• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What was your first Smash game?

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
What is the first game in the Super Smash Bros. series that you ever played? For me, Brawl came first (I believe I first got it in 2012).

Whoops, there should be a poll, but I accidentally hit enter instead of shift (darn butterfingers)... Oh well, c'est la vie!

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Brawl. In those days I was scrubbier than a Dark souls noob.

paraparra

Smash Rookie
3DS version was the first for me. I've sat with friends while they played the older versions but I never played.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
Melee was my first game. I used to think Mewtwo was the best character in the game (partially due to Pokemon bias), and I used to think Roy was a close second because he looked quite bad*** and was strong. Those were the days.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Wii U, because it took me so long to realize I should just remind my parents it's Nintendo to get the game. If I had done that before, I probably would have played Brawl first.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Melee at a friend's house. I literally didn't even know that the stick altered your special moves; I'd just pick Kirby and hope that I got the rock this time. Then me and my brothers got a Gamecube, and banned Falco because we could just spam his laser and win. Had a blast anyways though, and Smash has been my favourite series ever since. I've come a long way since then :p

Last edited:

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
Melee with my cousins when we were real little (im talkin like not even 10 yet). Ah, I have fond memories of the Corneria stage, that music gives me chills the nostalgia hits me so hard. We even had dumb nicknames for some of the items we used frequently. I believe we called the giant fan "Mr. Whammy"?

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Smash 64 was my first Smash game.

PajamaJon

Smash Rookie
Melee. Played Brawl for a bit. Found out about the competitive scene. Picked up PM. Used the release of Sm4sh as a way to get into the community.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
N64. My friend had an N64 and I had a playstation. Whenever I hung out as his place we played smash. I immediately loved playing Fox and mained him from day 1 all the way up until the release of brawl.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
While Smash 64 was the first Smash game I witnessed in person (saw some gameplay at a daycare), Melee was the first Smash game I played. It was also my first Gamecube game, and one of my first video games overall. In those days, I wasn't that proficient in Smash and mained Pichu and Mewtwo despite learning later on how bad they are.:laugh:

I also played Smash 64 in the same daycare during that time, though I never owned that game until I bought in the Wii Virtual Console.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash 64 was my first Smash game. My cousin introduced me to ithe series and I remember how noobish I was then.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
The first Smash game I EVER played was Melee, but I was kinda young then. The first one I played a lot was Brawl, destroying three level 7 CPU's in a FFA with my lethal Game&Watch and Lucas play on WarioWare,Inc. and Pictochat. Those were the days!

...now I play Smash 4, and all the other games feel very weird to me. :p

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros 64 was my first one, but I never owned it but rather begged my parents to constantly rent it from Blockbuster (Hey guys, remember THAT?). Kirby and Jigglypuff was also the first characters I mained because in the back of my child like mind at the time they "Were so much easier and better because they can jump so much!". Super Smash Bros Melee was the first one I owned though.

Last edited:

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
Smash 64 is the first one I played, but melee is the one I first owned.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Brawl. Lucas was the first character I played in Smash. My brother had a copy of the game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Melee, even though I owned a Nintendo 64, but I didn't really check releases for that console so I bought out of my own impression by the cover of the games lol. Missed on Smash, Zelda, but I played the vast majority of the other best titles for the console.

Yukirai

Smash Rookie
NNID
sumpoketrainer
my first ever smash game was Super Smash Bro 64 ^^ wish i still have it :(

DeNikSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShaltSaker
Brawl was the first one I owned, around 2011-2012, but eventually my wii broke and I ended up completely forgetting about Smash.

HOWEVER, a couple years later (2015, to be exact) I got Smash 3ds for christmas. That was when I started taking the game seriously, and starting going to tournaments. Eventually I got the Wii U version and a Gamecube controller and everything has been swell since.

Nowadays, I have gotten around to playing all the Smash games, with 64 through an emulator and Melee through a GameCube.

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Melee, played it as a kid but never knew what the hell I was doing.

Smash 64 was the first game I ever played, but only for about 2 minutes.

Didn't play smash again until melee years later, which was the first I owned.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Melee, and I wouldn't rather have had it any other way. It was the perfect game to introduce me to not only Smash, but also Nintendo as a whole.

SN Kurse

Smash Rookie
NNID
benxbaker
I remember 64 back in the day. Don't believe I ever actually owned it? But I do remember renting it out from a local store on a few occasions. I never really played Melee until way further on. It wasn't until years after the fact that I played Brawl at a friends house, and that was what kinda got me back into it and actually playing. At that point, I did begin playing melee, Project M, and such. With the release of the Wii U version, I've since gone strictly to that.

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
Smash 64 around 2000/2001.

I will never forget how it happened either - I went to Blockbuster Video with my cousin to rent out Mario Tennis which I absolutely loved. We got there and somebody had already rented it out. My cousin suggested that we rent out Super Smash Bros. just from looking at the boxart. We brought it home and took turns with each round of the 1P game, and of course I instantly fell in love with it.

I also remember us being super disappointed that we didn't unlock Giant DK, Metal Mario, the Polygons and Master Hand for beating the 1P game having used about 3 or 4 continues on very easy mode. I miss being a dumb kid.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I was there from the start and first heard of smash bros through the debut commercial of super smash bros. (now called smash 64). I got it after about a couple months of me begging for it. Placed it in my N64 and fell in love... then a couple years later I traded it for pokemon cards (in my defense it was after melee came out and I never saw myself ever going back to the original back then).

Top Bottom