• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your inspiration to play Jigglypuff?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I secondary Puff, mostly against my friend who plays a very good Falco. My Puff can actually beat him a decent percent of the time, and he gets really flustered since he still hasn't been able to effectively counter me.

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
Because jigglypuff seems to require lower Inputs Per Second than other characters.

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
This is true, but don't be fooled into thinking this makes Puff an easy character to be successful with.
True, but it means that it's easier to be... fluent in Jigglypuff, if that makes sense. I don't want to be fighting my controller or my hands, I want to be fighting my opponent.

SimplyMilk

Smash Rookie
Puff is cute.
That was one of my main reasons for playing her back in the 64 days. I played her a lot in Melee, too, and only stopped when Brawl came out because I fell in love with Lucas.
Also it was satisfying landing that rest.

Once I was convinced to fall into the competitive scene, I was told that Puff is an extremely viable character, so I picked her back up from my childhood.

I love her mobility, and I think that I could find new ways to use her, rather than abiding by a guide. I've said it many times before, but maybe I'm wrong and I'll just use her properly in a few months, or I'll switch to someone new, but for now, she's still one of my favorites, just like she was when I was a little baby Milk.

I would also like to say that getting a rest in the middle of a fight is even more satisfying than I remember it.

Mixsul

Smash Rookie
I always tended to play defensively so my brother suggested I try Jigglypuff. Her play style was exactly what I was looking for.

Fsink

Smash Rookie
I have been playing jiggs since 64. Being the only jigglypuff main in Nebraska is satisfying and makes me want to play her even more. Others will play her in friendlies but im the only one that wants to climb the ranked ladder in my state. I am making progress. I laugh at people when they say its easy to be jiggs. One of the most difficult/disciplined characters in the game. Spacing, Anticipating, and mind games. All of us jigg mains must be a little insane but were doing work. (Pissing people off bc their Di ****ing blows is the best part.) JIGGS FOR LIFE

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Not even gonna lie, Hungrybox was my inspiration to start maining Puff.
Before I got into competitive Melee, I thought Puff was the joke character. Once I started looking into VODs, I noticed that one person played NOTHING but this "joke character," and achieved some pretty incredible things, which intrigued me enough to start picking her up. Now I can't even THINK about switching, because she requires more mental game than technical, which is exactly how I want to play.

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
The first Melee match I ever watched was HBox. I saw what he was doing with her and it was really, really inspiring. I've mained a lot of characters since then but eventually went back to Puff because it had a special place in my heart. :)

Pafslash

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pafsafasafs
Well, I used to main Marth exclusively, but I pretty much always lost dittos. Mostly because of me being apparently unable to deal with edgeguards or edgeguarding against my opponent. So I picked up Puff because of my own experience maining her in 64, and I needed some dominant air mobility to deal with those pesky edgeguarding Marths.

Also because landing Rest will never stop being the most satisfying thing. Ever.

_DarkLava

Smash Cadet
I want her to counterpart my Marth. I have a hard time against Falco and Sheik as Marth. So I'm trying at Puff to deal with them.

And rest.

KillerGum

Smash Cadet
Because the fox match-up is probably one of the most mentally demanding things I've seen in a video game. And the fact that HungryBox is the only Puff seeing consistent success makes me want to be a top player with Puff.

SlyDog

Smash Cadet
I started playing puff when I played her during an ironman against my best friend @EH | Saiblade . He had knocked me all the way down to puff and I thought I was gonna get completely destroyed. Then once the match started, I started actually getting small puff combos and "wall of pain"s. I didn't exactly have an established main at the time so I decided to stick with puff.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I use Jigglypuff as a secondary . Sometimes using her right after Luigi. Also Jigglypuff is one of my favorite pokemon, she's really fun to play with and getting that rest in is the most satisfying thing ever.

Last edited:

Corona

Smash Apprentice
After years of dabbling with the perfect secondary to my main (Link, for better or for worse), Jigglypuff became the answer to the question due to her matchups against Sheik and Falcon. It is a work in progress, but I will stick with this secondary.

rivers

Smash Cadet
I started playing with hbox when he still lived here and thought puff looked fun, and she is.

Maybe not the best reasoning, but **** it, getting jab-reset rests on scrubby spacies brings me joy.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
When I was an ultra-casual Brawl player and thought Jiggs was terrible, one day I looked on her page on the Brawl DOJO and found out what her down special does, tested it out, and you could say... the rest is history. :p

Jank++

Smash Cadet
I picked puff when when I was a young casual because I liked pokemon and I thought she was a funny character to beat people with. Then I watched the king's rollout video... I didn't actually get into competitive play until a bit later but yeah I wanted to combo like the king haha.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
I used to main Marth but then the two guys I play with most also started playing Marth so all that we'd ever play were Marth dittos. I got tired of that so I decided to try Jigglypuff after watching some Hbox videos and I found that I enjoyed playing her more than Marth. I still consider myself to be more skilled with Marth, due to all the time I put into practicing him, but I have a lot more fun playing Puff, even if I piss my friends off to the point that they try to ban me from playing her.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Watching MOV Play Chun-Li in third strike. Soon as I saw what bair could do to people in a Chun fashion I couldn't say no.

Baegel

Smash Rookie
Me and my friends had just recently started playing melee last school year. None of had much experience with the game, but I remembered from brawl that Jiggs down-b could pack a punch. I decided to be a prick and start dropping it on my unsuspecting friends. Seeing their faces stricken with terror when I fell asleep on them was too satisfying to to continue.

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I only started playing melee last year with my friends. I was trying to establish a main but didn't like the idea of spacies as I thought that they would be too fast for me to handle them. I had watched a few Hungrybox montages and had seen his great rest combos and wanted to try some out. I thought that it would be very funny if I were to use rest on my friends as they are a lot worse than me and see their reactions. I started using puff with my main practice partner (my twin) who mains Dr. Mario. I later found out that it's very hard to rest Dr. Mario but I still love puff and consistently beat him without rest. However, when I play with my friends, they absolutely hate the rest but they call it "sleep" or something and I find it pretty funny.

JellyAlpaca

Smash Rookie
Mine was because I found, for me personally, Jiggs was the easiest character to bounce back in.
I tried all the popular choices but returned to Jiggs.
Then upon learning about Hbox and continuous studying which I still do to this day on her moves and hitboxes, she's still my main and forever fav with her being so difficult.
I'm a weird type of person who enjoys a challenge!

Lapsy143

Smash Rookie
Melee top 8 was when I was determined to become good at Jigglypuff. As a sm4sh only player at the time, I watched Hungrybox play and I was absolutely amazed at how good he was. He made it to top 2, and had some really good matches! After that, I basically just tried playing her all the time, with decent success overall. Now, just yesterday, I got melee to work on Dolphin (cuz i'm too stingy to buy a CRT and a gamecube). I'm trying different characters, but I still feel the most comfortable with Jigglypuff, and I hope to continue staying that way!

SadFlyersFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
SadFlyersFan
Let me tell y'all a little story. Back when I was a wee-babby my brother made a bet that he was so good at reading what I could do that he could falcon punch me at any time. He would get punch after punch after punch on my Ness. I spent weeks trying to find a character that could float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. I didn't (and still don't) play pokemon, so I naturally never had an expectation for the little puffball. My little babby brain figured out what shielding and rolling were (yes i know, laugh at me) and I started weaving in and out trying to bair and fair my way to kills. I actually discovered how to rest by accident when I messed up the input for pound. I got so much better than my bother that he quit playing. Now I have nobody to play with :(

Top Bottom