• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your reaction to the reveal of Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"Is...she an actual character or just a skin? Kinda hoping for the latter since I've never cared for clones"
This. I'd rather have almost no effort put into a costume instead of balanceing and whatnot for a Marth clone.Either way, I'm not too happy.

Robin, on the other hand, looks interesting and fun even though I'm not a huge fan of FE:A.

But the golden C. Falcon stole the show for me.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
My reaction was....WHAT?!?!?! YES!!!!! omg...I couldn't believe it...what with the whole Gematsu thing, I was just praying she would be an alt. costume for Marth. But no, she' her own character and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! So happy.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It says Newcomer in a big bright red box when you click on her profile.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I know she has a larger banner on the mobile version. If she did on the desktop version, the character page would look something like this (I did this quickly on GIMP):

See, it would have two empty veteran spots. I think once we get more vets they will have her with a larger banner, but if they did it like that it looks kind of disorganized. Even one more veteran will work (next to Robin), because we have had a newcomer on its own row before.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Just glad Robin saved her from being disconfirmed alongside her father. And now that it has been made evident that Captain Falcon has been falcon punching people off the roster, someone needs to get him under control.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm convinced that she will be an alt skin that you can toggle on/off from Marth's slot, like what happens with Kuma and Panda in Tekken games.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Step 1: Confusion. She's not even the main character of Awakening, and I didn't know Robin made it, too yet.

Step 2: AAAAAAARGH.

Step 3: Relief, when I saw that her standard attacks were different in the OP of the discussion thread. She'll be more like Brawl Falco than Melee Falco.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
She has her newcomer banner on the mobile version of the site.

Here:

Users of other non-mobile devices will just get the veteran square for Lucina.
It's probably how the sites work. The mobile version puts all the newcomers up top and take up an entire row. The veterans are at the bottom with 3 per row. The main site just organizes it by reveal and makes it fit where it can. She has a smaller box because her video and artwork are under Robin as they share it. So there is no need for the normal newcomer box.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
As I staunch Chrom advocate, I got to hand it to Lucina and her supporters.

With the advent of the Awakening protag trio, Smashboards hasn't seen so much debate internally within a series even during Brawl. The fans of hatred shall be extinguished for the most part. I'll still hold some odium for Lucina. But I'll gorw fond of her in time. Besides, if she is a Marth remodel, that just gives me more incentive to use her.

It seems her supporters are satisfied that she's turning up to be a "clone." This was one reason I loathed the idea of her in the first place. Even then, a lot of movesets and styles interpreted to Chrom could have been sticked onto her for a more solid character. No offense, but she just seems faulty in a game where clones, for the most part, are a thing of the past.

Well, enjoy your reward! Your hope never died. :4lucina:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I saw the trailer, I said "Arena Ferox?" I saw Chrom laying on the ground and Lucina comes out and I said "Lucina?" *Lucina's intro* I SAID "OH, OH THE DETHRONEMNT OF SAL!" Then our Lord Captain Falcon showed up and said "YES!" Then after Captain Falcon and saw the beams from Robin and I said "SHULK,YES!" Then seeing it wasn't Shulk, I was like who? After I realized it was Robin, I screamed "Robin!?" Then I didn't even pay attention to the trailer, I just kept on saying "THIS IS THE DETHRONEMENT OF SAL ROMANO, IT'S OVER!" Then I saw Chrom on the ground & I said maybe not? Then he said he'd wait for another day.

Then for two hours I was deciding whether or not if I should hold faith for Sal? I still haven't decided.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
>Trusting leaks.

Maybe I should have written my dream roster 2 years ago, because I pretty much predicted everyone.

I lost my chance at being famous.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I screamed when i saw her and then saw the infamous '?!' and thought she was about to get up staged by chrom. started shouting 'STAY DOWN CHROM'. i was worried that robin took her spot, then it showed her gameplay and i was pretty :)
STAY DOWN CHROM :joyful:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
My reaction was at first shock that it wasn't Shulk, then shocked it wasn't Chrom, then even more shocked that Lucina literally got added for the thing that Roy got removed for. Being a clone, and a much more uninspired one at that. And I'm not okay with that. I like Lucina and all... But if this is how Roy is going to be treated after the whole gripe of clones, then I'd rather Lucina not be added to the game at all.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
My reaction was at first shock that it wasn't Shulk, then shocked it wasn't Chrom, then even more shocked that Lucina literally got added for the thing that Roy got removed for. Being a clone, and a much more uninspired one at that. And I'm not okay with that. I like Lucina and all... But if this is how Roy is going to be treated after the whole gripe of clones, then I'd rather Lucina not be added to the game at all.
Lucina deserved that spot, but I'm surprised they made her a clone since no one doubts Sakurai's ability to make a completely unique moveset out of any character. There must be a good reason why.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Lucina deserved that spot, but I'm surprised they made her a clone since no one doubts Sakurai's ability to make a completely unique moveset out of any character. There must be a good reason why.
I never said she didn't deserve the spot. But she certainly doesn't deserve to be Roy's replacement either. With Toon Link over Young Link, it actually made sense. But the logic being used here... Roy is a fan favorite in the Smash Community. And to add Lucina to do the same thing that was originally the purpose of Roy, and do an even lazier job than before, is poor game development.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm convinced that she will be an alt skin that you can toggle on/off from Marth's slot, like what happens with Kuma and Panda in Tekken games.
Honestly, I would be okay with this. Not cool, Sakurai... making a female Marth clone... SMH

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't care about her gender. I'm talking about how she's a clone of Marth.

