works (or rather, has worked thus far) is that the initial hit that unburies them gives significantly less knockback. That's very easily negated by usmash, as the first hit is just the linking hit on the ground and not the actual booster explosion at the top. I've also heard whispers of silly things like utilt into uairs or even z drop gyro into setups, much like we see done at ledge but instead just ... whenever.

2. SideB
https://twitter.com/umeboshia_0w/status/1006871962352664576

MUCH harder to spot, but this sure seems like we're looking at what's historically been, for lack of a better phrase, 'ROB's garbage move for bad players'. Potentially massive range increase if I'm seeing this right, but VERY hard to be overly sure.

3. Laser (Neutral B)

Likely just a cosmetic change, but laser has a cool new energy effect on it that gives it a more powerful feel. I'm speculating here, but if we see a laser that actually has some viability as an offstage threat, ROB is going to be an absolute monster at edgeguarding. Recoveries so far have felt even weaker than what they've been in Smash 4, if this hits away ala Brawl instead of up like it does in Smash 4, then boys we got us an AMAZING option for securing stocks.

4. Nair

The bread. The butter. Believe it or not, it seems like we might be seeing an actual buff to this move. We don't know anything about the startup time (the move is already in motion when we see it), but comparing the flames in the video to the one in Smash 4 does seem to indicate a larger range. Speed of rotation seems pretty much identical, and it's possible that this is just another visual change, but undoubtedly worth noting!

5. Grab

This one takes a little bit of explanation, shoutout to Slug for explaining it like 5 times to me before I wrapped my head around how he figured this out. Don't be thrown off by the different character models in the image, focus on the bubble visual. You'll notice that ROB's point of contact with the grabbed character seems to be further out, relative to his hands (grippers? can we even call those hands?). His model is also leaning much further back than in Smash 4, so unless they've shifted the grab hitbox further back then it would seem to support a buffed grab range.

Grab also seems to be 1 frame faster (7->6) but it's possible that is from being recorded and uploaded to a video. Combine this with how potentially devastating Dthrow looks like it could be, and this might make for a massive upswing.

6. Fthrow

New animation, new angle, this move seems built fresh from the ground up. Technically could be a different throw, but I'm pretty confident that it matches well with fthrow considering he's throwing something... forward. Gone are the days of the laziest throw animation in the world, now we get like a baseball toss and that's pretty cool! Shows that they're really taking a critical eye to these characters and putting some serious love into them.

7. Fuel meter
Neat, now he's got like a little racing stripe that tells you when you're gunna die. Sakurai you're the best.

8. Unchanged Moves

Rather than give them their own entries, here are the moves that look like they're going to be largely unchanged:
-Dsmash (new blur effect, looks sexy)
-Utilt
-Usmash (speculative, but I would be surprised to not see a nerf considering the utility with new Dthrow)
-Bair

Last edited:

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
The new down throw looks like it has more versitaile follow ups! As long as we can land an Fsmash I'm happy! I just hope ROB gets forward tilt buffed to Brawl range at least! Projectiles overall may be faster....super hyped to see changes!! All of Smash 4 updates nerfed ROB so I hope things are different this time!! Beep boop bop blip!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Whatever screw you, you make a good title then if you're so smart.

I have been absolutely STARVED of new info on this game, outside of a few people tweeting things it's been a wasteland out there. Even characters in the demo you barely can find concrete stuff on, so imagine how little our poor sweet Ro-boy has confirmed thus far.

1. Dthrow
https://youtu.be/NqL7m9CuGD0?t=14
Lets get the easy one out of the way first. Dthrow now buries. I know, it made me sad at first too. But! Holy **** this could be a buff of unspeakable levels if we don't see usmash nerfed. For those who may not know, the way the bury mechanic is smash works (or rather, has worked thus far) is that the initial hit that unburies them gives significantly less knockback. That's very easily negated by usmash, as the first hit is just the linking hit on the ground and not the actual booster explosion at the top. I've also heard whispers of silly things like utilt into uairs or even z drop gyro into setups, much like we see done at ledge but instead just ... whenever. Oh, and take this with a grain of salt, but I've also seen people saying they though his grab range looked a bit better. I can't say I see that, but the rest seems very promising!

2. SideB
https://twitter.com/umeboshia_0w/status/1006871962352664576
MUCH harder to spot, but this sure seems like we're looking at what's historically been, for lack of a better phrase, 'ROB's garbage move for bad players'. Potentially massive range increase if I'm seeing this right, but VERY hard to be overly sure.
D-Throw burial is gonna be a huge buff. I'll take a guaranteed Up Smash that kills maybe slightly later than a beep boop that isn't that hard to avoid any day. And there's so much else you can almost certainly do, like:

D-Throw -> N-Air -> U-Smash (low percents)
D-Throw -> N-Air -> U-Air (mid percents)

And more aspirational things, like:

D-Throw -> F-Air -> Footstool -> D-Air

when near the ledge. It's gonna depend a lot on which moves unbury the opponent and what the hitstun is like but it's starting to look like ROB can do much nastier punishes from a grab - which does look like it has a bit better range now.

The Side-B is a great spot that I completely missed!

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Also might want to take note that F-throw sends people at around an 85 degree angle up for Rob now to. You can see it used on Sukapon in the fighter clip short. Exactly what this means at this point is unclear as we don't see percents or overall stun from the video, but at the very least it looks to not be a kill throw option for the ledge.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Big update going up after work today, few new things that should be veeeery interesting!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This is an excellent thread!

So, distilling the changes, it looks like we've got improved range on attacks to keep the opponent out, and a buffed grab game to punish those who get in.

I really like this, because it doesn't much change the game plan I've always used with the character: zone them and punish poor offense. It just potentially makes the zoning slightly safer and the punishes more lethal.

Speaking of the punishes, I've been playing around a little with ROB in practice mode in Sm4sh, using Pitfalls to bury the opponent and then seeing what you can do to a buried opponent. Which moves are useful vary with percent, but in general D-Tilt was the best at tacking on damage without unburying them (5% a pop and doesn't knock them out until well past kill percent, ~185% for Bowser) and N-Air was the most useful unburying move because it easily links into a few things:

N-Air -> F-Air
N-Air -> U-Air
N-Air -> U-Tilt -> U-Air (most damaging option I found, 24% from this string and I haven't included the damage of the throw)
N-Air -> U-Smash
N-Air -> Footstool -> D-Air

Gyro doesn't seem to knock them out till reasonably late so if you can get the following string:

D-Throw -> Down-B -> N-Air -> U-Tilt -> U-Air

Then you've potentially tagged on some >40% damage and got a gyro in hand to improve your positioning.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Does it change if gyro is thrown down vs z dropped?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Wait what? First we've got wave landing back and now Glide tossing? Next thing you know we're gonna be able to spike jacket Ness again.

Seriously though, if glide tossing is back and R.O.B.s is as potent as was in Brawl then glide toss > usmash is back, not to mention all the spacing and zoning options he gets from the mobility. Man, as much as I wanted ROB in the test build to see this stuff, I'm pretty sure no one would've played him anyway.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Wait what? First we've got wave landing back and now Glide tossing? Next thing you know we're gonna be able to spike jacket Ness again.

Seriously though, if glide tossing is back and R.O.B.s is as potent as was in Brawl then glide toss > usmash is back, not to mention all the spacing and zoning options he gets from the mobility. Man, as much as I wanted ROB in the test build to see this stuff, I'm pretty sure no one would've played him anyway.
Yep! Apparently Sakurai himself was using it. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkI5vqN1Ng0

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Assuming being buried is similar to Sm4sh, there'll be frames after the opponent gets out of the buried state where they can't do anything
This means that even if the weak grounded hit of usmash isn't strong enough to get the opponent out of the ground, you can simply time an usmash to hit them after they get out. Same applies to utilt and any aerial. You can also footstool and then try to follow up with a dair. Footstools can't be teched and meteors lock opponents on the ground until certain percents and after that, they're still forced to pop up off the ground since they can't tech. This is all assuming it acts similar to Sm4sh. Oh and if you have a gyro nearby then you can use that too.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
We actually know footstools CAN be teched now! Everything else you said sounds very plausible, but one thing I caution you all to not get too excited for is glide tossing. Sakurai already has a precedence for taking away tech like that from demo to release (dacus was available in smash4 as late as version 1.0 if I remember right).

This is speculation, but I've always gotten the impression he considers stuff like that as exploits and tries to remove them. Wavelanding is possible, but clearly has had a LOT of work put into it to prevent it from being anything like in melee (lots of lag, and locks out air dodges until you get far enough into the air to prevent wavedashing). Glide tossing very much would likely fall into this category and has been intentionally cut once before. Just don't be top sad if we lose it =p

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
We actually know footstools CAN be teched now! Everything else you said sounds very plausible, but one thing I caution you all to not get too excited for is glide tossing. Sakurai already has a precedence for taking away tech like that from demo to release (dacus was available in smash4 as late as version 1.0 if I remember right).

This is speculation, but I've always gotten the impression he considers stuff like that as exploits and tries to remove them. Wavelanding is possible, but clearly has had a LOT of work put into it to prevent it from being anything like in melee (lots of lag, and locks out air dodges until you get far enough into the air to prevent wavedashing). Glide tossing very much would likely fall into this category and has been intentionally cut once before. Just don't be top sad if we lose it =p
It's more interesting because Sakurai himself used it. He clearly knew it was there.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Possibly, but we can't guarantee that was on purpose. It's just as likely he accidentally performed it; we won't know for sure until we see the final version.

That being said, it's def relevant enough to ROB to be worth a mention in the OP. I'll get it added tonight!

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Do we know what form of glide tossing is in SSBU? In Brawl, the best method was a roll cancelled item toss but in Sm4sh, the best method was a jump cancelled item toss. Both forms of it existed in both Brawl and Sm4sh iirc but the more effective one changed between the two games.

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
Hyped enough to return to the boards! Good analysis of the changes.

If it's anything like last game, Arm Rotor could actually be a safe finisher after DThrow. The duration of bury is variable based on mashing... But Arm Rotor's long animation means the enemy will pop out and be trapped in it regardless (so long as R.O.B. accounts for %). Leading to the final blow having full knockback.

Not as flashy as gyro drop / footstool plays, but perhaps more reliable. We will also have to see the percent at which UThrow KO's.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Do we know what form of glide tossing is in SSBU? In Brawl, the best method was a roll cancelled item toss but in Sm4sh, the best method was a jump cancelled item toss. Both forms of it existed in both Brawl and Sm4sh iirc but the more effective one changed between the two games.
The type Sakurai does in the video I linked previously is a roll cancel - you can see him perform the input for it if you watch the player camera. The distance is also much further than you'd expect from a jump cancel.

If it's anything like last game, Arm Rotor could actually be a safe finisher after DThrow. The duration of bury is variable based on mashing... But Arm Rotor's long animation means the enemy will pop out and be trapped in it regardless (so long as R.O.B. accounts for %). Leading to the final blow having full knockback.

Not as flashy as gyro drop / footstool plays, but perhaps more reliable. We will also have to see the percent at which UThrow KO's.
Welcome back!

I agree that gyro drop and footstool plays are likely not all that reliable. For a gyro drop, you need to have a gyro which is unlikely if you've just thrown them and they'll probably mash out before you spawn them. For footstool plays you need to read their DI as they pop out and they can apparently tech out anyway.

With that said it's just going to be a question of what gets you the most consistent damage. This is going to depend on the opponents percentage because the moves that unbury an opponent vary based on your percentage.

My naive assumption from the time I've spent playing around in training mode is that at lower percentages moves like Side B and Smash attacks - that is, moves that are gonna deal a good chunk of damage but don't necessarily link - are going to work well whilst at higher percentages things like N-Air start doing beautiful things and letting you get longer guaranteed strings.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Random thought, but the new air dodge being limited to one use is a huuuge buff to offstage lasers. Either they take the hit and damage or burn their one air dodge and are that much more vunerable while recovering.

****in wake me up in December please

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Everything looks great so far, but that new dthrow has me iffy. I want to be optimistic but it's not going to be an easy change. I'm going to be up airing out of habit for like the first 3 months of this game anyways lmao.

although **** like

If it's anything like last game, Arm Rotor could actually be a safe finisher after DThrow. The duration of bury is variable based on mashing... But Arm Rotor's long animation means the enemy will pop out and be trapped in it regardless (so long as R.O.B. accounts for %)./QUOTE]

and

Random thought, but the new air dodge being limited to one use is a huuuge buff to offstage lasers.
has me pretty excited to explore the new possibilities in this game.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Everything looks great so far, but that new dthrow has me iffy. I want to be optimistic but it's not going to be an easy change. I'm going to be up airing out of habit for like the first 3 months of this game anyways lmao.

although **** like
Even if you're not excited about the possibilities of longer strings out of this, if you assume moves deal the same damage and knockback as in Smash 4, then:

Beep Boop:
1) Deals 20% damage
2) Kills Mario in Omega Battlefield at 97% in training mode
3) Is not a true combo with DI

D-Throw U-Smash:
1) Deals 27% (uncharged)
2) Kills Mario in Omega Battlefield earlier (don't have an exact percentage for you)
3) Is a true combo

This is just straight up better.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
That assumes a lot, we can't say for sure until we know for sure usmash has identical knockback and damage. But I do agree that it's almost certainly a nice little buff for us!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Crazy idea that just came to mind but from what I've heard, landing lag is universally lower and so drag down uair could be a thing. Couple that with our new dthrow and you could end up with a psuedo chaingrab. Probably too good to be true though. They could easily patch uair to avoid that if it does end up being a thing and with uair being a multihit move, it could also be DI'd out of. All assuming of course that drag down uair to grab is a thing.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
That assumes a lot, we can't say for sure until we know for sure usmash has identical knockback and damage. But I do agree that it's almost certainly a nice little buff for us!
Of course, but Up Smash would have to have a pretty hefty nerf for it to be a worse option. Ill take a guaranteed kill from a grab that benefits from rage over a 50/50 which is destroyed by rage and that the opponent regularly falls out of any day.

Crazy idea that just came to mind but from what I've heard, landing lag is universally lower and so drag down uair could be a thing. Couple that with our new dthrow and you could end up with a psuedo chaingrab. Probably too good to be true though. They could easily patch uair to avoid that if it does end up being a thing and with uair being a multihit move, it could also be DI'd out of. All assuming of course that drag down uair to grab is a thing.
I think it will depend on how long grab immunity is and how long down throw buries for.

Another potential option at lower percents that is much easier to pull off would be:

Grab -> D-Throw -> SH N-Air -> Regrab

This would potentially be possible because at lower percents (in 4, at least) N-Air will break the burial but barely send them anywhere thanks to the reduced knockback. There's potential for a jab 1 after the N-Air to help link things too.

In this way you could hypothetically get a 50% combo at certain ranges from the following:

1) Grab
2) D-Throw (10%)
3) SH N-Air (6%)
4) Regrab
5) D-Throw (10%)
6) N-Air (6%)
7) U-Tilt (8%)
8) U-Air (10%)

Obviously ignore the staling and fact I've assumed the other moves work the same. It's just theories and reasons to be excited.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Even if you're not excited about the possibilities of longer strings out of this, if you assume moves deal the same damage and knockback as in Smash 4, then:

Beep Boop:
1) Deals 20% damage
2) Kills Mario in Omega Battlefield at 97% in training mode
3) Is not a true combo with DI

D-Throw U-Smash:
1) Deals 27% (uncharged)
2) Kills Mario in Omega Battlefield earlier (don't have an exact percentage for you)
3) Is a true combo

This is just straight up better.
In Smash 4, usmash does not drag people out of a grounded state. The launcher hitbox hits them, but it doesn't always drag them up. Bad theory crafting like this is why I'm not 100% confident in it being a good change.

The first thing that comes to mind for me would be dropping the gyro from above the grounded opponent, hopefully in such a way that it will be right above them as they pop out, and then getting u smash or uair kill confirms off of that. If that works and is consistent, we could possibly chain grab at low%s. But even if the combo opportunities are lowered, at least it still gives us the opportunity for easy consistent damage R.O.B is missing in Smash 4.

If what people are saying about Nair hitting people out of grounded state easily still applies, and R.O.B's nair combos are similar to smash 4, then thats pretty much a guaranteed 30-40 damage off of one dthrow, like grab > dthrow > nair > grab > uthrow > uair. Although now looking at your other post I see you've already covered this. But again, this is all assuming everything else is the same. R.O.B only received nerfs in Smash 4, the trend could continue.

Crazy idea that just came to mind but from what I've heard, landing lag is universally lower and so drag down uair could be a thing.
I never even considered this but I hope so, I absolutely love doing drag down uair stuff now, although it doesn't really work in Smash 4.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
In Smash 4, usmash does not drag people out of a grounded state. The launcher hitbox hits them, but it doesn't always drag them up. Bad theory crafting like this is why I'm not 100% confident in it being a good change.

The first thing that comes to mind for me would be dropping the gyro from above the grounded opponent, hopefully in such a way that it will be right above them as they pop out, and then getting u smash or uair kill confirms off of that. If that works and is consistent, we could possibly chain grab at low%s. But even if the combo opportunities are lowered, at least it still gives us the opportunity for easy consistent damage R.O.B is missing in Smash 4.

If what people are saying about Nair hitting people out of grounded state easily still applies, and R.O.B's nair combos are similar to smash 4, then thats pretty much a guaranteed 30-40 damage off of one dthrow, like grab > dthrow > nair > grab > uthrow > uair. Although now looking at your other post I see you've already covered this. But again, this is all assuming everything else is the same. R.O.B only received nerfs in Smash 4, the trend could continue.
Steady on, mate!

Whether or not a move unburies the opponent depends not on the move itself, but on how much knockback they receive from it. Boot up training mode and mess about with it. Pretty much none of your moves will unbury them at 0%, whereas even your Down Tilt does when you reach 200% or so.

I can assure you that you can get the launcher hitbox to drag the opponent out of a grounded state. It's not hugely consistent at lower percentages, but bury your training dummy at 80% and try a slightly charged Up Smash. I can assure you it works.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
It's not something I've actually labbed, but I know it's been nothing but consistent to kill off ZSS bury for dubs for me at least. Dunno if I think calling it bad theory crafting is accurate, especially when we're all working off a grand total of like 20 seconds of ROB related footage lol

Informant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep! Hopefully they jump out at the perfect height to get hit with a clean Up Smash. Since smash attacks can be charged much longer, we just charge charge charge until they jump out. We would just have to practice our timing to release the Up Smash as soon as they unburry themselves. If your smashes/back air are stale then just sneak in a few jabs, down tilt, and/or gyro to refresh them a bit!

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Dunno if I think calling it bad theory crafting is accurate, especially when we're all working off a grand total of like 20 seconds of ROB related footage lol
That's the exact reason I said it was bad theory crafting haha. Too bad he wasn't playable in the demo, then we'd have plenty to go off of.

Beep! Hopefully they jump out at the perfect height to get hit with a clean Up Smash. Since smash attacks can be charged much longer, we just charge charge charge until they jump out. We would just have to practice our timing to release the Up Smash as soon as they unburry themselves. If your smashes/back air are stale then just sneak in a few jabs, down tilt, and/or gyro to refresh them a bit!
I forgot about them changing the duration of charged smashes! That does give us a bit more options, albeit they would have to be hard reads haha. One thing I was also considering was: When an opponent is buried, that gives us a gyro in hand immediately. Typically you'd have to throw out an uncharged one that still goes a few character distances away, but you could just shoot one at the grounded opponent and it will stop right when it hits them. That gives us even more options.

But really at the end of the day, we shouldn't be getting too ahead of ourselves. There are still plenty more changes to come!

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'm with you there man, it's just a bit overkill to shoot him down like that when really, he's right about what he said. Yes, at low percents that won't work and it won't launch, but we wouldn't want to be staling usmash that early in the first place. No more 'bad theorycrafting' than talking about any other followups that we can't know work til we see more stuff (we're blatantly on the same page here I just like to argue)

You raise an interesting point that I'd overlooked til now though. I'd considered gyro setups out of the bury, but I'm not sure we have time to set it up effectively considering we need to get in front of them, shoot the gyro, pick it up, and then drop it before they mash out. Could be possible (and flashy af) but it seems to me that gyro options will be difficult unless maybe it's already just spinning nearby.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep. Who knows what trajectory, speed, and damage Gyro will do now...assuming the attack even makes it into this game. Vanilla Brawl, Brawl +, Brawl -, and Smash 4 (including customs) all had way different Gryo properties, so if this game is more offensive-based, we can expect some strong changes :) we can all agree 2 vs 2 will have insane combos! Since we can snipe and live longer on multi battles, we will really shine in team battles!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If upsmash doesn't combo out of downthrow I wonder if you can:
Hit enemy w/ gyro > SH/FH > Insta toss gyro down > and upsmash after they get hit by gyro.
Prob not enough time, but might have to explore options like this.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Well as far as burrow into upsmash, at the very least the concept looks solid as far as this Inkling clip shows. As long as it's similar for ROB then we have a very easy kill confirm from grab. At least if they don't change the burrow mechanics from this build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9YV3qo4oU

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209

1FC0

Smash Lord
6. Fthrow

New animation, new angle, this move seems built fresh from the ground up. Technically could be a different throw, but I'm pretty confident that it matches well with fthrow considering he's throwing something... forward. Gone are the days of the laziest throw animation in the world, now we get like a baseball toss and that's pretty cool! Shows that they're really taking a critical eye to these characters and putting some serious love into them.
How do you know that is his Fthrow? I am fearing that this might be his new Upthrow.

Last edited:

Slug King

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlugKing
How do you know that is his Fthrow? I am fearing that this might be his new Upthrow.
The animation has him throw sukapon forward (like a football), and the angle he goes at doesn't resemble straight upwards, which it would be if it were uthrow with no DI. There's the slightest chance it could be uthrow but it's most likely a new fthrow

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Very possible actually, but I'm thinking about it from a design viewpoint. Fthrow is pretty boring, he just like pushes them away. A lot of the moves that are getting redone entirely are ones that had really lazy animations, and that ain't Uthrow lol

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The arc on the new throw is quite high. I took a look at the following video to see if I could find other Forward Throws with similarly high arcs:

Sheik and DK have pretty high angles, and Kirby and Sonic have extremely high angled Forward Throws (killing off the top when thrown near the ledge at kill percent). It's not unreasonable that this is either a new Forward or Up Throw; the angle does make it difficult to tell.

My two cents are that I think and hope it's a new forward throw, as I am a big fan of the old Up Throw - and even if it's outclassed for kill options out of a throw now, it is still a beautiful option to suicide kill with.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I hadn't even thought of that, if it's -not- changed then it really is just a bad choice compared to Dthrow usmash (assuming that works). Still agree that I'd desperately miss dropping people off Dreamland with it at 0 tho

Top Bottom