TerumiLOLZ

Smash Apprentice
Well all the newcomers have either a piece of artwork or their pic takes up alot of space (Mii's)
Lucina's artwork is already in Robin's page so it wouldn't make too much sense to have the same artwork on both pages.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I don't care about her gender. I'm talking about how she's a clone of Marth.
You might as well just get used to it, clones are not gonna be a thing of the past after all. There is Toon Link, Falco, Lucas and Ganondorf are most likely coming back as clones. I wouldn't be suprised if Mewtwo and Lucario become semi-clones of each other.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
With regards to the 'Veteran' box on the PC site, I'd say that it was designed that way because they wanted to use up an entire row and not leave blank space. It looks much nicer as it is than it would've with empty space to the sides of the boxes, which is important because it's one of the first things people see when they visit the site; they'd want it to look consistent, even and visually as nice as possible.
Still, the lack of clarification on this is a little annoying. :p

EDIT: Never mind, this is obviously not true because the site updates dynamically according to window size.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You might as well just get used to it, clones are not gonna be a thing of the past after all. There is Toon Link, Falco, Lucas and Ganondorf are most likely coming back as clones. I wouldn't be suprised if Mewtwo and Lucario become semi-clones of each other.
But it doesn't have to be. I'm disappointed that Sakurai made Lucina a clone on purpose and kept Toon Link a clone on purpose... especially when there's no time constraints. I'm going to be more disappointed if Sakurai kept Ganondorf a clone of Captain Falcon on purpose.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I know she has a larger banner on the mobile version. If she did on the desktop version, the character page would look something like this (I did this quickly on GIMP):

See, it would have two empty veteran spots. I think once we get more vets they will have her with a larger banner, but if they did it like that it looks kind of disorganized. Even one more veteran will work (next to Robin), because we have had a newcomer on its own row before.
This is the smartest thing.

Emitan

Smash Rookie
But it doesn't have to be. I'm disappointed that Sakurai made Lucina a clone on purpose and kept Toon Link a clone on purpose... especially when there's no time constraints. I'm going to be more disappointed if Sakurai kept Ganondorf a clone of Captain Falcon on purpose.
Why aren't there time constraints? I really doubt there would be any clones at all if Sakurai had all the time he wanted.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I gasped pretty loudly at the Lucina reveal and startled my co-worker in the break room, lol. I really wanted Lucina and Chrom Team up, but her by herself, even as a clone is AWESOME. Really happy with today's reveals.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why aren't there time constraints? I really doubt there would be any clones at all if Sakurai had all the time he wanted.
Well, for starters, Sakurai has Namco working on the game... and Namco has more experience in making fighting games than Sakurai does. Why waste time purposefully making more clones and keeping Toon Link a clone? It isn't like Melee where Sakurai made clones in the last minute to buff the roster because he had only one year and 6 months to make the game on time for the Gamecube launch. It isn't like Brawl where Sakurai made/kept clones in the last minute to buff the roster because he spent too much time making Subspace Emissary.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I laughed for a good thirty seconds, because it wasn't Shulk. There was a couple yells of, "Sakurai fooled us all!" in there too. Hadn't laughed so hard in a long time.

But yeah, I'm happy she's in.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
The fact that I was watching the live stream in the classroom (with headphones) was the only thing keeping me from jumping up and down like a drunken lemur. Though I kept mine face a glacial mask, I felt like mine nervous system would go haywire any moment.

As you can see in mine signature, Lucina was mine most wanted Fire Emblem newcomer. [Shrugs] Well, it was originally Lyn, but with her deconfirmed, Lucina was next in line.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I never said she didn't deserve the spot. But she certainly doesn't deserve to be Roy's replacement either. With Toon Link over Young Link, it actually made sense. But the logic being used here... Roy is a fan favorite in the Smash Community. And to add Lucina to do the same thing that was originally the purpose of Roy, and do an even lazier job than before, is poor game development.
Roy was added in for promotion for the GBA game, he isn't relevant anymore and it would be a waste to add him back. I love Roy, but I'm a bigger fan of Lucina

DivinexRose

Smash Cadet
Despite her being a clone newcomer, I'm actually happy she and Robin are in it. The pesky Gematsu leak is dead, opening some doors here.

That, and I'm okay with maining her since she's one of my favorite female game characters.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Lucina's awesome and I can't wait to play as her. I was very excited to see her and Captain Falcon fighting. Not being Shulk when I was expecting Shulk and had resigned myself to Gematsu inevitability reinvigorated my hype for character reveal vids, which had been waning after a series of very predictable E3 reveals.

xelasseh

Smash Apprentice
Besides Mega Man being my top wanted, Lucina (and Greninja) were my other wanted newcomers. While I expected Mega Man, I did not expect the other two to even have a shot. The Greninja reveal blew me away being unexpected, then today with Lucina, I died and was revived by based Sakurai.

I feel lucky as hell to have my top three wanted newcomers in the new Smash Bros, seriously what are the odds. This is gonna be the best Smash ever.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Very happy 'cause Gematsu got rekt.

And it helps that I like Lucina, Marth's moves, and don't mind semi-clones. She's the first Nintendo newcomer that I like (Daraen/Robin too obviously).

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Alright, enough lurking, my girl is in and it's time for me to start posting.

This is wrong, though. Not only have we continuously seen the page reformatted to fit characters in evenly, given what was revealed today, Robin, Lucina, and Captain Falcon alone would take up the top line (two newcomers and a veteran, just like we see on the second and third row right now), and so everything below them would be exactly the same as it was before this update if Lucina had a full size banner. Spacing is definitely not the reason for this.

The best reason I can think of is that she shares her video and artwork with Robin, so they just left her smaller box next to Robin instead of giving a bunch of space to either a repeat video/artwork or an otherwise lacking newcomer page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom